Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alistair Down - Genius 13:17 - Oct 24 with 554 viewsPinnerPaul

Brilliant article from him on Coivd and Cheltenham, can't post a link as its 'Premium content' on the website - just a few of my favourite lines follow

Talking about who might be allowed back for the Festival in March " .....perhaps a few thousand - owners, members and the ever present dead hand of hospitality guests supping a banquet whose ingredients they have little or no knowledge of"

On the scene yesterday "The Best Mate enclosure revealed the no mates enclosure"

& " more forlorn than your late Dad's deserted armchair"

On Covid " All we humans crave certainty and the hardest thing ....is that we can see no timetable for improvement, we cannot yet say when the far horizon will brighten with a fresh dawn"

Finally ( I promise) a quote from 'Blie Remembered Hills' - 'Into my heart an air that kills, From yon far country blows'

"There is indeed an air that kills blowing in this land, but we have masks and common sense and the love of those close to see us through safe and something akin to sound"

Sorry for the indulgence, but I thought the whole piece quite superb - even close to Clive at his best!
Alistair Down - Genius on 13:36 - Oct 24 with 512 viewswood_hoop

Thanks for that PP.

TV never does real justice to watching the jump meets, pisses all over the flat, nothing like a day out at a jumps meet and standing by a fence when its a class meeting,

Cheltenham is a place of true sportsmen/women and the nags tend to be of the highest order as well, hoping real soon that some sort of crowd be allowed back on the courses

Heard once a wag come up with 'They spill more drink at Cheltenham than they drink at Ascot'.
Alistair Down - Genius on 13:48 - Oct 24 with 486 viewsted_hendrix

Although now I'm retired the Company I worked for for many decades built the new stand at Cheltenham, I did have minimal involvement during construction and on completion.
I can tell you this though, the owners of the racecourse and the upper echelons of the racing fraternity are very powerful people, at meetings during the construction phase if they said to us X-Y and Z had to happen by certain dates then that was what bloody happened.
I was talking to an ex colleague earlier in the week and he told me that the roof has started leaking .

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Alistair Down - Genius on 14:04 - Oct 24 with 451 viewsPinnerPaul

Alistair Down - Genius on 13:36 - Oct 24 by wood_hoop

Thanks for that PP.

TV never does real justice to watching the jump meets, pisses all over the flat, nothing like a day out at a jumps meet and standing by a fence when its a class meeting,

Cheltenham is a place of true sportsmen/women and the nags tend to be of the highest order as well, hoping real soon that some sort of crowd be allowed back on the courses

Heard once a wag come up with 'They spill more drink at Cheltenham than they drink at Ascot'.

Yes agee - I only follow the jumps, you get to know the horses so much better as they return year after year - will be good when we can go back again.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2020 14:04]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024