Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Elise Christie 10:29 - Feb 20 with 5336 viewsSnipper

Is she the most cursed sportswomen in Olympic history?

In the last 2 Winter Olympics, she’s either crashed out or been disqualified in 6 different speed skating events.

I was watching her latest race just a few minutes ago, and she was mysteriously disqualified again.
Elise Christie on 14:09 - Feb 20 with 1689 viewsRs_Holy

Elise Christie on 13:10 - Feb 20 by Pommyhoop

Indeed. Not only did he name- drop the aforementioned Wendy Sly, but he also slipped in the fact that he ran for the same athletic club.Left me wondering whether he was of a standard similar to Ms Sly.
Superb.

"Left me wondering whether he was of a standard similar to Ms Sly".

I was not fit to lace her spikes!
Elise Christie on 14:37 - Feb 20 with 1639 viewsOldPedro

I watched the speed skating relay final earlier - had no idea what was going on. They don't pass a baton, you just push a team-mate on the bum and that's the hand over.

And then at the end, the bronze medal was won by a team who weren't even in the final

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Elise Christie on 14:45 - Feb 20 with 1620 viewsPommyhoop

Elise Christie on 14:37 - Feb 20 by OldPedro

I watched the speed skating relay final earlier - had no idea what was going on. They don't pass a baton, you just push a team-mate on the bum and that's the hand over.

And then at the end, the bronze medal was won by a team who weren't even in the final

Remember this?

You have to click on the underlined ''Watch on YouTube''
or the title of the vid
[Post edited 20 Feb 2018 14:51]

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Elise Christie on 15:54 - Feb 20 with 1574 viewsconnell10

I quite like the outfits the female speed skaters wear, that's about it really!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Elise Christie on 18:38 - Feb 20 with 1509 viewshubble

Elise Christie on 11:06 - Feb 20 by CroydonCaptJack

At the risk of sounding like a name-dropping w@@nker a friend of mine Wendy Sly ended up with the Silver in that race.

You mean she won it on the Sly?

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Elise Christie on 20:13 - Feb 20 with 1452 viewsMrSheen

Elise Christie on 13:54 - Feb 20 by paulparker

am I the only one who clicked on this thread and thought we were after a new striker ?

I thought of this guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iyseden_Christie

Only 41, could still do a job for us. And he could find any lower league ground in the Midlands with his eyes closed. He must be a legend at Coventry Sphinx, why would you leave a club like that?
Elise Christie on 22:27 - Feb 20 with 1391 viewskarl

Me and Distort went to school with the daughter of an Olympic silver medallist and my brother worked with him for a while too. Won't name him as he had a bit of a grudge that had his race been 100m longer he reckons he'd of got gold but more so that Brendan Foster of the same era came out of it as a household name having achieved less in his career. He bumbled along but had various minor issues with the law, did some low level coaching and always seemed a bitter man even though he made such a significant achievement.
Very nice family and i think my brother is godfather to one of his grandkids, just to try and get some reflected kudos out of the story .....

Edit. I'd have a grudge if Brendan Rodgers beat me at the Olympics when he was a new born
[Post edited 20 Feb 2018 23:17]
Elise Christie on 22:51 - Feb 20 with 1366 viewsdistortR

Elise Christie on 22:27 - Feb 20 by karl

Me and Distort went to school with the daughter of an Olympic silver medallist and my brother worked with him for a while too. Won't name him as he had a bit of a grudge that had his race been 100m longer he reckons he'd of got gold but more so that Brendan Foster of the same era came out of it as a household name having achieved less in his career. He bumbled along but had various minor issues with the law, did some low level coaching and always seemed a bitter man even though he made such a significant achievement.
Very nice family and i think my brother is godfather to one of his grandkids, just to try and get some reflected kudos out of the story .....

Edit. I'd have a grudge if Brendan Rodgers beat me at the Olympics when he was a new born

lol. I have no idea who you are talking about, i truly don't!!

I did go to the school with a fella who went on to manage an international football team though...........
Login to get fewer ads

Elise Christie on 23:08 - Feb 20 with 1356 viewskarl

Elise Christie on 22:51 - Feb 20 by distortR

lol. I have no idea who you are talking about, i truly don't!!

I did go to the school with a fella who went on to manage an international football team though...........

They lived on the back road halfway between our houses!

Football geezer was an ar#e
Thanks to you he's now and R, I'm not sure which is worse.....

Edit.
I will say his name was Maurice and he married Marina, it would gave been funnier if she was Allegro but there you go
[Post edited 20 Feb 2018 23:11]
Elise Christie on 23:19 - Feb 20 with 1343 viewsdistortR

Elise Christie on 23:08 - Feb 20 by karl

They lived on the back road halfway between our houses!

Football geezer was an ar#e
Thanks to you he's now and R, I'm not sure which is worse.....

Edit.
I will say his name was Maurice and he married Marina, it would gave been funnier if she was Allegro but there you go
[Post edited 20 Feb 2018 23:11]

https://goo.gl/images/svknV7

maurice (sic) marina!!

Edit: I got there eventually, Karl had to send me a couple of texts though!
[Post edited 20 Feb 2018 23:24]
Elise Christie on 23:23 - Feb 20 with 1334 viewskarl

Elise Christie on 23:19 - Feb 20 by distortR

https://goo.gl/images/svknV7

maurice (sic) marina!!

Edit: I got there eventually, Karl had to send me a couple of texts though!
[Post edited 20 Feb 2018 23:24]

We had at least two of these and an Allegro!
Elise Christie on 23:27 - Feb 20 with 1327 viewsdistortR

Elise Christie on 22:27 - Feb 20 by karl

the brendan rogers bit only added to my confusion............

Although Brendan Rogers has a left-back who plays for Scotland but is as Manx as the hills, fella. Which is annoying.

Anyway, back to the bint on skates
[Post edited 20 Feb 2018 23:32]
Elise Christie on 23:33 - Feb 20 with 1311 viewskarl

Elise Christie on 23:27 - Feb 20 by distortR

the brendan rogers bit only added to my confusion............

Although Brendan Rogers has a left-back who plays for Scotland but is as Manx as the hills, fella. Which is annoying.

Anyway, back to the bint on skates
[Post edited 20 Feb 2018 23:32]

Born in the IoM to Scottish parents and left very young. You can't have him!

Brendan Rodgers teeth look like they've won a steeplechase or two but got me Brendans mixed up!
Elise Christie on 23:36 - Feb 20 with 1305 viewsSydneyRs

Elise Christie on 12:22 - Feb 20 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Can they re-run it till she wins

She is not cursed just not a good as she thinks she is.

Current world champion at two of her 3 distances. Call me old fashioned, but I'd say that's pretty good.

The sport itself its a lottery with so many crashes. Add to that a judging system that matches the most ridiculous boxing decisions and anything can happen. Famously Steven Bradbury of Australia won a gold medal after the other 3 guys who he was half a lap behind all crashed out. Not only that but the same thing happened for him in the semi final. His luck is the opposite of what Christie has had.

She showed a lot of guts to complete that race basically on one leg and in a qualifying position. The girl she seems to have been penalised for bumping actually cut across her first. Ridiculous sport but she's still young enough to try again. Maybe though she might consider something where your fate is more in your own hands!
Elise Christie on 23:38 - Feb 20 with 1300 viewsdistortR

Elise Christie on 23:33 - Feb 20 by karl

Born in the IoM to Scottish parents and left very young. You can't have him!

Brendan Rodgers teeth look like they've won a steeplechase or two but got me Brendans mixed up!

how about, if he plays well, he's British, and when he has a mare he's Scottish?

Even though he's Manx.

as the hills

as a cancelled flight

as a vat-free luxury jet

as rain
Elise Christie on 23:41 - Feb 20 with 1297 viewsdistortR

Elise Christie on 23:36 - Feb 20 by SydneyRs

Current world champion at two of her 3 distances. Call me old fashioned, but I'd say that's pretty good.

The sport itself its a lottery with so many crashes. Add to that a judging system that matches the most ridiculous boxing decisions and anything can happen. Famously Steven Bradbury of Australia won a gold medal after the other 3 guys who he was half a lap behind all crashed out. Not only that but the same thing happened for him in the semi final. His luck is the opposite of what Christie has had.

She showed a lot of guts to complete that race basically on one leg and in a qualifying position. The girl she seems to have been penalised for bumping actually cut across her first. Ridiculous sport but she's still young enough to try again. Maybe though she might consider something where your fate is more in your own hands!

Excuse me, this is a private conversation?
Elise Christie on 23:43 - Feb 20 with 1290 viewskarl

Yes, the skater is hard to like. She is obviously good enough to win but she must be trying too hard?
Watched her 500m final and although she did look as though someone had made contact with her at the end of the back straight i saw no way she could have finished 1st or 2nd and 3rd was looking tight but the reaction at the end was as though she'd been taken out from Gold position. I don't follow the sport so was it an attempt to get the race re run? Had to be the reason and of course that doesn't sit well with your average arm chair fan although my recollection of 4 yrs ago was that she seemed to have some bad luck with decisions against her, its probably the sport that's got too many failings and she has come out of it looking bad. Get on a tea tray and we'll all love you!
Elise Christie on 02:29 - Feb 21 with 1241 viewsisawqpratwcity

Elise Christie on 23:36 - Feb 20 by SydneyRs

Bradbury actually had three Hail Mary passes on his way to gold. His quarter-final race was going to be daunting because it also featured the both the competition favourite and the defending world champion, with only two to proceed. Bradbury finished third and thought himself eliminated until the defending champion was disqualified for obstructing another competitor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Bradbury#2002_Winter_Olympics

I don't begrudge him his medal. He admitted that his age and race load would make him uncompetitive and that there was a strong possibility of falls due to the others all expecting to need to go flat out to win. There's no shame in winning by anticipating the flaw in your competitors' strategy.

Olympic name drop? My brother-in-law was once mistaken for the 1976 1500m gold medallist, kiwi John Walker. Ok, it's hardly touching the Robe of Olympic Fame, but his embarrassment at the time was highly amusing.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024