Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Safe standing to be debated in parliament. 16:28 - May 2 with 2422 viewsajcoombes

After signing the petition for safe standing it has been confirmed that it will be debated in parliament. The subject is going to be debated on 25th June in the commons. Something that I know a lot of Rangers fans feel passionate about and want to see implemented. The club also backed the petition and if it gets through the commons it could be something that we will see at the Loft in the coming years, and this may begin to help the atmosphere at home games again.
Safe standing to be debated in parliament. on 16:31 - May 2 with 2417 viewsEsox_Lucius

It may take more than an online petition to see this one over the line as the rate of success of these is zero. It may take vocal protests and banners, especially on live games to get the swell of support needed.
https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/2017/01/do-online-petitions-actually-w

The grass is always greener.

Safe standing to be debated in parliament. on 16:34 - May 2 with 2409 viewsPinnerPaul

Just about to post similar

a) In this on line world, does 100,000 'signatures' mean ALL such subjects ARE worthy of a debate in parliament? and

b) If they never actually get to become law - what is the point? It just becomes a box ticking exercise - 100,000? Yep Had the debate? Yep and erm.................that's it!
Safe standing to be debated in parliament. on 16:37 - May 2 with 2396 viewsEsox_Lucius

Safe standing to be debated in parliament. on 16:34 - May 2 by PinnerPaul

Just about to post similar

a) In this on line world, does 100,000 'signatures' mean ALL such subjects ARE worthy of a debate in parliament? and

b) If they never actually get to become law - what is the point? It just becomes a box ticking exercise - 100,000? Yep Had the debate? Yep and erm.................that's it!

The debate is on June 25th. Get yourself onto the Parliamentary channel for that one LOL

The grass is always greener.

Safe standing to be debated in parliament. on 16:39 - May 2 with 2386 viewsajcoombes

The petition even if it reaches 100,000 doesn't have to be debated in the commons, it just has to be considered for debate. If they really don't want to debate something and they feel that it is a waste of time then it can be dismissed straight away.

I just hope that this is a step in the right direction and one day the majority of fans will get what they want and the MPs see sense. I feel that there is still a fear among politicians and they don't want another Hillsborough.
Safe standing to be debated in parliament. on 16:42 - May 2 with 2380 viewsRBlock

Slap bang in the middle of the World Cup, so we'll see how much attention this garners in a couple months. Right about the negligible effect of these petitions - if we really want to see change I can imagine lobbying individual local MPs to support the motion may be the next step.
Safe standing to be debated in parliament. on 16:44 - May 2 with 2372 viewsToast_R

The dark cloud of Hillsborough will always loom large of this debate.
Safe standing to be debated in parliament. on 16:57 - May 2 with 2338 viewsJuzzie

It's been proven that terracing didn't kill all those poor people. It was fences and utterly inept policing which was covered up for years and the blame switched elsewhere.

We haven't had fences for years in the UK and even QPR refused to put them up when others did and this proved a wise move when the away end for the West Ham Cup game was overcrowded due to forged tickets and it meant people could get out of the terrace relatively safely.

I presume you'd still be designated a seat (i.e ML D 98) so there won't be any risk of overcrowding.

Hillsborough was used as an opportunity to get rid of terracing and curb hooliganism. Whilst that's of course not a bad thing, to do it on the back of a wholesale cover up was disgusting.

[Post edited 2 May 2018 17:01]
Safe standing to be debated in parliament. on 01:25 - May 3 with 2190 viewstimcocking

The government, being the government, will probably still say no, because as we all know, they only ever make the fcuking stupid decision about anything that involves people's enjoyment and common sense.

Ps "this may begin to help the atmosphere at home games again. "

Not so much 'may help' as absolutely bloody definitely being a massive help...

[Post edited 3 May 2018 1:27]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024