Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NVQ 23:18 - Apr 30 with 3347 viewsPunteR

I've got an ongoing issue with Reading college that i don't know how to resolve or even speak too about resolving so thought i'd put it out on here. As you do.
My son, who i employ, completed his 2nd year of college where he should have received his NVQ level 2 carpentry. He finished back in june 2019. He should have received his qualifications no later than October, so i was told. We got certificates to say he passed all his modules, some with merit. Except he hasn't fully passed yet.
The final assessments has to go out from the college to an independent assessor for his final grade to receive the NVQ level 2.
Heres where its gone wrong.
Part of his assessment was a site visit. There's supposed to be 3 site visits but the third wasn't done. Unfortunately the assessor has been in poor health and has taken a considerable amount of time off work. When he came back in September he did his final site visit. (Harry had left college by this point).
The assessor was happy with everything and signed it off. Or so we thought.
8 months later we are still waiting for it all to go through. The assessor is now off work long term with his health, plus of course the covid - 19 thing has now kicked off.
I have of course been on the phone to the relevant people at the college who just keep telling me "it's in the system"," its being processed and should be done soon". Bare in mind its still got to go out to an independent assessor.
Its a mess and an absolute disgrace that a college has messed an 18 year old's apprenticeship like this. The lad has worked hard but for no reward.
Who can i speak too to get this sorted?
I wanted Harry to do his 3rd year but no chance of that happening (putting aside the virus thing). For one , he doesn't want to deal with the college anymore and secondly he couldn't anyway as level 2 hasn't come through.
The relevant people at the college have assured me they're happy with his work ,yet don't seem to be able get it assessed independently from the college.
I know this isnt an isolated case either.
What on earth is this college doing? and how can i get people involved that will help us. ?
Any thoughts?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

NVQ on 23:39 - Apr 30 with 3319 viewsBoston

Obviously I find this very interesting, having obtained my paperwork from a ‘legendary’ academy located in Cricklewood, North West London. I must say that in my experience trade school teachers were very accommodating (except for one and I managed to get him fired, true story). I wouldn’t panic, the way the work place is at the moment I’d be generous to the school authorities, when it comes to the crunch they can and from your description of your son, will sign him off. A lot of leeway will be given for this ‘crisis’.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

NVQ on 00:07 - May 1 with 3294 viewsPunteR

NVQ on 23:39 - Apr 30 by Boston

Obviously I find this very interesting, having obtained my paperwork from a ‘legendary’ academy located in Cricklewood, North West London. I must say that in my experience trade school teachers were very accommodating (except for one and I managed to get him fired, true story). I wouldn’t panic, the way the work place is at the moment I’d be generous to the school authorities, when it comes to the crunch they can and from your description of your son, will sign him off. A lot of leeway will be given for this ‘crisis’.

Yeah, problem is this was an issue before the the virus lockdown so to my mind it been a bit convenient for them. Its a digital format that just has to be read through, signed and passed on/emailed for someone else to read through and sign. It shouldn't take 8 months.
Ive done the NVQ level 2 myself albeit over 20 years ago but i had no issues. In fact a lot of pride and standards within the building industry were set within the college near Great Portland St.
This Reading college couldn't give a flying shit.

NVQ on 00:25 - May 1 with 3279 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

https://www.ombudsman.org.uk/making-complaint/if-we-cant-help/education
NVQ on 00:37 - May 1 with 3265 viewsPunteR

NVQ on 00:25 - May 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

https://www.ombudsman.org.uk/making-complaint/if-we-cant-help/education

Thanks Bazza, will take a look.

NVQ on 02:01 - May 1 with 3234 viewsLythamR

NVQ on 00:37 - May 1 by PunteR

Thanks Bazza, will take a look.

Would also recommend that every contact with the college or other organisations is done in writing so you have a complete audit trail

if you need to have a phone conversation make sure you also confirm the details of the confirmation via email or letter and request a reply confirming the details of the conversation.
NVQ on 08:37 - May 1 with 3128 viewsnix

http://www.nvqcourse.co.uk/nvq_awarding_organisations.html

I'd try to get in touch with the NVQ awarding body if you can find out who is awarding your son's one. They might be able to put pressure on his college. They have to meet various criteria to be accredited to award NVQs, and I would have thought they're not meeting them.
NVQ on 09:12 - May 1 with 3103 viewsPunteR

NVQ on 08:37 - May 1 by nix

http://www.nvqcourse.co.uk/nvq_awarding_organisations.html

I'd try to get in touch with the NVQ awarding body if you can find out who is awarding your son's one. They might be able to put pressure on his college. They have to meet various criteria to be accredited to award NVQs, and I would have thought they're not meeting them.

Thanks Nix

NVQ on 09:26 - May 1 with 3091 viewsLblock

JM - as noted above I'd be doing a Recorded Delivery letter to the college with the chronology of events as you set out above (bullet points for dates and what fell out the back of each date)

I'd be cover copying this into the CITB and NVQ Board (as Nix notes)

Request the formal Certificate be received by yourselves within 14 days of date of letter but in lieu of this (and while pending) no dissent by return would result in your letter being confirmation of a formal pass.

I'd also say.... fair play to your lad. It's refreshing for young un's to be coming through the trades with pride and wanting the formal quals to back it up. Encourage him to crack on with it and build up to CSCS black and with SMSTS etc as a future target. That way he'll be your boss within five years.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

NVQ on 12:15 - May 1 with 3025 viewsPunteR

NVQ on 09:26 - May 1 by Lblock

JM - as noted above I'd be doing a Recorded Delivery letter to the college with the chronology of events as you set out above (bullet points for dates and what fell out the back of each date)

I'd be cover copying this into the CITB and NVQ Board (as Nix notes)

Request the formal Certificate be received by yourselves within 14 days of date of letter but in lieu of this (and while pending) no dissent by return would result in your letter being confirmation of a formal pass.

I'd also say.... fair play to your lad. It's refreshing for young un's to be coming through the trades with pride and wanting the formal quals to back it up. Encourage him to crack on with it and build up to CSCS black and with SMSTS etc as a future target. That way he'll be your boss within five years.

Cheers mate. All noted. Thank you. Yeh that's the long term plan, Harry taking over and me putting my feet up a bit..lol

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024