Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Steely Dan. How good were they? 19:01 - Jul 17 with 6455 viewsmarkrtid

I know its not Friday but I have been listening to the new Michael Kiwanuka LP which I think along with Steve Mason should at least be nominated for a Mercury prize this year.
I ventured off to Al Green for a while and then landed on Steely Dan and i'm reminded of long hot summers as a kid and when Radio 1 actually mattered and getting sunburnt in the garden.
I think I might be havin a turn.
Peace.

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 19:07 - Jul 17 with 4569 viewsDiscodroids

the stuff he done with china crisis was mesmeric as well.

magic .

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 19:13 - Jul 17 with 4550 viewsmarkrtid

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 19:07 - Jul 17 by Discodroids

magic .

I was well in to China Crisis.
Weird them being scousers.
I bought that lp from HMV Oxford street. tried to play it but the label had ventured off to the tracks making it unplayable. I even tried steaming it off.
Steely Dan. How good were they? on 19:13 - Jul 17 with 4547 viewsted_hendrix

Steely Dan laid the best guitar solo ever on the Worlds music loving people when they released "Reelin in the Years"
It's just fcking brilliant.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 19:32 - Jul 17 with 4517 viewsDiscodroids

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 19:13 - Jul 17 by markrtid

I was well in to China Crisis.
Weird them being scousers.
I bought that lp from HMV Oxford street. tried to play it but the label had ventured off to the tracks making it unplayable. I even tried steaming it off.

my favourite...

btw 'flaunt the imperfection' produced by walter becker is one of my all time classics

god bless steely dan.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2016 19:33]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 19:37 - Jul 17 with 4504 viewsHantsR

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 19:13 - Jul 17 by ted_hendrix

Steely Dan laid the best guitar solo ever on the Worlds music loving people when they released "Reelin in the Years"

This.

When working overseas I was asked by local radio to do my version of Desert Island Discs. This was my first choice and it was fantastic to hear the great riff full blast on a mate's car radio as he drove past my house.
Steely Dan. How good were they? on 19:41 - Jul 17 with 4488 viewsHarbour

Can't buy a thrill Pretzel Logic FM Reelin in the Years .....Donald Fagin.....Steeley Dan great band
Steely Dan. How good were they? on 19:51 - Jul 17 with 4472 viewsjohncharles

Walter Becker, he did a few more, Black Friday being one few of many
[Post edited 17 Jul 2016 19:52]

Strong and stable my arse.

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 20:16 - Jul 17 with 4440 viewsted_hendrix

One day I might start a thread "Wishbone Ash. How good were they"?

Feast yourself on Wishbone Ashe's 'Blowin Free' a guitar intro, middle and outro like nothing else.

Login to get fewer ads

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 20:40 - Jul 17 with 4419 viewsFearless

Hi Ted - hope life's good

Elliot Randall I believe - he played this with The Dan at Hammersmith a few years back
Steely Dan. How good were they? on 20:46 - Jul 17 with 4409 viewsRoller

This takes me back.

While I was still at school we used to go every week to the Fox and Firkin in Lewisham, I guess they would be regarded as a craft brewer these days. A guy called Frankie Flame played there every Thursday night and one of the songs he played, along with classics such as Lazy Sunday Afternoon and Nellie the Elephant, was "With a Gun". I bought Pretzel Logic on the basis of that. Happy days.
Steely Dan. How good were they? on 21:12 - Jul 17 with 4386 viewsmarkrtid

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 20:46 - Jul 17 by Roller

This takes me back.

While I was still at school we used to go every week to the Fox and Firkin in Lewisham, I guess they would be regarded as a craft brewer these days. A guy called Frankie Flame played there every Thursday night and one of the songs he played, along with classics such as Lazy Sunday Afternoon and Nellie the Elephant, was "With a Gun". I bought Pretzel Logic on the basis of that. Happy days.

Its a good thing that Frankie didnt play that feckin 'Hi ho silver lining ' song.

The amount of times i wasted a good 50p entrance to some 'Disco' to have some top notch DJ finsish with Hawkwind or that Jeff Beck song,

Cheeky Petes Richmond.
Oh Happy boners.
Steely Dan. How good were they? on 21:15 - Jul 17 with 4382 viewsted_hendrix

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 20:40 - Jul 17 by Fearless

Hi Ted - hope life's good

Elliot Randall I believe - he played this with The Dan at Hammersmith a few years back

Yea I'm good Ian ta, Yea I had to look it up-Elliot Randall, my memory's shot.

Thought Nearly Dan were bloody good at Mel's wedding night bash too.

Gotta get my backside back to the Rangers this coming season.

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 21:27 - Jul 17 with 4353 viewsCamberleyR

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 19:07 - Jul 17 by Discodroids

magic .

Love "The Nightfly", it's a brilliant album. One of my favourites and never get tired of listening to it.

Steely Dan's "Aja" is great as well. No less than Ian Dury says of it:

"Well, Aja's got a sound that lifts your heart up.. and it's the most consistent up-full, heart-warming.. even though, it is a classic LA kinda sound. You wouldn't think it was recorded anywhere else in the world. It's got California through its blood, even though they are boys from New York.. It's a record that sends my spirits up, and really when I listen to music, really that's what I want."

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 21:31 - Jul 17 with 4339 viewsDiscodroids

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 21:27 - Jul 17 by CamberleyR

Love "The Nightfly", it's a brilliant album. One of my favourites and never get tired of listening to it.

Steely Dan's "Aja" is great as well. No less than Ian Dury says of it:

"Well, Aja's got a sound that lifts your heart up.. and it's the most consistent up-full, heart-warming.. even though, it is a classic LA kinda sound. You wouldn't think it was recorded anywhere else in the world. It's got California through its blood, even though they are boys from New York.. It's a record that sends my spirits up, and really when I listen to music, really that's what I want."

what a beautiful post. Thank you camberley.

i shared every moment of that. 'Aja' tears your heart out and sling shots it around the kuiper belt ..

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 21:34 - Jul 17 with 4333 viewsjohnhoop

I love "Reelin in the Years,"but my absolute favourite guitar solo on that album is the one on "Midnight Cruiser". Quite possibly my favourite of all time.
Steely Dan. How good were they? on 21:45 - Jul 17 with 4307 viewsRoller

Not really his style, but he did feature on the "collectors classic" album, The Beerdrop Explodes - as did I on the cover outside the aforementioned Fox and Ferkin. I wonder if any of the few on here who know me can spot me over 30 years ago.

[Post edited 17 Jul 2016 21:47]
Steely Dan. How good were they? on 22:07 - Jul 17 with 4282 viewsmarkrtid

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 21:45 - Jul 17 by Roller

Not really his style, but he did feature on the "collectors classic" album, The Beerdrop Explodes - as did I on the cover outside the aforementioned Fox and Ferkin. I wonder if any of the few on here who know me can spot me over 30 years ago.

[Post edited 17 Jul 2016 21:47]

You are the one, 5th or 6th from the left at the back going Yay! With either a wristband or a digital watch.
I can spot a Ranger anywhere. Whats my prize?
Steely Dan. How good were they? on 22:22 - Jul 17 with 4262 viewsOldOakHoop

Kid Charlemagne, bloody love that guitar solo - Larry Carlton I believe...
Steely Dan. How good were they? on 22:30 - Jul 17 with 4249 viewsRoller

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 22:07 - Jul 17 by markrtid

You are the one, 5th or 6th from the left at the back going Yay! With either a wristband or a digital watch.
I can spot a Ranger anywhere. Whats my prize?

F@ck me that's scary. If you are not Markqpr then I'm concerned.

Your prize: I'll buy you a pint at the Defector's Weld before any Saturday 3:00 kick off, if you can find the 30 years on version!
Steely Dan. How good were they? on 22:36 - Jul 17 with 4240 viewsmarkrtid

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 22:30 - Jul 17 by Roller

F@ck me that's scary. If you are not Markqpr then I'm concerned.

Your prize: I'll buy you a pint at the Defector's Weld before any Saturday 3:00 kick off, if you can find the 30 years on version!

Dad!!!
Steely Dan. How good were they? on 22:58 - Jul 17 with 4209 viewsjohncharles

So many great songs and guitar solos.
How about Rikkie don't lose that number ?

Strong and stable my arse.

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 23:02 - Jul 17 with 4207 viewsRoller

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 22:36 - Jul 17 by markrtid

Dad!!!

Elder one is just back from Turkey; a few more years of my life ripped from me.

Back to Steely Dan, this is the song that Frankie did

And, thanks to the all encompassing nature of YouTube, a Frankie original - but make sure you are drunk before listening...... it doesn't work sober.

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 23:10 - Jul 17 with 4204 viewsmarkrtid

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 23:02 - Jul 17 by Roller

Elder one is just back from Turkey; a few more years of my life ripped from me.

Back to Steely Dan, this is the song that Frankie did

And, thanks to the all encompassing nature of YouTube, a Frankie original - but make sure you are drunk before listening...... it doesn't work sober.

Turkey is a really nice place to visit. I have had two great holidays there.
I hope it went well for your eldest.

Thank you Kickass Torrents! So much wonderful music to tap into.
Steely Dan. How good were they? on 01:12 - Jul 18 with 4158 viewsqprwpg

Steely Dan, they ain't half bad. I'm a big fan of theirs

Twitter: @qprwpg

Steely Dan. How good were they? on 03:17 - Jul 18 with 4143 viewsderbyhoop

I dug out my vinyl copy of Pretzel Logic to try out on my USB turntable before we packed things away for the move to France. I wasn't impressed. I must have liked it once, but that was 40 years ago.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024