Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes -- What Am I Missing 18:43 - Dec 19 with 5566 viewsDylanP

I really do not see anything in Dykes. Each week the commentary team moan about lack of service to him. But there always seems to be 5+ crosses into dangerous areas where there is no striker within 15 yards. He doesn't do hold up play well, he isn't good with his head, doesn't get on the end of crosses, he is not a poacher, he doesn't rip them into the top corner for 20 yards out, and he is not one for going on tricky runs and then slotting them in. What else does he bring to the team apart from being a good penalty taker?

What is the point of Dykes? Maybe Nick and Andy are right that he isn't getting good service, but if he isn't getting the right kind of service at this point in the season (and I have no idea what sort of service would suit a striker who likes to hide) then maybe he isn't right for our set-up

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Dykes -- What Am I Missing on 17:00 - Dec 20 with 804 viewsNov77

Dykes -- What Am I Missing on 16:26 - Dec 20 by johncharles

Strikers can’t make goals on their own. A top class striker will convert a high proportion of chances but how many chances does this team produce ? How many chances does Dykes get per match ?
Not nearly enough I’d say.

Sorry but that is nonsense, great strikers create their own chances. Lost count of the amount times Clive Allen would score a goal out of nothing, his goal away to West Ham being a prime example.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Dykes -- What Am I Missing on 17:22 - Dec 20 with 766 viewsNortholt_Rs

Dykes -- What Am I Missing on 17:00 - Dec 20 by Nov77

Sorry but that is nonsense, great strikers create their own chances. Lost count of the amount times Clive Allen would score a goal out of nothing, his goal away to West Ham being a prime example.

Dykes is no Clive Allen....

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Dykes -- What Am I Missing on 17:37 - Dec 20 with 749 viewsswisscottage

Allen was a once in a generation striker. Its unfair to compare.

Last season Hugill had Manning putting in quality crosses, this season there is very little quality from the full backs and zero crossing from our so called wingers.

I was hopeful with Nico, in one match he put in a succession of quality crosses, and he shows glimpses, but he's not consistent enough atm. It may be more a confidence thing, as I can see the confide draining match by match from the whole team. With each game where we pull a defeat from a draw or a draw from a victory, the body language gets worse.
Dykes -- What Am I Missing on 17:40 - Dec 20 with 741 viewsNov77

Dykes -- What Am I Missing on 17:37 - Dec 20 by swisscottage

Allen was a once in a generation striker. Its unfair to compare.

Last season Hugill had Manning putting in quality crosses, this season there is very little quality from the full backs and zero crossing from our so called wingers.

I was hopeful with Nico, in one match he put in a succession of quality crosses, and he shows glimpses, but he's not consistent enough atm. It may be more a confidence thing, as I can see the confide draining match by match from the whole team. With each game where we pull a defeat from a draw or a draw from a victory, the body language gets worse.

Nobody is comparing him to Allen. The point is if you’re a decent striker you can create chances for yourself. You can do it with skill, pace, power, heading ability etc.
Dykes seems to need the ball put on a plate for him right in front of goal, and even then his finishing is not clinical.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2020 17:43]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Dykes -- What Am I Missing on 19:51 - Dec 20 with 686 viewsPastCaringNW2

Dykes -- What Am I Missing on 17:40 - Dec 20 by Nov77

Nobody is comparing him to Allen. The point is if you’re a decent striker you can create chances for yourself. You can do it with skill, pace, power, heading ability etc.
Dykes seems to need the ball put on a plate for him right in front of goal, and even then his finishing is not clinical.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2020 17:43]

If he scores just three times in the Euros (which is not hard to imagine given the service he gets from their wide players) then plenty of clubs will come in and the price will go above £15m.

From a cynical perspective it does not matter one bit how he plays for us from here to May if he performs in the tournament. His whole future rests on what happens next summer and that in turn potentially secures the club's finances for another season plus.
Dykes -- What Am I Missing on 19:56 - Dec 20 with 674 viewsNov77

Dykes -- What Am I Missing on 19:51 - Dec 20 by PastCaringNW2

If he scores just three times in the Euros (which is not hard to imagine given the service he gets from their wide players) then plenty of clubs will come in and the price will go above £15m.

From a cynical perspective it does not matter one bit how he plays for us from here to May if he performs in the tournament. His whole future rests on what happens next summer and that in turn potentially secures the club's finances for another season plus.

Jeez, if dykes goes for £15m in the summer then this country will have suffered Zimbabwe style inflation

Dykes -- What Am I Missing on 12:00 - Dec 22 with 491 viewsHastings_Hoops

Dykes -- What Am I Missing on 12:32 - Dec 20 by karl

Agree with your analysis on the whole atm Nix, one thing I was interested in was how quiet MW appears to be on his ice box.
My recollection of last season was him very vocal and barking out instructions, hearing him even when a crowd in the ground, with the ground empty I thought we'd hear him constantly but it doesn't look like it's been the case?
When you were at the game was it very quiet from the bench?
I know someone compared us to Huddersfield (I think) and how flat our management were, is this to do with his knee issues and it's knocked him confidence wise?

IMHO our reliance on a disinterested BOS is the problem and we are therefore setting up around BOS’ strengths (which he has no interest in exercising) and not Dykes’.

Drop BOS, switch to 3-5-2 with Kelman, Bonne, Willock, Chair or Uncs playing off of Dyles and hey presto.

Dieng
Masterson, Dickie, Barbet
Kane/Kakay, Carol, Chair, Ball/Betache, Willock/Hameleinen
Dykes, Kelman/Bonne
Dykes -- What Am I Missing on 12:23 - Dec 22 with 475 viewsMedwayR

Dykes -- What Am I Missing on 12:00 - Dec 22 by Hastings_Hoops

IMHO our reliance on a disinterested BOS is the problem and we are therefore setting up around BOS’ strengths (which he has no interest in exercising) and not Dykes’.

Drop BOS, switch to 3-5-2 with Kelman, Bonne, Willock, Chair or Uncs playing off of Dyles and hey presto.

Dieng
Masterson, Dickie, Barbet
Kane/Kakay, Carol, Chair, Ball/Betache, Willock/Hameleinen
Dykes, Kelman/Bonne

I think a 3-4-1-2 would be interesting and worth a try, my only concern would be a lack of width as Hamalainen/Kakay aren't the best going forward and delivering crosses and I wouldn't want someone like Willock doing defensive work. But as I said, worth a go.

Poll: Who’s better?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024