Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Through thick and thin 17:39 - Jan 21 with 7387 viewsD_Alien

Today was thin, but the biggest disappointment to me was seeing fans deserting the team with 20-25 minutes still to play

Oxford took full advantage of a disjointed starting XI with players returning from long-term absence and clearly not fully match fit. They were let down by a midfield who were thoroughly outfought - I won't single out individuals for criticism. *

On the plus side, several players got match time under their belts. I felt sorry for Tanser, who did ok until his legs went, forcing Hendo into the fullback position late on; and Owusu, who can't have imagined making his debut in worse circumstances.

No criticism of Logan either, though a few idiots in the Pearl St were catcalling him. Why? He did well to keep rampant Oxford breakthroughs out until first the pitch let him down then an admittedly poor ball out which was no worse than many other balls played by those in front of him.

I thought McGahey had a good game. NML was rubbish today, when he should've been stepping up to the mark (*my one exception)

Oh, and the pitch. Those who expressed concern after the Hornets game last weekend were right - it's f*cked

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Through thick and thin on 17:47 - Jan 21 with 6278 views442Dale

The pitch didn't play well at all, looked far too dry. We've played on a worse looking pitch last season which played much better. However, maybe we made it look worse with our passing.

Have posted about Logan elsewhere. Would think the only criticisms he needs right now are the ones he'll be making himself. We definitely lost the game in midfield.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Through thick and thin on 17:47 - Jan 21 with 6277 viewsPaulHeymanGuy

If you're willing to single NML out for criticism then you should be attacking more players. He made some very good runs with the ball at times and tried to take the game to them, final ball or shot let him down.

How can you not criticise somebody who was at fault for 4 goals?
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 17:49]
Through thick and thin on 17:52 - Jan 21 with 6211 views442Dale

Through thick and thin on 17:47 - Jan 21 by PaulHeymanGuy

If you're willing to single NML out for criticism then you should be attacking more players. He made some very good runs with the ball at times and tried to take the game to them, final ball or shot let him down.

Not sure what he did wrong for the second, but the first was basic goalkeeping - really poor reactions and body shape.

Through thick and thin on 17:53 - Jan 21 with 6196 viewsD_Alien

Through thick and thin on 17:47 - Jan 21 by PaulHeymanGuy

Because he wasn't at fault for the 4 goals. I was at the other end of the pitch for the first - did it take a deflection past him? The only one that can be attributed to Logan is obviously the fourth

I mentioned NML because on a day when several players were returning to the side you need your more regular players to put in a shift. He simply didn't - either giving the ball away or making a run and then... nothing
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 17:55]

Through thick and thin on 17:54 - Jan 21 with 6179 viewsDaley_Lama

Well played Oxford, ripped us apart for most of the afty.

Poll: DF in or out

Through thick and thin on 17:56 - Jan 21 with 6149 views442Dale

Through thick and thin on 17:53 - Jan 21 by D_Alien

Because he wasn't at fault for the 4 goals. I was at the other end of the pitch for the first - did it take a deflection past him? The only one that can be attributed to Logan is obviously the fourth

I mentioned NML because on a day when several players were returning to the side you need your more regular players to put in a shift. He simply didn't - either giving the ball away or making a run and then... nothing

We were directly behind the shot/Logan: slight deflection but he should have stopped it. He was set-up wrong and his reactions weren't good enough either. He knew straight away.

Through thick and thin on 17:59 - Jan 21 with 6096 viewsD_Alien

Through thick and thin on 17:56 - Jan 21 by 442Dale

We were directly behind the shot/Logan: slight deflection but he should have stopped it. He was set-up wrong and his reactions weren't good enough either. He knew straight away.

Fair enough

Those type of errors are obviously costly, but his performance was therefore on a par with pretty much everyone in front of him

The exception was McGahey, who (although the award was rightly given to no. 55) might've been MoM for Dale

Through thick and thin on 18:00 - Jan 21 with 6093 viewsPaulHeymanGuy

Through thick and thin on 17:53 - Jan 21 by D_Alien

First goal, yes it took a deflection but it is still a bread and butter save for the keeper.

Second goal, for me, if you come for the ball where he did you have to win without doubt, it left them with a simple tap in.

Third goal, they should never have had that corner in the first place if it wasn't for his error the goal wouldn't have come about, looked like a soft finish from the sandy too.

4th goal just summed it up

NML has barely played lately for whatever reason, I'm sure even he had some rust to shake off
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 18:01]
Login to get fewer ads

Through thick and thin on 18:02 - Jan 21 with 6033 viewsD_Alien

Through thick and thin on 18:00 - Jan 21 by PaulHeymanGuy

First goal, yes it took a deflection but it is still a bread and butter save for the keeper.

Second goal, for me, if you come for the ball where he did you have to win without doubt, it left them with a simple tap in.

Third goal, they should never have had that corner in the first place if it wasn't for his error the goal wouldn't have come about, looked like a soft finish from the sandy too.

NML has barely played lately for whatever reason, I'm sure even he had some rust to shake off

1, 2 & 3 were the result of initially poor decisions/mistakes in front of him

If he's expected to be the player who makes up for errors by his team-mates that's a bloody tough call in my book

Through thick and thin on 18:04 - Jan 21 with 6007 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Through thick and thin on 17:54 - Jan 21 by Daley_Lama

Well played Oxford, ripped us apart for most of the afty.

Done the double on us, and don't forget were in League 2 last season........settled well.

Appleton's day today.
Through thick and thin on 18:04 - Jan 21 with 6006 views442Dale

Through thick and thin on 18:02 - Jan 21 by D_Alien

If he's expected to be the player who makes up for errors by his team-mates that's a bloody tough call in my book

Maybe so, and I don't necessarily agree he did much wrong for 2 without seeing it again, but if Lillis is fit he deserves another run in the side.

That's a big "if" of course.

Through thick and thin on 18:05 - Jan 21 with 5990 viewsJamest1994

Through thick and thin on 18:00 - Jan 21 by PaulHeymanGuy

The only defender deserving of MOTM today was rafferty - solid game. McGahey gifted oxford their 2nd goal with a dodgy header and tanser was all over the place all game, doubt we will see him in the team for a long time
Through thick and thin on 18:18 - Jan 21 with 5900 viewsTVOS1907

Through thick and thin on 18:04 - Jan 21 by 442Dale

Maybe so, and I don't necessarily agree he did much wrong for 2 without seeing it again, but if Lillis is fit he deserves another run in the side.

That's a big "if" of course.

Logan's error also led to Keane's red card last week.

Be interesting to see if the manager is consistent with his team selection in that position.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Through thick and thin on 18:20 - Jan 21 with 5885 viewsJimmyRustler

Logan was definitely at fault for at least 3. The second you can perhaps blame on other factors but positionally he was still all at sea. You can't attribute any blame to the backpass for the third goal. It wasn't coming at any real pace and there was no need to rush the kick like Logan did. Anyway, me and you must have watched a different Scott today Alien. I thought he was our worst player and justified why Hill seems to have been reluctant to use him more recently (Bunney's excellent form notwithstanding)
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 18:22]
Through thick and thin on 18:24 - Jan 21 with 5823 viewsD_Alien

Through thick and thin on 18:20 - Jan 21 by JimmyRustler

Logan was definitely at fault for at least 3. The second you can perhaps blame on other factors but positionally he was still all at sea. You can't attribute any blame to the backpass for the third goal. It wasn't coming at any real pace and there was no need to rush the kick like Logan did. Anyway, me and you must have watched a different Scott today Alien. I thought he was our worst player and justified why Hill seems to have been reluctant to use him more recently (Bunney's excellent form notwithstanding)
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 18:22]

No, JR, we watched the same game

I watched a young player who's been out ill, only trained this week and not played a run of matches for some time. He did as well as could be expected in the circumstances, with his team mates hardly helping him with their performances. Criticism is dead easy. I'll reserve it for those who've been fit to play and failed to make the most of their chance when it came along today

Through thick and thin on 18:27 - Jan 21 with 5794 viewsJimmyRustler

Through thick and thin on 18:24 - Jan 21 by D_Alien

No, JR, we watched the same game

I watched a young player who's been out ill, only trained this week and not played a run of matches for some time. He did as well as could be expected in the circumstances, with his team mates hardly helping him with their performances. Criticism is dead easy. I'll reserve it for those who've been fit to play and failed to make the most of their chance when it came along today

I don't care if he's fought back from a case of extreme piles, he was still dreadful. I call it as I see it, he was bob.
Through thick and thin on 18:35 - Jan 21 with 5720 viewsD_Alien

Through thick and thin on 18:27 - Jan 21 by JimmyRustler

I don't care if he's fought back from a case of extreme piles, he was still dreadful. I call it as I see it, he was bob.

You don't think that, for instance, Camps had a poor game when he should've been one of those to stand up and make himself count with several players returning from absence? It says everything that you can only single out a player who needs to be given some slack in the circumstances.

Through thick and thin on 18:48 - Jan 21 with 5645 viewssandy_dale

But tanser didn't do well at all? If hilly had put him in the team for 10 games and he played like that for all 10, you would be crying for him to be dropped
Through thick and thin on 18:55 - Jan 21 with 5583 viewsJimmyRustler

Through thick and thin on 18:35 - Jan 21 by D_Alien

You don't think that, for instance, Camps had a poor game when he should've been one of those to stand up and make himself count with several players returning from absence? It says everything that you can only single out a player who needs to be given some slack in the circumstances.

Everyone was poor but Tanser was much worse than poor. If he wasn't ready then the buck stops with the manager. He had an absolute mare and that's all there is to it.
Through thick and thin on 18:56 - Jan 21 with 5568 viewsD_Alien

Through thick and thin on 18:48 - Jan 21 by sandy_dale

But tanser didn't do well at all? If hilly had put him in the team for 10 games and he played like that for all 10, you would be crying for him to be dropped

Depends what you mean by "do well"?

The Oxford forward line were rampant with breaks from midfield and wide open spaces that Tanser can hardly be faulted with, plus very little protection from either NML or Hendo - until Hendo was brought back in the last 10 minutes with Tanser out on his feet and no subs left

The few opportunities he had going forward, he did ok with. None of the goals can be attributed to him. So whilst he hardly made a name for himself, imo he absolutely did as well as could be expected for his first full 90 minutes in L1 for quite some time

He certainly did enough to suggest that if fully match fit and given a couple more games under his belt, he'd be adequate cover whilst Joe Bunney is out
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 18:58]

Through thick and thin on 18:57 - Jan 21 with 5547 viewsChaffRAFC

Bad performance, bad result, bad day at the office. Get it out of the system and move on to the next one. A squad struggling with injuries, including 2 that only occurred yesterday by all accounts, combined with players who haven't played for a while was always gonna be a tough ask to come away with three points. Then you get three awful mistakes from Logan and a performance that saw us outclassed in every department. They were bigger than us, quicker than us and a lot stronger than us. Ryan Taylor was tremendous for them, brilliant forward display. Pitch didn't help either. We started the second half really well and could easily have been back in the game with Henderson missing two glorious chances and then against the run of play it became 3-0 and the game was well and truly gone.

No point dwelling, onto the next one.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Through thick and thin on 19:01 - Jan 21 with 5502 viewsD_Alien

Through thick and thin on 18:55 - Jan 21 by JimmyRustler

Everyone was poor but Tanser was much worse than poor. If he wasn't ready then the buck stops with the manager. He had an absolute mare and that's all there is to it.

With the injuries we're just hearing about, it's probable that Tanser's return to action was hurried. i was surprised to see him on the teamsheet, but we're beginning to understand why and in those circumstances a lot of the criticism is absolutely uncalled for

Give the lad some slack - he was no worse than several other more experienced players on the day - far from it

Through thick and thin on 19:04 - Jan 21 with 5471 views442Dale

Through thick and thin on 18:57 - Jan 21 by ChaffRAFC

Bad performance, bad result, bad day at the office. Get it out of the system and move on to the next one. A squad struggling with injuries, including 2 that only occurred yesterday by all accounts, combined with players who haven't played for a while was always gonna be a tough ask to come away with three points. Then you get three awful mistakes from Logan and a performance that saw us outclassed in every department. They were bigger than us, quicker than us and a lot stronger than us. Ryan Taylor was tremendous for them, brilliant forward display. Pitch didn't help either. We started the second half really well and could easily have been back in the game with Henderson missing two glorious chances and then against the run of play it became 3-0 and the game was well and truly gone.

No point dwelling, onto the next one.

Sums it up well. Always thought Ryan Taylor would do more in the game than he has so far. He possesses real quality.

Through thick and thin on 19:05 - Jan 21 with 5454 viewsPaulHeymanGuy

Through thick and thin on 18:02 - Jan 21 by D_Alien

Pretty sure that a keeper is paid to keep the ball out of the net regardless of where and how the shot comes at him. Result of a mistake or not the keeper should not be conceding goals like he did today.

If you mess up at work when it's your responsibility, do you blame somebody else in your department etc because they made an error before you did?
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 19:21]
Through thick and thin on 19:40 - Jan 21 with 5252 viewsfrenzied

After todays demise I'm not expecting Giggler type collapse..next week almost becomes a free hit..with all the injury probs we have with key personnel a defeat seems imminent.

However as always in Hilly I trust
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024