Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best midfield 4 ? 15:25 - Mar 5 with 3837 viewsBromleyHoop

After Goss' inclusion and Ngbakoto starting to find form I wonder what everyone's midfield 4 would be playing at home if everyone is fit and raring to go? We're certainly not short of options now with Freeman and LuaLua coming in as well. At the moment for me it's -

Ngbakoto on the left - His preferred position and where he played for Metz. Also gets picked coz of his threat from set pieces.

Manning - His selection has coincided with a dramatic upturn in form for the team.

Luongo - I'd rather see Hall playing next to Lynch and long term I'd like to see Goss make this position his own as long as he shows he can do what's necessary in the Championship. Luongo almost gets this place by default for the time being.

Wzsolek - Grafter, creative, good crosser.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Best midfield 4 ? on 15:51 - Mar 5 with 3789 viewsDorse

Ahem...

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Best midfield 4 ? on 16:10 - Mar 5 with 3735 viewsLblock

Luongo wouldn't even make the bench for me.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Best midfield 4 ? on 16:11 - Mar 5 with 3737 viewsdixiedean

With all the midfielders we have Luongo is way down the pecking order IMO. Yesterday was his chance to stake a claim with Manning & Freeman not playing but he didn't take it . In fact he showed up exactly what they provide and he lacks such as dynamism and tempo. Those 2 buzz around and tend to move the ball quickly . Goss plays a very different game and not sure how he'd fit with those2. Nice to have some good options though. I'll be amazed if at least 1 of Manning or Freeman doesn't start on Tuesday.
Best midfield 4 ? on 16:41 - Mar 5 with 3676 viewsBromleyHoop

Best midfield 4 ? on 15:51 - Mar 5 by Dorse

Ahem...

What was I thinking 😳

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Best midfield 4 ? on 19:52 - Mar 5 with 3400 viewsjohncharles

Best midfield 4 ? on 16:41 - Mar 5 by BromleyHoop

What was I thinking 😳

We have no one who can play in midfield like Henry

Thank God

Strong and stable my arse.

Best midfield 4 ? on 20:46 - Mar 5 with 3328 viewsLongsufferingR

Best 4 probably varies according to the opposition tbh. Freeman also has to come into the reckoning on current form and tough to choose between Lua Lua and Ngbakoto.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2017 20:47]
Best midfield 4 ? on 17:06 - Mar 6 with 3096 viewsfreddieeddie

Best midfield 4 ? on 16:10 - Mar 5 by Lblock

Luongo wouldn't even make the bench for me.

I was shot down in flames when IH took over and I said we should out Chery and Luongo. Both are so overrated. Luongo is just so lightweight. He wouldn't be in my eleven and lucky to be on the bench.

Things looking excellent under IH.

Poll: QPR future, what would you like to see happen

Best midfield 4 ? on 21:11 - Mar 6 with 2926 viewsdavman

Best midfield 4 ? on 17:06 - Mar 6 by freddieeddie

I was shot down in flames when IH took over and I said we should out Chery and Luongo. Both are so overrated. Luongo is just so lightweight. He wouldn't be in my eleven and lucky to be on the bench.

Things looking excellent under IH.

I was with you on that one.

The puzzling thing is that Manning and Freeman aren't exactly huge compared to Luongo and Chery, but they, well, put themselves about a bit more...

Got a lot of midfielders now, haven't we...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Login to get fewer ads

Best midfield 4 ? on 22:35 - Mar 6 with 2874 viewsWadR

I've said this before in response to Luongo-bashing but the suggestions that he is light-weight or doesn't put himself about is provably nonsense. He has the second most tackles in the whole division.

On current form, Manning and Freeman have earned their position as the starting central midfielders but Holloway is right to use these last couple of months of the season to rotate and try out several different combinations and I really disagree with those who dismiss Luongo as a league 1 player, not good enough for our match day squad.

He was our best outfield player in the first couple of months of the season IMO, played excellently against Leeds, Fulham, Bristol City especially. He had a dip, likely linked to international travel, and was very poor against Burton, and was outmuscled/outclassed against Huddersfield (both performances can partially be put down to poor tactics leaving huge gaps in midfield imo) but he also played really well in recent-ish games like Reading away, Newcastle away, Fulham at home where he was exemplary on how to press effectively. In some of Manning's early games, it was noticeable that Mass was talking him through it a bit - letting him know where he should be, who he should be picking up and the two dovetailed nicely as a midfield duo.

He's undoubtedly too ponderous sometimes on the ball, isn't nearly enough of an attacking threat and his penetrative passing isn't as good as, say, Manning, Freeman or Goss' but he more than makes that up in other facets of his game. His tackling, as already mentioned, is despite what some say - really good. He's such a clever player too, he's got excellent spacial awareness - so is very good in tight spaces. Look at the way he plays when he receives the ball on the half turn or with his back to goal, he created a couple of openings on the weekend with deft drops of the shoulder which others wouldn't have seen/been able to.

I'm no NeilSI, I can't offer his close analysis and insight, but there was one moment on Saturday that I felt was demonstrative of Luongo's talents and worth to the side. We had a free kick on half way - closer to Ellerslie than SA, which Onuoha decided to play short to Mass even though he was under pressure from a Cardiff player and with his back to goal, facing away from the centre of the pitch. Even with a slightly bobbling pass from Ned, Luongo took one touch to both control and reposition himself so that he was goal side of the Cardiff player, and then with his second or third touch played a ball down the right for Mackie who didn't quite have the pace to reach it. It was smart, composed play - perhaps not THAT worth of note - but in a scrappy Championship game, to me it stood out.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2017 22:46]
Best midfield 4 ? on 09:06 - Mar 7 with 2745 viewssimmo

Best midfield 4 ? on 21:11 - Mar 6 by davman

I was with you on that one.

The puzzling thing is that Manning and Freeman aren't exactly huge compared to Luongo and Chery, but they, well, put themselves about a bit more...

Got a lot of midfielders now, haven't we...

There's a lot of selective viewing when it comes to Luongo, we should put this lightweight thing to bed for starters because he's not particularly - tom carroll, he was lightweight. Luongo until recently was (and might still be) top of the tackles by some way. He also absolutely nailed Connolly just this weekend by 'putting himself about', so there's no bother there. His nice forward pass after moving into space and body feinting to receive the ball led to the equalizer too, so he contributed to play well. He's got a bit of a languid style which never goes too well at QPR (or most English teams, unless they're scoring or assisting plenty), but that doesn't make hm useless or lightweight.

Overall though, I am also coming to the conclusion that with limited end product over the course of the last 18 months or so, players like Freeman and Manning have surpassed him for the starting 11, but he's still a very handy player and is more than capable amongst the current group we have. Him, Freeman, Cousins and Manning should be the 4 to choose for CM.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Best midfield 4 ? on 09:34 - Mar 7 with 2705 viewsstevec

An incident just after half time summed up Luongo.

Somehow found himself out on the left wing with only Connolly (I think) for company. Had one of those balls played in to him that, to be fair, could make a mug of any player. Around head height, between him and defender and most likely to drift out for a goal kick (it did).

But I've seen players chase down much bigger lost causes and keep in play, but he hesitated (as always) and when the ball pitched up gentler than you'd expect it was too late to chase it down. There had also been the option of throwing himself at the header initially but busting a gut is not his forte.

He's a painting by numbers footballer, sadly an ever growing trend in midfielders, not enough artists, no vision, no grit.

That said, Olly has unearthed something of the artist in Freeman and the grit in Manning. Like those two. Fill out the wide spaces depending on opponents and we may have a plan.
Best midfield 4 ? on 11:24 - Mar 7 with 2646 viewsDorse

I think we'll probably see Manning and Freeman with Hall anchoring tonight - no bad thing. I'd also like to see Furlong back in the side because I think he takes a lot of pressure off the midfield by closing down the wide spaces. Perch doesn't seem to do it as consistently. Bidwell is just Bidwell really - steady Eddie who just does his job unnoticed.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024