Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Washington travel 11:10 - May 25 with 1348 viewsEastR

No, not Conor on the move again over the summer transfer window.

I have to travel to Washington DC in July for work for a few days. Never been there before but I’ll have some down time in between work and looking for any recommendations, do’s/don’ts, worth a visit etc. Anywhere half pleasant to go for a run?

Likely be based NW Rectangle area.

Usual LFW expertise!

Thanks in advance

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Washington travel on 11:19 - May 25 with 1304 viewsslmrstid

If you're there on a Saturday there's a few parkruns in the Washington DC area now. I went back in 2016 and at the time there was just one that had just started at a place called Fletcher's Cove. It was just out and back along a canal which is definitely up there with the more boring parkrun courses I have done but it was worth it for the novelty factor. There's one on Roosevelt Island which may be better. We ended up running to/from Fletcher's Cove from our hotel (10 miles in the end!) and because its out in the suburbs we ended up passing a lot of houses which I found interesting, just to see where "real" people in a city live rather than just the iconic sites we all know.

If you've never been before and have the chance, you simply have to go to the Mall and walk the entire circuit from the US Capitol down one side past the White House to the Lincoln monument, then back again up the other side. Soooooo many things to see in the walk in between and actually its a bloody huge site (about 2 miles from Capitol to Lincoln from memory). That would be a great place for a parkrun. You could always run that loop.

Of course you have all the Smithsonian museums too around the edge. They cover so much there's probably something that would take your fancy. There is also a bit further out from that area, but doable on their metro, a Smithsonian zoo. And of course, unlike pretty much everything else in America, they are of course all free entry.

We only had 3 days in DC when we went and squeezed as much in, but there's so much more I'd love to spend time wandering to explore.

The only thing we struggled with was finding places to eat! There didn't seem to be the plethora around the US Government areas like you find in London around Westminster/Piccadilly/Trafalgar Square areas...unless of course we were just looking in completely the wrong places which is quite possible. We did find one great BBQ restaurant though which charged you by weight for how much meat you took. That was fun.

Enjoy!
Washington travel on 11:24 - May 25 with 1293 viewsrobith

I quite enjoyed the Metro cos it looks proper dystopian.

I went to a wedding in Alexandria at the end of the yellow line and it's lovely there, big change of pace from DC, worth a little mooch imo
Washington travel on 12:17 - May 25 with 1227 viewsParkRoyalR

Adams Morgan district, which is Central North, has a Greenwich Village / Hampstead type feel to it, lots of cafe's and a few bars etc, dont know DC that well but really enjoyed this area, ideal base for a few days / weeks
Washington travel on 12:38 - May 25 with 1183 viewsthame_hoops

It’s quite a small city, I’ve been on the hop on/hop off bus and saw lots in the day. If you want to do the museums then allow an extra day. I saw the declaration of Independence, but didn’t do the Smithsonian . You can pretty much walk the whole city. Like others have said, didn’t seem to be a massive choices of restaurants/bars around the city centre. Obviously you have your chain places. If you do go on the hop on bus, make sure you see Arlington cemetery. You also drive past the Pentagon which is cool.
Washington travel on 20:06 - May 25 with 1017 viewsBoston

Washington travel on 12:17 - May 25 by ParkRoyalR

Adams Morgan district, which is Central North, has a Greenwich Village / Hampstead type feel to it, lots of cafe's and a few bars etc, dont know DC that well but really enjoyed this area, ideal base for a few days / weeks

Adams Morgan is ok, that's where I stay when in town. Also enjoy Dupont Circle and Connecticut Ave NW.

The NW 'rectangle' would be the safest / nicest part of the city. Don't get lost, there are parts which are far more dangerous than anything London has to offer.

If you have a choice - fly into Reagan, Dulles is friggin miles away.

Don't forget to take a dekko at the palatial assisted living facility, can't miss it, big white building, centre of town.
[Post edited 25 May 2023 20:11]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Washington travel on 21:25 - May 25 with 968 viewsFG_R

Washington travel on 11:19 - May 25 by slmrstid

If you're there on a Saturday there's a few parkruns in the Washington DC area now. I went back in 2016 and at the time there was just one that had just started at a place called Fletcher's Cove. It was just out and back along a canal which is definitely up there with the more boring parkrun courses I have done but it was worth it for the novelty factor. There's one on Roosevelt Island which may be better. We ended up running to/from Fletcher's Cove from our hotel (10 miles in the end!) and because its out in the suburbs we ended up passing a lot of houses which I found interesting, just to see where "real" people in a city live rather than just the iconic sites we all know.

If you've never been before and have the chance, you simply have to go to the Mall and walk the entire circuit from the US Capitol down one side past the White House to the Lincoln monument, then back again up the other side. Soooooo many things to see in the walk in between and actually its a bloody huge site (about 2 miles from Capitol to Lincoln from memory). That would be a great place for a parkrun. You could always run that loop.

Of course you have all the Smithsonian museums too around the edge. They cover so much there's probably something that would take your fancy. There is also a bit further out from that area, but doable on their metro, a Smithsonian zoo. And of course, unlike pretty much everything else in America, they are of course all free entry.

We only had 3 days in DC when we went and squeezed as much in, but there's so much more I'd love to spend time wandering to explore.

The only thing we struggled with was finding places to eat! There didn't seem to be the plethora around the US Government areas like you find in London around Westminster/Piccadilly/Trafalgar Square areas...unless of course we were just looking in completely the wrong places which is quite possible. We did find one great BBQ restaurant though which charged you by weight for how much meat you took. That was fun.

Enjoy!

The Mall area really is a must. So many things you will recognise from the movies such as the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial and Capitol Building.

The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum is really good. I remember seeing a fully operational (but unused) backup Lunar Lander from the Apollo missions on display there.

Have a look at the Vietnam war memorial just North of the Reflecting Pool. The Korean War memorial just south of the Reflecting Pool is really haunting, with the life size sculptures of soldiers seemingly on jungle patrol.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024