Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road 12:44 - Sep 16 with 3927 viewsActonOccident

Anyone had any hassle taking in a DSLR into the ground before? I vaguely remember the Korean Park groupies regularly walking down the steps to get as close as possible to snap their hero, but can't remember if they were doing it on hefty equipment.

Never had a problem with the stewards myself previously, but reading some of the horror stories from others, thought I'd check.
Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 12:48 - Sep 16 with 3911 viewsLewes_r

There are one or two good photographers that use this forum I think Justin? is one of them.. sure you'll get an answer.. I wouldn't risk it without knowing personally

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 13:50 - Sep 16 with 3831 viewsLblock

Just whack it down your pants and tell them you're really, really, REALLY excited to be attending another rip roaring home performance from CHRIS and his charges

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 13:55 - Sep 16 with 3821 viewsKonk

Don't know about LR, but you're not supposed to take anything vaguely "professional" into the Cottage. I've had a couple of overseas guests have to hand their cameras into security when they were searched going into the ground. Just a lucky guess, but this being modern football in England, I'm sure it's got something to do with money!

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 14:23 - Sep 16 with 3777 viewsActonOccident

Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 13:55 - Sep 16 by Konk

Don't know about LR, but you're not supposed to take anything vaguely "professional" into the Cottage. I've had a couple of overseas guests have to hand their cameras into security when they were searched going into the ground. Just a lucky guess, but this being modern football in England, I'm sure it's got something to do with money!

Sounds about right unfortunately, guess it's not worth the risk. Just wanted to play around with a new toy/hobby, not milk the mighty QPR/Football League/Sky out of exclusive footage and media content. Bah.
Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 14:25 - Sep 16 with 3769 viewskingsburyR

Does that include your playing staff?????

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 14:25 - Sep 16 with 3767 viewsLblock

It's funny though isn't it -- your bags dont get searched nor your person if you are going in via the corporate entrance
(Which is laughably a pair of Paddy O'Doors)

Modern day moneyball

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 14:44 - Sep 16 with 3730 viewsKonk

Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 14:25 - Sep 16 by kingsburyR

Does that include your playing staff?????

Touche. Yeah, that would certainly explain the last couple of years away!

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 15:24 - Sep 16 with 3680 viewsBklynRanger

I think (not 100%) that Juzzie pulls off those shots of his with some kind of fairly compact 'superzoom' type camera.

I never tried to take a DSLR in, mainly because I was concerned about getting hammered afterwards and leaving it in the pub. A lot of places use a combination of the 'detachable lens' and anything over 100mm rule as a way of trying to rule out DSLRs, but don't know how strict they are at LR.

If it was me, overall I'd probably leave it at home unless somebody with experience of it gives a concrete yes.
Login to get fewer ads

Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 15:31 - Sep 16 with 3671 viewsDesertBoot

shouldn't be a problem. Someone who sits on front of me has an all singing and dancing Nikon most weeks.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 15:47 - Sep 16 with 3640 viewsOakR

I'd not risk it myself.

I believe that generally 'professional' cameras are not allowed in, which would normally have meant DSLRs, but now increasingly some of the smaller mirrorless cameras.

You may as well just email QPR and ask, if they say yes take that email printed with you, if they so no up to you if you want to risk it or not. It might also depend on the lens you were planning on taking, a 50mm might be deemed ok, if you are taking something 300/400mm + can't imagine they would be happy, and nor possibly some sat around you.

As an asise if you wanted to practice action shots best place is probably local Sunday league etc, it's a lot harder than it looks!

Enjoy your new toy!

Poll: Will we stay up?

Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 16:10 - Sep 16 with 3609 viewsActonOccident

Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 15:47 - Sep 16 by OakR

I'd not risk it myself.

I believe that generally 'professional' cameras are not allowed in, which would normally have meant DSLRs, but now increasingly some of the smaller mirrorless cameras.

You may as well just email QPR and ask, if they say yes take that email printed with you, if they so no up to you if you want to risk it or not. It might also depend on the lens you were planning on taking, a 50mm might be deemed ok, if you are taking something 300/400mm + can't imagine they would be happy, and nor possibly some sat around you.

As an asise if you wanted to practice action shots best place is probably local Sunday league etc, it's a lot harder than it looks!

Enjoy your new toy!

Can't imagine trying to steady a lens that long within the cozy confines of the seating at QPR!

As I suspected...this would probably be more of a ballache than is worth it. Like you say, maybe worth trying it out in the lower echelons...doubt the stewards at Hanwell Town or North Greenford will kick up too much of a fuss.
Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 16:19 - Sep 16 with 3595 viewswombat

Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 16:10 - Sep 16 by ActonOccident

Can't imagine trying to steady a lens that long within the cozy confines of the seating at QPR!

As I suspected...this would probably be more of a ballache than is worth it. Like you say, maybe worth trying it out in the lower echelons...doubt the stewards at Hanwell Town or North Greenford will kick up too much of a fuss.

used to take two in most home games years ago , and to be honest half the steward there wouldnt no a 50mm lens to a 400 mm lens id take a chance myself , cant see karl henry being to worried about his image rights can you ?

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 23:20 - Sep 16 with 3431 viewsJuzzie

My photos were taken with a Canon dSLR with a 70-200mm f4.0 L USM lens.

The rule i think is no photos of any kind are allowed but thats impossible to police these days.
I got told off a few times because the image quality with my set up is so much better than any phone/tablet/compact (its not about pixel size). Being a ST holder i had to stop.

"Compacts are ok" the steward told me. Basically a point-and-click just cannot compete even if it has 24 mega pixels and 10x zoom because the quality of the lens just isn't up to it.

I generally use it for the last home game of the season and pre season friendlies.

Its all about players "image rights" and not taking work away from the professionals. They have a camera/lens set up that probably costs £5k-£10k (for the bigger lenses) so even a reasonable dSLR still cant compete.

It does depend on where you sit and be mindful not to annoy anyone around you but I say go for it. All the steward can do is ask you to stop. If they do, be polite & compliant and put it away. Don't give them an opportunity to ask again.
Don't let them take it off you, i certainly would not hand over nearly a grands worth of camera/lens. Just make sure you have a camera bag and put it in so it can be seen it has been put away.

[Post edited 16 Sep 2015 23:29]
Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 00:51 - Sep 17 with 3369 viewsozranger

Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 16:10 - Sep 16 by ActonOccident

You should never have any problems at the non-league grounds. I went to a large number of non-league grounds when I was there in 2013 and never had my bag opened by any steward. In fact I ended up chatting to other photographers, some who were shooting for the clubs. Evening games, especially at North Greenford, can have very poor light, so it may not be worthwhile. The only real rules are no flash, under any circumstances, during the game and, as Jussie mentioned, do not disturb others. Here is Aussieland I shoot for a Melbourne-based outfit and it is all the same as there. For the top games (A-League) you require permission, even as a spectator, if you have a semi-professional lens or better while from there down it is pretty carefree. Good luck with it all.
Taking a chunky camera into Loftus Road on 14:27 - Sep 17 with 3240 viewsActonOccident

Thanks for the responses everyone, fantastic stuff, credit to a great message board, much appreciated.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024