Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban 11:16 - Dec 6 with 6513 viewspaesanu

Thank Christ. If my kid has to be subjected to Ray's odds one more time during a match I'd have to invent new swear words.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/dec/06/gambling-firms-back-live-sports-

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 11:40 - Dec 6 with 5248 viewsdaveB

They can instead watch football from the Bet 365 stadium with teams wearing betting sponsors and betting ads shown pitchside.

It'll make absolutely no difference whatsoever. If the betting firms really cared they'd stop in play betting
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 16:09 - Dec 6 with 5148 viewsPinnerPaul

That's the end of horse racing on ITV and probably other live sport as well I reckon.
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 06:42 - Dec 7 with 5006 viewsdaveB

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 16:09 - Dec 6 by PinnerPaul

That's the end of horse racing on ITV and probably other live sport as well I reckon.

Horse Racing is unaffected, it's only football
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 09:55 - Dec 7 with 4972 viewsNorthernr

Ladbrokes always have the worst ads. That one at the minute with that lad from the Inbetweeners (because.... why?) flying into a high street in a robot suit (because..... why?) and shouting "LADS LADS LADS" before somebody from the marketing department points out they're trying to get away from that images and makes him add "errrrr...... AND EVERYBODY" is absolutely incredible. I mean, just how has that made it through any sort of process without somebody saying 'nah this is terrible'? Looks like the result of a failed Apprentice task.
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 10:19 - Dec 7 with 4947 viewsPinnerPaul

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 06:42 - Dec 7 by daveB

Horse Racing is unaffected, it's only football

That's a relief Dave - it was reported as 'live sport' - just the usual shoddy journalism I guess!

Still not great for ITV though - must affect the ROI for live football - have to replace the bookies with other advertisers obviously.
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 11:44 - Dec 7 with 4916 viewsdaveB

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 10:19 - Dec 7 by PinnerPaul

That's a relief Dave - it was reported as 'live sport' - just the usual shoddy journalism I guess!

Still not great for ITV though - must affect the ROI for live football - have to replace the bookies with other advertisers obviously.

Bookies can still advertise in football, they are just not going to do live odds at half time or at full time. They can still advertise in the breaks before and after the games. Not ideal for ITV but we don't have that much football now anyway
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 11:56 - Dec 7 with 4901 viewsMick_S

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 11:44 - Dec 7 by daveB

Bookies can still advertise in football, they are just not going to do live odds at half time or at full time. They can still advertise in the breaks before and after the games. Not ideal for ITV but we don't have that much football now anyway

Yep. That'll learn the bookies.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 11:58 - Dec 7 with 4893 viewsdaveB

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 11:56 - Dec 7 by Mick_S

It was the bookies idea, make it look like they are doing something rather than see it banned altogether
Login to get fewer ads

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 12:12 - Dec 7 with 4873 viewsKonk

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 11:58 - Dec 7 by daveB

It was the bookies idea, make it look like they are doing something rather than see it banned altogether

Hopefully we’ll still have odds flashing up on the advertising boards, encouraging us to lump on Darren Bent for the next goal scorer at generous odds. Having seen the BET365 profits, can there be a single person out there who thinks it’s a good idea to be down the bookies all day?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 12:32 - Dec 7 with 4848 viewsYorkRanger

Whilst DaveB may have a point in that the difference it makes will have little impact, I think it is a positive step forward and no doubt is an attempt by the bookmakers to act before they are told to make changes.

The whole gambling thing seems to have got completely out of hand. The change to maximum stakes for the machines in Betting Shops is another positive mood.
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 12:46 - Dec 7 with 4833 viewsMick_S

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 12:12 - Dec 7 by Konk

Hopefully we’ll still have odds flashing up on the advertising boards, encouraging us to lump on Darren Bent for the next goal scorer at generous odds. Having seen the BET365 profits, can there be a single person out there who thinks it’s a good idea to be down the bookies all day?

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 14:31 - Dec 7 with 4755 viewsPinnerPaul

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 11:44 - Dec 7 by daveB

True, but the WC England games and to a lesser extent the Euro games always give ITV the highest audiences of that year.

Interesting that they are still going to advertise during the matches - again not how it was reported!
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 14:34 - Dec 7 with 4753 viewsPinnerPaul

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 11:56 - Dec 7 by Mick_S

It came from the bookies!

I heard a ridiculous quote from a government spokesman saying they welcomed the news as they were keen to avoid anything that 'normalised' betting.

On what planet is betting 'abnormal'?????????!!!!!!!!!

In any case in this on line world to think banning a few adverts of a certain type is going to affect betting is absurd - hence why the bookies have put forward this 'concession'
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 14:35 - Dec 7 with 4747 viewsPinnerPaul

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 12:32 - Dec 7 by YorkRanger

Whilst DaveB may have a point in that the difference it makes will have little impact, I think it is a positive step forward and no doubt is an attempt by the bookmakers to act before they are told to make changes.

The whole gambling thing seems to have got completely out of hand. The change to maximum stakes for the machines in Betting Shops is another positive mood.

'Out of hand' - in what way?
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 14:48 - Dec 7 with 4733 viewsdaveB

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 14:31 - Dec 7 by PinnerPaul

True, but the WC England games and to a lesser extent the Euro games always give ITV the highest audiences of that year.

Interesting that they are still going to advertise during the matches - again not how it was reported!

It's a whistle to whistle ban so nothing stopping them going in before or after games, not sure if it affects sponsorship either as Bet 365 sponsor the live games on BT
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 14:48 - Dec 7 with 4733 viewsNorthernr

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 14:35 - Dec 7 by PinnerPaul

'Out of hand' - in what way?

- amount of shops
- amount of adverts
- amount of money being lost, and profits being declared
- amount of very young people betting regularly. When previously it used to be old men in smokey shops now it's something cool you can do on your phone with very little check on your age. You hear groups of very young teens on trains all the time talking about their 'mental acca' and who can put the most ridiculous bet on.
- amount of people with a problem

All of these things are going the wrong way in this country and none of them are good.

This post has been edited by an administrator
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 15:11 - Dec 7 with 4700 viewsYorkRanger

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 14:48 - Dec 7 by Northernr

- amount of shops
- amount of adverts
- amount of very young people betting regularly. When previously it used to be old men in smokey shops now it's something cool you can do on your phone with very little check on your age. You hear groups of very young teens on trains all the time talking about their 'mental acca' and who can put the most ridiculous bet on.

All of these things are going the wrong way in this country and none of them are good.

To add to that the financial losses and human misery caused by the addiction to the machines and to Clive's point the ease of access to gambling websites virtually 24/7 on markets everywhere in the world, from mobile devices.

Don't get me wrong I'm no prude about this and I like a football bet and a day at the races like most - just seems to have spiraled out of all proportion,,,
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 15:16 - Dec 7 with 4687 viewsdaveB

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 15:11 - Dec 7 by YorkRanger

To add to that the financial losses and human misery caused by the addiction to the machines and to Clive's point the ease of access to gambling websites virtually 24/7 on markets everywhere in the world, from mobile devices.

Don't get me wrong I'm no prude about this and I like a football bet and a day at the races like most - just seems to have spiraled out of all proportion,,,

I agree about these problems but just think a ban on adverts during matches is a token gesture, it won't solve anything
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 15:20 - Dec 7 with 4684 viewsMick_S

- amount of shops
- amount of adverts

The amount of run down and poor areas targeted by the bookies now containing a hugely disproportionate amount of betting shops compared to more affluent areas.

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 15:33 - Dec 7 with 4661 viewsMick_S

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 11:58 - Dec 7 by daveB

Yeah, I get that Dave - the bookies must be wetting themselves.

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 16:47 - Dec 7 with 4614 viewsPinnerPaul

- amount of shops
- amount of adverts

All of those apply to other businesses and activities though - none are unique to gambling.
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 17:02 - Dec 7 with 4604 viewsNorthernr

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 16:47 - Dec 7 by PinnerPaul

All of those apply to other businesses and activities though - none are unique to gambling.

But people don't get addicted to the Spar shop.
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 17:16 - Dec 7 with 4597 viewsPinnerPaul

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 17:02 - Dec 7 by Northernr

But people don't get addicted to the Spar shop.

Obviously!

But as you know full well, I didn't say they all applied to all.

But firms making excess profits for example isn't unique to gambling.

Under age drinking?? Too many 'newsagents' selling cheap booze to underage drinkers?

I could go on, I suppose my point is, that gambling is targeted for all the reasons you mention as if the rest of the commercial world doesn't do those things!
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 09:25 - Dec 8 with 4524 viewsdaveB

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 17:16 - Dec 7 by PinnerPaul

Obviously!

But as you know full well, I didn't say they all applied to all.

But firms making excess profits for example isn't unique to gambling.

Under age drinking?? Too many 'newsagents' selling cheap booze to underage drinkers?

I could go on, I suppose my point is, that gambling is targeted for all the reasons you mention as if the rest of the commercial world doesn't do those things!

thing is ads on tv are heavily regulated, i work in that area and each programme is checked for it's audience, if shows are aimed at viewers under the age of 18 then gambling and booze ads don't run around them. We even go as far as checking content of the programmes so if a documentary features an alcoholic we don't run alcohol ads around it, every compliant we get from viewers about the juxtaposition of commercials to programmes is taken seriously and looked into and it's safe to say gambling ads around the world cup provoked a few complaints.

Sport is a bit of a grey area in that it's not aimed at under 18's and is mainly watched by Adult men with a lot of the live games on terrestrial tv tending to be at night but due to how big the World Cup was it's probably best that we self regulate a bit more and this is a step in the right direction even though

It won't solve Britain's gambling problems just like banning cigarette advertising didn't stop people smoking but it won't hurt either.
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 10:55 - Dec 8 with 4500 viewsPunteR

Was it ever a good idea in the first place? We've now got a whole new generation into gambling. Like daveb says its a token gesture.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024