Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not A lot Of People Know That 14:40 - Jan 17 with 1804 viewsBoston

....our hosts for the next round of the FA Cup are not actually located within the British mainland, the stadium is found on the island of Portsea. With that in mind, be respectful when overseas, credit to your country and all that.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2019 14:43]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Not A lot Of People Know That on 14:41 - Jan 17 with 1796 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Rangers into Europe!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Not A lot Of People Know That on 14:46 - Jan 17 with 1774 viewsBoston

Not A lot Of People Know That on 14:41 - Jan 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Rangers into Europe!

Can’t be bothered looking it up, but I’m fairly sure that it’s the third largest populated island in the British Isles after Great Britain and Ireland.

Not A lot Of People Know That on 14:59 - Jan 17 with 1732 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Not A lot Of People Know That on 14:46 - Jan 17 by Boston

Can’t be bothered looking it up, but I’m fairly sure that it’s the third largest populated island in the British Isles after Great Britain and Ireland.

Now, now, we'll have none of that old colonial British Isles nonsense!

Not A lot Of People Know That on 15:05 - Jan 17 with 1711 viewssmegma

Not A lot Of People Know That on 14:59 - Jan 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Now, now, we'll have none of that old colonial British Isles nonsense!

So what are they called ??
Not A lot Of People Know That on 15:06 - Jan 17 with 1705 viewsJuzzie

Not only is it not on the mainland, I believe it's the only League (inc. non-League) club/ground in England not on the mainland.

Also, Fratton Park is not in Fratton. It's in Milton. Near Milton Park, near Milton Cemetary so gawd knows why it's called Fratton Park? Maybe because the nearest (and only) train station is called Fratton and they named the ground as such because of that?

Don't forget your passports, E111 cards, jabs etc. and ask the locals if Brexit will affect them.
Not A lot Of People Know That on 15:17 - Jan 17 with 1675 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Not A lot Of People Know That on 15:05 - Jan 17 by smegma

Call them whatever you like, me ol' mate.

Ireland has always objected to the inclusion of the Irish islands in the term British Isles.

Which makes Portsea the second most populous island in the British Isles, I suppose.

Not A lot Of People Know That on 15:20 - Jan 17 with 1661 viewssmegma

Not A lot Of People Know That on 15:17 - Jan 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Call them whatever you like, me ol' mate.

Ireland has always objected to the inclusion of the Irish islands in the term British Isles.

Which makes Portsea the second most populous island in the British Isles, I suppose.

So we'll call them the British Isles then
Not A lot Of People Know That on 15:24 - Jan 17 with 1648 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Not A lot Of People Know That on 15:20 - Jan 17 by smegma

So we'll call them the British Isles then

Ok, but no more lifts to Brentford in my banged-out motor for you, then!

Login to get fewer ads

Not A lot Of People Know That on 15:42 - Jan 17 with 1614 viewssmegma

Not A lot Of People Know That on 15:24 - Jan 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Ok, but no more lifts to Brentford in my banged-out motor for you, then!

JUst out of interest, what were you taught to call them in school??
Not A lot Of People Know That on 15:52 - Jan 17 with 1589 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Not A lot Of People Know That on 15:42 - Jan 17 by smegma

JUst out of interest, what were you taught to call them in school??

Nothing, really. We don't tend to group them together, so we don't use a collective term for them in geography.

Back then, with war raging, the term 'British Isles' - if it was ever heard at all - stirred anger in many, as did people referring to Britain as 'The Mainland' as if we were still an island of the U.K.

Now, the term seems anachronistic, belonging to a bygone era when words were far, far more dangerous. Let's hope those days are gone for good.

Not A lot Of People Know That on 16:36 - Jan 17 with 1503 viewsozranger

Not A lot Of People Know That on 15:06 - Jan 17 by Juzzie

Not only is it not on the mainland, I believe it's the only League (inc. non-League) club/ground in England not on the mainland.

Also, Fratton Park is not in Fratton. It's in Milton. Near Milton Park, near Milton Cemetary so gawd knows why it's called Fratton Park? Maybe because the nearest (and only) train station is called Fratton and they named the ground as such because of that?

Don't forget your passports, E111 cards, jabs etc. and ask the locals if Brexit will affect them.

Hate to be a spoil sport Juzzie but Guernsey play in the Bostik SE (Step 8). Perhaps not as big as Portsea but I guess the players actually fly there for the games which must be fun in the middle of winter. Smeg would have pointed this out as well. Jersey have applied to enter the non-league next season as well in the Combined Counties League.
Not A lot Of People Know That on 16:46 - Jan 17 with 1472 viewshoopsmark

Ah good old 🇬🇬, my place of birth...
Not A lot Of People Know That on 16:47 - Jan 17 with 1469 viewsJuzzie

Not A lot Of People Know That on 16:36 - Jan 17 by ozranger

Hate to be a spoil sport Juzzie but Guernsey play in the Bostik SE (Step 8). Perhaps not as big as Portsea but I guess the players actually fly there for the games which must be fun in the middle of winter. Smeg would have pointed this out as well. Jersey have applied to enter the non-league next season as well in the Combined Counties League.

I re-checked my source (not disbelieving you but just to double-check what I read) and it says "Fratton Park is currently the only stadium in English professional football that is not on the mainland island of Great Britain," so yes, I stand corrected as it applied to 'professional' football :)
Not A lot Of People Know That on 17:11 - Jan 17 with 1413 viewsPeterHucker

excluding London, Portsmouth is also the most densely populated area of the UK.
Not A lot Of People Know That on 17:26 - Jan 17 with 1375 viewssmegma

Not A lot Of People Know That on 16:36 - Jan 17 by ozranger

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogercychwrndrobwilliantsiliogogogoch FC **don't play on the mainland along with 6 other teams based in Anglesey.

**excuse me If I spelt the name wrong**
Not A lot Of People Know That on 17:29 - Jan 17 with 1364 viewsPinnerPaul

Not A lot Of People Know That on 15:06 - Jan 17 by Juzzie

Not true as can be seen from below - sorry!

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/sport/football/2018/09/21/jersey-fc-to-enter-uk-le
Not A lot Of People Know That on 17:30 - Jan 17 with 1361 viewsPinnerPaul

Not A lot Of People Know That on 17:29 - Jan 17 by PinnerPaul

Not true as can be seen from below - sorry!

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/sport/football/2018/09/21/jersey-fc-to-enter-uk-le

Sorry, someone beat me to that!
Not A lot Of People Know That on 18:09 - Jan 17 with 1294 viewsJuzzie

Not A lot Of People Know That on 17:30 - Jan 17 by PinnerPaul

Sorry, someone beat me to that!

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I had corrected myself :)
Not A lot Of People Know That on 18:16 - Jan 17 with 1276 viewsPinnerPaul

Not A lot Of People Know That on 18:09 - Jan 17 by Juzzie

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I had corrected myself :)

Yeah sorry!

Memo to self - read whole thread before posting

Footnote - This does NOT apply to any thread about the B word.
Not A lot Of People Know That on 19:11 - Jan 17 with 1187 viewsBoston

Not A lot Of People Know That on 18:16 - Jan 17 by PinnerPaul

Yeah sorry!

Memo to self - read whole thread before posting

Footnote - This does NOT apply to any thread about the B word.

But it is old man, Br....itain.

Not A lot Of People Know That on 12:19 - Jan 18 with 935 viewsMrSheen

Not A lot Of People Know That on 15:05 - Jan 17 by smegma

Academic history books started referring to the "Atlantic Islands", about the same time as the BCE/CE dating convention started replacing BC/AD. No doubt it was brought in to avoid giving offence, but it might worry people in the Canaries, Madeira, Bermuda, etc who may be fearing annexation. In the same way that Korean people call the "Sea of Korea" what Japanese people call the "Sea of Japan", any group has the right to call a geographical feature what they like, and should extend that courtesy to their neighbours.

On the subject of Portsmouth and its isolation, I read that opinion pollers asked people before the 2005 election what they thought were the biggest threats facing the nation. While most of the rest of the country chose from unemployment, racism, climate change, immigration, pensions, NHS funding, etc, the people of Portsmouth put "the French" in third place.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 12:25]
Not A lot Of People Know That on 15:34 - Jan 18 with 777 viewsBoston

Not A lot Of People Know That on 12:19 - Jan 18 by MrSheen

Academic history books started referring to the "Atlantic Islands", about the same time as the BCE/CE dating convention started replacing BC/AD. No doubt it was brought in to avoid giving offence, but it might worry people in the Canaries, Madeira, Bermuda, etc who may be fearing annexation. In the same way that Korean people call the "Sea of Korea" what Japanese people call the "Sea of Japan", any group has the right to call a geographical feature what they like, and should extend that courtesy to their neighbours.

On the subject of Portsmouth and its isolation, I read that opinion pollers asked people before the 2005 election what they thought were the biggest threats facing the nation. While most of the rest of the country chose from unemployment, racism, climate change, immigration, pensions, NHS funding, etc, the people of Portsmouth put "the French" in third place.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 12:25]

Sounds like another case of those who can’t differentiate between the British Isles, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, England and probably Brittany to me. Anyway.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024