Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First Away Game 12:49 - Jun 2 with 5314 viewsslmrstid

Right, lets have some football chat

The club have in the last few days asked people to share their memories of their first home game, so on here how about sharing of memories of your first away trip for the R's? Double kudos if your first away game was also your first QPR game full stop.

My first away game was Wolves v QPR at Molineux in August 1996, at the beginning of the 96/97 season.

Things I can remember (I was 7 at the time so I cant remember a great deal)...
- There being an almighty thunder storm on the way up there in my Dad's car
- Going to a supermarket before the game for food and annoying my Dad by being a fussy child and not really wanting any of the children's food on offer
- Seeing the QPR team arrive, and the back of the program listing Kevin Gallen in the QPR team when we all knew he had just had a huge injury (this was in the days when programs just listed the prior match squad of 14)
- We didn't actually have tickets in the away end, so my Dad bought 2 tickets in the home ticket office, then when in the ground asked a steward if we could move to the away end. I think the fact he had a small child with him helped persuade the steward to walk us around the edge of the pitch and in with the QPR fans.
- I can remember absolutely bugger all of the game itself, although it was the game where Dichio scored that volley from approximately* 45,000 yards out

*Approximations may not be very accurate.

So come on then y'all, spill the beans on your first away day memories!

Fun extra fact, my second, and to date last trip to Molineux, came on the Easter weekend in the 2007/08 season when we drew 3-3, having been 3-2 up until the referee decided to play a ridiculous amount of injury time/until Wolves scored. A bloke behind me was going spare as he had put £10 on Ladbrokes Special Bet A in the away end betting booth of Akos Buzsaky to score the first goal and QPR to win 3-2 at 135/1. Akos did of course open the scoring in that match.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 12:51]
First Away Game on 07:47 - Jun 3 with 1154 viewsWatford_Ranger

1-0 defeat at Blackburn first game of the season mid-nineties.

Can’t remember anything of the game but just looked it up and apparently Tim Flowers was sent off with 20 minutes to go and I’m unreliably informed Shearer dived for the penalty.
First Away Game on 08:05 - Jun 3 with 1133 viewsGuppy

Tottenham away cant remember the year but went with a couple of Spurs mates and ended up sitting in home section = all was going well until Stainrod opened the scoring against the run of play if I remember rightly and I leapt up to celebrate forgetting where I was only to sit back down again quickly as everyone around gave the evil stare - think we lost 3 - 1 in the end
First Away Game on 08:08 - Jun 3 with 1129 viewsSydneyRs

First game not at LR was actually the 82 FA cup final replay. Despite the result enjoyed it hugely. Proper old pre all seater Wembley atmosphere and our fans were brilliant that night. Was hugely proud of our team and fans afterwards, we played a star studded Spurs team off the park but didn't have luck on our side.

First league away game was at Spurs in 83 just after we got promoted. In the seats above the away end. We lost 3-2 and I remember Mike Flanagan getting one of our goals. I recall thinking WHL was really loud and it became a favourite ground. Went to some big Spurs games there with a Spurs mate and also saw QPR play there several times.

First away win was at Highbury not long afterwards. Terry Fenwick and Ian Stewart scoring in a 2-0 win as I recall.
First Away Game on 08:16 - Jun 3 with 1115 viewsHayesender

First Away Game on 08:08 - Jun 3 by SydneyRs

First game not at LR was actually the 82 FA cup final replay. Despite the result enjoyed it hugely. Proper old pre all seater Wembley atmosphere and our fans were brilliant that night. Was hugely proud of our team and fans afterwards, we played a star studded Spurs team off the park but didn't have luck on our side.

First league away game was at Spurs in 83 just after we got promoted. In the seats above the away end. We lost 3-2 and I remember Mike Flanagan getting one of our goals. I recall thinking WHL was really loud and it became a favourite ground. Went to some big Spurs games there with a Spurs mate and also saw QPR play there several times.

First away win was at Highbury not long afterwards. Terry Fenwick and Ian Stewart scoring in a 2-0 win as I recall.

Isn't that the one where about 20 or so rangers kicked off in the north bank?

I was only about 13 at the time, so my memory is hazy at best

Poll: Shamima Beghum

First Away Game (n/t) on 08:35 - Jun 3 with 1096 viewsdutch

First Away Game on 08:16 - Jun 3 by Hayesender

[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 8:40]
First Away Game on 08:38 - Jun 3 with 1088 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Wembley 1986.

The thing I remember most about that day were the staff in the white overalls changing the scoreboard with the huge number plates.

[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 8:41]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

First Away Game on 08:41 - Jun 3 with 1078 viewsdutch

Really need your help. My first away game was at Orient, I was probably 11 0r 12, so 1971 0r 72 maybe later. I went with a load of Herberts and they were prowling the streets of the far east looking for trouble which thankfully never materialised. It might have been a pre-season friendly. Does anybody else remember it?
First Away Game on 08:42 - Jun 3 with 1076 viewsHamptonR

I was on the north bank that day, not one of the brave 20, I went with a Arsenal mate.

When the trouble started a lot of the gooners around us started making all the right noises about what they were going to do to the rangers fans but none of them moved from where they were standing, they were talking a good fight.
Ian Stewart's goal was particularly good, even my Arsenal mate praised it.
Login to get fewer ads

First Away Game on 08:53 - Jun 3 with 1057 viewsqpr_1968

First Away Game on 08:41 - Jun 3 by dutch

Really need your help. My first away game was at Orient, I was probably 11 0r 12, so 1971 0r 72 maybe later. I went with a load of Herberts and they were prowling the streets of the far east looking for trouble which thankfully never materialised. It might have been a pre-season friendly. Does anybody else remember it?

we played orient away in 1971 and 1972, both league games, not sure about any friendlies.
remember both games qpr standing in the orient end, which was the halfway line.

however in the 1974 league cup game which we won 3-0 at their ground, your mates would have had their hands full, plenty of west ham waiting for us outside after the game.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

First Away Game on 09:01 - Jun 3 with 1051 viewsdutch

First Away Game on 08:53 - Jun 3 by qpr_1968

we played orient away in 1971 and 1972, both league games, not sure about any friendlies.
remember both games qpr standing in the orient end, which was the halfway line.

however in the 1974 league cup game which we won 3-0 at their ground, your mates would have had their hands full, plenty of west ham waiting for us outside after the game.

I reckon it was April 71 as in my mind it was sunny and we prowled round after the game for what seemed like hours . i had no idea what was going on, but had somehow allied myself to a mob from Ladbroke Grove who wanted a big day out. I was with a mate called Peter Barker and just stuck religiously by his side.
First Away Game on 09:13 - Jun 3 with 1028 viewsqpr_1968

First Away Game on 09:01 - Jun 3 by dutch

I reckon it was April 71 as in my mind it was sunny and we prowled round after the game for what seemed like hours . i had no idea what was going on, but had somehow allied myself to a mob from Ladbroke Grove who wanted a big day out. I was with a mate called Peter Barker and just stuck religiously by his side.

peter barker....little fellow, blond hair?

First Away Game on 10:16 - Jun 3 with 978 viewsMrSheen

First Away Game on 08:08 - Jun 3 by SydneyRs

I talked a group of lads into driving me down from college to that one, but they wouldn't go in the away end. I seem to remember the home fans breaking into the side pen there. Touchy lot, Spurs.
First Away Game on 10:24 - Jun 3 with 973 viewsWalnut

First Away Game on 03:47 - Jun 3 by PlanetHonneywood

Spurs away, April 1979. 1-1

The only things I recall: wonderful sunny day; a bloody long walk from the station to the Lane; and my dad and I going into the Spurs end!

If memory serves, we were relegated that season.

Blimey, my first away game too! ( did go to Willesden 75 & Watford 76)
I went in the seats above the away fans, not too hostile (edit) up there, able to celebrate our goal. As mentioned, we were on our way to relegation so we needed wins all the way. Shown on the Big Match on Sunday afternoon.
As an aside, we only filled that first big section that day. When we came back up in 83/84, we jammed all 4 sections at that end stretching the whole width of the pitch
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 11:19]
First Away Game on 10:34 - Jun 3 with 952 viewsMrSheen

First Away Game on 10:24 - Jun 3 by Walnut

Blimey, my first away game too! ( did go to Willesden 75 & Watford 76)
I went in the seats above the away fans, not too hostile (edit) up there, able to celebrate our goal. As mentioned, we were on our way to relegation so we needed wins all the way. Shown on the Big Match on Sunday afternoon.
As an aside, we only filled that first big section that day. When we came back up in 83/84, we jammed all 4 sections at that end stretching the whole width of the pitch
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 11:19]

" fairly gentile up there"

Steady, now.
First Away Game on 11:18 - Jun 3 with 936 viewsWalnut

First Away Game on 10:34 - Jun 3 by MrSheen

" fairly gentile up there"

Steady, now.

Blimey, I'm mid 50s & just learnt the proper meaning of that. Best I edit it!!
First Away Game on 11:28 - Jun 3 with 920 viewsSydneyRs

Yes it was. I remember the left hand side of the North Bank, viewed from the away end, scattered. Our lot got taken down to our end to quite a bit of applause as I remember.

I remember being pretty excited seeing us win away at a proper big club. I was 13 at the time too.
First Away Game on 11:41 - Jun 3 with 904 viewsqprxtc

First away game was 1978/79 season at the kings road shite. We won 3-1, my dad took me and we stood in the shed and kept quiet. Didn’t like the place at all and though we won was glad to get out of there.

I think the first time I stood on the away end there was the 2-0 win in 82/83. First time I recall us taking a big following there.

I remember that Arsenal game in 83/84. Brilliant goal from Stewart and the first time I’d seen Rangers fans try to take a home end (Watford and Fulham don’t count!).

The next season Arsenal did the same in the Loft. Got caught right in the middle of it all. They all legged it up to the Upper Loft.

Them were the days.
First Away Game on 11:49 - Jun 3 with 886 viewsstowmarketrange

First Away Game on 08:42 - Jun 3 by HamptonR

I was on the north bank that day, not one of the brave 20, I went with a Arsenal mate.

When the trouble started a lot of the gooners around us started making all the right noises about what they were going to do to the rangers fans but none of them moved from where they were standing, they were talking a good fight.
Ian Stewart's goal was particularly good, even my Arsenal mate praised it.

I remember a few of their fans got done at the league cup semi final replay at Highbury in 1977.There were fans of almost every London club on the north bank that night and a few gooners got a bit mouthy.
First Away Game on 15:30 - Jun 3 with 807 viewsdutch

First Away Game on 09:13 - Jun 3 by qpr_1968

peter barker....little fellow, blond hair?

Yep. We were Rangers mates for a while lived on the same estate. Haven't seen Peter for 40 years always wondered what happened to him.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 15:36]
First Away Game on 15:37 - Jun 3 with 792 viewsqpr_1968

First Away Game on 15:30 - Jun 3 by dutch

Yep. We were Rangers mates for a while lived on the same estate. Haven't seen Peter for 40 years always wondered what happened to him.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 15:36]

most of the games home and away in the 70's, peter was always there.
see him regular in the 80's,and 90's, he used to bring his kid/s then
think he still goes, haven't seen him for a few years though.

First Away Game on 09:56 - Jun 4 with 717 viewsterryb

My first Rangers game was away to Leyton Orient or Orient in 1967 (can't remember if they were usimg Leyton in the name back then). A 0-0 draw not long atfter the League Cup win & the last match before Rodney got married!

It's only from memory, but I would say that half of the crowd were Rangers fans!
First Away Game on 09:58 - Jun 4 with 717 viewsterryb

First Away Game on 17:56 - Jun 2 by qpr_1968

Portsmouth 1-3 qpr 1969.

our goalkeeper was an outfield player that day, for the life of me I can't remember who it was.

I loved that game, apart from the Pompey fans trying to get at us!

Ian Watson went in goal when Mike Kelly went off injured & Gerry Francis scored in his first start for us.
First Away Game on 10:04 - Jun 4 with 707 viewsterryb

First Away Game on 20:28 - Jun 2 by NoDiddley

Ipswich 27.4.1968, me Dad’s mate drove us up there in his Ford Zephyr.
It was the promotion year for both clubs, after the game (2-2) the old man and his mate visited a local Tolly Cobbold hostelry & left me in the car with a lemonade & a packet of crisps.
Them days there was no drink driving old bill about or strange men looking at kids in cars (as far as I can remember) , happy days👍

"but, I couldn't get a ticket for the game"!

My brother & his mate went while I had to stay at home. In fact, I played that day & vividly remember on the way home hearing on the car radio that Mick Leach had equallised in the last minute. I had a headache from where my head thumped against the roof of the car!

Ipswich had tried to only give us a minimal number of tickets but were forced to let us have circa 5,000.

I moved to Ipswich in '74 & worked for Tolly Cobbold for ten years, getting to know Patrick Cobbold & Lord Timothy Tollemache very well.
First Away Game on 12:06 - Jun 4 with 674 viewsDevonWhite

Luton 1-2 QPR in Feb 1991, aged 8

Second was the 1-0 win at Coventry to go top of the league in 1992. Good times.

The third was a 1-0 win at Villa where Ferdinand scored a late winner:

Inexplicably, especially given the away end is clearly not sold out, my Dad decided to get the two of tickets on the Holte End for that one. He told me not to cheer if we scored, but I was ten years old and we scored a last minute winner so obviously I did. Remember him hurriedly dragging me out of the ground while loads of furious Brummies swore at us.
First Away Game on 12:10 - Jun 4 with 672 viewssmegma

1st Dec 1973 Elland Rd. A friend of my dad said he’d take me. We went in his works vehicle. It was a brewery lorry. Would have been quicker in a milk float. No heating in the cab. Me and my mate huddled under some bit of tarpaulin. That week Shoot ! magazine had an article about Leeds having the tallest floodlights In the football league. The only thing I remember was we had a goal disallowed so should have won 3-2 and I think we wore red. I also recall spending most of the game just staring at the tallest floodlights in the world. As tall as Everest I reckoned.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024