Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our Charlie (Austin) 10:39 - Jul 1 with 2157 viewstimcocking

We all love him unconditionally, that goes without saying. I'm not knocking Charlie in any way shape or form, merely worrying on his behalf.

Given the fact that teams typically only play with one up front nowadays, given the fact he's not, truth be told, the perfect lone target man (he's a goal scorer), given the fact there isn't much room for sentiment in modern football (if there ever was) and assuming a considerably more pricey striker is quite likely to arrive, lets hope he manages to get enough games. It'll be a shame if he doesn't, but i wouldn't be altogether surprised :-(
Our Charlie (Austin) on 10:47 - Jul 1 with 2131 viewsWeaverQPR

In games where he may only get one chance he needs to be ruthless, i think he may struggle hope i'm wrong. The key is to create enough chances per game.

@WeavQPR

Our Charlie (Austin) on 10:49 - Jul 1 with 2120 viewsAntti_Heinola

Charlie will be fine. If he stays fit and plays most games he'll get 10-12 goals hopefully, which is as much as you can really ask in what will be a team fighting relegation almost certainly.
He played a lot of last season as a lone front man, and did it very well. Can't see it being an issue.

Bare bones.

Our Charlie (Austin) on 10:50 - Jul 1 with 2114 viewsLewes_r

If Grant Holt with a workman like Norwich can do well in the Prem then Im not worried for charlie
[Post edited 1 Jul 2014 10:52]

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Our Charlie (Austin) on 10:54 - Jul 1 with 2094 viewsdaveB

He's been doubted at every challenge so far, few thought he would be good enough for the championship and he did brilliantly and it was a doubt he'd do well at QPR as well but he produced. I think he'll prove people wrong again next season and continue to score goals, if he can get double figures he'll have done very well.
Our Charlie (Austin) on 10:59 - Jul 1 with 2072 viewstimcocking

I just really hope they give him the chance to prove himself.
Our Charlie (Austin) on 11:00 - Jul 1 with 2067 viewsadhoc_qpr

I think the opposite, the likes of Rickie Lambert and Grant Holt are proving that the leap to the prem is not as insurmountable as people thought.

It's more the prolific lower league strikers who rely on either their pace or playing for dominant teams who create lots of chances for them (think Beckford, Hooper et al) that struggle.
Our Charlie (Austin) on 11:04 - Jul 1 with 2046 viewsMedwayR

Our Charlie (Austin) on 10:47 - Jul 1 by WeaverQPR

In games where he may only get one chance he needs to be ruthless, i think he may struggle hope i'm wrong. The key is to create enough chances per game.

I agree, I think his finishing is not quite good enough for prem level.

If we put in crosses & played to his strengths he could do well but we rarely do that, our wide men love to cut inside for whatever reason. He could be a useful super-sub if we keep Remy or sign another proven prem league striker. He'll do ok for us but I'm not expecting him to score regularly in the prem.

Poll: Who’s better?

Our Charlie (Austin) on 11:07 - Jul 1 with 2030 viewsWadR

If we get our midfield right, and supply him with enough chances, there's no reason why Austin can't get 10+ goals. But that means getting more crosses into him and getting midfielders up and beyond him. He's not going to create many chances for himself, so we need to play to his strengths which are his aerial ability in the box and his reasonably good finishing.

I do think his all-round game has some weaknesses, his hold up play could be better, but Austin's one of the few players we currently have that I'm not concerned about making the step up next season.

He may start slowly, or fail to score, but I think we need to keep faith with him.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2014 11:10]
Login to get fewer ads

Our Charlie (Austin) on 12:44 - Jul 1 with 1866 viewsDANRANGER

If he gets the right service I'd expect him to score goals. Who we get in midfield will be key. He isn't technically brilliant and you can tell he learnt the game in non league but he is exactly the sort of player our club and fans need so I hope he's given the chance. The play off semi final summed him up, he did very little but scored 2 goals and we won. That's his game.

From his point of view, he has been waiting for this for a long time and his character tells me he will give everything to succeed unlike some. He must have watched England in the World cup and felt he can make a difference and a good start next season could easily see him given a chance. Onwards and upwards for Charlie.
Our Charlie (Austin) on 13:22 - Jul 1 with 1783 viewswhittocksRs

Charlie Austin will play for England.
Our Charlie (Austin) on 13:30 - Jul 1 with 1754 viewsToast_R

He will get his chance to have a go and until he's at least done that everyone should really reserve judgment.

I reckon he'll tear it up if he gets the service.
Our Charlie (Austin) on 13:31 - Jul 1 with 1747 viewsheadhoops

Apart from Leicester and Burnley not many of the other defenders will have played against him - they wont know his movements and that gives him an advantage albeit sleight. He's also a grafter and prepared to get stuck in. He will do just fine this season.

We will need goals from midfield and thats another matter entirely.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Our Charlie (Austin) on 14:03 - Jul 1 with 1687 viewsquickpassrotter

He'll be fine. Will score goals and surprise a lot of people at this level.
Our Charlie (Austin) on 14:10 - Jul 1 with 1661 viewskysersosaqpr

if we play 4-3-3 with phillips and hoillet on wings [dropping back to give 5 in midfileld when we lose possession] then Charlie will get his crosses and/or touches when the windgers cut inside. Even better if we could nick Townsend from spurs

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Our Charlie (Austin) on 17:37 - Jul 1 with 1501 viewsAntti_Heinola

Our Charlie (Austin) on 11:04 - Jul 1 by MedwayR

I agree, I think his finishing is not quite good enough for prem level.

If we put in crosses & played to his strengths he could do well but we rarely do that, our wide men love to cut inside for whatever reason. He could be a useful super-sub if we keep Remy or sign another proven prem league striker. He'll do ok for us but I'm not expecting him to score regularly in the prem.

Christ, I'm not quite sure what you're after Medway! Charlie got about one chance a game for most of the season, missed 3 months of it and still got 17 goals! And all kinds - long range, tap ins, headers, six-yarders, penalties. He's a superb finisher, easily good enough for the massively overrated premier league.

Bare bones.

Our Charlie (Austin) on 18:56 - Jul 1 with 1462 viewsJigsore

Our Charlie (Austin) on 13:22 - Jul 1 by whittocksRs

Charlie Austin will play for England.

He did in my Football Manager save. I had to pay the f*cker £20k more per week because it activated a contract clause. I shouldn't have scoffed...

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Our Charlie (Austin) on 19:05 - Jul 1 with 1450 viewsbosh67

Our Charlie (Austin) on 11:00 - Jul 1 by adhoc_qpr

I think the opposite, the likes of Rickie Lambert and Grant Holt are proving that the leap to the prem is not as insurmountable as people thought.

It's more the prolific lower league strikers who rely on either their pace or playing for dominant teams who create lots of chances for them (think Beckford, Hooper et al) that struggle.

Bang on.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Our Charlie (Austin) on 20:12 - Jul 1 with 1403 viewsMarshy

Charlie is a natural born goal scorer. He will get goals in any league. If we can sign another decent striker to play alongside him then I can see us doing reasonably well.
Our Charlie (Austin) on 20:56 - Jul 1 with 1338 viewsMedwayR

Our Charlie (Austin) on 17:37 - Jul 1 by Antti_Heinola

Christ, I'm not quite sure what you're after Medway! Charlie got about one chance a game for most of the season, missed 3 months of it and still got 17 goals! And all kinds - long range, tap ins, headers, six-yarders, penalties. He's a superb finisher, easily good enough for the massively overrated premier league.

Haha, sorry but games like Leicester at home stick in my mind where he had good chances to score but didn't take them, I'm just not convinced at the moment.

Of his 20 goals last season 5 were penalties so 15 from open play, of those 6 were headers & the remaining 9 were mostly opportunistic poachers goals. He won't get so many opportunistic goals against better defenders but if we play to his strengths & get good crosses into the box he'll do ok. He's well capable of learning & developing his game so worth persevering with, I'm just expecting him to struggle a bit this season.

Here's hoping he proves me wrong & get an England call-up!!

Poll: Who’s better?

Our Charlie (Austin) on 08:13 - Jul 2 with 1228 viewsWokingR

Whether he is good enough to make the step up or not is to be seen but he has earned his right to have a go. Let's just hope that the club have learned their lesson from last time around and don't just ship loads out for the sake of replacing them with something that only looks better on paper.
It will always mean more to a player who has worked to get there.
Our Charlie (Austin) on 12:08 - Jul 2 with 1147 viewsRs_Holy

Our Charlie (Austin) on 20:12 - Jul 1 by Marshy

Charlie is a natural born goal scorer. He will get goals in any league. If we can sign another decent striker to play alongside him then I can see us doing reasonably well.

agree totally... The only thing Charlie lacks is lightning pace but everything else is there.... Good in the air, can hold the ball if requred, his awareness of players around him is second to none, he is a natural finisher... we are very lucky to have him!
[Post edited 2 Jul 2014 13:17]
Our Charlie (Austin) on 12:18 - Jul 2 with 1134 viewswhittocksRs

A goalscorer is a goalscorer and as long as we give him chances, he will score at any level. That's why I think he will play for England once the likes of Defoe, Crouch and Lambert are properly out of the picture.
Our Charlie (Austin) on 12:32 - Jul 2 with 1114 viewssaxbend

I think it's just as likely that Harry will try to build a team that allows the current players to be as effective as possible. He'll be aiming to bring in players that build on what has worked so far and enable tactics and formations in which Austin and others can thrive. Only if we fail to sign enough of his targets would he think about radically changing things. If we can't significantly strengthen the squad, and in a productive way, our only remaining option is to keep doing what previously worked, albeit against stronger opposition.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024