Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Done move confirmed 22:01 - Feb 2 with 24652 viewsCockneyDale

Confirmed by club on Twitter - Matty Done has gone to Sheff United
[Post edited 2 Feb 2015 22:02]
Done move confirmed on 10:49 - Feb 3 with 3184 viewsfitzochris

Done move confirmed on 10:39 - Feb 3 by D_Alien

Chesterfield have just sold Eoin Doyle.

We're trying to buy the stadium.

KH wants to build a SQUAD that can compete in the championship - that requires a lot of cash. Having managed there, he'll know that whilst we have a few players who might be championship standard, overall we haven't, and the Done cash might be utilised to make enough of a rise in our wage bill to give us a chance.

Does that answer your questions?

[Post edited 3 Feb 2015 10:42]

Just on the Doyle thing there, Chesterfield did instantly replace him with a decent loan signing.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Done move confirmed on 10:53 - Feb 3 with 3145 viewsD_Alien

Done move confirmed on 10:49 - Feb 3 by fitzochris

Just on the Doyle thing there, Chesterfield did instantly replace him with a decent loan signing.

KH pre-replaced him with two.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Done move confirmed on 10:56 - Feb 3 with 3126 viewsJumeirahDale

Done move confirmed on 10:45 - Feb 3 by JimmyRustler

We won't get into the Championship though if we keep selling our best players when we don't *need* to. I also think the chances of KH managing is in the Championship are extremely low. I can't see us getting in the playoffs this season now and I don't believe he will be here at the end of next. We all remember what happened after our first year in League 1 and things change very quickly.

"We won't get into the Championship though if we keep selling our best players when we don't *need* to."

How did we get into League 1 if that's the case?
Done move confirmed on 10:57 - Feb 3 with 3126 viewsfitzochris

Done move confirmed on 10:53 - Feb 3 by D_Alien

KH pre-replaced him with two.

I don't see it that way. We still needed another forward before Done left in my opinion. We shall see if Brandy or RNL step up. I hope one or both do. There is pressure on them now.

Done move confirmed on 11:03 - Feb 3 with 3095 viewsJimmyRustler

Done move confirmed on 10:56 - Feb 3 by JumeirahDale

"We won't get into the Championship though if we keep selling our best players when we don't *need* to."

Come off it. We know that League 2 and League 1 are completely different kettles of fish. Players who can succeed as this level are much harder to find than the ones who can do well at League 2 level. We got lucky with Hogan and he tore League 2 apart for example. We tried the same with Muldoon and although he had injury problems, he failed to make an impact. It's much more imperative at this level that you keep your best players and you only have to look at the strength of the teams in this division to see that
[Post edited 3 Feb 2015 11:06]
Done move confirmed on 11:09 - Feb 3 with 3067 viewsisitme

Done move confirmed on 10:49 - Feb 3 by fitzochris

How do you know he is decent loan signing if he hasn't even played a game yet?
Done move confirmed on 11:14 - Feb 3 with 3051 viewsfitzochris

Done move confirmed on 11:09 - Feb 3 by isitme

How do you know he is decent loan signing if he hasn't even played a game yet?

Anyone who follows football knows Lavery is a decent centre forward who was scoring goals in the Championship last season.

He played against us for Wednesday in the FA Cup last season.

If we signed him, I'd be happy.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2015 11:19]

Done move confirmed on 12:20 - Feb 3 with 2940 viewsfitzochris

Done move confirmed on 11:14 - Feb 3 by fitzochris

Anyone who follows football knows Lavery is a decent centre forward who was scoring goals in the Championship last season.

He played against us for Wednesday in the FA Cup last season.

If we signed him, I'd be happy.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2015 11:19]

Christ, I just read that back. I didn't mean it to sound as condescending as it reads. Sorry.

Just saying that had we signed an additional striker, such as Lavery or similar, then it would have eased Done's departure.

I reiterate, I know we have Brandy and RNL, but even before Done left, I felt we needed one more to spearhead the attack as cover for Done. I always saw Brandy and RNL as more inside forward types. As cover for Hendo and Vincenti, say.

Anyway, it's no good griping. Nothing will change between now and Saturday, so whoever takes to the field will get my full backing, support, encouragement etc.

Up the Dale.

Login to get fewer ads

Done move confirmed on 13:16 - Feb 3 with 2839 viewsJumeirahDale

Done move confirmed on 11:03 - Feb 3 by JimmyRustler

Come off it. We know that League 2 and League 1 are completely different kettles of fish. Players who can succeed as this level are much harder to find than the ones who can do well at League 2 level. We got lucky with Hogan and he tore League 2 apart for example. We tried the same with Muldoon and although he had injury problems, he failed to make an impact. It's much more imperative at this level that you keep your best players and you only have to look at the strength of the teams in this division to see that
[Post edited 3 Feb 2015 11:06]

Look at the strength of Bury's squad. How about Peterborough's? Or Notts County? Where are they in comparison to us? Whereas three of the top seven clubs in League One sold (arguably) their best player yesterday. I'd rather be in our gang than Bury's.

"Players who can succeed as this level are much harder to find than the ones who can do well at League 2 level."

We seem to have four or five from our academy alone that would contest that argument. How many of the promotion-winning teams in League Two (both 2010 and 2014) were from our academy? Just comparing Hogan with Muldoon as an argument that not selling players will punish you more in League 1 than League 2 is ridiculous.
Done move confirmed on 13:40 - Feb 3 with 2783 viewsBobbyjoe

Does this clear the way for Evans!
Done move confirmed on 13:58 - Feb 3 with 2746 viewspioneer

Done move confirmed on 10:39 - Feb 3 by D_Alien

Chesterfield have just sold Eoin Doyle.

We're trying to buy the stadium.

KH wants to build a SQUAD that can compete in the championship - that requires a lot of cash. Having managed there, he'll know that whilst we have a few players who might be championship standard, overall we haven't, and the Done cash might be utilised to make enough of a rise in our wage bill to give us a chance.

Does that answer your questions?

[Post edited 3 Feb 2015 10:42]

"Chesterfield have just sold Eoin Doyle" - Thanks, and I notice immediately signed another player. We now have a weaker squad than we had yesterday at this time.

"We're trying to buy the stadium". And we appear to have little if any competition for that so it is highly likely it would still be there . . for sale . . at the end of the season. And the pace with which this attempt to buy is moving I suspect it will be at the end of the season before it happens anyway

"KH wants to build a SQUAD that can compete in the championship - that requires a lot of cash. Having managed there, he'll know that whilst we have a few players who might be championship standard, overall we haven't, and the Done cash might be utilised to make enough of a rise in our wage bill to give us a chance." As above all of this could be done at the end of the season - as it is there are no new players coming in (except possibility of loans) so he didnt need the money for this . . . now.

So the net effect of yesterday is we have an undisclosed amount of extra cash in the bank doing nothing until the end of the season and a reduced squad of players.
Done move confirmed on 13:59 - Feb 3 with 2746 viewsdingdangblue

Done move confirmed on 10:56 - Feb 3 by JumeirahDale

Last Jan we accepted a bid from Peterborough for our top scorer. The Board accepted. We were going for promotion and sold our top scorer. The move broke down - Hogan stayed and scored 2 hat tricks in Feb and the games he won for us that month possibly helped us get that top 3 spot come May. We still sold him in the end but got promoted. I like this story.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Done move confirmed on 14:04 - Feb 3 with 2720 viewswimborne_dale

Done move confirmed on 22:19 - Feb 2 by deeplishblue

Can anyone think of another player that we have sold twice?

Matt Done, Matt Done. So good they sold him twice!

Edgar Allan's Crow

Done move confirmed on 14:08 - Feb 3 with 2707 viewsD_Alien

Done move confirmed on 13:58 - Feb 3 by pioneer

"Chesterfield have just sold Eoin Doyle" - Thanks, and I notice immediately signed another player. We now have a weaker squad than we had yesterday at this time.

"We're trying to buy the stadium". And we appear to have little if any competition for that so it is highly likely it would still be there . . for sale . . at the end of the season. And the pace with which this attempt to buy is moving I suspect it will be at the end of the season before it happens anyway

"KH wants to build a SQUAD that can compete in the championship - that requires a lot of cash. Having managed there, he'll know that whilst we have a few players who might be championship standard, overall we haven't, and the Done cash might be utilised to make enough of a rise in our wage bill to give us a chance." As above all of this could be done at the end of the season - as it is there are no new players coming in (except possibility of loans) so he didnt need the money for this . . . now.

So the net effect of yesterday is we have an undisclosed amount of extra cash in the bank doing nothing until the end of the season and a reduced squad of players.

As I've posted elsewhere...

It's either glass half full or glass half empty

Seems no amount of financial stability as a bedrock for moving the club forward as a whole will do if you're peering into a half empty glass

Done move confirmed on 14:25 - Feb 3 with 2649 viewsLuke8686

Done move confirmed on 13:59 - Feb 3 by dingdangblue

Last Jan we accepted a bid from Peterborough for our top scorer. The Board accepted. We were going for promotion and sold our top scorer. The move broke down - Hogan stayed and scored 2 hat tricks in Feb and the games he won for us that month possibly helped us get that top 3 spot come May. We still sold him in the end but got promoted. I like this story.

I disagree. Think we would have got promoted last season even if we sold Hogan in Jan. He missed a large part of the second half of the season due to injury. And when he wasn't available other players stepped up to the plate and did very well - Hendo, Joe Bunney, Lund, Vincenti etc. The games he scored hat-tricks in we would have won anyway imo. How about the 3-0 win away at N'hampton? the crucial 2-1 win at bristol rovers and of course the final game against Cheltenham? ALL games in which Hogan didn't play a part and yet crucial to promotion. So we have proved that other players can stand up and be counted and make a difference and I think it will happen again this season, albeit playing a league above.
Done move confirmed on 14:56 - Feb 3 with 2573 viewsdingdangblue

Done move confirmed on 14:25 - Feb 3 by Luke8686

I disagree. Think we would have got promoted last season even if we sold Hogan in Jan. He missed a large part of the second half of the season due to injury. And when he wasn't available other players stepped up to the plate and did very well - Hendo, Joe Bunney, Lund, Vincenti etc. The games he scored hat-tricks in we would have won anyway imo. How about the 3-0 win away at N'hampton? the crucial 2-1 win at bristol rovers and of course the final game against Cheltenham? ALL games in which Hogan didn't play a part and yet crucial to promotion. So we have proved that other players can stand up and be counted and make a difference and I think it will happen again this season, albeit playing a league above.

How can you say the games he scored hat tricks in we would have won anyway? We scored 3 in both games and he got all 3 in both. The game at Wimbledon especially - was a Hogan master class in finishing - he won almost single handedly. We will see on Saturday and in the forthcoming month how much Done's departure affects our team. Hopefully others with step up to the plate and deliver. Knowing Hillys Midas touch we'll go and win 4 on the bounce!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Done move confirmed on 15:44 - Feb 3 with 2480 viewspioneer

Done move confirmed on 14:08 - Feb 3 by D_Alien

As I've posted elsewhere...

It's either glass half full or glass half empty

Seems no amount of financial stability as a bedrock for moving the club forward as a whole will do if you're peering into a half empty glass

Not peering into any glasses.

The importance of the financial stability as a bedrock is not being disputed. Just not clear how doing this now as opposed to in the summer changes that - unless you believe Done will not be as valuable a commodity in the summer and/or someone else is going to come in to take ownership of the stadium.

The money involved, whatever it may be, is not needed now - we haven't signed any new players and wont be doing so until after the end of the season, if we look to extend the deals of existing players the extra payments involved wont kick in until the end of their current contracts (end of season at earliest). The board have confirmed we are in decent financial shape already for this season (so no pressing bills). We simply have money in the bank now instead of at the end of the season and that money will not score or make goals for us. Instead we have one less asset and that asset is now being used (to score and make goals) for one of our competitors.

How does selling now as opposed to waiting until the end of the season increase our chances of promotion/play offs, increase our chances of staying up should we go up?
Done move confirmed on 16:15 - Feb 3 with 2408 viewsSuddenLad

Done move confirmed on 15:44 - Feb 3 by pioneer

The importance of the financial stability as a bedrock is not being disputed. Just not clear how doing this now as opposed to in the summer changes that - unless you believe Done will not be as valuable a commodity in the summer and/or someone else is going to come in to take ownership of the stadium.

The money involved, whatever it may be, is not needed now - we haven't signed any new players and wont be doing so until after the end of the season, if we look to extend the deals of existing players the extra payments involved wont kick in until the end of their current contracts (end of season at earliest). The board have confirmed we are in decent financial shape already for this season (so no pressing bills). We simply have money in the bank now instead of at the end of the season and that money will not score or make goals for us. Instead we have one less asset and that asset is now being used (to score and make goals) for one of our competitors.

How does selling now as opposed to waiting until the end of the season increase our chances of promotion/play offs, increase our chances of staying up should we go up?

To answer your final question, It won't. What it will do is give us the means to buy the stadium and for everyone at Board level, that is a priority.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Done move confirmed on 16:34 - Feb 3 with 2358 viewsbeat_the_bishop

Done move confirmed on 15:44 - Feb 3 by pioneer

You are pissing in the wind mate. And the wind is that strong it's blowing it into your face!

How anyone can disagree with what you are saying or spin it on its head is strange in my opinion. Don't come out to the fans waving your c*ck at how we are in a good position financially and we do not need to sell a single player right now. Then a day or two later sell arguably your BEST player to a fellow playoff contender. So basically well done to you Matty Done, you've been excellent as a reward we will let you continue doing what we have allowed you to do (play as a striker) and score goals and finish the job for Sheffield United because we at Rochdale are happy not to bother this season we would rather bank the money, finish mid table but look on the bright side, we might own the stadium at the end of the season.

Playoff fight or stadium? I repeat, playoff fight or stadium?

If you are happy paying your money at the turnstile for the remainder of the season with the glimmer of hope that the stadium gets purchased and that's your 'reward' as a fan this season then once again i find that completely strange.

Whether I am alone here or not, I see it as my entrance fee money is paying a fraction of Dones wages which in return brings me excitement and the dream of the second tier of English football. Not once does it cross my mind that I'm aiding the purchase of the stadium, to be honest I don't really care. Yes I would like us to purchase it, but you can sort that out whilst playing championship football just like you can sort it out playing league one football.
Done move confirmed on 16:57 - Feb 3 with 2301 viewspioneer

Done move confirmed on 16:15 - Feb 3 by SuddenLad

To answer your final question, It won't. What it will do is give us the means to buy the stadium and for everyone at Board level, that is a priority.

And we would have the same (or possibly more) means to do that at the end of the season - so why not keep him until then and cash in the asset then.

The means to buy the stadium would not disappear if we keep the assets we have until then.

If I have to sell my car to afford my dream vacation but need my car for the next three months why not simply delay my vacation until then.
Done move confirmed on 16:59 - Feb 3 with 2291 viewsSuddenLad

Done move confirmed on 16:57 - Feb 3 by pioneer

And we would have the same (or possibly more) means to do that at the end of the season - so why not keep him until then and cash in the asset then.

The means to buy the stadium would not disappear if we keep the assets we have until then.

If I have to sell my car to afford my dream vacation but need my car for the next three months why not simply delay my vacation until then.

Suppose deadlines are to be considered for purchasing the shares. What then ?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Done move confirmed on 18:28 - Feb 3 with 2168 viewsAlexF

Really really disappointed by this. Like others, I accept he may want to go, and that we may want to cash in, but why why sell your top scorer in the middle of the season? We've all been agreeing that what we have been lacking this season is a natural goalscorer (Stoke was the most recent example), we just made it so much worse. Mid table at best now.
Done move confirmed on 19:31 - Feb 3 with 2079 viewsJumeirahDale

Done move confirmed on 13:59 - Feb 3 by dingdangblue

But that's all it is - a story. There are hundreds of anecdotes stacking up on both sides of the argument - "we did this with player X, therefore I'm right", "this team did this, so NO, you're wrong and im right". One anecdote doesn't prove an argument. It's a simple difference of opinion between the conservative and the aggressive. IMO since we became a selling club in the Parkin years, the club has gone from strength to strength compared to what went before. Long may it continue.
Done move confirmed on 20:02 - Feb 3 with 1990 viewsJimmyRustler

Done move confirmed on 13:16 - Feb 3 by JumeirahDale

Look at the strength of Bury's squad. How about Peterborough's? Or Notts County? Where are they in comparison to us? Whereas three of the top seven clubs in League One sold (arguably) their best player yesterday. I'd rather be in our gang than Bury's.

"Players who can succeed as this level are much harder to find than the ones who can do well at League 2 level."

We seem to have four or five from our academy alone that would contest that argument. How many of the promotion-winning teams in League Two (both 2010 and 2014) were from our academy? Just comparing Hogan with Muldoon as an argument that not selling players will punish you more in League 1 than League 2 is ridiculous.

Citing teams that are underperforming isn't really relevant because there are clearly other underlying reasons as to why Bury aren't doing well for example. MK Dons loaned back Ali and Chesterfield will have got £1m plus for Doyle so there's really no reason why they wouldn't sell.

Tanser and Allen are doing well. No one else has proved themselves yet. Players coming through the academy and immediately settling into the team is a rare occurrence, even rarer the higher the level you're playing at.

Muldoon and Hogan was just ONE example which shows how lucky we got with Hogan. Replacing a player like Done is an almost impossible task at League 1 level and to sell when we didn't need to smacks of a lack of ambition. It's all well and good KH building for the future when in reality he probaby won't be here to see it out (just like his last 7 year plan).
Done move confirmed on 20:22 - Feb 3 with 1934 viewsD_Alien

Done move confirmed on 19:31 - Feb 3 by JumeirahDale

But that's all it is - a story. There are hundreds of anecdotes stacking up on both sides of the argument - "we did this with player X, therefore I'm right", "this team did this, so NO, you're wrong and im right". One anecdote doesn't prove an argument. It's a simple difference of opinion between the conservative and the aggressive. IMO since we became a selling club in the Parkin years, the club has gone from strength to strength compared to what went before. Long may it continue.

Just as a matter of interest - which side of the debate are the conservatives on? If I'm reading you right, those who're happy with the sale of Matty Done because of the finance/building aspect, are the conservatives.

But I can't be deemed to be both conservative and aggressive in the same week without a severe bout of schizophrenia!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024