Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In all seriousness 11:06 - Mar 14 with 5103 viewspeejaybee

How do we hope to keep any if not all our upcoming young players from being enticed away by the so called Big Boys.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

In all seriousness on 14:39 - Mar 14 with 1699 viewsNorthernr

We don't. We develop them, we sell them for some of the stupid money that's floating around, and we replace them with new ones. That's how it's meant to work, that's how a club with 12,000 gates survives and competes in the top two divisions under FFP. We desperately need clubs buying our players for big money to become a regular thing, and have a conveyor belt of replacements ready to go.
In all seriousness on 16:24 - Mar 14 with 1584 viewspeejaybee

So we go from Champ to Prem on odd occasions just like West Brom/Sunderland Etc selling our best players to achieve what,
Answer.A Yo-Yo Club
F**K That.

In all seriousness on 16:27 - Mar 14 with 1579 viewsEsox_Lucius

In all seriousness on 16:24 - Mar 14 by peejaybee

So we go from Champ to Prem on odd occasions just like West Brom/Sunderland Etc selling our best players to achieve what,
Answer.A Yo-Yo Club
F**K That.

What is your preference? Win the Championship next season then reside forever in the EPL thereafter? I think I would choose that too, sounds great.

The grass is always greener.

In all seriousness on 16:43 - Mar 14 with 1548 viewspeejaybee

In all seriousness on 16:27 - Mar 14 by Esox_Lucius

What is your preference? Win the Championship next season then reside forever in the EPL thereafter? I think I would choose that too, sounds great.

Yes with a squad of players mostly home grown that want to play for us,stay with us and only might get sold onto M/City- M/u- Barca if they pay the 750.000 buy out clause that we have on certain players.
Pay it or F.O.

In all seriousness on 16:58 - Mar 14 with 1515 viewssimmo

In all seriousness on 16:24 - Mar 14 by peejaybee

Answer.A Yo-Yo Club
F**K That.

No, the point is (and best case scenario) is that we're more like Burnley or Brighton. Slowly building a team that's both competitive and as close to self sustaining as possible, try to get promotion and if that happens, bank as much money as possible to;

- continue to be self sustaining in leaner years / back in the Championship without the PL money
- improve infrastructure (youth academy, training facilities, improvements at LR, etc)
- pick up some young prospects and players that are within a strict wage structure that can work in Championship or be sold on for a profit should we be relegated

Longer term and with consistent PL money we can look into pipe dreams like a new stadium, but until then there is NOTHING wrong with bouncing around leagues for a bit, it's what you do with the resources you get while you're doing it that counts. Also being a 'yo-yo' club is huge progress from where we are.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

In all seriousness on 16:58 - Mar 14 with 1515 viewskensalriser

A yo-yo club seems preferable to our current situation, firmly stuck in the Championship with the only realistic exit option downwards.

Only seven clubs in the PL who've been there for more than ten years..

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

In all seriousness on 17:00 - Mar 14 with 1513 viewsenfieldargh

In all seriousness on 14:39 - Mar 14 by Northernr

We don't. We develop them, we sell them for some of the stupid money that's floating around, and we replace them with new ones. That's how it's meant to work, that's how a club with 12,000 gates survives and competes in the top two divisions under FFP. We desperately need clubs buying our players for big money to become a regular thing, and have a conveyor belt of replacements ready to go.

Burnley were selling their top assets a few years back and finding gems lower down the leagues.

They bought Ashley Barnes from Brighton 4 years ago for a modest fee and he has bubbled under the surface for a few years before stepping up and now is playing and scoring regularly.

they sold Ross Wallace and Danny Ings for big money among others and kept finding better replacements. If we could mirror Burnley then I would be a happy hoop

Want to see Eze, Manning stay for a few seasons longer please

Oh and pay Robinson & Ned what they want and trim the squad a bit more to help finance it

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

In all seriousness on 17:00 - Mar 14 with 1513 viewsLowerloftLad

There does seem to be a decent crop growing here at the moment we also have goss who is out getting some decent reviews well that was until they played the only footballing side in the league

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Login to get fewer ads

In all seriousness on 17:17 - Mar 14 with 1481 viewsTacticalR

My only caveat is that it is as easy to sell badly as it is to buy badly.

One thing we have struggled with all season is scoring goals (which seems strange to say after yesterday's goalfest). It can be disastrous to sell goal-scorers without a replacement. This is from a previous discussion about player sales:

'I certainly remember the fans getting more and more hostile to Richard Thompson as he sold off our crown jewels, with the sale of Ferdinand the final bit of 'good business' that had us laughing all the way to the third tier.

So part of the trick is hanging on to the right players, if you can. And there's nothing wrong with spending money on good players, if you can. It's the strategy of spending money on awful players with big reputations that has done for us.'

Air hostess clique

In all seriousness on 17:52 - Mar 14 with 1433 viewsPlanetHonneywood

In all seriousness on 17:00 - Mar 14 by enfieldargh

Burnley were selling their top assets a few years back and finding gems lower down the leagues.

They bought Ashley Barnes from Brighton 4 years ago for a modest fee and he has bubbled under the surface for a few years before stepping up and now is playing and scoring regularly.

they sold Ross Wallace and Danny Ings for big money among others and kept finding better replacements. If we could mirror Burnley then I would be a happy hoop

Want to see Eze, Manning stay for a few seasons longer please

Oh and pay Robinson & Ned what they want and trim the squad a bit more to help finance it

Didn’t they also flog Charlie Austin for a few quid to someone?

If young pups see guys being developed to the extent that they get into our First XI and then they get big money moves to the Prem, we should not have a problem attracting talent to the club. Therefore, Burnley is an excellent example of how you can go from feeder club to one where good players come to you in the Prem.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

In all seriousness on 18:13 - Mar 14 with 1409 viewssimmo

In all seriousness on 17:52 - Mar 14 by PlanetHonneywood

Didn’t they also flog Charlie Austin for a few quid to someone?

If young pups see guys being developed to the extent that they get into our First XI and then they get big money moves to the Prem, we should not have a problem attracting talent to the club. Therefore, Burnley is an excellent example of how you can go from feeder club to one where good players come to you in the Prem.

Trippier, Rodriguez, Ings, Austin are all players that were bought cheap, sold at a profit and then replaced well. Look at Michael Keane - bought for not much from United after a successful loan move and sold for £30m 2 years later. Then replaced by Tarkowski who was back up and they haven't skipped a beat.

We may not replicate things quite at that level, but it's part of what's made them sustainable and able to reach the PL in the first place
[Post edited 14 Mar 2018 18:22]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

In all seriousness on 18:16 - Mar 14 with 1401 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

In essence we become the Southampton of London.
In all seriousness on 19:05 - Mar 14 with 1356 viewsjohncharles

In all seriousness on 11:58 - Mar 14 by enfieldargh

If Bowler went for 4 Million having played 45 minutes then Eze has got to be 8-10 up

Shush.....

Strong and stable my arse.

In all seriousness on 19:35 - Mar 14 with 1309 viewskropotkin41

We have two clear choices: we either promulgate and successfully see through a revolution after which we will be able to enjoy our footie in a post-capitalist libertarian communist world, or we have to see the lad Eze, and every other talented young player to wear the hoops as a pound symbol on legs, running around and entertaining us for as long as it takes for his value to rise to a level at which the club can reap the harvest.

I choose revolution and the all new Anarchist Football League......... I suspect most of the rest of you will choose pound signs on legs...... Maybe Eze will stay until the end of next season eh?

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

In all seriousness on 20:18 - Mar 14 with 1279 viewsSuffolkHoop

Eze needs to be given a contract that stretches long into the distant future ASAP.
In all seriousness on 20:22 - Mar 14 with 1276 viewsCiderwithRsie

Different angle on this:

The three names cited of recent young players flogged off for a fee were Sterling, Bowler and Parrett. All perfectly decent deals for us but only Sterling can say unequivocally it was a good deal for him; I think it was defo a bad deal for Parrett.

I think Eze, Smyth, Furlong etc are in a different category to Sterling - you can see how they fit into our team and that a season or two with us should make them better players, whereas I'm not sure how Sterling would have got better in our team at the time, I don't think the other players would have read his game.
In all seriousness on 13:42 - Mar 15 with 1138 viewsPinnerPaul

Massive carrying away by op there!

Little Smyth was very ordinary v Sunderland for example - him and Eze haven't played 10 Championship games between them yet, so don't think we need to 'worry' about mega million £ offers just yet - there are many many young players higher up this league with more experience that clubs will be looking at before those two!

Plus of course all the academy players at the 'big' clubs, where there is some serious talent.
In all seriousness on 14:03 - Mar 15 with 1115 viewstoboboly

In all seriousness on 14:00 - Mar 14 by loftboy

An I point everyone in the direction of Clive’s match report, only Furlong of the youngsters that played last night came through their our youth teams, the others were aquired from other clubs and started in the under 23’s

And? They are our youth and we are developing them. Exactly what we need to be doing, finding kids at other places as well as our own, giving them a chance if they are good enough.

Just cos someone was born in Yeovil and started there at 8 years old doesn't mean that if they break through in pro football with us they aren't ours.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

In all seriousness on 14:19 - Mar 15 with 1102 viewsEsox_Lucius

In all seriousness on 13:42 - Mar 15 by PinnerPaul

Massive carrying away by op there!

Little Smyth was very ordinary v Sunderland for example - him and Eze haven't played 10 Championship games between them yet, so don't think we need to 'worry' about mega million £ offers just yet - there are many many young players higher up this league with more experience that clubs will be looking at before those two!

Plus of course all the academy players at the 'big' clubs, where there is some serious talent.

I think his infected toe may have had a huge bearing on his performance against Sunderland. He was definitely off the pace and not as niggly in the tackles during that game. We'll only really know once he is fit again and starts a game obviously.

The grass is always greener.

In all seriousness on 14:19 - Mar 15 with 1101 viewsDorse

The whole yo-yo thing can work to the club's advantage if it is planned-for. The WBA example is a good one: they planned and accounted for promotion / relegation / promotion as part of a mid-term strategy. They knew that they were unlikely to stay up in the first season, so banked the cash, accepted that the first promoted season was a learning curve and built a team that could dominate the Championship the next season. When they went up again, they had an experienced team with recent Prem experience that would not require major surgery to stay up.

The very antithesis to what we did. Natch.

If we become a selling club, this too isn't necessarily a bad thing. For example, one 'Bowler' a season can fund, say, a Freeman or a Scowen with change left over to pay for a Smyth. If it keeps us competitive and off the FFP radar (two fairly significant ifs, I'll grant you), it i a platform on which to build. The U23s, and Development Squads are clearly working and that is a sustainable model. It can be done and there really isn't any reason to preclude us from achieving it.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024