Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Myth of Martinez 17:08 - May 16 with 1011 viewsWestbourneR

Does anybody else think that Roberto Martinez is massively over-rated?

From my point of view Wigan have been the easy to beat whipping boys for the vast majority of the time he has been there - this is the third season in row where they have only pulled out of the bottom three in the last few weeks of the season.

Under both Bruce and Jewell they were far more comfortable.

Ok they don't have loads of cash but they have enough to be better than the newly promoted teams coming up every year - except they never are.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Myth of Martinez on 17:18 - May 16 with 862 viewsNorthernr

Very good question. I think the simple answer is let's wait and see how he does at another club. He did very, very well at Swansea remember. They were a steady but basic team under Kenny Jackett and he quickly turned them into a very attractive side and gave a new lease of life to players who'd spent their whole careers way down the divisions - Leon Britton a case in point.

Wigan are a strange case. Neil and I have discussed a theory this year that because Martinez plays a unique style, and because they sell their best players every summer, it takes a few months for the new look side to get going by which time they're deep in the sht. Once they get it they play well, pull away and then two or three of their best players get bought again so beginning the cycle once again.

I'd steer clear of Villa if I was him!
Myth of Martinez on 17:22 - May 16 with 842 viewswood_hoop

Are we going to be any different next season ? tough division to stay in.

We are more furtunate in that MH may have a bit more cash to spend and retaining good players may be easier, a lot more will be expected of our team this season, I still think we have a way to go before we sit in with the Evertons & Fulhams where staying in the division is almost a gimme at the start of every season.

Martinez is a good manager, not a club where good players are queuing up to sign on the dotted line, lose their better players on a regular basis, that he can keep coming up with the 'great escape' over a number of seasons shows to me he can galvanise a team when most needed and dosn't let adversity get the better of him or his players.

Myth of Martinez on 17:23 - May 16 with 840 viewsadhoc_qpr

While we were in a relegation scrap with them, their victories over Man Utd and Arsenal exasperated me - now that we are both safe i can admit that they were pretty impressive!

But would you really hire him based on a 2 month purple patch vs a 6 months of relegation fodder performances?
Myth of Martinez on 17:26 - May 16 with 821 viewsdaveB

I think Martinez is a fantastic manager, the Swansea ethos is all down to him, he put all of that in place from the bottom up and left them in fantastic shape. He is trying to do the same at Wigan and with the money he has to spend is doing pretty well with them. To keep Wigan up the last two years has been a minor miracle. They were spending a lot more under Jewell and only stayed up on goal difference.

He'd be a good choice for Liverpool
Myth of Martinez on 17:30 - May 16 with 805 viewsCHUBBS

I think he's gonna be an excellent manager and if it wasn't for him nobody would be talking about Brendan Rodgers.He built a very good squad/system at Swansea yet Rodgers turned up put the final touches to it and is recieving endless accolades for someone elses work.
Martinez has done an absolute stunning job at Wigan when you consider as pointed out he sells his best players every summer.Also he has had Wigan playing such a brave progressive style of football and never waiverd from it even after 8 defeats on the bounce.That shows the extent of his knowledge and belief in what he's doing.
One last thing is he's very good with the media which will help when the inevitable big job offer comes along.
Myth of Martinez on 17:33 - May 16 with 795 viewsWestbourneR

Yes that's true Swansea managers have been reaping the rewards of his work ever since he left. But I have learnt to be a bit skeptical about lower league success since people like Paul Ince turned out to rubbish after doing well lower down.

Also felt that Martinez stole a march in League One by bringing a few cheap foreign players who were too good for the division.

And it's also true he does lose players most summers but he kept them all this time apart from unreliable N'Zogbia and Wigan were still so rubbish most of the time. They are so weak and beatable.

It seems that change to 3 at back thing caught other teams by surprise and won them a those games. Maybe wing back will return! John Gregory could get a job that way.

Anyway I am pretty sure that Martinez and Villa would be disaster. His teams can't defend.

Myth of Martinez on 17:40 - May 16 with 775 viewsJamie

As said, the core of Swansea's setup is from Martinez. Sousa added in some defensive steel and Dyer on one wing, Rodgers brought in Sinclair on the other wing and they got promoted.
Myth of Martinez on 18:07 - May 16 with 718 viewsMonahoop

I like Martinez. A great manager but only I feel at clubs of Swansea's or Wigan's calibre. He has a long association at Wigan where he was player, so he knows the ins and outs of that club pretty well. He knows how to make small[ish] clubs punch above their weight.

Stepping into the breach or poison chalice that is Liverpool FC at present, could be a step too far for him. Besides, the fans there will be whining on that 'he is not Liverpool', just as they did with poor old Roy H.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Login to get fewer ads

Myth of Martinez on 18:25 - May 16 with 698 viewsDanVanDyke

Myth of Martinez on 18:07 - May 16 by Monahoop

I like Martinez. A great manager but only I feel at clubs of Swansea's or Wigan's calibre. He has a long association at Wigan where he was player, so he knows the ins and outs of that club pretty well. He knows how to make small[ish] clubs punch above their weight.

Stepping into the breach or poison chalice that is Liverpool FC at present, could be a step too far for him. Besides, the fans there will be whining on that 'he is not Liverpool', just as they did with poor old Roy H.

The one thing he'd have in his favour is that there'd be no monkey on his back in the form of King Kenny, who definitely did for Roy. He's had his second chance and spent millions and took them backwards. If we're looking for fellow relegation rivals to be weakened and ultimately struggle, Martinez to Liverpool would be a good move.
Myth of Martinez on 18:47 - May 16 with 653 viewsTacticalR

That's a good point. Look what happened to AVB at Chelsea.

Another factor is the team around a manager. Pako Ayestarán was Benítez's sidekick at Valencia and Liverpool. After the two fell out in 2008 and Ayestarán left Liverpool, Benítez didn't win anything else.

Air hostess clique

Myth of Martinez on 19:00 - May 16 with 620 viewswood_hoop

I am of a different opinion, if he can cope with the pressure at a smaller club he should be more than capable of dealing with a more established Prem club.

Liverpool maybe not for him, poisened chalice that one, unless you have a 'scouse connection, most of that down to their blinkered supporters.

Not sure if Villa is that big a move either, but probably a step up from Wigan despite their poor season.
Myth of Martinez on 22:42 - May 16 with 534 viewsderbyhoop

Liverpool need to adjust expectations. Any new manager going in will be expected to win 18-25 games per season. Not sure if martinez is ready for that. WBA would be a better option for him.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Myth of Martinez on 04:05 - May 17 with 457 viewsKiwi76

Think he has to take a step now as Wigan are no potential to go any further than safety - even achieving that has been a great achievement - also done without resorting to boring teams to death to steal a draw like Villa.
God knows what Liverpool are going to do - there are still some good players there and he might just time it right and some of those shots that hit the post go in?
WBA are safer option than Villa but not sure how much more potential they offer?
Myth of Martinez on 09:33 - May 17 with 390 views00calben

I think Swansea's current success is mainly down to him. The brand of football is not Brendan Rogers' - it was Martinez's.

I also think Wigan had the worst squad in the PL: Franco Di Santo first choice striker and Gary Caldwell first choice centre half? That is truly rank. When we played them in both games I walked away thinking what an awful team they are. That he kept them up, speaks wonders for me.

Has had an excellent managerial career so far and deserves a big move.

Clive - not sure I agree about Villa, a sleeping giant if ever I saw one? If he is promised some funds I think he would do a very good job there. The fans will also be on side, as they will for anyone stepping into the shoes of Alex McLeish - particularly given Martinez's playing style?
Myth of Martinez on 10:10 - May 17 with 348 viewsWestbourneR

But he signed Di Santo and Caldwell.

Surely it is a bit strange that Steve Bruce did so much better with Wigan? He bought Palacios and Rodellega too.

Yep I think Martinez is not a good a manager and I think he'll get horribly found out at his next job. So let's see!

Myth of Martinez on 10:20 - May 17 with 331 viewsrobith

Myth of Martinez on 17:30 - May 16 by CHUBBS

I think he's gonna be an excellent manager and if it wasn't for him nobody would be talking about Brendan Rodgers.He built a very good squad/system at Swansea yet Rodgers turned up put the final touches to it and is recieving endless accolades for someone elses work.
Martinez has done an absolute stunning job at Wigan when you consider as pointed out he sells his best players every summer.Also he has had Wigan playing such a brave progressive style of football and never waiverd from it even after 8 defeats on the bounce.That shows the extent of his knowledge and belief in what he's doing.
One last thing is he's very good with the media which will help when the inevitable big job offer comes along.

Whilst I agree broadly with your points about him, not changing your style when you've lost 8 on the bounce smacks of not having a plan B rather than bravery
Myth of Martinez on 10:46 - May 17 with 308 viewsdoogi55

he had nothing to loose so just went for it.it came off it was more desperate than tactical
Myth of Martinez on 10:47 - May 17 with 308 viewsTonto

Any manager who keeps Wigan up whilst spending very little and losing your best players almost every summer must be half decent.

The interesting thing to me, however, is can he do it at a "big club" who often have unrealistic expectations (i.e. Liverpool = Champions, Villa = Euro place every year). Bigger clubs = bigger budgets = different players - players with more egos, more difficult man management, more media scrutiny etc.

If I were martinz, the Villa job would be more attractive than the Liverpool job. Villa need minor improvements to get to a top half finish. Liverpool needs major surgery and changes to get where it expects to be.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Myth of Martinez on 10:59 - May 17 with 297 viewsTheBlob

Mate of mine has just put a bullseye on Brendon Rogers for the Scouse job at 14/1,has now come into eights.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Myth of Martinez on 11:05 - May 17 with 282 viewsWestbourneR

Brendan Rodgers. Another over rated manager.

Myth of Martinez on 11:19 - May 17 with 267 views00calben

Myth of Martinez on 10:10 - May 17 by WestbourneR

But he signed Di Santo and Caldwell.

Surely it is a bit strange that Steve Bruce did so much better with Wigan? He bought Palacios and Rodellega too.

Yep I think Martinez is not a good a manager and I think he'll get horribly found out at his next job. So let's see!

He had to sign the likes of Di Santo / Caldwell due to money I believe.

Bruce was allowed to spend (a very significant amount of) money on the likes of Heskey, Cattermole, Marlon King, Bramble, Kirkland etc etc. Martinez has barley been given a penny so he has a truly rank squad of players with the exception of probabaly only McCarthy and Moses
Myth of Martinez on 11:22 - May 17 with 263 viewsNorthernr

Myth of Martinez on 11:05 - May 17 by WestbourneR

Brendan Rodgers. Another over rated manager.

Based on what? Managed three clubs, done excellently with two of them.

So far this week you've given stick to Roberto Martinez despite Wigan embarking on a terrific run and staying in the Premiership on limited resources, Jamie Makie despite him excelling in his first ever season of Premiership football ending with a superb goal against the champions on Sunday, and now Brendan Rodgers who has just kept Swansea in the league with plenty to spare despite everybody having them down as the whipping boys pre-season.

Excited to see who's next!
Myth of Martinez on 11:37 - May 17 with 247 viewsJamie

As limited a footballer as Di Santo may be, he's got 7 in 31 this year compared to Bobs 9 in 44.

Cost about 1/5th as much as well.

Turning Caldwell from a park player in a back 4 to a man mountain in a back 3 was an amazing move. Whether it was luck or judgment depends on your position on Martinez.
Myth of Martinez on 12:22 - May 17 with 221 viewsWestbourneR

I was hoping no one had noticed...

Mackie - the new Stuart Wardley. Goals but no quality.
Martinez - is so bad most the time people get over excited when he is breifly not so terrible.
Rodgers - might be wrong but he was very poor at Reading, I missed his Watford stuff. And I reckon Swansea will be dismantled next season.

I want us to sign Ashley Williams off the Swans. He's class.

Myth of Martinez on 12:26 - May 17 with 213 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Wigan at LR were the worse side I saw all season. I said they were dead certs to go, though had Roddy got on the end of those two early Moses crosses.....

Whatever he did was miraculous and ergo I consider him a good manager.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024