Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? 22:35 - Nov 7 with 7152 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Just been leafing through Stephen Phillipps' 'The Definitive'. My own was 19th Nov 1988 away to Huddersfield.

Remember being on an open terrace and struggling to see the goal, that's about it!
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 21:35 - Nov 9 with 1649 viewspioneer

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 11:53 - Nov 9 by Sandyman

15.11.69 - lost 1-2 at home to Workington.

i think it was at workington. Didnt we take the lead through Norman Whitehead?
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 21:44 - Nov 9 with 1647 viewsTVOS1907

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 21:35 - Nov 9 by pioneer

i think it was at workington. Didnt we take the lead through Norman Whitehead?

Before my time, but the book has us losing at Workington, with a goal by Whitehead, so you're probably correct.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:31 - Nov 9 with 1611 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 12:04 - Nov 9 by mingthemerciless

I was at the Workington game also. It was tough supporting the 'Dale then. One win was a cup run in those days.

The season after we got promoted and finished 9th in Division 3?
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:53 - Nov 9 with 1598 viewsmingthemerciless

Sorry, the Workington loss at home must have been in the League. I definitely remember us losing to them at home in a miserable game. It would have been in the late sixties before we got promoted.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 23:57 - Nov 9 with 1589 viewsD_Alien

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:53 - Nov 9 by mingthemerciless

Sorry, the Workington loss at home must have been in the League. I definitely remember us losing to them at home in a miserable game. It would have been in the late sixties before we got promoted.

We lost at home to everyone in miserable games before we got promoted, tbf

Spotland in a November drizzle under weak floodlights - you had to be a supporter, not a fan

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 08:16 - Nov 10 with 1560 viewsSheffdale

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 21:44 - Nov 9 by TVOS1907

Before my time, but the book has us losing at Workington, with a goal by Whitehead, so you're probably correct.

I remember travelling back from the Workington game on an Ellen Smith coach, despondent, reflecting on Norman Whitehead's mazy runs and wayward shooting. As we left the ground, I happened to notice a flag flying boasting a recent award to Workington for being best behaved supporters in Division Four. That was just before a brick flew in through the window! Less stringent health and safety rules then meant of course we carried on regardless.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 08:45 - Nov 10 with 1548 viewsfermin

My first FA Cup game with Dale would have been the game at Manchester United. Travelled up on the Saturday and found out it was off as soon as I got off the train at Piccadilly. Even on my limited resources at the time I was prepared to stay overnight to see the game when it was rearranged for the Tuesday and then the Thursday. Unfortunately I got very sick overnight so couldn't go.

As I went on a period of going to a lot of neutral games soon after that to do the 92 my first ever Dale FA Cup game was not actually until the 5th round game at Crystal Palace in 1990.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 09:23 - Nov 10 with 1530 viewsScunnydale

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 09:49 - Nov 9 by deanogod

95/96 v rotherham . Won 5 3. Thompstone screamer

Mine too. Great game.

I remember walking up to Spotland and being surprised by the crowds. Not sure how many games I'd been to before that, but I know my first was a 0-0 against Torquay where there were 27 people in the away end (some were stewards), so any more than a coach full of away fans would have seemed huge to me!

Rotherham definitely fed the goat, and he did score (hat-trick, I seem to remember), but Dale's five put paid to their chances of progression.

Went to another game in that cup run where there were just seven goals in the match.
Login to get fewer ads

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 04:15 - Nov 11 with 1479 viewsDiddyDave

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 08:16 - Nov 10 by Sheffdale

I remember travelling back from the Workington game on an Ellen Smith coach, despondent, reflecting on Norman Whitehead's mazy runs and wayward shooting. As we left the ground, I happened to notice a flag flying boasting a recent award to Workington for being best behaved supporters in Division Four. That was just before a brick flew in through the window! Less stringent health and safety rules then meant of course we carried on regardless.

I was on that coach with my mates,Tony Bluett and Norman Ashworth.,it was bloody freezing all the way back with that back window out! Dale were leading 1-0 at the break,but Worky scored early in the second half,then their right winger,Helliwell,went on a run and smashed a screamer into the roof of the net from just outside the box. We didn`t play Worky in the league that year,they were in the 4th division. Dale were going well up to that game in the league,but faded and I think we came about midway. We got back to Rochdale and got off in town where we drowned our sorrows in the Slubbers on Smith Street,then went across the road to the famous Smith St. chippy. Can`t recall the bloke`s name,but he had a couple of gorgeous daughters who worked in there!
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 21:52 - Nov 12 with 1391 viewsmingthemerciless

Was that the David Helliwell who later briefly played for the Dale ? I remember him starting out at Blackburn Rovers. He was going to be the next Bryan Douglas.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 20:25 - Nov 13 with 1336 viewsSheffdale

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 21:52 - Nov 12 by mingthemerciless

Was that the David Helliwell who later briefly played for the Dale ? I remember him starting out at Blackburn Rovers. He was going to be the next Bryan Douglas.

Same one - transferred from Workington in 1976 and played for Dale 76-77; scored three times in 31 appearances. I was in London that year and don't think I saw the Dale play at all that season, so don't recall the player at all. Soccerbase says he then went to Morecambe and died in 2003.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 08:44 - Nov 16 with 1243 viewsbornosdale

The first FA Cup game I remember was in the 50s I was taken to see Dale play Charlton Athletic because Sam Bartram was playing in goal for them ( I believe he was the England keeper at the time ) We lost of course. I also remember the replay at Old Trafford when we couldn't see past half way.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 19:39 - Nov 16 with 1154 viewsHuddersdale1

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 11:12 - Nov 8 by seasidedale

Oldham at spotland 1970-71 first round won 2-0 we beat Darlo in round 2 before the famous coventry game, over 13,500 i think

Me too. Seem to remember the Biffos fancied their chances as they were going well at the top of Div 4 and we were struggling at the time near the bottom of Div 3, but we saw them off fairly comfortably.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 21:11 - Nov 16 with 1131 viewsmodelboydave

Remember the replay well - I missed the first goal I seem to remember queuing outside the sandy. I also think it was played on a Monday for some reason

Poll: Attention man united fans - who do you want to win the premier league?

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 21:33 - Nov 16 with 1117 viewsTVOS1907

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 21:11 - Nov 16 by modelboydave

Remember the replay well - I missed the first goal I seem to remember queuing outside the sandy. I also think it was played on a Monday for some reason

Do you mean the Huddersfield game, Dave?

It was postponed on Tuesday 22nd November (think it was a frozen pitch, but not 100% sure), so it was rearranged for Monday 28th November so a second replay, if necessary, could be played on Wednesday 30th November.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 08:14 - Nov 17 with 1087 viewsmodelboydave

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 21:33 - Nov 16 by TVOS1907

Do you mean the Huddersfield game, Dave?

It was postponed on Tuesday 22nd November (think it was a frozen pitch, but not 100% sure), so it was rearranged for Monday 28th November so a second replay, if necessary, could be played on Wednesday 30th November.

Yes sorry Mark.

Pressed the wrong reply button. Yes the Huddersfield match. Have a clear memory of being stood in a big queue at the sandy, and hearing a big roar. Think it was dale going 1-0 up.

I also clearly remember little junior Bent flying down the wing under the spotland lights.

Hard to believe its 26 years ago.

Poll: Attention man united fans - who do you want to win the premier league?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024