Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When stats do lie … 15:36 - Mar 31 with 2075 viewsNW5Hoop

"We had 60% possession, 33 crosses and 21 shots."

Well, yes …

However, the problem was that after Bolton scored, they went tight and narrow (Gary Parkinson was constantly shouting "Squeeze! Squeeze!" at his team when we were in possession). So the shots tended to be from a long way out, towards a crush of bodies. And the crosses were being put into a crowded box. And, of course, most of the shots were headed towards Pluto, and most of the crosses towards either Row Z of the opposite stand or the feet of the first defender. We simply didn't have the intelligence to work our way through a team who were largely happy to guard their box.

Stupidly, there was a time before they scored when I thought we were going to win four or five nil. Before they packed the box, their defence was awful. We had 10 minutes or so of waltzing through them. So it wasn't defensive skill that kept us out, it was the simple fact that we couldn't find a way through a confined space.
When stats do lie … on 15:40 - Mar 31 with 2065 viewsstowmarketrange

That’s what happens when you have a striker that couldn’t hit a cows backside with a banjo and it doesn’t look like he can be bothered to pick up the banjo in the first place.
How can McLaren think he is a good option to start the game with?
[Post edited 31 Mar 2019 15:42]
When stats do lie … on 00:27 - Apr 1 with 1761 viewsDannyPaddox

When stats do lie … on 15:40 - Mar 31 by stowmarketrange

That’s what happens when you have a striker that couldn’t hit a cows backside with a banjo and it doesn’t look like he can be bothered to pick up the banjo in the first place.
How can McLaren think he is a good option to start the game with?
[Post edited 31 Mar 2019 15:42]

Homer Tepid?
When stats do lie … on 10:42 - Apr 1 with 1645 viewsthemodfather

I felt we played a too slow tempo, the pitch was dry and poor, we did not pass ball to feet ie around them and they loved the high balls, our crosses were poor and no seemed to want a bust a gut for the team. once Bolton scored we were ferked, like v Rotherham.
When stats do lie … on 18:12 - Apr 2 with 1457 viewstimcocking

I'm always surprised nobody mentions the blindingly obvious.

Possession stats are probably impossible to standardise. If 1000 people did it, you'd have 1000 different readings. It's literally made up bollox, surely? Define possession for a start. That isn't even starting on wtf does it matter possession in your own half anyway? Pointless waste of time really.

If you keep possession in your own half too much, you should lose a point for being boring fcuks.

But yeah, re the op, i don't remember over a half century of crosses and shots. Do you think he was counting Joe Lumley's kicks as a cross/shot?
When stats do lie … on 18:29 - Apr 2 with 1440 viewssmegma

When stats do lie … on 18:12 - Apr 2 by timcocking

I'm always surprised nobody mentions the blindingly obvious.

Possession stats are probably impossible to standardise. If 1000 people did it, you'd have 1000 different readings. It's literally made up bollox, surely? Define possession for a start. That isn't even starting on wtf does it matter possession in your own half anyway? Pointless waste of time really.

If you keep possession in your own half too much, you should lose a point for being boring fcuks.

But yeah, re the op, i don't remember over a half century of crosses and shots. Do you think he was counting Joe Lumley's kicks as a cross/shot?

The only stat that counts is the score line. Which flattered us.
When stats do lie … on 18:54 - Apr 2 with 1419 viewsPinnerPaul

Stats do sometimes lie, but I thought live and still do that the Bolton performance was nowhere near as bad as v Rotherham and the stats in this case DO back me up.
When stats do lie … on 19:37 - Apr 2 with 1377 viewsBenny_the_Ball

By jove you've cracked it! We were winning games when the opposition had more possession.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024