Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Living in North London 12:04 - Jan 26 with 6222 viewsNed_Kennedys

Well it looks like I've got myself a new job in Hendon and will move to North London, an area I don't know too well really. Has anyone got any good recommendations on nice areas to live in that general area?
Living in North London on 12:36 - Jan 26 with 3490 viewssmegma

Are you joining the Met
Living in North London on 12:38 - Jan 26 with 3484 viewsNed_Kennedys

Living in North London on 12:36 - Jan 26 by smegma

Are you joining the Met

Haha definitely not!
Living in North London on 12:42 - Jan 26 with 3458 viewsA40Bosh

To be honest "that general area" is actually a huge area to cover. Hendon I think is a really a North London "suburb" and a fair way out and therefore it is going to be like any area within the M25 (I think of everything within it being "London") and it will have it's nice parts and not so nice parts.

Not knowing you, I would suggest you write yourself a list of what your "needs" are from an area

1. Place of Work (Fixed Hendon)
2. How will/can you commute (public transport, walking/cycling only, driving)
3. Hours of work (anti social hours travelling?)
4. Personal Circumstances (single, relationship, family considerations)
5. Accommodation (Room within shared house, apartment/flat lease, house rental etc)
6. Social life aspirations (are you going to be go clubbing/pub and night life regularly)
7. If you want to get to Hendon on the Northern Line, how long a commute is acceptable?

Most areas of North London have really nice areas neighbouring with some not so nice areas. Places like Crouch End and Finchley and Highgate are nearer to town but are expensive and Hendon will have its nicer parts and again some not great areas and then north of that you are really in to the sticks of Edgeware or west to Stanmore over towards Harrow.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Living in North London on 13:05 - Jan 26 with 3403 viewsBoston

Where are you moving from?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Living in North London on 13:18 - Jan 26 with 3385 viewsLoftgirl

Living in North London on 12:42 - Jan 26 by A40Bosh

To be honest "that general area" is actually a huge area to cover. Hendon I think is a really a North London "suburb" and a fair way out and therefore it is going to be like any area within the M25 (I think of everything within it being "London") and it will have it's nice parts and not so nice parts.

Not knowing you, I would suggest you write yourself a list of what your "needs" are from an area

5. Accommodation (Room within shared house, apartment/flat lease, house rental etc)
6. Social life aspirations (are you going to be go clubbing/pub and night life regularly)
7. If you want to get to Hendon on the Northern Line, how long a commute is acceptable?

Most areas of North London have really nice areas neighbouring with some not so nice areas. Places like Crouch End and Finchley and Highgate are nearer to town but are expensive and Hendon will have its nicer parts and again some not great areas and then north of that you are really in to the sticks of Edgeware or west to Stanmore over towards Harrow.

Hendon is in North West London. Edgware is spelt Edgware.
Living in North London on 13:20 - Jan 26 with 3380 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I live in Hendon. We should go for a drink and I’ll show you around 👍
Living in North London on 13:25 - Jan 26 with 3351 views2Thomas2Bowles

Living in North London on 13:20 - Jan 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 13:26]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Living in North London on 13:45 - Jan 26 with 3302 viewsBoston

...and if you could move over within the next fours years, Hendon's a marginal.

Login to get fewer ads

Living in North London on 13:53 - Jan 26 with 3285 viewsNed_Kennedys

Living in North London on 12:42 - Jan 26 by A40Bosh

Thanks for the detailed response: much appreciated.

Will be on the Edgware Road and will have a company car so driving to and from work: wouldn't want to have a 'normal' rush hour drive of longer than 30 mins I guess. Will be renting a flat initially on my own, would like to be in walking distance of some decent bars and restaurants and parks etc in a nice(ish) area, ideally to the South/East of where I will be working.
Living in North London on 13:54 - Jan 26 with 3284 viewsNed_Kennedys

Living in North London on 13:05 - Jan 26 by Boston

Where are you moving from?

Bournemouth.
Living in North London on 13:55 - Jan 26 with 3276 viewsNed_Kennedys

Well that's a coincidence!
Living in North London on 13:59 - Jan 26 with 3253 viewsBoston

Living in North London on 13:54 - Jan 26 by Ned_Kennedys

Bournemouth.

So, moving to London NW4, firstly the streets are paved with gold....

Living in North London on 14:09 - Jan 26 with 3220 viewsBoston

Living in North London on 13:53 - Jan 26 by Ned_Kennedys

Will be on the Edgware Road and will have a company car so driving to and from work: wouldn't want to have a 'normal' rush hour drive of longer than 30 mins I guess. Will be renting a flat initially on my own, would like to be in walking distance of some decent bars and restaurants and parks etc in a nice(ish) area, ideally to the South/East of where I will be working.

I am very familiar with Hendon, though a Wembley man, this area was the epicentre of our business back in the day and I still get through there regularly.
If the Edgware Rd (A5, or in my day Watling St ) runs through where you work, that would be West Hendon(The Hyde), slightly more down at heel than most of the neighbourhood but quite livable. If that is the case, google up property to rent in Colindale, the next place up the Edgware Rd, comfortable, safe enough, few pubs, though majority Arsenal, number of Rangers still around.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 14:11]

Living in North London on 14:34 - Jan 26 with 3175 viewsBoston

Sorry, just read again...south / east of there puts you into very expensive territory. Think Golders Green, Hampstead, Highgate are in that general area, unless you go due south to Cricklewood, more earthy, ' The Goodies' have long moved out.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 14:37]

Living in North London on 14:37 - Jan 26 with 3171 viewsMaggsinho

What about West Hampstead? Has all of that and is an easy drive to Hendon.
Living in North London on 14:49 - Jan 26 with 3146 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Living in North London on 14:37 - Jan 26 by Maggsinho

It’s also two stops on the train.
Living in North London on 15:11 - Jan 26 with 3092 viewsNed_Kennedys

Living in North London on 14:37 - Jan 26 by Maggsinho

Probably out of my price range. Will be expensive whatever I get though: was paying £900 for a large 2 bedroom flat with balcony on the south coast.
Living in North London on 15:11 - Jan 26 with 3083 viewsBoston

Oh yeah, the unasked question...getting to Loftus Rd from Hendon? As Barack has pointed out, two stops from Hendon to West Hampstead(Thameslink), now the strange thing about West Hampstead is there are three stations by that name, all on West End Lane, a couple of minutes from each other and all on different lines. The aforementioned Thameslink, the Overground(North London Link as we used to call it) and the Jubilee Line. So Thameslink, two stops to West Hampstead, alight for a two mins walk to Overground(NLL), then on the Clapham train to Shepherds Bush. Sorted.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 15:12]

Living in North London on 15:11 - Jan 26 with 3090 viewsjohann28

West London man myself :) but my son has just bought (ok, with a little help from the International Bank of Dad) a place in Harringay, and I must admit I'm very impressed. Don't need to be fkg millionaire to live there, genuine community, young families etc, big Greek/Turkish influence (sorry Brexit people, but you know what we think) meaning affordable places to eat and whatnnot. Check it out.
Living in North London on 15:13 - Jan 26 with 3073 viewsBoston

Living in North London on 15:11 - Jan 26 by Ned_Kennedys

Probably out of my price range. Will be expensive whatever I get though: was paying £900 for a large 2 bedroom flat with balcony on the south coast.

oh, tent, Welsh Harp then.

Living in North London on 15:16 - Jan 26 with 3062 viewsBoston

Living in North London on 15:11 - Jan 26 by johann28

West London man myself :) but my son has just bought (ok, with a little help from the International Bank of Dad) a place in Harringay, and I must admit I'm very impressed. Don't need to be fkg millionaire to live there, genuine community, young families etc, big Greek/Turkish influence (sorry Brexit people, but you know what we think) meaning affordable places to eat and whatnnot. Check it out.

FYI, big Greek and particularly big Turkish community there long before the EU.

Living in North London on 15:43 - Jan 26 with 2999 viewshantssi

Kingsbury man myself, Blackbird Cross end, Kingsbury’s not bad as is Queensbury or Canons Park, do NOT live in Burnt Oak!
Living in North London on 15:52 - Jan 26 with 2980 viewsBoston

Living in North London on 15:43 - Jan 26 by hantssi

Kingsbury man myself, Blackbird Cross end, Kingsbury’s not bad as is Queensbury or Canons Park, do NOT live in Burnt Oak!

Super pub is the George, was occasionally found in Kingsbury Town FC's bar, when not causing a nuisance in The Plough.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 16:01]

Living in North London on 15:59 - Jan 26 with 2957 viewshantssi

Know The George very well, still a pretty decent pub although not like the old days when it was mainly full of Irish folks!
Actually used to drink more in The Century as it was by the school and more central to all of us to meet up.
Also used to drink in the St Joes in Wembley as they had an interesting interpretation of the licensing laws!
Mum still lives there so get to go back quite a lot.
Living in North London on 16:04 - Jan 26 with 2930 viewsBoston

A golden rule of mine, always make friends with a landlord who's pub has curtains.

The Century was an easy walk from our house, didn't like the place, rarely went in. Did know the woman whose family owned it for many years before WW2(and some years after), forget her name but many nostalgic oldie worldly stories she had of that part of Wembley. Lived up on Barn Hill she did.

Edit...lived on Elmstead Ave(when a youngster), for a number of years.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 16:12]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024