Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? 22:35 - Nov 7 with 6802 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Just been leafing through Stephen Phillipps' 'The Definitive'. My own was 19th Nov 1988 away to Huddersfield.

Remember being on an open terrace and struggling to see the goal, that's about it!
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 19:46 - Nov 8 with 1566 viewsmingthemerciless

Nope, Brian Richardson, defensive wing half in the sixties.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 19:49 - Nov 8 with 1565 viewsmingthemerciless

I remember the Barnsley home tie after a good away draw. We were losing 1-0 with seconds to go when super sub Steve Melledew managed to put an easy header wide from about about two yards out.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 19:51 - Nov 8 with 1556 viewsmingthemerciless

Yeah I also remember the Huddersfield game when Junior Bent had a blinder for them. He could have made it big time.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:00 - Nov 8 with 1505 viewswimborne_dale

1 - 4 v Telford Utd. 3rd round 83/34 season.

Edgar Allan's Crow

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:07 - Nov 8 with 1499 viewsD_Alien

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 19:38 - Nov 8 by mingthemerciless

The infamous defeat at home against Altrincham. Their Jack Swindells ran us ragged that night. Most Dale players were awful. Rabbits in the headlights. In fact one or two never played for the first team again, Barrie Ratcliffe for one ! Just one in a long list of absolutely terrible FA Cup performances in that era.

I remember Richardson getting his leg broken. A Bradford player went over the top of the ball in a tackle right on front of me. A real grudge tackle. Richardson was never the same player again, that tackle finished his career. I'm certain sure this was a league match not the FA Cup.

Agreed, it was the Bradford league game the previous week.

The team missed his tackling and leadership in the cup game and we went down against Barrow without a fight. The leg-break and cup defeat had become meshed together when I tried to recall some 48 years later!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:19 - Nov 8 with 1487 viewsmingthemerciless

I was at the Barrow FA Cup game as well. Out played by a better team, they were really on the up then. I think Fred Else played in goal for them that day. Didn't ex Dale Dave Storf also play for Barrow in that game ? The had a rough handfull of a ginger lad in midfield called George Smith who later starred for a good Portsmouth side after a big money move. He dominated us in midfield.

It's funny how we remember these things yet I can't remember what I had for my tea last night.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:24 - Nov 8 with 1478 viewsmingthemerciless

Err, Dave Storf did play in that game, he was our goalscorer ! Didn't he sign for Barrow later on though ?
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:31 - Nov 8 with 1464 viewsTVOS1907

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:24 - Nov 8 by mingthemerciless

Err, Dave Storf did play in that game, he was our goalscorer ! Didn't he sign for Barrow later on though ?

Signed for Barrow in July 1967.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:38 - Nov 8 with 1460 viewsD_Alien

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:24 - Nov 8 by mingthemerciless

Or did we sign him from Barrow?

Storf played a major part in us not finishing in a re-election place in 1967/68, although Bob
Stokoe had taken over before the end of the season. Can't remember why we didn't retain Storf into the promotion season - although signing Dennis Butler might've had something to do with it!

Edit: just read TVOS post - memory playing tricks again. (Well, I have been on the Talisker this week.) Still not sure why we let Storf go though, even if it was the year before I thought.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2014 22:41]

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 23:08 - Nov 8 with 1439 viewsmingthemerciless

Same old story in those days when we were well and truly skint. Barrow made us an offer we couldn't refuse. £ 7,000 was a record for both clubs then if my memory serves well. I liked Storf, he was a quick, tricky winger with a great left foot. He broke his ankle half way through the season we nearly got promoted, 1964-65. His replacement Don McKenzie was a total lightweight. If Storf had stayed fit we might have made the top four.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 23:24 - Nov 8 with 1426 viewsD_Alien

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 23:08 - Nov 8 by mingthemerciless

Same old story in those days when we were well and truly skint. Barrow made us an offer we couldn't refuse. £ 7,000 was a record for both clubs then if my memory serves well. I liked Storf, he was a quick, tricky winger with a great left foot. He broke his ankle half way through the season we nearly got promoted, 1964-65. His replacement Don McKenzie was a total lightweight. If Storf had stayed fit we might have made the top four.

Your memory's better than mine ming!

Still, wonder if today's youngsters will be able to recall what happened this month in November 2062?

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 08:44 - Nov 9 with 1391 viewsmingthemerciless

I'm sure they will.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 09:32 - Nov 9 with 1370 viewsNR_Dale

Tamworth, replay at spotland in 2001. Michael Oliver scored in last minute to make it 1-0, when we didn't deserve anything from the game.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 09:49 - Nov 9 with 1357 viewsdeanogod

95/96 v rotherham . Won 5 3. Thompstone screamer
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 10:17 - Nov 9 with 1342 viewsmingthemerciless

Is that the game were Jason Peake got a couple and Shaun Goatet scored for Rotherham ? Great game.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 10:36 - Nov 9 with 1294 viewsFred_Talbot

V Hull City 2-2 81/82 season, I think the replay was played at Elland Road

Where's Fred?

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 11:20 - Nov 9 with 1278 viewsTVOS1907

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 09:49 - Nov 9 by deanogod

95/96 v rotherham . Won 5 3. Thompstone screamer

Thompstone?

Moulden 2, Peake 2 and Whitehall (pen).

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 11:53 - Nov 9 with 1272 viewsSandyman

15.11.69 - lost 1-2 at home to Workington.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 12:04 - Nov 9 with 1264 viewsmingthemerciless

I was at the Workington game also. It was tough supporting the 'Dale then. One win was a cup run in those days.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 13:50 - Nov 9 with 1239 viewsdeanogod

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 11:20 - Nov 9 by TVOS1907

Thompstone?

Moulden 2, Peake 2 and Whitehall (pen).

lol. had a shocker there
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 20:05 - Nov 9 with 1191 viewsSheffdale

Like a few of the other seniors on here, I remember the Altrincham game well. I have a few cuttings of the pre-match build up from the Ob with mugshots of some the the Robins players, including the previously mentioned Swindells. Post-match, in the depth of my 12 year old grief, I made a "coffin" out of a cardboard box and solemnly inscribed it with the words about it containing the Ashes of RAFC which would be transported to Moss Lane! Later that same month we put six past Wrexham when all five forwards scored (football was much simpler in those days as the programme line up was always 1gk - 2fb - 3mf -5fwds!) My fading scrap book says it was the first time that had happened since the 34-35 season. Agony and ecstasy, December 1965.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 20:08 - Nov 9 with 1187 views442Dale

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 13:50 - Nov 9 by deanogod

lol. had a shocker there

Thompstone had them every week.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 20:38 - Nov 9 with 1176 viewsmingthemerciless

That's what I call a supporter Sheffdale. I was a bit older an a bit more blaise about football by then. It was still a shock to lose to Altrincham, it's a long while ago know but my memory is we were never at the races and they won quite comfortably

Although 'Dale have always been my second team I've lost count of the games I've attended at Spotland. Probably more times than my first ( home town ) team if I'm honest.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 20:54 - Nov 9 with 1163 viewsR17ALE

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 20:38 - Nov 9 by mingthemerciless

That's what I call a supporter Sheffdale. I was a bit older an a bit more blaise about football by then. It was still a shock to lose to Altrincham, it's a long while ago know but my memory is we were never at the races and they won quite comfortably

Although 'Dale have always been my second team I've lost count of the games I've attended at Spotland. Probably more times than my first ( home town ) team if I'm honest.

"blaise"

Is your first team Sheffield United?

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 21:16 - Nov 9 with 1138 viewsmingthemerciless

Apologies for that. The Continental lagers in The Baum tonight were a bit stronger than I thought. No my first team isn't Sheff Utd.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024