Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Simple Pointers For Strong Mental Health at this Time 12:46 - Mar 18 with 853 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thought I'd share this excellent info from a friend. He's a Performance Coach for our Gaelic Football team and a full-time psychologist. We asked him to draw up pointers for our players while they experience social distancing / lockdown.

It's really excellent, and I've been using it myself as it's not just for athletes. Hope it helps.

1. Write down your individual goals (sporting & otherwise) & the process involved to achieve them....be realistic- eg for physical fitness testing- compare your last time trial against your next....don’t compare yourself against fitness of others. The battle is always against yourself.

2. Reduce your Screen Time/Social Media use- Twitter/Insta etc.

3. Pay attention to the present moment...when you’re eating just eat, when you’re exercising just exercise. Basically, try to cut out multi-tasking. Our minds are like untrained puppies....ya gotta teach them! When your mind takes off to something else just gently bring it back to whatever you were doing.

4. Take time to Read something you enjoy.

5. Take time to engage in formal Mindful practice- Breathing/Grounding, playing with Lego, Colouring, Doodling, Yoga etc.

6. Get out & enjoy the fresh air-countryside/beach/woods.....there’s no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

7. Ensure you keep structure in your day-housebound or not....this is crucial- have this planned the night in advance- eg 8am to 12noon, 12noon to 4pm, 4pm to 8pm & 8pm to 12. For each 4 hour block what will you do? Don’t wake up & wonder....hmmm, what will I do today? Have a plan & stick to it.

8. Listen to your body....particularly around cabin fever from being cooped up or maybe feeling anxious around Covid 19. Regulate your baseline formally by getting out in the fresh air, engaging in intense exercise even for short period eg 20 fast press-ups, cold water on the face & wrists (where pulse is). And of course don’t forget to breathe!

9. If having some negative intrusive thoughts write your thoughts out on paper...then review to identify which are thoughts & which are facts. Is there evidence to support your thoughts? Thoughts are just thoughts so let them go. Typically people can handle the bigger things....it’s the little things & thoughts that catch us.

10. Identify your Vulnerability factors- what makes you vulnerable?....poor diet, poor sleep hygiene, screen time, family issues, relationships etc. Challenge what is within your gift/control to address these factors?

11. Formally reward yourself....celebrate the little wins effectively. Build that self-esteem muscle.

12. I’d suggest to use this time effectively- how about each player check in with a different player daily? Formally reaching out to players you typically wouldn’t communicate with is a great way to get outside the comfort zone & become comfortable with vulnerability.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Simple Pointers For Strong Mental Health at this Time on 17:59 - Mar 18 with 755 viewshantssi

There’s some very good stuff there Brian.
Im reading Frazzled by Ruby Wax at the moment, excellent book loads of good advice and an easy read.
Thankfully I don’t suffer myself but it’s a real eye opener and as you can imagine is quite funny.
Simple Pointers For Strong Mental Health at this Time on 18:20 - Mar 18 with 734 viewsR_from_afar

Good stuff Brian thanks for posting.

Here's another I shamelessly nicked from a source which knows what it's on about, unlike yours truly:
- If you are feeling vulnerable or anxious, think of three positive things before you go to bed. For many of us on here, they might be Eze, BOS and Chair - hey, we mentioned football - but whatever works for you...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Simple Pointers For Strong Mental Health at this Time on 18:43 - Mar 18 with 715 viewsBlackCrowe

i'm using this time to teach myself via youtube tutorials to play the harmonica. Something i've said i'd do for years. Feel pity for the other Crowes in the nest.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Simple Pointers For Strong Mental Health at this Time on 22:21 - Mar 18 with 653 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Simple Pointers For Strong Mental Health at this Time on 18:43 - Mar 18 by BlackCrowe

i'm using this time to teach myself via youtube tutorials to play the harmonica. Something i've said i'd do for years. Feel pity for the other Crowes in the nest.

I may also take up the accordion again.

I think my neighbours would like that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Simple Pointers For Strong Mental Health at this Time on 23:49 - Mar 18 with 601 viewstimcocking

And, most importantly i'd have thought, light up a big fat one...

[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 1:15]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024