Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Finding a Way - Solo charity run 12:27 - Apr 8 with 2325 viewsmikeygunn

Hello everyone. I know LFW has had a lot of charity requests recently and I’ve tried to hold off till as late as possible. I’d be grateful if you would read my story and if you want to, donate.

In August 2020 I had a seizure, it was pretty bad and I was bluelighted to hospital, my partner thought I was dying as I was going a funny shade of blue! Thankfully I was ok in the end. it was my second one within 5 years though so got diagnosed with epilepsy. No driving. Tablets for life. No more mad booze benders. Rubbish. I thought my life would be rubbish to be honest and was down for a long time. I had help from the Epilepsy Society and began to think more positively.

I’ve been a runner/plodder for a few years and wanted to test myself post diagnosis so I planned to do the Cleveland Way, Yorkshire Wolds Way and the last leg of the Trans Pennine Trail. It’s a 100% self funded 215 mile run/plod which I’ll complete in 10 days all in aid of Epilepsy Society. Training was going well until 5 weeks ago. Disaster. I had another seizure. I am however absolutely determined to get through this run even if I have to crawl! Anyway, thanks for reading if you have got this far and my link is below:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/michael-oliff5

Finding a Way - Solo charity run on 07:39 - Apr 18 with 2186 viewsmikeygunn

My story got picked up by GB news, it was a moral dilemma as it’s not something I would particularly want to be associated with. However, when I weighed it up, I thought of the charity and the exposure rather than it being about ‘me’ if that makes sense. Anyway, feature below:

Finding a Way - Solo charity run on 08:18 - Apr 18 with 2154 viewsLblock

Sorry I must’ve missed this first time round (probably out walking on my own fundraiser!!!)

Having personal experience of a loved one being diagnosed with this condition later in life I know how distressing it can be. Yes it’s clearly life changing, BUT, it doesn’t have to stop you living a normal(ish) life.
Once you find a set of ASM’s in the right dose and combination that works for you then it’s pretty much as you were despite pain in the arse things like no driving until you’re seizure free for a year etc, etc.

Keep your chin up and know that you’ll get through this.
Happy to offer any advice if needs be, drop me a DM.

Congratulations on the fundraising and I hope you continue to smash your target out of the park

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Finding a Way - Solo charity run on 13:35 - Apr 18 with 2049 viewsPunteR

Done.

Great course and a positive step for you im sure. All the very best with it all.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Finding a Way - Solo charity run on 19:15 - Apr 18 with 1967 viewsmikeygunn

Finding a Way - Solo charity run on 08:18 - Apr 18 by Lblock

Sorry I must’ve missed this first time round (probably out walking on my own fundraiser!!!)

Having personal experience of a loved one being diagnosed with this condition later in life I know how distressing it can be. Yes it’s clearly life changing, BUT, it doesn’t have to stop you living a normal(ish) life.
Once you find a set of ASM’s in the right dose and combination that works for you then it’s pretty much as you were despite pain in the arse things like no driving until you’re seizure free for a year etc, etc.

Keep your chin up and know that you’ll get through this.
Happy to offer any advice if needs be, drop me a DM.

Congratulations on the fundraising and I hope you continue to smash your target out of the park

Thank you for your kind words and generous donation.

I’ve deffo adjusted, I watch my alcohol to a ridiculous boring level, working out the units etc! Watch my fluid intake, sleeping and making sure I take meds bang on time!

Day 4 done anyway and I’m in a absolutely brilliant little youth hostel called Boggle Hole in Robin Hoods bay. I’ll be back here one day!!
Finding a Way - Solo charity run on 19:16 - Apr 18 with 1965 viewsmikeygunn

Finding a Way - Solo charity run on 13:35 - Apr 18 by PunteR

Done.

Great course and a positive step for you im sure. All the very best with it all.

Cheers mate! Massively appreciated.
Finding a Way - Solo charity run on 19:40 - Apr 20 with 1842 viewsmikeygunn

Quick update to say thanks for everyone that has donated. Honestly means the absolute world to me! Day 6 done. 130 miles so far…
Finding a Way - Solo charity run on 19:50 - Apr 22 with 1723 viewsmikeygunn

Update: 169.4 miles, absolutely desperate to finish tomorrow before 3pm to catch the football scores! 2 days to go….
Finding a Way - Solo charity run on 18:18 - Apr 24 with 1641 viewsmikeygunn

Update: finished. 10 days of absolute hell mixed with pure joy. I can’t really put into words just how I feel right now, other than tired and ready for a long sleep. Thanks to each and everyone of you that donated. Still time if you haven’t!!
Login to get fewer ads

Finding a Way - Solo charity run on 18:23 - Apr 24 with 1634 viewsPunteR

Finding a Way - Solo charity run on 18:18 - Apr 24 by mikeygunn

Update: finished. 10 days of absolute hell mixed with pure joy. I can’t really put into words just how I feel right now, other than tired and ready for a long sleep. Thanks to each and everyone of you that donated. Still time if you haven’t!!

Top work mate. A Hooj achievement.. ;)

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024