Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard 12:30 - Mar 31 with 2058 viewsTacticalR

'An announcement confirming the initial suspension of English football until April 3 — since extended to the end of next month — came shortly after 11am on Friday 13th. By that stage preparations were well underway at Loftus Road for QPR’s derby clash with Fulham just over 24 hours later.'

Er, Barnsley surely?

QPR 'close to the edge' despite years of hard work financially stabilising club
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/qpr-close-to-the-edge-financially-stab

Air hostess clique

Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 12:34 - Mar 31 with 2040 viewsNorthernr

It's also another one of those Standard stories where the headline bears absolutely no relation to the quotes.
Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 12:48 - Mar 31 with 2002 viewsfrancisbowles

Thanks for putting this up Tactical. Any Rrrrs related article is gratefully received at present.
Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 13:17 - Mar 31 with 1941 viewsozranger

Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 12:34 - Mar 31 by Northernr

It's also another one of those Standard stories where the headline bears absolutely no relation to the quotes.

Speaking of quotes, I have always wondered if a journalist has a right to amend a quote so that the grammar is corrected. Is there a set rule to just let the speaker sink in his or her own poor grammar or can/should "real" journalists correct the simple errors? Perhaps un-Cockney a Cockney quote.
Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 14:30 - Mar 31 with 1815 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 13:17 - Mar 31 by ozranger

Speaking of quotes, I have always wondered if a journalist has a right to amend a quote so that the grammar is corrected. Is there a set rule to just let the speaker sink in his or her own poor grammar or can/should "real" journalists correct the simple errors? Perhaps un-Cockney a Cockney quote.

I think you can quote them direct and write 'sic' can't you which acknowledges it is incorrect but is as quoted. It is probably short for a latin word.
Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 14:44 - Mar 31 with 1783 viewsNorthernr

Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 14:30 - Mar 31 by CroydonCaptJack

I think you can quote them direct and write 'sic' can't you which acknowledges it is incorrect but is as quoted. It is probably short for a latin word.

Yeh we always correct it on the mags I work for. As long as you're not changing context or meaning people are usually grateful for it. Most interviews I do end with the person saying "make me sound good" or "tidy that up" or words to that effect.

Still think taking

"“Everyone is feeling the pinch, so it is about what we can do as a football family to compensate everybody and not just the big boys,” he said. “Clubs are going to need help. We need the revenue coming through the door, we need the matchday revenue. We’re not right on the edge, but we are quite close to it, like everybody else. It’s going to be a pretty hefty figure for us."

And headlining it QPR CLOSE TO THE EDGE is a bit disingenuous.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 14:44 - Mar 31 with 1783 viewsBucksRanger

Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 14:30 - Mar 31 by CroydonCaptJack

'sic' is the Latin word for 'thus'.
Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 14:54 - Mar 31 with 1749 viewsPhilmyRs

Pleased someone that made an excellent career, in part because of their heading ability, has put himself forward for the dementia tests for Footballers and the links identified with heading a ball.

The greatest in the air, for his size, that I remember, (Parker may disagree), regularly winning headers ands scoring headers, the ideal candidate for this study I would say and well done for being willing to help.
Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 14:59 - Mar 31 with 1729 viewsLunarJetman

Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 14:44 - Mar 31 by Northernr

Yeh we always correct it on the mags I work for. As long as you're not changing context or meaning people are usually grateful for it. Most interviews I do end with the person saying "make me sound good" or "tidy that up" or words to that effect.

Still think taking

"“Everyone is feeling the pinch, so it is about what we can do as a football family to compensate everybody and not just the big boys,” he said. “Clubs are going to need help. We need the revenue coming through the door, we need the matchday revenue. We’re not right on the edge, but we are quite close to it, like everybody else. It’s going to be a pretty hefty figure for us."

The Standard being disingenuous? Never!
Login to get fewer ads

Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 17:46 - Mar 31 with 1556 viewsderbyhoop

Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 12:34 - Mar 31 by Northernr

I'm sure that the other London EFL clubs are grateful that QPR were singled out. I'm sure they would be in similar difficulties, being dependent on gate revenue.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 18:03 - Mar 31 with 1538 viewsbosh67

Standard published an article with headline saying we were going to be in financial trouble after the virus lifts and then didn't really mention it. Just used the £42 million fine thing endlessly until it felt like a colouring in book.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 20:46 - Mar 31 with 1359 viewsMatch82

Interview with Les Ferdinand in the Standard on 14:44 - Mar 31 by Northernr

Still think taking

Though "QPR FANS close to the edge" would have been fairly on point.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024