Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London 07:18 - Jun 12 with 8054 viewsPatfromPoole

Could be lively this weekend.

Looks like a few football lads will he going up to defend Churchill’s statue with more BLM protests planned.

Should be a sunny weekend, this may not end well at all.....

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

London on 11:09 - Jun 12 with 1291 views1885_SFC

London on 10:29 - Jun 12 by solent_toffee

Totally agree.

I listened to five live a few days ago and there was a guest on who wanted to see all statues, street names etc relating to Queen Victoria taken down and changed. This was along with a whole host of tv programmes and films, that it became clear when being challenged by a counter argument guest, that she’d never heard of until a few hours beforehand, but was now completely outraged and offended by. It’s become an unbelievably dangerous parody.

I lived and worked in Warrington for years. For reasons that escape me the town is linked to Oliver Cromwell and there are lots of street names and statues named after him. I was raised a Catholic so on paper/history, Cromwell could have been seen as someone who could Catholic’s could take offence by, but it would be madness to even think about taking the statue etc. It’s history, it happened, we are where we are and thats that, learn from it and move forward. Airbrushing history is a very dangerous precedent.

Far too sensible a post for this forum Toffee. Get off here. Go on...

Old School is Cool

London on 11:14 - Jun 12 with 1275 viewsWints76

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't want a Tory Govt, and really can't see why people are so desperate for Brexit*, but that's the way it is, and I will enjoy moaning about them as I do anything 😇

One thing though, I had never heard of the Bristol fella and so it is good when people at least discuss these things, and my eldest son had no idea there was another side to Churchill as he had never been taught that, so it is good that people may look deeper in to things. It is when they start tearing things down for their opinion, even when justified, that things get awkward

*am not going to moan or engage about it here either
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 11:16]
London on 11:33 - Jun 12 with 1252 viewssolent_toffee

London on 11:14 - Jun 12 by Wints76

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't want a Tory Govt, and really can't see why people are so desperate for Brexit*, but that's the way it is, and I will enjoy moaning about them as I do anything 😇

One thing though, I had never heard of the Bristol fella and so it is good when people at least discuss these things, and my eldest son had no idea there was another side to Churchill as he had never been taught that, so it is good that people may look deeper in to things. It is when they start tearing things down for their opinion, even when justified, that things get awkward

*am not going to moan or engage about it here either
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 11:16]

Have you been to the slave museum in Liverpool? It’s fantastic, extremely thought provoking, educational, graphic with no hiding place or excuses for what happened in the past.
London on 11:39 - Jun 12 with 1241 viewsSadoldgit

London on 11:08 - Jun 12 by JaySaint

many are hijacking the BLM movement for their own ends.
Probably the same far-left lunatics that can't accept a Troy Govt (probably not even a Starmer govt). Can't accept Brexit and can't accept they are not getting their own way.

horrible

I think that you are right that some people are getting involved to further their own agendas, which is a huge shame because it is taking the focus off of what we should be talking about. I don’t think we can make assumptions about their motives without hard proof though. You label them as loony left. How do you know that there aren’t some right wing agitators getting involved to try and discredit the BLM movement? We have seen it happening in America. Or some people might just get involved because they like violence or just like to disrupt peaceful demonstrations. I am not saying that all legitimate protestors are as pure as the driven snow, but it is dangerous to make assumptions about other people’s motives.
London on 11:42 - Jun 12 with 1242 viewsdarthvader

London on 09:35 - Jun 12 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Exactly - that's why I laughed!

All these little groups of people "lads against transphobia", "lads against mooslims", "lads against Tories", "lads against the lefties", "lads against the BBC", "football lads against HS2"

Just makes me chuckle. I'm starting my own if you want to join? "Lads who are quite moderate and easy going but laugh at the other groups, alliance"

Could i join please ? id be a good member

keep the faith coyr

London on 11:42 - Jun 12 with 1242 viewsWints76

London on 11:33 - Jun 12 by solent_toffee

Have you been to the slave museum in Liverpool? It’s fantastic, extremely thought provoking, educational, graphic with no hiding place or excuses for what happened in the past.

I haven't, but have been to the part of the city where there are things like pineapples on the railings that signified the slave trade. The tour guide didn't hide away from telling us.

Also, outside the Olypicstadion in Berlin, there are loads of Nazi sculptures, the decision there was to leave them up as they are part of the history. Berlin, and Germany as a whole, have shown how to learn from and acknowledge their past.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 11:50]
London on 11:47 - Jun 12 with 1235 viewsthissceptredsaint

London on 08:28 - Jun 12 by Ron11

So to defend a statue from left wing anarchy springs from ignorance and fear and is stupid?
Sounds like a communist diktat to me.

This post doesn't make sense is it a p#ss take?

I don't really regard anarchy as particularly left wing. I mean if you regard Stalin as left wing (which some people don't you may be surprised to hear) then he was the furthest you could get from an anarchist. Well at least from 1918 onwards. Dictators come in all flavours

I love libraries. You find books there and learn things
London on 11:49 - Jun 12 with 1229 viewssaint22

London on 11:47 - Jun 12 by thissceptredsaint

This post doesn't make sense is it a p#ss take?

I don't really regard anarchy as particularly left wing. I mean if you regard Stalin as left wing (which some people don't you may be surprised to hear) then he was the furthest you could get from an anarchist. Well at least from 1918 onwards. Dictators come in all flavours

I love libraries. You find books there and learn things

well said that man

Libraries gave us power
Then work came and made us free
What price now for a shallow piece of dignity
I wish I had a bottle
Right here in my dirty face to wear the scars
To show from where I came
We don't talk about love we only want to get drunk
And we are not allowed to spend
As we are told that this is the end
Login to get fewer ads

London on 11:56 - Jun 12 with 1217 viewsBison

London on 11:49 - Jun 12 by saint22

well said that man

Libraries gave us power
Then work came and made us free
What price now for a shallow piece of dignity
I wish I had a bottle
Right here in my dirty face to wear the scars
To show from where I came
We don't talk about love we only want to get drunk
And we are not allowed to spend
As we are told that this is the end

I always thought you were a bit manic S22

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

London on 12:06 - Jun 12 with 1199 viewssaint22

London on 11:56 - Jun 12 by Bison

I always thought you were a bit manic S22

indeed I am
London on 12:17 - Jun 12 with 1186 viewsPatfromPoole

I see that BLM have now cancelled their Hyde Park protests.....

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-12/black-lives-matter-protest-called-off-over-f

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

London on 12:41 - Jun 12 with 1169 viewssaint22

London on 12:17 - Jun 12 by PatfromPoole

I see that BLM have now cancelled their Hyde Park protests.....

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-12/black-lives-matter-protest-called-off-over-f

unbelievable, is this really 2020?
London on 12:42 - Jun 12 with 1169 viewsSaintsforeverj

So the authorities have taken down various tv programs, taken down statues, we are now pretending that parts of British history didn't happen and characters from the past didn't say certain things. After 60 years of laughing to Fawlty Towers, we now need to pretend we didn't find it funny. Add to that, we already have stringent human rights laws, that makes racism an arrestable offence and is strictly enforced in football grounds ( and rightly so) etc.

But the protesters are returning to London because the above is not enough? What other laws could we have?
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 12:50]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

London on 12:53 - Jun 12 with 1143 viewsBoris_

Please tell me someone has hacked his account. Has he really called people who don't want our war memorials being vandalised 'far right extremists' without even acknowledging last weekends violence from those on the left?

We are going to end up with a race war, caused by politicians driving a divide between the right and the left.

Poll: Claude Puel

London on 12:57 - Jun 12 with 1135 viewsSadoldgit

London on 12:41 - Jun 12 by saint22

unbelievable, is this really 2020?

Probably the most responsible thing to do given that the likes of Tommy Robinson were looking for an excuse for a punch up. All we would be talking about next week would be the violence again. The narrative needs to stay on the issue of racial equality and that can be done without another protest.
London on 13:13 - Jun 12 with 1114 viewssolent_toffee

London on 12:42 - Jun 12 by Saintsforeverj

So the authorities have taken down various tv programs, taken down statues, we are now pretending that parts of British history didn't happen and characters from the past didn't say certain things. After 60 years of laughing to Fawlty Towers, we now need to pretend we didn't find it funny. Add to that, we already have stringent human rights laws, that makes racism an arrestable offence and is strictly enforced in football grounds ( and rightly so) etc.

But the protesters are returning to London because the above is not enough? What other laws could we have?
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 12:50]

Taking down Fawlty Towers is an attack on Sybil liberties.
London on 13:18 - Jun 12 with 1106 viewsWints76

London on 13:13 - Jun 12 by solent_toffee

London on 13:20 - Jun 12 with 1105 viewssainti

London on 12:53 - Jun 12 by Boris_

Please tell me someone has hacked his account. Has he really called people who don't want our war memorials being vandalised 'far right extremists' without even acknowledging last weekends violence from those on the left?

We are going to end up with a race war, caused by politicians driving a divide between the right and the left.

Did you see those 'counter-protests' by the Baden-Powell statue in Poole? Clearly those far-right pensioners were hell-bent on provoking violence, fascists!
London on 13:23 - Jun 12 with 1090 viewsBoris_

London on 13:20 - Jun 12 by sainti

Did you see those 'counter-protests' by the Baden-Powell statue in Poole? Clearly those far-right pensioners were hell-bent on provoking violence, fascists!

I honestly wonder what the world is going to be like in 30-40 years time and am genuinely fearful of getting old and relying on the generation behind to look after us.

The generation coming through is creating a culture with no sense of humour and no tolerance or empathy for anything, whilst having absolutely no backbone or worth ethic and expecting everything handed to them on a plate.

Poll: Claude Puel

London on 13:29 - Jun 12 with 1082 viewssainti

London on 13:23 - Jun 12 by Boris_

I honestly wonder what the world is going to be like in 30-40 years time and am genuinely fearful of getting old and relying on the generation behind to look after us.

The generation coming through is creating a culture with no sense of humour and no tolerance or empathy for anything, whilst having absolutely no backbone or worth ethic and expecting everything handed to them on a plate.

I'll probably be dead then anyway.
London on 13:31 - Jun 12 with 1075 viewsSadoldgit

London on 13:23 - Jun 12 by Boris_

No empathy? It is people like you who have no empathy. Not for a BLM, not for teachers. The BLM movement is all about empathy. I have three millennial daughters who understand what this current movement is all about more than you ever will. No sense of humour? If that means not laughing at others to make yourself more superior, then maybe that is not such a bad thing. My kids do have a sense of humour, they just laugh at different things than my generation, which in some cases is no bad thing.
London on 14:13 - Jun 12 with 1040 viewsSaintsforeverj

London on 13:13 - Jun 12 by solent_toffee

Absolutely. The major wouldn't be happy.

London on 14:18 - Jun 12 with 1035 viewsSaintsforeverj

London on 13:31 - Jun 12 by Sadoldgit

No empathy? It is people like you who have no empathy. Not for a BLM, not for teachers. The BLM movement is all about empathy. I have three millennial daughters who understand what this current movement is all about more than you ever will. No sense of humour? If that means not laughing at others to make yourself more superior, then maybe that is not such a bad thing. My kids do have a sense of humour, they just laugh at different things than my generation, which in some cases is no bad thing.

Humour seems to have disappeared. People are very sensitive.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 14:20]

London on 14:20 - Jun 12 with 1031 viewsSaintsforeverj

I hope for tonight's Friday songs, we have Young, gifted and black. We must all have it blaring through our houses and we must all sing along to it.

London on 14:23 - Jun 12 with 1027 viewsfranniesTache

Call me a cynic but i think this is a good summary of the fawlty towers stuff...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024