Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Connor Washington = Mike Sheron 23:13 - Feb 21 with 6421 viewsRed_Ranger

Just saying....

After reading Blades match report, hit me like a diamond bullet. Dejavu.
Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 08:28 - Feb 23 with 1646 viewscaliforniahoop

Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 13:00 - Feb 22 by Northernr

The real tragedy of the Sheron thing was Clive Mendonca was available and scoring prolifically at this level for Grimsby for £1m, which Charlton paid and went up instead.
Spencer was a great signing but there were so many others kicking around at that stage for less than the drek we bought - Keller, Matt Elliott, Alex Rae, Andy Booth, Mendonca. Imagine if we'd bought that lot instead of Sommer, Zelic, Hateley, Sheron, Morrow, Rose etc bought the land behind the school end... What would our club look like now?

I was trying to remember the name of that Millwall midfielder the other day, that’s twice when spending vast sums we have messed up, even if money becomes available in the future, our dna will not allow us to splash and be successful, it will never work for us, that’s just the way it is, splash on the infrastructure and we will fly!
Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 13:15 - Feb 23 with 1582 viewsLongsufferingR

Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 13:00 - Feb 22 by Northernr

The real tragedy of the Sheron thing was Clive Mendonca was available and scoring prolifically at this level for Grimsby for £1m, which Charlton paid and went up instead.
Spencer was a great signing but there were so many others kicking around at that stage for less than the drek we bought - Keller, Matt Elliott, Alex Rae, Andy Booth, Mendonca. Imagine if we'd bought that lot instead of Sommer, Zelic, Hateley, Sheron, Morrow, Rose etc bought the land behind the school end... What would our club look like now?

"What would our club look like now?"

Knowing us, probably 15th in the Championship but with a huge pile of rubble behind the school end.
Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 15:26 - Feb 23 with 1530 viewsTheBlob

Houston didn't want to sign Paolo Wanchope who impressed mightily during a trial spell since he was obsessed with signing Sheron.Big mistake,what might have been......

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 16:11 - Feb 23 with 1501 viewsCamberleyR

Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 01:09 - Feb 23 by SydneyRs

The comparison with Tony Sealy is interesting. At the beginning of that season where he scored 16 in our promotion run he was a bit of a laughing stock amongst fans. You could argue that 16 goals in a team that dominated the league enough to win it by 10 points was not a great return. I wonder how many Washington might get in such a team?

As for Sheron, a massive disappointment. I do have one fond memory though. My brother pestered me (I took a lot of persuasion) into going to that game v league leading Boro where he scored twice and we caned them 5-0 in what was a huge shock.

He also joined Jamie Pollock as a QPR scorer that famous day at Maine Road. Ridiculous goal where we took a quick free kick with City stood there ball watching. I was in the away end just waiting for it to be disallowed but the goal stood and the rest is history.

16 doesn't seem a great total on the face of it but it was only 42 league games back then. Sealy missed two games, was sub in one and started the rest so 16 in 39 is not bad going and in those 39 games he also had a nine game sequence (after his initial brace in the second league game) without scoring.

We were also top scorers in the division that season with 77 goals and the goals were shared around the team. After Sealy with 16, the next highest were Gregory with 15 (what would he be worth in this day with stats like that as a midfielder?), Allen 13, Stainrod 9 and Flanagan with 7. Oh, what we would give for a strike force to contribute 45 goals in a season.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 13:24 - Feb 24 with 1386 viewsonlyrinmoray

What really pisses me off about this debate is that most of us on this site knew that our strikers werent up to it from the first game of the season. Yet the management didnt know it
Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 13:33 - Feb 24 with 1376 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 13:24 - Feb 24 by onlyrinmoray

What really pisses me off about this debate is that most of us on this site knew that our strikers werent up to it from the first game of the season. Yet the management didnt know it

To be fair, they've said continually that we can't even afford to be in the loan market for strikers, let alone buy any. That's as close as they can say publically "we know our strikers aren't great but we can't do anything about it" without publically shaming them and destroying their confidence.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 13:42 - Feb 24 with 1366 viewsTacticalR

Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 13:33 - Feb 24 by BrianMcCarthy

To be fair, they've said continually that we can't even afford to be in the loan market for strikers, let alone buy any. That's as close as they can say publically "we know our strikers aren't great but we can't do anything about it" without publically shaming them and destroying their confidence.

Does that mean that there will be no walk of atonement through Shepherd's Bush with someone at the front ringing a bell?

Air hostess clique

Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 13:43 - Feb 24 with 1361 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 13:42 - Feb 24 by TacticalR

Does that mean that there will be no walk of atonement through Shepherd's Bush with someone at the front ringing a bell?

Login to get fewer ads

Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 15:25 - Feb 24 with 1328 viewsonlyrinmoray

We spent money on Bright and Wheeler, that money could have been spent on a striker The only success has been Paul Smyth who we spent £500k on and looks to be well spent
Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 15:59 - Feb 24 with 1311 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 15:25 - Feb 24 by onlyrinmoray

We spent money on Bright and Wheeler, that money could have been spent on a striker The only success has been Paul Smyth who we spent £500k on and looks to be well spent

Agreed on the point about the wingers, definitely.

Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 20:19 - Feb 24 with 1260 viewsbaz_qpr

Washington was a panic buy, surely if we had been tracking and scouting properly we would have known his basic footballing skills were not up to scratch for this or a higher level, we bought of the back of a purple patch in a winning league one team in a 3 or 4 months period. We should have had the Austin replacement lined up and done in the summer / autumn prior to him going.
Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 21:13 - Feb 24 with 1224 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 20:19 - Feb 24 by baz_qpr

Washington was a panic buy, surely if we had been tracking and scouting properly we would have known his basic footballing skills were not up to scratch for this or a higher level, we bought of the back of a purple patch in a winning league one team in a 3 or 4 months period. We should have had the Austin replacement lined up and done in the summer / autumn prior to him going.

I don't think he was a panic buy, young lad with 30 goals in 80 games for Peterborough and playing regularly for NI youth. What's not to like?

He went to Euro 2016 two months after we signed him too, and has scored 1 in 3 for country.

I think as usual, we fcked him up somehow. A mixture of negative fan attitude, which I've been told gets picked up by players at LR, and being played as winger for all that time under JFH has fvcked his confidence, probably irreversibly.

Regarded highly by his ex chairman who said we wasted him under JFH:

[Post edited 24 Feb 2018 21:26]
Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 21:52 - Feb 24 with 1190 viewsCamberleyR

Connor Washington = Mike Sheron on 20:19 - Feb 24 by baz_qpr

Well, again that has echoes of the Sheron purchase. Yes he scored 23 in the season before we bought him but from January onwards of that season his form fell off the edge of a cliff as he scored just three times in the last 16 (including an 11 game blank stretch so was the first half of that season just a journeyman striker having the purplest of purple patches? It certainly seems so now.

I'd be most surprised if we scouted Sheron that thoroughly before signing him. Houston probably just saw the 23 goals and thought add that to Spencer's 96/97 tally and we'll be promotion certs without a thought of how they would play together.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2018 21:56]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024