Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games 14:13 - Dec 10 with 9950 viewsNDGN82

We have been in need of signing a proper striker/goalscorer since Scott Hogan's departure in July 2014. Why does KH refuse to sign one?! Yes Matty Done worked but by chance

We are financially better off than we have been for a number of years - receiving over £300k in relation to Craig Dawson in July of this year, being one of the latest windfalls. What KH fails to realise is that if you don't put the ball in the net, you don't win games, people don't enjoy going to games and as a result the crowds dwindle - this costs the club money! Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate! Spend £100k-£150k on a young forward who can't quite get in at a Championship club, pay them a couple of grand a week if needs be. The extra excitement/buzz around the place when he scores a few goals will increase the revenue brought into the club, then knowing us, we'd be able to sell him 12 months down the line for at least double what we've paid. Nothing lost, everything gained!!

It becomes very frustrating when KH refuses to sign anyone on loan (barring the keeper) and then when he does he signs yet another attacking midfielder in o'sullivan! What's the point of having 11 attacking midfielders (including strikers coverted to attacking midfielders - i.e. Joe Bunney) at the club but no one to stick the ball in the onion bag?!

Calvin Andrew to be fair has done all that is being asked of him on the pitch - he's holding the ball up, he's winning the headers but there is no-one playing off him for the majority of the game. If big Calvin is to continue up front he separately needs someone (a pocher of the Alfie nature) alongside him.

Even if KH is desparate NOT to sign a striker, what's wrong with sticking Bell, or the big French lad on for 20 minutes to give them a chance. We're not scoring anyhow so what would be lost?! The fact he may not like how they train or that they are not as fit as Matty Done (who is a freak of nature running around at 100mph for 90 mins) - who cares! We could have a gem on our hands that is shit in training but puts the ball in the net everytime he gets on the pitch - yet we're missing out on seeing that kind of talent through sheer stubbornness by the looks of things.

Just feel like i'm throwing my £20+ down the grid everytime I go to a game. Would be nice to get that buzz that we all had when we signed Paul Connor back in the day, and who knows we might end up with a play off push (more money) or at least keep us out of a relegation scrap which could yet happen!

Rant over!
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 17:02 - Dec 10 with 2144 viewsMancDale

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 16:51 - Dec 10 by NDGN82

Agree to a certain extent but we did have a shed load of chances first half against Bury but nobody to convert them!

Other games we have been very limited in terms of chances but short of re-jigging the formation (which Keith Hill won't do) then I can only see it remaining that way. In which case we a forward that can create their own chances - someone like that though would probably be out of our price range or already playing at a higher level though yes.

Let's go back to 4-4-2 and enjoy some balls into the box for two forwards to get on the end of! Yes we might concede more but we might score more than none!

I think KH is worried we'll get overrun in midfield playing 4-4-2 but when we played that way first time around (in league 2), both wingers worked there socks off to double up and help out the fullbacks and get forward aswell. Joe Thompson on one side and Will Buckley on the other - granted Thompson didn't excite us going forward as much as we'd have liked but he wasn't half effective at defending from the front (or wing as it was). Play Hendo as one of the front 2, doing the Dagnall bit of chasing down from the front, with someone half decent alongside him, whoever that might be

Think we'd probably get battered playing 442 with our current midfield. Do agree that it'd be good to see us mix it up a bit more though. From my perhaps uneducated point of view we've played the same way in every game this season. In the last couple of seasons we've been much less predictable. It's a strange one really. Our league position is fine and I have no doubt that if you gave the job to any other manager in this division then we'd be nailed on for relegation. At the same time I go to football to be entertained and in most games we've just not done that.
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 17:05 - Dec 10 with 2135 viewsNDGN82

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 16:27 - Dec 10 by aleanddale

i was just managing your expectation NDGN82

Thanks - I do get carried away at times . One can only dream though!

My biggest issue is boredom - I'm bored of watching the same old, same old, every week and need a bit of excitement from watching my team. At the end of the day, from a fans point of view, it's about entertainment - well from my point anyhow! When now do we have 5 tens minutes of pressure, corners, etc , were we think we're going to score any minute, were the Sandy lane is buzzing and almost sucking the ball into the net?! It doesn't happen anymore

The ground is the quietest i've ever know it. Even in the Barrow days we made more noise and when we went forward there was some anticipation that the ball might end up in the box at the very least!

I know for a fact that last year KH was offered some money to spend by the Chairman, he said he didn't want any! Time KH showed some ambition of his own. What's the worst that could happen - the directors aren't silly, they won't give him more than the club can afford! Listen to KH's interview on BBC after the Bury game - he says we're set up financially (because of KH himself!) for the next 10 years. Who wants to see 10 years of drivel?? Let's at least see 2 or 3 years of something exciting within those 10 and then at least if there's shit times we can reminisce about the good!!! Better to have loved and lost as they say
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 17:12 - Dec 10 with 2110 viewsPDIDDY

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 16:22 - Dec 10 by aleanddale

He is the main man Colin Bell would walk into your starting X1.

He is not a 9 though he is most effective coming in from the left hand side.

False 9 do they call it now... load of bollox give me a Grant Holt type any day of the week.

Wouldn't know if he could walk into our team, who would he replace?

Gissa job

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 17:23 - Dec 10 with 2082 viewsmidlandsdale

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 15:49 - Dec 10 by sandylaner1

l e w i s a l e s s a n d r a
[Post edited 10 Dec 2015 15:49]

Agreed! Said everything about Hill on Sunday when he brings on Rose ahead of Lewis in a game we were losing in a live cup game against our local rivals.
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 17:30 - Dec 10 with 2065 viewsMancDale

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 17:23 - Dec 10 by midlandsdale

Agreed! Said everything about Hill on Sunday when he brings on Rose ahead of Lewis in a game we were losing in a live cup game against our local rivals.

Rose came on because he's the only player in our squad who can actually cross a ball. He's also the only one that played a decent pass forward in all of the second half. Some people love to criticise him and he's far from perfect but at least he does try to create and doesn't hide like others.

That said alessandra should've come on too. He's barely been given a chance but I think it's obvious they Hill doesn't rate him so might as well get rid. Just a waste of a wage really.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2015 17:31]
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 18:07 - Dec 10 with 1994 viewselectricblue

With regards to spending some of the money the club have made over the past few seasons you will find it as been ear marked for buying the ground and to cover any legal costs along the way...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 18:11 - Dec 10 with 1986 viewsrochdaleriddler

no point in having money in the bank, if everyone is bored shitless for the want of a little investment, which will spark everyones interest again. If the players we are getting in don't play, that means KH has made a mistake in signing them. we seem to have a few of those ATM. I'm not that pessimistic, but I am bored

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 18:25 - Dec 10 with 1952 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 15:21 - Dec 10 by NDGN82

He's certainly not excluded from goalscoring responsibilities but realistically he's never going to score a hat full of goals and KH knows this, in which case, if we're going to play him then we need to play someone with him! It's very rare you get a target man that can score goals aswell as win in the air and hold the ball up. Grant Holt is a bit of an exception to the rule and that's why he's played at a higher lever for the last 10 years.

Give me another Grant Holt any day (or even the real Grant Holt back on loan - he doesn't seem to be getting 5 mins from the bench on loan at Wolves)!!

I'm not having that re target men and goals. We're not expecting an Ageuro ratio. He is good in the air and has shown, albeit not often enough, that he can convert crosses with his head. However, far too often his positional sense and timing means he very rarely gets the opportunity. The amount of time he watches crosses coming in from 10 yards out is ridiculous. He is powerful but you never see him bustle his way into the box. There is some pace there but you never see him leave a centre half for dead and despatch a shot at goal.
To play in that area of the pitch and to have what is essentially a 1 in 20 game goal ratio shows that he has diabolical deficiencies in his game. To say he is one dimensional is an understatement. In addition, both Allen and Hendo suffer from our propensity to go long when he plays.
He's a fookin centre half and to even suggest we should construct a forward line around him is stark raving mad.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Login to get fewer ads

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 18:53 - Dec 10 with 1891 viewsNDGN82

Calm down Big Dave!! We all know Calvin is not the answer but neither is KH sticking him up front on his tod and having players lumping balls up to him!

Agree 100% that his positional sense for a striker is shocking. If you read the original post it was all about us needing a new striker and spending some dough maybe. Just think Andrew is given some unwarranted stick - at the end of the day KH keeps picking him so the buck stops with him.

Best case scenario, we buy a decent striker!
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 19:26 - Dec 10 with 1852 viewsnordenblue

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 16:01 - Dec 10 by PDIDDY

Revenge

Do you know how much Dawson is currently earning?
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 19:28 - Dec 10 with 1848 viewsPDIDDY

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 19:26 - Dec 10 by nordenblue

Do you know how much Dawson is currently earning?

Sarcasm by any chance? I don't but I got the info from someone close to his family and from his seedfield junior days

Gissa job

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 19:44 - Dec 10 with 1816 viewsnordenblue

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 19:28 - Dec 10 by PDIDDY

Sarcasm by any chance? I don't but I got the info from someone close to his family and from his seedfield junior days

No sarcasm at all Didds,i know what hes earnt while hes been at WBA and the jump from his current wage to that seems excessive in the extreme, even more so considering he only signed a new deal last year on improved terms.
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 19:49 - Dec 10 with 1791 viewsPDIDDY

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 19:44 - Dec 10 by nordenblue

No sarcasm at all Didds,i know what hes earnt while hes been at WBA and the jump from his current wage to that seems excessive in the extreme, even more so considering he only signed a new deal last year on improved terms.

Just saying what I was told, money is crazy in prem so wouldn't know the going rate for the likes of Dawson . He's a great lad by all accounts. When we signed nathen cameron, Dawson told my mate he's a goodun, he was awful until flicker got here, now he's probably the best centre half I've seen at gigg bar none

Gissa job

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 19:49 - Dec 10 with 1791 viewsTVOS1907

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 17:05 - Dec 10 by NDGN82

My biggest issue is boredom - I'm bored of watching the same old, same old, every week and need a bit of excitement from watching my team. At the end of the day, from a fans point of view, it's about entertainment - well from my point anyhow! When now do we have 5 tens minutes of pressure, corners, etc , were we think we're going to score any minute, were the Sandy lane is buzzing and almost sucking the ball into the net?! It doesn't happen anymore

The ground is the quietest i've ever know it. Even in the Barrow days we made more noise and when we went forward there was some anticipation that the ball might end up in the box at the very least!

I know for a fact that last year KH was offered some money to spend by the Chairman, he said he didn't want any! Time KH showed some ambition of his own. What's the worst that could happen - the directors aren't silly, they won't give him more than the club can afford! Listen to KH's interview on BBC after the Bury game - he says we're set up financially (because of KH himself!) for the next 10 years. Who wants to see 10 years of drivel?? Let's at least see 2 or 3 years of something exciting within those 10 and then at least if there's shit times we can reminisce about the good!!! Better to have loved and lost as they say

How do you know 'for a fact' that Hill was offered money to spend by the Chairman?

Surely this info should remain in-house?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 20:08 - Dec 10 with 1734 viewsNDGN82

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 19:49 - Dec 10 by TVOS1907

How do you know 'for a fact' that Hill was offered money to spend by the Chairman?

Surely this info should remain in-house?

Contacts!!

Just thought it should be known that it's not the board restricting our transfer activity or lack of it!
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 20:15 - Dec 10 with 1584 viewsdingdangblue

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 17:05 - Dec 10 by NDGN82

Did you miss the last home league game?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 20:24 - Dec 10 with 1558 viewsTVOS1907

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 20:08 - Dec 10 by NDGN82

Contacts!!

Just thought it should be known that it's not the board restricting our transfer activity or lack of it!

Why? Have you a vested interest?

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 20:32 - Dec 10 with 1524 viewsNDGN82

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 20:24 - Dec 10 by TVOS1907

Why? Have you a vested interest?

Not at all. Just pointing out that there is money to spend but our manager doesn't want to.

If it's because of buying the stadium as mentioned earlier then that's fair enough. Would just like us to dip into the transfer market every once in a while - especially now (January) as things seem a little stale
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 20:52 - Dec 10 with 1478 viewsTVOS1907

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 20:32 - Dec 10 by NDGN82

Not at all. Just pointing out that there is money to spend but our manager doesn't want to.

If it's because of buying the stadium as mentioned earlier then that's fair enough. Would just like us to dip into the transfer market every once in a while - especially now (January) as things seem a little stale

Yet we've given extended contracts (with the associated wages) to the likes of Henderson, Camps, Vincenti, in recent months.

It's my experience that contacts usually tell you what they want you to hear.

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 21:01 - Dec 10 with 1458 viewsNDGN82

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 20:52 - Dec 10 by TVOS1907

Yet we've given extended contracts (with the associated wages) to the likes of Henderson, Camps, Vincenti, in recent months.

It's my experience that contacts usually tell you what they want you to hear.

Fair point!
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 21:01 - Dec 10 with 1457 viewsdalestats

Sometimes bringing in new players affects the team too, last year when you say KH was offered money we were challenging for the play offs and playing well. Why change a winning team?

As for now O’Sullivan, Perreria have been brought in along with the new contracts.

I for one expect this to be a reasonably busy January will trying to shift some players out and bring some in

Poll: Remain in the eu

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 22:12 - Dec 10 with 1353 viewsnordenblue

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 21:01 - Dec 10 by dalestats

Sometimes bringing in new players affects the team too, last year when you say KH was offered money we were challenging for the play offs and playing well. Why change a winning team?

As for now O’Sullivan, Perreria have been brought in along with the new contracts.

I for one expect this to be a reasonably busy January will trying to shift some players out and bring some in

Its not changing a winning team its called strengthening,its what ambitious teams do rather than sell their better players
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 22:17 - Dec 10 with 1345 views49thseason

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 16:06 - Dec 10 by isitme

I think everyone would agree that we need a 'proper striker'. The problem is, so does pretty much most other clubs up and down the country. Proper strikers do not come cheap and would like to be paid accordingly.

Spending money on a player does not guarantee that they would be successful. After all Coleman made Donnelly his marquee signing and paid a fee for him.

So, although I agree with the sentiment, finding a proper striker is a hard thing to do for clubs like Rochdale.

With a number of players out of contract in the summer I suspect there will be a good few comings and goings.

The French lad looked shocking in the 20 minutes he played in the JPT. Not sure we will see much of him again.

"Spending money on a player does not guarantee that they would be successful. After all, Coleman made Donnelly his marquee signing and paid a fee for him."
And so did Tranmere!! Football managers eh? Do they ever actually watch players at work or do they just make decisions on who to buy from an agents video on youtube or summat?
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 22:21 - Dec 10 with 1340 views49thseason

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 14:37 - Dec 10 by PDIDDY

I thought you lot said Henderson was the main man when he extended? Btw craig Dawson was offered £27 k per week , 5 yr deal by WBA. Not sure if he's singing it though

Probably doesn't know the tune - too busy spending the money.
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 22:26 - Dec 10 with 1333 viewsNDGN82

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 21:01 - Dec 10 by dalestats

Who knows though - maybe we could have been in the playoffs though if we'd gone for it!

People sign new contracts every year. That's part and parcel of every season. I'm sure Stephen Dawson would have been one of the highest earners last year to be replaced by Henderson in monetary terms this year, and someone else the year before that.

Don't think it needs to be too busy in Jan having said all I've said. One in (a forward) and several out that aren't getting a game would do for me. Fingers crossed
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024