Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham 16:52 - Nov 7 with 21120 viewsSuddenLad

Lose 1 - 0 in FA Cup. Surely, that's the end of LJ....... ??

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 10:44 - Nov 8 with 3955 viewsaleanddale

One year it was very very close.

As TS put.. I am not sure we would have recovered.

There are plenty of supposed bigger clubs over the years re elected. It was just how it worked 35 years ago.

We are certainly a different club at the moment.. Thank god we have had some quite brilliant Chairmen over the years.
Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 10:49 - Nov 8 with 3933 viewsTalkingSutty

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 10:01 - Nov 8 by Dorislove

http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id

Cheers Doris, that sheds a bit more light on the two clubs who missed the vote.
Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 10:52 - Nov 8 with 3923 viewsDomDale

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 10:01 - Nov 8 by Dorislove

http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id

Although it saved Dales bacon a few times the re election era looks a farce. What was the reasoning behind keeping the FL such a closed shop? Saying that i look at some of the recently bankrolled non league teams who have made it into the league and do think that financially Dale would be better off if a club like Grimsby , Wrexham, Stockport etc was coming to visit rather than a Fleetwood or Crawley.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 10:58 - Nov 8 with 3896 viewsTalkingSutty

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 10:52 - Nov 8 by DomDale

Although it saved Dales bacon a few times the re election era looks a farce. What was the reasoning behind keeping the FL such a closed shop? Saying that i look at some of the recently bankrolled non league teams who have made it into the league and do think that financially Dale would be better off if a club like Grimsby , Wrexham, Stockport etc was coming to visit rather than a Fleetwood or Crawley.

A definite farce and a closed shop, it saved our bacon though.
Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 11:00 - Nov 8 with 3894 viewsD_Alien

Even in those days, I think it was recognised that taking ownership of a football club was a ready-made vehicle for chancers. The fact that Fred Ratcliffe had ploughed so much of his own money into keeping Dale afloat counted massively in his favour.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 13:30 - Nov 8 with 3789 viewsNigeriamark

It was. And by rights we should have gone out. Thankfully the Luton and Grimsby chairmen did not turn up ( although it may only be legend that they would have voted for Altrincham). Fair to say that we were very very lucky. If one of the twohad turned up and it was a tie not sure what would have happened.. Great post showing the history of re-election though - Thanks Gorislove
[Post edited 8 Nov 2015 13:32]
Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 14:43 - Nov 8 with 3669 viewsBartRowou

Sometimes you've just got to stand back and have a slight smirk at others' misfortune when they have wronged you in the past. So today I am enjoying Notts Co's misery and Barnsley's too. For obvious reasons.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 14:50 - Nov 8 with 3661 viewsColDale

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 13:30 - Nov 8 by Nigeriamark

It was. And by rights we should have gone out. Thankfully the Luton and Grimsby chairmen did not turn up ( although it may only be legend that they would have voted for Altrincham). Fair to say that we were very very lucky. If one of the twohad turned up and it was a tie not sure what would have happened.. Great post showing the history of re-election though - Thanks Gorislove
[Post edited 8 Nov 2015 13:32]

I've long since thought that relegation to the Conference was the best thing to ever happen to us. It forced us as a club to get our act together when re-election was something of a safety net. Think the Burnley chairman at the time said that relegation was brought in for the likes of Rochdale, and whilst it was said in defence of his own side, he was probably right. That first season of relegation with Lyndon Simmonds et al was the first season in year on year progress as a football club. Don't think we've ever really looked back as in nearly thirty years of relegation to the conference, we've only ever flirted with the drop.
Login to get fewer ads

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 18:58 - Nov 8 with 3489 viewsWhiteyBFC

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 14:43 - Nov 8 by BartRowou

Sometimes you've just got to stand back and have a slight smirk at others' misfortune when they have wronged you in the past. So today I am enjoying Notts Co's misery and Barnsley's too. For obvious reasons.

We didn't wrong you. Your manager left you.

Anyway, our owner has today told us he has devised an exit strategy. It's never dull being a Barnsley supporter. Except on matchdays for 90 minutes under Lee Johnson.
Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 19:16 - Nov 8 with 3440 viewsBigKindo

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 18:58 - Nov 8 by WhiteyBFC

Anyway, our owner has today told us he has devised an exit strategy. It's never dull being a Barnsley supporter. Except on matchdays for 90 minutes under Lee Johnson.

Lo Whitey. As I reported in another thread the Tykes may have to accept Patrick Cryne jumping ship? What of the future if Stones doesn't go to Chelsea?
Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 19:19 - Nov 8 with 3433 viewsfitzochris

"I don't know what those centre halves were doing, waiting for someone else to pick the ball up? I just tapped it in."

Damien Reeves, Match of the Day, 8.11.15

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 19:20 - Nov 8 with 3431 viewsSuddenLad

He only departed these shores when the lure of 'filthy lucre' and certain 'promises' were given. Money isn't everything, but KH's 'fire-fighting' skills were sadly insufficient.

Sadly, as it turned out, it wasn't to be. Clearly, Oakwell doesn't provide a happy environment to work in as a variety of people will testify.

Must be hell, standing/sitting on the sidelines watching your club slip towards the bottom of the football coupon. The common factor seems to be Cryne. I confess to not knowing the first thing about him, but the longer he stays, it seems the bigger your problems will become and the worse the reputation for working there will be.

Reading your message board is an eye-opener.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 19:41 - Nov 8 with 3359 viewsMorden

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 14:50 - Nov 8 by ColDale

I've long since thought that relegation to the Conference was the best thing to ever happen to us. It forced us as a club to get our act together when re-election was something of a safety net. Think the Burnley chairman at the time said that relegation was brought in for the likes of Rochdale, and whilst it was said in defence of his own side, he was probably right. That first season of relegation with Lyndon Simmonds et al was the first season in year on year progress as a football club. Don't think we've ever really looked back as in nearly thirty years of relegation to the conference, we've only ever flirted with the drop.

I've worked out the first sentence now.

I think there might be one or two who would like re-election to re-appear. Mark Hodkinson for one; he says so in Life Sentence
Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 19:58 - Nov 8 with 3313 viewsdogboy

Remember the times in the 70s and MEN reporting that we had been relected to the football league;terrible times in June and even now I think of how we could have been dumped in the NPL and Spotland would have ben a new housing estate and we would have been playing Padiham and Squires gate in Castleton.

Does anybody remember the fiasco of Colne Dynamoes moving up a league if Burnley lost the Orient game
Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 20:47 - Nov 8 with 3197 viewsfermin

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 19:41 - Nov 8 by Morden

I've worked out the first sentence now.

I think there might be one or two who would like re-election to re-appear. Mark Hodkinson for one; he says so in Life Sentence

Interestingly, I have seen the same point of view from a few non-league fans. I think it was Scrutator in the programme a few years ago (apologies if I have got this wrong) who said something along the lines that a particular club had the stench of non-league - he may have got into trouble for it. I have heard the argument that the Conference has been polluted by the stench of League clubs, so that it is no longer the pinnacle of non-league football to which clubs can aspire, but a division 5 full of ex-League clubs desperate to escape it and a collection of bankrolled clubs with ambitions beyond their support base. Similarly the relatively prestigious FA Trophy is demeaned by ex-League clubs who can't be bothered with it until the later rounds (a bit like the JPT for us).

I suspect that this is not a common view but I have heard it expressed. A bit similar to the point made in a newspaper article today about the big plans for Salford, which said that people go and watch clubs like Salford partly or entirely because they are not 'big-time' professional clubs:

'The difficult part will be finding the balance between the owners’ ambitions and the feelings of the supporters. Do those hardy souls who have wandered down to Moor Lane all those years, with the clanking turnstiles, the gaps in the fences and a team running out to Dirty Old Town by the Pogues, really want the gleaming 20,000-seat stadium that the Class of ’92 envisages at some time in the future? Or are those supporters reasonably happy on the non-league circuit, away from all the turn-offs of professional football, and not particularly enthused by the prospect that one day their little ground might be turned into the next flat-pack arena?'

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/07/class-of-92-salford-city
Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 20:58 - Nov 8 with 2959 viewsarchdale

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 03:15 - Nov 8 by TalkingSutty

To be fair, the vote was a foregone conclusion,nothing could save Rochdale this time and the sands of time for the club had run out. Radio Manchester was probably the best source of gaining any news on the goings on at the club, next to the Rochdale Observer (Les Barlow, I think) and they had more or less deemed that Altrinchams wait was over, in fact the whole country had. Everybody seemed happy to welcome them aboard and f*ck little old Rochdale.

Spotland was a mud heap and the ground was falling to pieces, i think even most Dale fans at that time thought the game was up. I distinctly remember listening to Altrinchams fans and their Chairman being interviewed on the radio and they seemed to have accepted that they would be taking Rochdales place in the Football League. Everybody had accepted it, we where finished.

I think it was either Monday or Tuesday afternoon when the news of the vote filtered through and I was again tuned into Radio Manchester, nobody could believe we had managed to retain our league status. This will always be our biggest victory, the most important day in the Clubs history i think, I can't think of a bigger one. The Club in those days was on a constant life support machine and elimination from the league would probably have resulted in us closing down.The surprise and relief was a bit overwhelming, i still remember the feelings even now.

A whole generation of Altrinchams fans have been consigned to a life of non league Football as a result of that 'Nailed on' vote and having worked with one of them they still have a real bitterness towards our club, they have had to live with it for nearly 40 years. They will never get over what happened on that day, it was like we somehow cheated them out of their rightful place, which of course we didnt, we had a bloody great Chairman at the time though which helped!!

Altrincham away in the Cup would be fantastic!!
[Post edited 8 Nov 2015 3:24]

I remember the day clearly. It was a Friday afternoon in June in the days before Radio 5 Live and Radio 2 had regular sports news bulletins on the half hour.
The announcer began the 2,30 bulletin with the words, ''and news from the Football League Meeting at.... Rochdale have been re-elected to the Football League'.
The voting system allowed 1st and 2nd Division Clubs a vote each. 3rd and 4th Division clubs each had 4 votes between them. As has been mentioned 2 clubs failed to vote. Luton failed to turn up in time but in Grimsby's case it was because, having been promoted from the 3rd division at the end of the season, they didn't realise that they now had an individual vote.
Altrincham reckoned that both clubs had said they would support them, but who knows?
Bob Stokoe actually did us few favours in the build up to the meeting, claiming that Rochdale was unmanageable.
Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 21:35 - Nov 8 with 2864 viewsDorislove

Who do Alty want in the next round ,here is a snippet from one poster.
My top 5:-

Bury
Orient (nostalgia...we did them before)
Oldham
Rochdale (should have been relegated from FL in 1980's, but thats a different story)
Sheff Utd

My Worst 5 :-

Accrington
FCR
Salford
FCUM
Barnet

he prefers the buckets FFS
Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 22:08 - Nov 8 with 2793 viewsguiseleyfan

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 10:40 - Nov 8 by D_Alien

Absolutely fascinating insight into Football League history that! Cheers!

One name from 1893: Middlesbrough Ironopolis!!

I noticed with some pleasure the reference to Ironopolis, which later became the Middlesbrough FC we know today. My grandfather George Smart played in goals for the club for several years and I have a match report, culled from the internet,relating to an experimental evening match on February 6th. 1890 against the "Sheffield club". (apparently lit by "the erratic flaring of the nine lights"and in front of a 3000 crowd). Ironopolis won 10- 2 ,the reporter adding that "Smart once again demonstrating himself not inaptly named".

Sadly, some years later, Grandad suffered a knee injury which became gangrenous and his leg had to be amputated. I would have loved to meet him but he died in 1934.
Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 22:36 - Nov 8 with 2737 viewsR17ALE

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 22:08 - Nov 8 by guiseleyfan

I noticed with some pleasure the reference to Ironopolis, which later became the Middlesbrough FC we know today. My grandfather George Smart played in goals for the club for several years and I have a match report, culled from the internet,relating to an experimental evening match on February 6th. 1890 against the "Sheffield club". (apparently lit by "the erratic flaring of the nine lights"and in front of a 3000 crowd). Ironopolis won 10- 2 ,the reporter adding that "Smart once again demonstrating himself not inaptly named".

Sadly, some years later, Grandad suffered a knee injury which became gangrenous and his leg had to be amputated. I would have loved to meet him but he died in 1934.

My Great Grandfather played in net for Newton Heath prior to them becoming Man Utd.

Has any other poster got a more loathsome relative?

I'm expecting someone Hitler to appear. Miliband won't do!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 22:41 - Nov 8 with 2723 viewsnordenblue

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 22:36 - Nov 8 by R17ALE

My Great Grandfather played in net for Newton Heath prior to them becoming Man Utd.

Im related to Jon Boardman surely that counts razz?
Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 22:46 - Nov 8 with 2715 viewsTVOS1907

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 20:47 - Nov 8 by fermin

Interestingly, I have seen the same point of view from a few non-league fans. I think it was Scrutator in the programme a few years ago (apologies if I have got this wrong) who said something along the lines that a particular club had the stench of non-league - he may have got into trouble for it. I have heard the argument that the Conference has been polluted by the stench of League clubs, so that it is no longer the pinnacle of non-league football to which clubs can aspire, but a division 5 full of ex-League clubs desperate to escape it and a collection of bankrolled clubs with ambitions beyond their support base. Similarly the relatively prestigious FA Trophy is demeaned by ex-League clubs who can't be bothered with it until the later rounds (a bit like the JPT for us).

I suspect that this is not a common view but I have heard it expressed. A bit similar to the point made in a newspaper article today about the big plans for Salford, which said that people go and watch clubs like Salford partly or entirely because they are not 'big-time' professional clubs:

'The difficult part will be finding the balance between the owners’ ambitions and the feelings of the supporters. Do those hardy souls who have wandered down to Moor Lane all those years, with the clanking turnstiles, the gaps in the fences and a team running out to Dirty Old Town by the Pogues, really want the gleaming 20,000-seat stadium that the Class of ’92 envisages at some time in the future? Or are those supporters reasonably happy on the non-league circuit, away from all the turn-offs of professional football, and not particularly enthused by the prospect that one day their little ground might be turned into the next flat-pack arena?'

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/07/class-of-92-salford-city

Scrutator was writing about Dagenham's promotion to the Football League and he described their ground, on having seen it on television, as akin to a shanty town.

The problem was that he wrote it in TVOS for a game v Macclesfield, who then posted it on a forum where it was picked up by people from Dagenham.

We got a rap on the knuckles for it, but Scrutator is unmoved in his opinion!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 00:29 - Nov 9 with 2613 viewsYadHoDale

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 22:36 - Nov 8 by R17ALE

Loathesome ancestors?

Done the tracing family tree gig, and discovered I'm apparently descended ftom the De Baskerville family of Herefordshire, and hence various 12th/13th century Kings and Princes, many of whom were probably pretty repulsive. After all, there must be a reason why you get a nickname like Alfonso The Slobberer or Sancho The Gouty... :)

As far as footballers go, a coisin married a chap who played for Arsenal (Reserves), York City and Bradford PA, whilst another married into a familyfrom Hull called Flounders in the late 19th century - I believe former Dale player Andy was from that part of the world...
Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 00:38 - Nov 9 with 2602 viewsD_Alien

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 00:29 - Nov 9 by YadHoDale

Loathesome ancestors?

Done the tracing family tree gig, and discovered I'm apparently descended ftom the De Baskerville family of Herefordshire, and hence various 12th/13th century Kings and Princes, many of whom were probably pretty repulsive. After all, there must be a reason why you get a nickname like Alfonso The Slobberer or Sancho The Gouty... :)

As far as footballers go, a coisin married a chap who played for Arsenal (Reserves), York City and Bradford PA, whilst another married into a familyfrom Hull called Flounders in the late 19th century - I believe former Dale player Andy was from that part of the world...

I just had to google those names.

http://www.medievalists.net/2013/10/22/alfonso-the-slobberer-and-ivar-the-bonele

We could do worse than adopt the same practise by naming footballers.

I'll start with:

Hendo the Magnificent
Allen the Midget
McDermott the Cup Eared
Lund the LobShouldered

Wonder if we can name the entire squad?
[Post edited 9 Nov 2015 0:44]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 09:02 - Nov 9 with 2424 viewsleedsdale

Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 00:38 - Nov 9 by D_Alien

I just had to google those names.

http://www.medievalists.net/2013/10/22/alfonso-the-slobberer-and-ivar-the-bonele

We could do worse than adopt the same practise by naming footballers.

I'll start with:

Hendo the Magnificent
Allen the Midget
McDermott the Cup Eared
Lund the LobShouldered

Wonder if we can name the entire squad?
[Post edited 9 Nov 2015 0:44]

Eastham the Invisible
Calvin the Profligate
Barnsley dumped out by Altrincham on 10:24 - Nov 9 with 2313 viewsdingdangblue

Under your current manager your Exit Strategy seems to be:

Exit out of the FA Cup
Exit out of League 1........

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024