Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First Away Game 12:49 - Jun 2 with 5313 viewsslmrstid

Right, lets have some football chat

The club have in the last few days asked people to share their memories of their first home game, so on here how about sharing of memories of your first away trip for the R's? Double kudos if your first away game was also your first QPR game full stop.

My first away game was Wolves v QPR at Molineux in August 1996, at the beginning of the 96/97 season.

Things I can remember (I was 7 at the time so I cant remember a great deal)...
- There being an almighty thunder storm on the way up there in my Dad's car
- Going to a supermarket before the game for food and annoying my Dad by being a fussy child and not really wanting any of the children's food on offer
- Seeing the QPR team arrive, and the back of the program listing Kevin Gallen in the QPR team when we all knew he had just had a huge injury (this was in the days when programs just listed the prior match squad of 14)
- We didn't actually have tickets in the away end, so my Dad bought 2 tickets in the home ticket office, then when in the ground asked a steward if we could move to the away end. I think the fact he had a small child with him helped persuade the steward to walk us around the edge of the pitch and in with the QPR fans.
- I can remember absolutely bugger all of the game itself, although it was the game where Dichio scored that volley from approximately* 45,000 yards out

*Approximations may not be very accurate.

So come on then y'all, spill the beans on your first away day memories!

Fun extra fact, my second, and to date last trip to Molineux, came on the Easter weekend in the 2007/08 season when we drew 3-3, having been 3-2 up until the referee decided to play a ridiculous amount of injury time/until Wolves scored. A bloke behind me was going spare as he had put £10 on Ladbrokes Special Bet A in the away end betting booth of Akos Buzsaky to score the first goal and QPR to win 3-2 at 135/1. Akos did of course open the scoring in that match.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 12:51]
First Away Game on 16:06 - Jun 2 with 938 viewspaulparker

Watford away 1985 milk cup round 4 I think
We won 1-0 Johnny Byrne and Barnes missed a pen

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

First Away Game on 16:25 - Jun 2 with 916 viewsmarky67

fulham 1982 drew 1-1 not 100% sure but i think tony sealy scored that day, can`t really remember much of that day to be honest.
First Away Game on 16:26 - Jun 2 with 916 viewsMrSheen

First Away Game on 15:34 - Jun 2 by Hayesender

Chelsea in the 82/83 season. Asked my mum if me and my mate John could go, and all was OK until John's mum mentioned that Chelsea fans had a bit of a reputation, so that was that.

Or it was until John came up with the brilliant idea of just lying to our mums. Asked our mums this time if we could get a red bus rover and go up to Oxford St.

For some reason this was fine, so we red bussed rovered to stamford Bridge to see us win 2-0. I'm pretty sure Flanagan got one of our goals?

My memory says it was Gregory and Sealy. First and only time I went to an away game with my Dad. He didn't have a lot of interest in football, and he didn't much care for policemen either so he never went again. I can only think my Mum forced him into some male bonding. We were sat on the top tier of the East Stand there. Barely a quarter full. Some Rangers fans couldn't contain their glee any longer and a few locals turned round and started climbing the seats to get at them, but they seemed to run out of puff and lose interest long before they got there.
First Away Game on 16:28 - Jun 2 with 913 viewsMrSheen

First Away Game on 16:25 - Jun 2 by marky67

fulham 1982 drew 1-1 not 100% sure but i think tony sealy scored that day, can`t really remember much of that day to be honest.

I can remember two things about that game. Tiny Paul Parker winning every header for them, and Concorde flying over.
First Away Game on 16:38 - Jun 2 with 898 viewsCamberleyR

My first away game was my second QPR game following on four years from my first on Easter Monday 1976. It was at the SW6 cesspit a couple of days after my 15th birthday, 2nd April 1980, a midweek game.

My dad had got the tickets as a birthday treat and we went with a workmate of his and his son who was the same age as me who were both filth fans and we sat towards the Shed end in that new stand that disappointingly didn't send them out of business a few years earlier.

They were top of the table at the time and we were starting to drop off the pacesetters and not look likely to bounce back first time after a poor run in December & early January. I seem to remember Geoff Hurst who was their manager at the time getting a bit cocky in the papers saying it would be a pretty much foregone conclusion they would be promoted.

We won 2-0 with both goals in the second half from Martyn Busby and Steve Burke who for a change wasn't sub. It was extremely satisfying as although the win ultimately didn't revive our slim hopes (we drew the next four) it absolutely derailed their promotion hopes as the pressure got to them and they completely choked only taking seven points from the last six games and they ended up missing out on promotion by goal difference to Birmingham

The team, thanks to qprnet.com was:
Woods, Shanks, Gillard, Wicks, Roeder, McCreery, Waddock, Currie, Busby, Goddard, Burke
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 16:40]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

First Away Game on 16:41 - Jun 2 with 887 viewsDWQPR

First Away Game on 16:26 - Jun 2 by MrSheen

My memory says it was Gregory and Sealy. First and only time I went to an away game with my Dad. He didn't have a lot of interest in football, and he didn't much care for policemen either so he never went again. I can only think my Mum forced him into some male bonding. We were sat on the top tier of the East Stand there. Barely a quarter full. Some Rangers fans couldn't contain their glee any longer and a few locals turned round and started climbing the seats to get at them, but they seemed to run out of puff and lose interest long before they got there.

Went to that game and was at the away end, which for the first time I could remember was rammed with Rangers supporters and with plenty more in both the East and West stands, certainly could see how many when we scored. Crowd was around 18,000 and I reckon there was around 10,000 Rangers that afternoon. Remember being kept in and made to watch the groundsman come out on his mower to which we started singing 'One man went to mow'. When the gates eventually opened around the back of the West stand there was a 'leaving committee' waiting for us which quickly dispersed once they realised the numbers that were heading towards them. If memory serves me right it was another Easter Monday. We were going up and they survived relegation to Division Three by the skin of their teeth.

For my first away game, it was subconsciously my first ever game, away at Watford in March 1972. Won 2-0 but I remember little. My first real away game was back at the Bridge, with my Dad and brother. Sat in the West Stand on benches. 1974-75 season and a 3-0 drubbing handed out to the filth who were on their way down that season.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

First Away Game on 16:51 - Jun 2 with 882 viewsCamberleyR

First Away Game on 16:41 - Jun 2 by DWQPR

Went to that game and was at the away end, which for the first time I could remember was rammed with Rangers supporters and with plenty more in both the East and West stands, certainly could see how many when we scored. Crowd was around 18,000 and I reckon there was around 10,000 Rangers that afternoon. Remember being kept in and made to watch the groundsman come out on his mower to which we started singing 'One man went to mow'. When the gates eventually opened around the back of the West stand there was a 'leaving committee' waiting for us which quickly dispersed once they realised the numbers that were heading towards them. If memory serves me right it was another Easter Monday. We were going up and they survived relegation to Division Three by the skin of their teeth.

For my first away game, it was subconsciously my first ever game, away at Watford in March 1972. Won 2-0 but I remember little. My first real away game was back at the Bridge, with my Dad and brother. Sat in the West Stand on benches. 1974-75 season and a 3-0 drubbing handed out to the filth who were on their way down that season.

"We were going up and they survived relegation to Division Three by the skin of their teeth."

Thanks to us giving them three points in the corresponding fixture at LR on the day after Boxing Day. Always rankled that has as the next season they absolutely stormed the division, winning the title. I absolutely believe that had they been relegated to third division that season, along with their ongoing financial troubles they wouldn't have come back from it.

First Away Game on 17:56 - Jun 2 with 838 viewsqpr_1968

Portsmouth 1-3 qpr 1969.

our goalkeeper was an outfield player that day, for the life of me I can't remember who it was.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Login to get fewer ads

First Away Game on 18:02 - Jun 2 with 829 viewsaston_hoop

A 3-0 defeat at Highbury on boxing day 1995 apparently. I remember bits of it, I was in the Arsenal end as my uncle had a season ticket there. I know Merson got 2 and Ian Wright scored the other. I'm pretty sure we had Mark Hateley up front

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

First Away Game on 18:18 - Jun 2 with 812 viewsCamberleyR

First Away Game on 18:02 - Jun 2 by aston_hoop

A 3-0 defeat at Highbury on boxing day 1995 apparently. I remember bits of it, I was in the Arsenal end as my uncle had a season ticket there. I know Merson got 2 and Ian Wright scored the other. I'm pretty sure we had Mark Hateley up front

I was at that one, it was freezing cold and we were absolutely bloody awful, Arsenal barely needed to get out of first gear. After that game was probably the first time I felt we were in serious trouble that season.

We went on to lose the next six straight in the league which was only snapped by the 3-1 win at Hillsborough. The only respite in that run was the cup win at Tranmere.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 18:19]

First Away Game on 18:21 - Jun 2 with 801 viewsNov77

First Away Game on 13:05 - Jun 2 by Esox_Lucius

Birmingham City vs QPR 9th December 1967. We lost 2-0. All I can really remember is just how big the home terrace was at St. Andrews. Trevor Francis may have scored their goals.

Trevor Francis was 13 in 1967!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

First Away Game on 18:35 - Jun 2 with 795 viewswelwynranger

First Away Game on 13:56 - Jun 2 by Airtomoreira

My first game ever:

Nov 29th 1969: Bolton 6 QPR 4

I should have known then what I'd be letting myself in for......

I was there Mick Leach scored in the first minute.
First Away Game on 18:44 - Jun 2 with 790 viewsstevec

First Away Game on 16:06 - Jun 2 by paulparker

Watford away 1985 milk cup round 4 I think
We won 1-0 Johnny Byrne and Barnes missed a pen

Also my wife’s first away game, in fact her only ever game.

She started cheering on Watford in the 2nd half, liked their colours and thought they were unlucky. She won’t be going again.
First Away Game on 18:45 - Jun 2 with 790 viewswelwynranger

Southend away 1963. 9 years old went with my mates dad in his car. Got there early went to the funfare, had a Wimpey and a knickerbocker glory.
Went to the game Rangers won 3- 1. Lazarus scored twice. All the people around me were singing and laughing, I thought this is great fun.
On the way back my mates dad said they are at home next week would you like to come again.I thought every match would be this good.
That was it I was hooked.
What could go wrong
First Away Game on 18:54 - Jun 2 with 777 viewsBoston

First Away Game on 15:03 - Jun 2 by W7Ranger

Why did he (Allen) do that? Was he getting abuse or did he part the club on bad terms or something?

The abuse was loud. I doubt we’ve had a bigger turnout at White Hart Lane than that day.

Spurs may also have been my first trip away, not really sure being more interested in the hot dogs and cokes my mates dad was buying than football. First one with ‘the lads’, Stamford Bridge. Scuffle with a bunch of their kids on the North Stand, some older Rangers told ‘em to sling their hooks etc, we merged.

Edit, wrong not Chelsea, was at the Den before that, fck, now I think about it I was at a couple before Stamford Bridge!
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 19:02]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

First Away Game on 19:00 - Jun 2 with 772 viewsqpr_1968

First Away Game on 13:05 - Jun 2 by Esox_Lucius

Birmingham City vs QPR 9th December 1967. We lost 2-0. All I can really remember is just how big the home terrace was at St. Andrews. Trevor Francis may have scored their goals.

Birmingham scorers that day.....pickering and hazel o.g

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

First Away Game on 19:03 - Jun 2 with 761 viewsThe_Beast1976

Wimbledon at Plough Lane, December 1990. Lost 3-0. We were awful.
First Away Game on 19:09 - Jun 2 with 751 viewsBoston

First Away Game on 16:25 - Jun 2 by marky67

Not remembering the ‘day’ might be because it was an evening fixture. Coooee Konk, sorry for any upset to yer mates in the Hammersmith End😀

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

First Away Game on 20:05 - Jun 2 with 714 viewsHastings_Hoops

First Away Game on 16:04 - Jun 2 by rrrspricey

Don't remember the date but it was 1970 at a very empty looking Valley with my dad. Finished 1 - 1 if memory serves (i was only 5 tbf!)

Vs Southampton at the Dell in the FA Cup straight after the 4-1 win at Man U... didn’t go to plan though did it!

Same old Rangers
First Away Game on 20:28 - Jun 2 with 685 viewsNoDiddley

First Away Game on 20:05 - Jun 2 by Hastings_Hoops

Vs Southampton at the Dell in the FA Cup straight after the 4-1 win at Man U... didn’t go to plan though did it!

Same old Rangers

Ipswich 27.4.1968, me Dad’s mate drove us up there in his Ford Zephyr.
It was the promotion year for both clubs, after the game (2-2) the old man and his mate visited a local Tolly Cobbold hostelry & left me in the car with a lemonade & a packet of crisps.
Them days there was no drink driving old bill about or strange men looking at kids in cars (as far as I can remember) , happy days👍
First Away Game on 22:56 - Jun 2 with 619 viewsHamptonR

My first away game was my first game, Millwall 1973. We were living in south east London at the time, so this was easier to get to than a home game. I had just turned six and a few of my mates were Millwall fans.
Around midday my Dad announced he fancied going to Millwall, I started pleading to go too, I had not been to QPR yet, Dad insisted I was too young.
I would not shut up, eventually my Mum said you ain’t leaving him here, I won’t hear the last of it.
Off we went, saw Rangers win one nil, the highlight for me was seeing my first match, a win, the highlight for my Dad was John O’Rourke sitting next to us.
For years to come he would mention the game to friends and relatives and then ask me to tell them who was sitting next to us, I got it wrong every time.
First Away Game on 23:05 - Jun 2 with 615 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

First Away Game on 20:05 - Jun 2 by Hastings_Hoops

Same old Rangers

Think we had that one won on the train down by the time we reached Clapham Junction!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

First Away Game on 00:04 - Jun 3 with 578 viewsdaveB

If Wembley counts as an away game then 86 final, I think I went to Arsenal away in the mid 80's but might have been them playing Leicester rather than us as my cousin took us. First one i really remember was Charlton away at Selhurst park in 87. We won 1-0, we stood at the top of the terracing behind the goal, I couldn't see a thing and had no idea who scored for us when it went in although was told by those around us it was Dean Coney.

We then went to Liverpool a few weeks later, days after a bad hurricane, I remember seeing trees on the ground in fields as we went up on the train. Had always been told about the great Scouse sense of humour, we arrived and we met by heavy handed police with large batons throwing us on a bus, I waved at an elderly lady at the bus stop who gave us the v sign. Lovely people.

We were top going into that game and lost 4-0. Abiding memories were the number of half eaten pies piled up on the floor as everyone took one bite spat it out and threw it away, the first sight of the Kop which was pretty special for an 11 year old and how bloody good John Barnes was. Also playing cards on the train home and feeling proud to be QPR despite the defeat as we never stopped singing the whole game.
First Away Game on 03:47 - Jun 3 with 548 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Spurs away, April 1979. 1-1

The only things I recall: wonderful sunny day; a bloody long walk from the station to the Lane; and my dad and I going into the Spurs end!

If memory serves, we were relegated that season.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

First Away Game on 07:37 - Jun 3 with 518 viewsEsox_Lucius

First Away Game on 14:45 - Jun 2 by W7Ranger

Bit too early for Trevor Francs isn't it? Didn't he start playing in the 70's?

Possibly, I am thinking of a later game, maybe shortly before we bought him, where we got beat and he scored the goals.

The grass is always greener.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024