Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Attractive v Effective Football 22:09 - Jun 27 with 2383 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Do we as fans get the two mixed up sometimes?

Comes in the wake of criticism of England U21s who I thought were very effective today and previously.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2017 22:17]
Attractive v Effective Football on 11:19 - Jun 28 with 612 viewsdaveB

Personally think you can be attractive and good to watch in any style but the style always needs to reflect the personalities of the manager and players. I think it's very difficult to try and come in and force a new style on players they are not comfortable with, that always unravels in the end. We saw it when Redknapp tried to play 3 at the back, not the worst idea in the world but the players wouldn't have it and that all fell apart.

I think most fans just want to see their team play attacking football, scoring goals and creating chances which is why the last 4/5 years have been so painful to watch at times. The Redknapp promotion team was very effective but dreadful to watch.

My favourite QPR teams have played a variety of systems and styles. Venables QPR were great to watch, Francis team was quite direct at times but could also get the ball down and play. Holloways first QPR team were quite direct whilst Warnock's was the most complete team I've seen who could play any style they wanted and still win.
Attractive v Effective Football on 11:40 - Jun 28 with 597 viewsJamesB1979

Attractive v Effective Football on 11:13 - Jun 28 by daveB

not sure thats true about Holloway.

In games against Reading, Fulham, Newcastle and Leeds last season the team looked very well drilled with every player knowing what they needed to do and played to a gameplan perfectly.

Yes that's true. However, key thing for Holloway is whether he sticks to his guns after a bad game. My concern is that he will seek to change things and put in new personnel and new formations if 1 doesn't work....or even worse he'll change the formation dependent on the opposition.
Attractive v Effective Football on 11:44 - Jun 28 with 592 viewsdaveB

Attractive v Effective Football on 11:40 - Jun 28 by JamesB1979

Yes that's true. However, key thing for Holloway is whether he sticks to his guns after a bad game. My concern is that he will seek to change things and put in new personnel and new formations if 1 doesn't work....or even worse he'll change the formation dependent on the opposition.

I don't mind changing formations if the manager finds a way to beat the opposition, when foreign managers do this they are hailed as a genius
Attractive v Effective Football on 11:50 - Jun 28 with 590 viewsJamesB1979

Attractive v Effective Football on 11:44 - Jun 28 by daveB

I don't mind changing formations if the manager finds a way to beat the opposition, when foreign managers do this they are hailed as a genius

And he would be called a genius too if that method proves successful. However, we're playing in the 2nd tier of English football and our squad is, in my view, pretty average. I may be proven wrong but I think, given the limitations of our squad and the opposition, 1 well drilled and organized settled team is what is needed.
Attractive v Effective Football on 11:57 - Jun 28 with 582 viewsdaveB

Attractive v Effective Football on 11:50 - Jun 28 by JamesB1979

And he would be called a genius too if that method proves successful. However, we're playing in the 2nd tier of English football and our squad is, in my view, pretty average. I may be proven wrong but I think, given the limitations of our squad and the opposition, 1 well drilled and organized settled team is what is needed.

I agree but sometimes that means being drilled to play in a different system to counter the threat of the opposition.
Attractive v Effective Football on 12:52 - Jun 28 with 540 viewsDorse

I used to love watching the Italian football in the early 90s. The way that AC Milan set up to destroy teams with the defensive brilliance of Baresi, Costacurta and the peerless Paolo Maldini was something to behold. However, the way that they used players like Gullit and Van Basten to exploit space and explode into gaps meant that they were practically unplayable.

In one sense, they were quite a slow side to watch but they were definitely effective. Even with that in mind, their football was attractive - utterly compelling.

I doubt whether this style would be called attractive in the English leagues but I compare it to MMO on-line games. There are people that use the phrase 'I only play for fun' (usually when they've just cost the team a win): the counter argument is 'It is a lot more fun when you win'. Winning football is attractive. How many kids bought Chelsea shirts etc when Mourinho was winning everything? The football played was boring as fcuk, but they were winning so it was alright.* What about Liverpool in the 80s: Grobelaar, to Hansen, to Lawrenson, back to Grobelaar, repeat. Boring - but they won everything (and still won't shut up about it).

Attractive? Effective? I'd say effective becomes attractive if you're winning.

*It wasn't. It really wasn't. Cunce.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Attractive v Effective Football on 12:57 - Jun 28 with 537 viewstraininvain

Attractive v Effective Football on 08:08 - Jun 28 by peejaybee

Are Barca Boring.??????

The Guardiola side that took Man Utd apart in the Champions League final at Wembley is probably the best football team I've seen.

The best form of defence is attack and they epitomised this with a high press and some of the most free flowing, pure football I've witnessed.
Attractive v Effective Football on 20:40 - Jun 28 with 491 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Watching Portugal v Chile, two teams that many would deem more attractive AND more effective than England.

Genuinely struggling to spot anything special , and could easily see England beating both of them if we played tomorrow.
Login to get fewer ads

Attractive v Effective Football on 12:52 - Jun 30 with 417 viewsLadbrokeR

Attractive v Effective Football on 08:28 - Jun 28 by Konk

In the first couple of months perhaps, but that wasn't the case for the majority of the season. Unlike Reading, for instance, our game relied on quick transitions from defence to attack with the full backs bombing forward, Johansen and Cairney driving on from midfield, and the direct running of Aluko, Ayite and Kebano upfront. As the stats show, we had plenty of shots, but often lacked composure in the box. Joint top scorers on 85 goals - and we still missed something like 12-13 penalties! Loads of opposition fans, management and players commented on the quality of our football, so I'm not sure it's fair to say we were dull last season.

That's until you played us at your place when quite frankly none of it worked.
Attractive v Effective Football on 12:57 - Jun 30 with 411 viewsAntti_Heinola

Attractive v Effective Football on 20:40 - Jun 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

Watching Portugal v Chile, two teams that many would deem more attractive AND more effective than England.

Genuinely struggling to spot anything special , and could easily see England beating both of them if we played tomorrow.

England are almost incapable of beating any of the top 12-16 sides in a competitive game - and haven't been able to do it for years.

Bare bones.

Attractive v Effective Football on 13:01 - Jun 30 with 409 viewsKonk

Attractive v Effective Football on 12:52 - Jun 30 by LadbrokeR

That's until you played us at your place when quite frankly none of it worked.

We hadn't really got going at that point in the season. When we moved to a midfield trio of McDonald, Johanssen and Cairney, that's when we found our way and started to play some excellent, dynamic football. We played you on 1st October and had the very pedestrian Parker and extremely limited Tunnicliffe in midfield rather than McDonald and Johanssen. That said, we still managed to fu ck-up two penalties and miss at least two piece of pis s chances in that game. We were below you in the table afterwards.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Attractive v Effective Football on 13:12 - Jun 30 with 400 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great thread.

I've only realised as I've gotten older how complicated my own views are!

As someone born to destroy rather than create i.e. I have no skill whatsoever, I always loved defending and good goalkeeping. As a spectator I have loved to an indecent level Barca, Holland, Ajax and Brazil. As a manager, I have found myself sub-consciously planning to stop the other team first, and deploying my team to do so, even when we were outstanding favourites.

And that last line's the key - especially when we were outstanding favourites. Like Neil I have found that all team sports I have played - football, Gaelic Football, even 5-a-side footy - are stacked in your favour if you defend well and in numbers, deny the oppo space, and deliver the call quickly and accurately on the inevitable turnovers. It's devastating.

And if all that sounds easy, well that's because it ignores the obvious question: what happens when the oppo plan the same?!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Attractive v Effective Football on 19:56 - Jun 30 with 343 viewsDylanP

Now this is what the off-season messageboard should be about -- long-winded philosophical discussions on the essence of football. This is a great thread.

Obviously, you can be both effective and attractive. Lots of teams manage it. The Terry Venables teams managed it -- with Terry orchestrating great systems within which the seemingly unlimited pool of youth talent could operate. Man that was fun to watch! The Taarabt team managed it because Neal figured out how to wrap a system around Taarabt that maximized and complimented his talent. If you have the players to do attractive well enough, it is pretty damn effective.

Equally obviously, attractive football is talent-reliant, whereas (non-attractive) effective football is system-reliant. In other words, if a team has enough talent it can play attractive football in any system. Likewise, if a team is trained and coached well enough to really execute particular systems effectively, then they are much less reliant on individually talented players.

I don't think that there is much doubt that everyone would prefer to watch football that is both attractive and effective. The disagreement is that some people would say, if I have to chose one I would prefer attractive football, whereas other would say the opposite (if I have to choose one, I want to win).

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024