Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 91837 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 11:19 - Aug 23 with 1472 viewsNov77

Least surprising news of the day, Roy gone for 9,

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 11:21 - Aug 23 with 1462 viewsClive_Anderson

He just can't play test cricket can he?
Ashes thread on 11:25 - Aug 23 with 1441 viewsClive_Anderson

Aaaaargh Root gone as well
Ashes thread on 11:27 - Aug 23 with 1432 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes thread on 11:21 - Aug 23 by Clive_Anderson

He just can't play test cricket can he?

It's not really surprising. He plays hardly at all any red ball first class cricket so he doesn't get exposure to a moving ball. His technique has become accustomed to the white ball which moves nowhere near as much and it seems he can't adjust. Put him front of a moving red ball and he's all at sea.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 11:29 - Aug 23 with 1419 viewsrunningman75

England lacking a world class test batsman. Time to raid the Commonwealth to see if there is one out there.
Ashes thread on 11:31 - Aug 23 with 1418 viewsjohnhoop

For all that Archer and Broad bowled brilliantly yesterday the predictable disintegration yet again of our top order means we needed to get them out for less than 100 to stand any chance.
Ashes thread on 11:33 - Aug 23 with 1404 viewsted_hendrix

Useless fecking knobs.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes thread on 11:38 - Aug 23 with 1392 viewsPhildo

England and Australia really working hard to prove the 5 day game is a goner,
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 11:39 - Aug 23 with 1389 viewsClive_Anderson

Ashes thread on 11:27 - Aug 23 by CamberleyR

It's not really surprising. He plays hardly at all any red ball first class cricket so he doesn't get exposure to a moving ball. His technique has become accustomed to the white ball which moves nowhere near as much and it seems he can't adjust. Put him front of a moving red ball and he's all at sea.

But he seems to go looking for balls he should be leaving well alone. It's more a mental thing than a technique problem I think.

They can't leave balls alone, like some sort of reverse yips.
Ashes thread on 11:54 - Aug 23 with 1360 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 11:31 - Aug 23 by johnhoop

For all that Archer and Broad bowled brilliantly yesterday the predictable disintegration yet again of our top order means we needed to get them out for less than 100 to stand any chance.

England bowled very poorly yesterday for a long period. They should have had the Aussies out for less than 100. Now we'll need to bat sensibly today for the whole day. I don't believe we can do that.
Ashes thread on 11:55 - Aug 23 with 1356 viewsHooparoo

You bloody beauty! 20-3. 😜

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes thread on 12:05 - Aug 23 with 1330 viewsNov77

Ashes thread on 16:56 - Aug 17 by Nov77

England’s top order is a shambles.

Bump, from the lords game, repeat ad nauseam !

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 12:10 - Aug 23 with 1315 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 11:54 - Aug 23 by jonno

England bowled very poorly yesterday for a long period. They should have had the Aussies out for less than 100. Now we'll need to bat sensibly today for the whole day. I don't believe we can do that.

The contrast in terms of bowling accuracy is pretty stark. Archer and Broad were lethal but our change bowlers sprayed it around so much that we handed them about seventy runs on a plate. Their three quicks are constantly putting it in what Boycott refers to as the “ corridor of uncertainty “ and the movement off the seam is doing the rest. They’re just giving absolutely nothing away, which is the way it should be in test cricket.
Ashes thread on 12:16 - Aug 23 with 1301 viewsNov77

This is a masterclass in how to throw away the ashes

Ashes thread on 12:24 - Aug 23 with 1279 viewsjohnhoop

FFS. Stokes had to stretch to the absolute limit to play the waft that guided the ball to slip. After the last match I thought he was our last big hope. Did he think he was playing 20/20 or something?
Ashes thread on 12:24 - Aug 23 with 1275 viewsCamberleyR

Root can consider himself unfortunate, he got a good ball, the others have chucked their wickets away. Pathetic.

Ashes thread on 12:35 - Aug 23 with 1245 viewsWatford_Ranger

Ashes thread on 12:24 - Aug 23 by johnhoop

FFS. Stokes had to stretch to the absolute limit to play the waft that guided the ball to slip. After the last match I thought he was our last big hope. Did he think he was playing 20/20 or something?

Struggling to recall a worse wicket in Test cricket given the situation. Staggering. The penalty area Barbet kamikaze tackle of batting.
Ashes thread on 12:44 - Aug 23 with 1229 viewsClive_Anderson

45-5
Ashes thread on 12:48 - Aug 23 with 1220 viewsCamberleyR

I'm struggling to recall a worse England top 6 in my lifetime.

Ashes thread on 12:48 - Aug 23 with 1218 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes thread on 11:54 - Aug 23 by jonno

"Now we'll need to bat sensibly today for the whole day"

LOL

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes thread on 12:50 - Aug 23 with 1208 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes thread on 12:48 - Aug 23 by ted_hendrix

"Now we'll need to bat sensibly today for the whole day"

LOL

Batting sensibly for a session or even half of one would be a start.

Ashes thread on 12:51 - Aug 23 with 1202 viewsNov77

this Is utterly brainless, constantly playing and wafting at wide ones that could easily be left.
Catching practice for the Aussie slips.

Ashes thread on 12:52 - Aug 23 with 1196 viewsClive_Anderson

45-6
Ashes thread on 12:55 - Aug 23 with 1187 viewsNov77

Looks like we’re going to rely on broad and archer with the bat as well as the ball.

Ashes thread on 12:56 - Aug 23 with 1183 viewsCamberleyR

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024