Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First Away Game 12:49 - Jun 2 with 5315 viewsslmrstid

Right, lets have some football chat

The club have in the last few days asked people to share their memories of their first home game, so on here how about sharing of memories of your first away trip for the R's? Double kudos if your first away game was also your first QPR game full stop.

My first away game was Wolves v QPR at Molineux in August 1996, at the beginning of the 96/97 season.

Things I can remember (I was 7 at the time so I cant remember a great deal)...
- There being an almighty thunder storm on the way up there in my Dad's car
- Going to a supermarket before the game for food and annoying my Dad by being a fussy child and not really wanting any of the children's food on offer
- Seeing the QPR team arrive, and the back of the program listing Kevin Gallen in the QPR team when we all knew he had just had a huge injury (this was in the days when programs just listed the prior match squad of 14)
- We didn't actually have tickets in the away end, so my Dad bought 2 tickets in the home ticket office, then when in the ground asked a steward if we could move to the away end. I think the fact he had a small child with him helped persuade the steward to walk us around the edge of the pitch and in with the QPR fans.
- I can remember absolutely bugger all of the game itself, although it was the game where Dichio scored that volley from approximately* 45,000 yards out

*Approximations may not be very accurate.

So come on then y'all, spill the beans on your first away day memories!

Fun extra fact, my second, and to date last trip to Molineux, came on the Easter weekend in the 2007/08 season when we drew 3-3, having been 3-2 up until the referee decided to play a ridiculous amount of injury time/until Wolves scored. A bloke behind me was going spare as he had put £10 on Ladbrokes Special Bet A in the away end betting booth of Akos Buzsaky to score the first goal and QPR to win 3-2 at 135/1. Akos did of course open the scoring in that match.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 12:51]
First Away Game on 13:01 - Jun 4 with 631 viewslosethedrum

Norwich April 1971 road lost 3-0 with my dad .
First Away Game on 13:24 - Jun 4 with 603 viewsBrianMcCarthy

First Away Game on 12:06 - Jun 4 by DevonWhite

Luton 1-2 QPR in Feb 1991, aged 8

Second was the 1-0 win at Coventry to go top of the league in 1992. Good times.

The third was a 1-0 win at Villa where Ferdinand scored a late winner:

Inexplicably, especially given the away end is clearly not sold out, my Dad decided to get the two of tickets on the Holte End for that one. He told me not to cheer if we scored, but I was ten years old and we scored a last minute winner so obviously I did. Remember him hurriedly dragging me out of the ground while loads of furious Brummies swore at us.

Three wins out of three!

I love the Les goal at Luton for one reason. Where the Jesus is their No. 4 off to at 0.15!!!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

First Away Game on 14:40 - Jun 4 with 570 viewsqpr_1968

First Away Game on 09:58 - Jun 4 by terryb

I loved that game, apart from the Pompey fans trying to get at us!

Ian Watson went in goal when Mike Kelly went off injured & Gerry Francis scored in his first start for us.

we stood behind one goal in the first half, and walked round to the other end for the second half as many qpr fans did. your right, it did get heated in the Portsmouth end, but surprisingly not a punch thrown.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

First Away Game on 17:25 - Jun 4 with 517 viewsDevonWhite

First Away Game on 13:24 - Jun 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Three wins out of three!

I love the Les goal at Luton for one reason. Where the Jesus is their No. 4 off to at 0.15!!!

I think we actually won my first five, one of which was the 5-3 at Everton. Having grown up watching us in the late 80s and early 90s, the subsequent decade was a brutal reality check.
First Away Game on 17:32 - Jun 4 with 506 viewsBrianMcCarthy

First Away Game on 17:25 - Jun 4 by DevonWhite

I think we actually won my first five, one of which was the 5-3 at Everton. Having grown up watching us in the late 80s and early 90s, the subsequent decade was a brutal reality check.

Unreal!

The 5-3 was another of my favourite away games.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

First Away Game on 19:27 - Jun 4 with 453 viewsdutch

Did anybody else go to Barnet away in the FA cup replay? Easily the scariest night of my life, like Rourke's Drift under that roof with slates raining down on us and triage taking place next to the pitch. I think we won.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024