Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Virgin v Sky 14:10 - Jun 15 with 4064 viewsellersliehoop

Anyone here on Virgin kahuna sports & movies? What's it like compared to Sky?

Virgin have just offered me a £70 per month saving for 6 months, then £30 for another 6 after that

All comments appreciated
Virgin v Sky on 14:31 - Jun 15 with 4046 viewsWokingR

I've had this package for several years now.
It's expensive but very good. Don't know how it compares with Sky as I've never used them. The internet speed is the fastest you can get anywhere. It does drop out occasionally but this is only for a moment and only once in the last 3 years have we ever been left without wifi. Never had a problem with either the phone or the tv service.
Virgin v Sky on 14:35 - Jun 15 with 4043 viewsellersliehoop

Thanks

At a saving of £70 per month it's pretty hard to turn down even though I've had Sky for years

I assume there is an equivalent of Sky Go?
Virgin v Sky on 14:57 - Jun 15 with 4023 viewsJuzzie

I have Virgin and on the whole OK. Box can be a bit slow to navigate around the menus when first turned on but OK after that. We lose broadband about two or three times each year for a day or so but that's about it.

Faster broadband (fibre optics) than Sky (crappy copper telephone wire.... so last millenium) and a bloody great dish on the front of the house, no thanks. Pulled it down the day Virgin cable was installed.

Recently cancelled my Sky Sports package (still get BT Sport though) as I'm happy to watch Match Of The Day, cup games on terrestial TV and MotoGP reruns, and the bill will drop from around £120 a month (inc. phone) to around £60..... oh, and they've just increased the broadband speed too.

That's how fking expensive Sky Sports are and how a bunch of donkey's can earn £40k a week.

[Post edited 15 Jun 2016 14:58]
Virgin v Sky on 15:30 - Jun 15 with 3975 viewsellersliehoop

so all in all it's a yes?
Virgin v Sky on 15:32 - Jun 15 with 3971 viewsjonno

Virgin v Sky on 14:57 - Jun 15 by Juzzie

I have Virgin and on the whole OK. Box can be a bit slow to navigate around the menus when first turned on but OK after that. We lose broadband about two or three times each year for a day or so but that's about it.

Faster broadband (fibre optics) than Sky (crappy copper telephone wire.... so last millenium) and a bloody great dish on the front of the house, no thanks. Pulled it down the day Virgin cable was installed.

Recently cancelled my Sky Sports package (still get BT Sport though) as I'm happy to watch Match Of The Day, cup games on terrestial TV and MotoGP reruns, and the bill will drop from around £120 a month (inc. phone) to around £60..... oh, and they've just increased the broadband speed too.

That's how fking expensive Sky Sports are and how a bunch of donkey's can earn £40k a week.

[Post edited 15 Jun 2016 14:58]

Got the top Virgin bundle thing and totally agree with all that. However, you still don't get Sky Atlantic. Broadband is good, reliable and very fast. However, am migrating to Cyprus next week where I get every channel - including Sky Atlantic - for 25 sovs a month.
Virgin v Sky on 15:42 - Jun 15 with 3948 viewsellersliehoop

Helpful

Is there catchup/on -demand?
Virgin v Sky on 15:54 - Jun 15 with 3926 viewsjonno

Virgin v Sky on 15:42 - Jun 15 by ellersliehoop

Helpful

Is there catchup/on -demand?

Yes, all the catch ups are available on the TiVo box, iPlayer, ITV Hub etc.
Virgin v Sky on 16:12 - Jun 15 with 3902 viewsellersliehoop

Virgin v Sky on 15:54 - Jun 15 by jonno

Yes, all the catch ups are available on the TiVo box, iPlayer, ITV Hub etc.

Sky are toast
Login to get fewer ads

Virgin v Sky on 22:47 - Jun 15 with 3757 viewsMonkey_Roots

I fvckin hate sky.
Virgin v Sky on 22:56 - Jun 15 with 3750 viewsQPR_Jim

Virgin v Sky on 14:35 - Jun 15 by ellersliehoop

Thanks

At a saving of £70 per month it's pretty hard to turn down even though I've had Sky for years

I assume there is an equivalent of Sky Go?

I have Virgin and when comparing with mates on sky I would say the apps virgin offer aren't as good. Virgin tv anywhere for example only works on WiFi which doesn't help me unless I'm at home and within reach of my two TiVo boxes anyway. My mateon, the other hand, was to be able to stream a match we were at which was live on sky on to his phone using 4g.
Virgin v Sky on 23:15 - Jun 15 with 3734 viewsSimonJames

I have Virgin Big Kahuna + 1000 extra minutes per month that I can use to call any phone in almost any country in the world.

I also have seriously fast Internet speed:

100% of people who drink water will die.

Virgin v Sky on 08:09 - Jun 16 with 3677 viewsStraightR

Another vote for the Virgin Kahuna package. I've included Sky Movies, but taken off Sky Sports. As has been said, the internet speed is the fastest you can get in the UK, which is why I signed up to Virgin in the first place (the TV package came later). It's reliable too. I occasionally lose connectivity but that's solved by simply rebooting the router.

The Tivo box seems reliable, if occasionally a bit sluggish. That too needs a reboot from time to time. I've had the hard disk crash on one box - swapped out by Virgin within a day or so. You only lease the hardware from Virgin so if it fails they replace it at their expense. I believe this is different from the Sky arrangement, whereby I think you own the equipment.
Virgin v Sky on 08:23 - Jun 16 with 3668 viewslondonscottish

I'm not a big TV watcher but like fast broadband and for that Virgin wins hands down.

Unlike Sky they don't make you pay for kit and usually replace anything iffy for free immediately. Over the years I had a couple of routers with problems (both replaced FOC), a set top box that failed when lightning hit the house (replaced next day FOC) and when the kids broke a remote they immediately sent out a replacement, no questions asked.

As far as TV films and on demand stuff Virgin seems to have all the same sort of stuff as Sky. More importantly for me the BBC channels appear where they should be, at the top of the EPG. I hate having to scroll through pages and pages and pages of rubbish Sky channels just to find what I want to watch.

I can't get Virgin at my next place, don't like Sky so I'm just going to get Freesat HD and plug in a Chromecast. That way, when I want to to watch the next time Rangers lose a televised game I can just get a day pass for that on Now TV.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Virgin v Sky on 19:37 - Jun 18 with 3513 viewsDiscodroids

Changing from Sky to Virgin Monday. Mrs disco handles these matters as im a ludite but we've got something called the big khauna with sports and movies even though i will never ever watch them. I only ever seem to end up watching Nazi megastructures on the history chanel with a luke warm lager in my hand.

No HD on movies and sports unless you pay an extra £7 a month ,which i thought was a bit sharp. Will miss sky atlantic but get bt sports .

.Someone said i can get something called 'now tv' on a pay as you go basis for when Viynl comes back on for another series on sky atlantic, but he might as well of been talking about the finer details of FGM for all i understood.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Virgin v Sky on 13:47 - Jun 19 with 3396 viewslondonscottish

Virgin v Sky on 19:37 - Jun 18 by Discodroids

Changing from Sky to Virgin Monday. Mrs disco handles these matters as im a ludite but we've got something called the big khauna with sports and movies even though i will never ever watch them. I only ever seem to end up watching Nazi megastructures on the history chanel with a luke warm lager in my hand.

No HD on movies and sports unless you pay an extra £7 a month ,which i thought was a bit sharp. Will miss sky atlantic but get bt sports .

.Someone said i can get something called 'now tv' on a pay as you go basis for when Viynl comes back on for another series on sky atlantic, but he might as well of been talking about the finer details of FGM for all i understood.

Yeah Now TV is a sort of pay per view service for Sky channels. I buy the odd day pass when I want to watch a Rangers game on the TV.

I have a little Now TV box which I can plug into the TV. I can also get it through my Chromecast (Chromecast is a dongle that lets you stream video to a TV).

Anyway, no pause/rewind/record buy a cheap way of occasionally dipping in and out of Sky.

Virgin v Sky on 14:31 - Jun 19 with 3374 viewsflynnbo

Virgin v Sky on 19:37 - Jun 18 by Discodroids

Disco, we changed on 31st May so have all with Virginmedia now. Price is roughly £25 pcm better off (have multi-room and HD) and get BT sports as well as Sky Sports. Wasn't expecting the movies but they're there if I have the time. Slightly slower than Sky but I can cope with that.
Virgin v Sky on 08:24 - Jun 20 with 3274 viewsDiscodroids

Virgin v Sky on 14:31 - Jun 19 by flynnbo

Disco, we changed on 31st May so have all with Virginmedia now. Price is roughly £25 pcm better off (have multi-room and HD) and get BT sports as well as Sky Sports. Wasn't expecting the movies but they're there if I have the time. Slightly slower than Sky but I can cope with that.

Cheers for the heads up Flynnbo, As i say i dont have HD on sports or movies on my virgin package..Is the standard regular picture quality on Virgin better than Skys non hd picture quality ?. .

[Post edited 20 Jun 2016 8:28]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Virgin v Sky on 08:26 - Jun 20 with 3271 viewsDiscodroids

Virgin v Sky on 13:47 - Jun 19 by londonscottish

Yeah Now TV is a sort of pay per view service for Sky channels. I buy the odd day pass when I want to watch a Rangers game on the TV.

I have a little Now TV box which I can plug into the TV. I can also get it through my Chromecast (Chromecast is a dongle that lets you stream video to a TV).

Anyway, no pause/rewind/record buy a cheap way of occasionally dipping in and out of Sky.

Thanks mate, looks like a plan if/when 'True detective ' comes back for a 3rd series.

Virgin v Sky on 09:31 - Jun 20 with 3240 viewslondonscottish

Virgin v Sky on 08:26 - Jun 20 by Discodroids

Thanks mate, looks like a plan if/when 'True detective ' comes back for a 3rd series.

If you do go down that route get the Chromecast.

As well as letting you stream Now TV content to your TV from your laptop, phone or tablet you stream 1000 other things - Youtube, your photos, etc etc

It's Google's version of Airplay but cost peanuts (normally £25 or £30 but occasionally promoted at £15)

When I lose Virgin the kids will lose the Cartoon Network so I had a look to see if I can get The Regular Show online and found it immediately. Free TV.

Not the are two versions; the original Chromecast which is intended primarily for video and the newer Chromecast Audio . The kids tend to use it the video one. I tend to use the audio version plugged into the back of my amp so I can stream Spotify from my phone to that system. It has the advantage of having an optical out for maximum Frankie bangage.

Great little gizmos.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024