Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dragging it back to football - Prem managers 11:53 - Dec 9 with 2669 viewsAntti_Heinola

There's clearly a small percentage of QPR fans at the moment who would probably get rid of Warbs. I'm still firmly in the 'in' camp, but I'm always one of the last to fold, and I tend to find that when I do fold, the manager is not long in following (exception being Redknapp, who I would've have fired after 5 minutes). So here's an experiment. You are the Chairman/Owner of us and all the Prem clubs. As of now, which of these clubs would you sack the manager from?

Extra question on Southampton:
Clearly, no one is going to suggest sacking Hassenhuttl. But would you have sacked him on 9th Nov last year? That would have followed 6 losses in 7, including a 9-0 thrashing at home to Leicester and a 4-1 thrashing at home to Chelsea, and only two league wins all season, against the mighty Brighton and Sheff Utd. They were second bottom with 8 points from 12 games.
Now look at them. Anyone got the guts to say they would've ditched the Hass? Hand on heart, I would have been a game or two away.

For me, I would ditch Solskjaer if I could get Poch. I'd have an itchy trigger finger on Arteta. I don't think Scott Parker is up to it, but I'd stick as I don't think they'd get better and I think he'll grow as a manager. Would anyone get rid of wilder?

QPR

Spurs
Liverpool
Chelsea
Leicester
Southampton
Man U
Man C
West Ham
Everton
Wolves
Palace
Villa
Newcastle
Leeds
Arsenal
Brighton
Fulham
Burnley
WBA
Sheff U

Bare bones.

Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 13:52 - Dec 9 with 864 viewsSimonJames

I think the season is too weird to be sacking anybody. Give them a chance at a transfer window and 6-7 games in front of real crowds before making that decision.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 13:59 - Dec 9 with 856 viewsTheChef

Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 12:57 - Dec 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think in general Managers get too much praise when things go right and too much scorn when they go wrong.

Only managers at the very extreme ends of talent (Jurgen Klopp / Paul Hart) really make a huge 'buck in trend' difference. I love Warnock for what he did for us but there was dozens of managers that would have taken that squad up. Equally, that side that Ramsey had was more destined for the drop than the Titanic.

That said, i think managers need to be the right fit. I like both Holloway and Warburton but I don't think they would have been able to manager each other's squads for example.

Best thing the club can do is get the training, youth, and stadium facilities into the 21st century. That will have more of a positive impact than almost any managerial appointment.

As for your list, none of them to be honest.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 12:58]

Hmmm you say that about Warnock but I think very few managers would have given Adel the time of day. Warnock clearly saw him as the match winner and then did a very good job of getting grafters/leaders in and around him and managed them all very well whenever Adel put noses out of joint.

We had a good quality squad that season, but I don't know whether many other managers would have got us promoted.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 14:07 - Dec 9 with 846 viewsdenhamhoop2

I look at this way who has a squad massively under achieving with the talent at their disposal so no chance of sacking Wilder he is trying to win Premiership games with McBurnie as his centre forward(he is back up to Dykes for Scotland)
So Ollie at United for me I think anyone else would've been long gone. Compare the money he had to spend and the time given for him against David Moyes(His major summer signing was Felliani)
The other manager I would be considering pushing out the door is Steve Bruce but that's more because I cannot stand him and his smug face
Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 14:10 - Dec 9 with 839 viewsW7Ranger

Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 12:57 - Dec 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think in general Managers get too much praise when things go right and too much scorn when they go wrong.

Only managers at the very extreme ends of talent (Jurgen Klopp / Paul Hart) really make a huge 'buck in trend' difference. I love Warnock for what he did for us but there was dozens of managers that would have taken that squad up. Equally, that side that Ramsey had was more destined for the drop than the Titanic.

That said, i think managers need to be the right fit. I like both Holloway and Warburton but I don't think they would have been able to manager each other's squads for example.

Best thing the club can do is get the training, youth, and stadium facilities into the 21st century. That will have more of a positive impact than almost any managerial appointment.

As for your list, none of them to be honest.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 12:58]

Yeah not sure about the Warnock bit.

That team was assembled perfectly by Warnock. He knew what he wanted and what he needed and he got it.

Had we got someone else instead of Warnock, would they have get Adel to sign (and make him captain). Would they have got Hill, Derry and Kenny? Unlikely. That was a Warnock team full of players that Warnock knew and trusted.

Brilliant management, knowledge and know how imo.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 14:11]
Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 14:15 - Dec 9 with 826 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

On Warnock, I guess we’ll never know but ultimately we had the largest wages and transfer kitty by a long, long chalk at our disposal. That financial firepower even got a Redknapp team promoted.

Granted, Warnock has done it with clubs with a lot less so perhaps it was a bad example by me.

[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 14:19]
Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 14:17 - Dec 9 with 814 viewsfrancisbowles

Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 13:47 - Dec 9 by Antti_Heinola

nope - that was the play-off losing season ;)

So, hopefully I have finally got it. There was a two year gap between losing to Vauxhall and winning seven in a row?
Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 14:21 - Dec 9 with 799 viewsrobith

I have a lot of pals who are Utd fans and I told them at the time appointing Ole was a mistake cos if it's a flash in the pan you're left coating off a club legend.

That's where they are. They all know Poch would improve the team but none of them want to be the one that says "pull the trigger on Ole"
Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 14:24 - Dec 9 with 791 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 14:21 - Dec 9 by robith

I have a lot of pals who are Utd fans and I told them at the time appointing Ole was a mistake cos if it's a flash in the pan you're left coating off a club legend.

That's where they are. They all know Poch would improve the team but none of them want to be the one that says "pull the trigger on Ole"

This is my fear about a Ainsworth return, and why I thought Holloway the sequel was a bad idea.
Login to get fewer ads

Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 14:41 - Dec 9 with 745 viewsWegerles_Stairs

I think it's fine sacking someone if you have a decent replacement lined up. Let's face it, that's not happening here, whatever the pros and cons of Warburton. Plus to assess a manager's performance, there has to be a strategy in place with clearly defined objectives and expectations. Again, that's unlikely to be occurring in our case.

As for the Premier League clubs, United is the obvious one, particularly if you've got someone like Pochettino lined up. The clubs in and around the relegation zone have the most difficult decisions to make, as most of them have just come up, and of the others, those like Wilder probably deserve more time to turn things around. If I were Palace, I'd be working out my succession strategy for Hodgson too. Newcastle are probably similar to us in that there doesn't appear to be any long-term plan bar existing in the lower reaches of the division for eternity.
Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 15:00 - Dec 9 with 697 viewsAntti_Heinola

Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 14:17 - Dec 9 by francisbowles

So, hopefully I have finally got it. There was a two year gap between losing to Vauxhall and winning seven in a row?

You've nailed it mate ;)

Bare bones.

Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 15:01 - Dec 9 with 696 viewsrsonist

Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 14:41 - Dec 9 by Wegerles_Stairs

I think it's fine sacking someone if you have a decent replacement lined up. Let's face it, that's not happening here, whatever the pros and cons of Warburton. Plus to assess a manager's performance, there has to be a strategy in place with clearly defined objectives and expectations. Again, that's unlikely to be occurring in our case.

As for the Premier League clubs, United is the obvious one, particularly if you've got someone like Pochettino lined up. The clubs in and around the relegation zone have the most difficult decisions to make, as most of them have just come up, and of the others, those like Wilder probably deserve more time to turn things around. If I were Palace, I'd be working out my succession strategy for Hodgson too. Newcastle are probably similar to us in that there doesn't appear to be any long-term plan bar existing in the lower reaches of the division for eternity.

Ollie, McClaren, Warburton weren't exactly flavours of the month. I don't think it's fair to say there weren't hired (and fired) strategically, they're three variations on a theme.
Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 15:17 - Dec 9 with 670 viewsphilc

Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 14:41 - Dec 9 by Wegerles_Stairs

These are pretty much the comments I was going to make. I think you can tell, after a run of results, whether a change of Manager is needed. It doesn’t always mean that the out going Manager is bad sometimes things go stale and a new man is needed to freshen things up. All Managers / coaches have a natural life span, something they understand more in Europe where successful Managers often move on after a few years.

Need to look at the situation whether things are getting better or worse and also the availability of alternatives. I would make a change at Utd as Pochettino is available, whether it is fair on the current guy or not, simply because it would be an improvement and when Utd are ready he might not be available.
Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 17:07 - Dec 10 with 581 viewsOldPedro

Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 14:07 - Dec 9 by denhamhoop2

I look at this way who has a squad massively under achieving with the talent at their disposal so no chance of sacking Wilder he is trying to win Premiership games with McBurnie as his centre forward(he is back up to Dykes for Scotland)
So Ollie at United for me I think anyone else would've been long gone. Compare the money he had to spend and the time given for him against David Moyes(His major summer signing was Felliani)
The other manager I would be considering pushing out the door is Steve Bruce but that's more because I cannot stand him and his smug face

I think Wilder is a good manager but not sure about his ability in the transfer market in the Premier League. He spent nearly 20 million on McBurnie, not to mention buying the goalkeeper, Ramsdale for 18 million having sold him 3 years ago for 1 million.

And never understand why he spent 5 million on Luke Freeman and then never really gave him a chance to prove himself.

I'd sack Steve Bruce for the same reason too

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 08:24 - Dec 11 with 478 viewsrobith

Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 17:07 - Dec 10 by OldPedro

I think Wilder is a good manager but not sure about his ability in the transfer market in the Premier League. He spent nearly 20 million on McBurnie, not to mention buying the goalkeeper, Ramsdale for 18 million having sold him 3 years ago for 1 million.

And never understand why he spent 5 million on Luke Freeman and then never really gave him a chance to prove himself.

I'd sack Steve Bruce for the same reason too

For me the biggest sin about Ramsdale is Martinez was available for 2m more
Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 09:56 - Dec 11 with 439 viewsMedwayR

I think the problems at Utd and Arsenal go beyond the manager and come down to the owners.

If you look at the top end of the premier league - Liverpool, City, chelsea, Leicester, Spurs even Southampton at the moment - they all have owners who have a clear strategy and know what they want to achieve and how. Utd and Arsenal on the other hand have owners who don't know football, are only in it for the money and don't lead in the same way.

Utd have had Van Gaal, Mourinho (both proven top level managers) and now Solksjaer and none of them have had much success, I can't see Pochettino succeeding there either, Pochettino's success has come at well run clubs. Arsenal have had Emery (proven top level manager) and now Arteta and again little success, I can't see a new manager changing that.

Poll: Who’s better?

Dragging it back to football - Prem managers on 20:18 - Dec 12 with 363 viewsTGRRRSSS

The top managers who can adapt and change etc to circumstances and develop the systems and push and move people in such a way as to envelope success will always be there.

Warnock is a good example of this for instance.

Of course it doesn't mean you'll win everything all the time but you will manage relative success according to the size of club or whatever.

The idea ANYONE will succeed with certain individuals is a nonsense in my book.

1 bad apple always sours the bucket and an incompetent or poor coach will not get the best regardless of his personnel

I give you Ian Foster as a example going forward..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024