Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England U-21 Phil Parkes 22:52 - Apr 21 with 1115 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Found myself down a wormhole and came across this strange one. The site below has Parkes playing an U-21 match in 1978. As he was born in 1950 this is either a mistake or U-21 teams were allowed one or two overage players like the Olympics.

I presume it's a mistake because he also quit England after review broke a promise to him, I thought?

http://www.rsssf.com/tablese/eng-u21-intres76.html

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP QUALIFIER
19/09/1978, Hvidovre
DENMARK U21 1-2 ENGLAND U21 [HT 1-0]
Scorers: Glenn Hoddle 47', Bob Hazell 50'

ENGLAND U21:
Phil Parkes [Queen's Park Rangers] [1/0]
Billy Wright [Everton] [1/0]
Kenny Sansom [Crystal Palace] [1/0]
Bob Hazell [Wolverhampton Wanderers] [1/1]
Paul Futcher [Manchester City] [11/0]
Steve Williams [Southampton] [9/0]
Gary Owen [Manchester City] [9/0]
Kevin Reeves [Norwich City] [4/0]
Cyrille Regis [West Bromwich Albion] [1/0]
Glenn Hoddle [Tottenham Hotspur] [6/1]
Graham Rix [Arsenal] [3/0]
[COACH: Dave Sexton]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

England U-21 Phil Parkes on 23:09 - Apr 21 with 1095 viewsCiderwithRsie

My memory is that the U-21s used to be allowed a couple of overage players, and this was often used to try out fringe players for the main squad by giving them competitive games.

I think Clive Allen and Stainrod may both have got a few U-21 caps that way, though I think Allen had a few anyway.

EDIT sorry, wrong on Clive Allen - remarkably just 3 U-21 caps in 1980 when he was 19
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 23:12]
England U-21 Phil Parkes on 23:23 - Apr 21 with 1075 viewsDannyPaddox

What was the deal with Parkes and Revie? I haven’t heard this one.

I vaguely remember Parksy getting an England cap of some description (U21, U23, full, or B) as late as the 80s when he was at West Ham when Greenwood was England manager, or maybe it’s this one you’re pointing out here Brian.
England U-21 Phil Parkes on 23:29 - Apr 21 with 1068 viewsSonofNorfolt

Revie to give him a second half of a game and reneged on the agreement. Phil told him to shove it, which is a shame because in 75/6 he was probably the best keeper in the country.
England U-21 Phil Parkes on 12:55 - Apr 22 with 921 viewsqpr_1968

talking of mistakes, qpr away to Fulham this season. if you got a programme for that game, turn to page 77, the article is about ernie howes 5 memorable matches. go to the bottom of the page and the qpr line up against Liverpool in that programme in 1977 doesn't ring true.
can you spot the mistake.....or does anyone know different.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

England U-21 Phil Parkes on 13:39 - Apr 22 with 879 viewsCamberleyR

England U-21 Phil Parkes on 23:29 - Apr 21 by SonofNorfolt

Revie to give him a second half of a game and reneged on the agreement. Phil told him to shove it, which is a shame because in 75/6 he was probably the best keeper in the country.

I might be wrong but I think it could have been the game against Wales in March 1976 at Wrexham which was some sort of celebration match (might have been the Wales FA's 100th anniversary?) where he gave lots of players their full debut.

As you say apparently PP told Revie to stick it and that was that for his international career. It was why when they went on that summer tour of USA in 1976 that the back up keepers to Clemence were Joe Corrigan and Jimmy Rimmer. Prior to this I think Shilton had also declared himself unavailable for the tour as he was also fed up at being Clemence's permanent understudy.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

England U-21 Phil Parkes on 13:47 - Apr 22 with 860 viewsWalnut

England U-21 Phil Parkes on 13:39 - Apr 22 by CamberleyR

I might be wrong but I think it could have been the game against Wales in March 1976 at Wrexham which was some sort of celebration match (might have been the Wales FA's 100th anniversary?) where he gave lots of players their full debut.

As you say apparently PP told Revie to stick it and that was that for his international career. It was why when they went on that summer tour of USA in 1976 that the back up keepers to Clemence were Joe Corrigan and Jimmy Rimmer. Prior to this I think Shilton had also declared himself unavailable for the tour as he was also fed up at being Clemence's permanent understudy.

Spot on, it was the game at Wrexham where PP was told he'd get the second half but didn't get the nod at half time so fell out with Revie. Also agree with SoN that PP was the best English keeper around 75/76.
Going back to earlier in the thread and linking to the 7374 thread elsewhere, PP's only game was away in Portugal April 74, when Stan also made his debut. This turned out to be Sir Alf's last match.
It wasn't shown on tv here as the BBC showed the FACSF replay between Liverpool & Leicester. As Shilton & Clemence were both involved, Parkes got the nod for England though ironically, had we beaten Leicester in the 6th round, it'd have been us involved (well on the Saturday anyway)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024