Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con 12:15 - Feb 16 with 5048 views2Thomas2Bowles

I was in a foster home at the time.

I remember it well as I use to get 3 Shillings and 6d pocket money.

The conversion was 17 and a half P
But they would only give us 17P said it was too much of a fuffle or some other worded excuse.

I still think I should sue for the great distress inflicted.
I still have nightmares about it.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 21:25 - Feb 16 with 1178 views2Thomas2Bowles

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 21:24 - Feb 16 by The_Beast1976

I was only joking, but deleted anyway 👍
[Post edited 16 Feb 2021 21:25]

Thanks

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 22:03 - Feb 16 with 1154 viewsjohann28

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 19:42 - Feb 16 by MrSheen

Cough, cough, an increase of 8d, surely? 240d = 100p, so 12d = 5p.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2021 19:43]

Yup, you're right. I was rounding it up to 10, which says everything...
50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 08:55 - Feb 17 with 1077 viewsphilc

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 20:04 - Feb 16 by Hayesender

As someone born in Jan 71, I've never known any different, but why did they change it?

It was in preparation to join the EEC (EU) the same as why we moved to metric weights. After all these years I still struggle with them and kilometres instead of miles.

Maybe now we should change back, that would really confuse things
50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 09:38 - Feb 17 with 1055 views2Thomas2Bowles

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 08:55 - Feb 17 by philc

It was in preparation to join the EEC (EU) the same as why we moved to metric weights. After all these years I still struggle with them and kilometres instead of miles.

We never changed fully to Km on the roads in speed or distance, even cars still show miles or both after 56 years beginning in 1965.

And we still ask and get a Pint of beer.

Most tape measures have both but most material is sold in metric.

I still don't like food, like meat, being in metic weight.

In my minds eye, I can "see" what 10ft square looks like

0.92903SQM and I'm lost

Do you land on a sixpence or 2 1//2p and can you see for miles and miles or 1.60934Km X=

We, little islanders, are a stubborn lot.

Oh and the drugs were in 1/8th, 1/4 ounces
[Post edited 17 Feb 2021 10:18]

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 09:44 - Feb 17 with 1043 viewsMetallica_Hoop

There was a thread on the BBC years ago about changing our heights to cm.

A tiny minority were in favour for some reason.

I pointed out they must all be under 6ft.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 09:47 - Feb 17 with 1038 views2Thomas2Bowles

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 09:44 - Feb 17 by Metallica_Hoop

There was a thread on the BBC years ago about changing our heights to cm.

A tiny minority were in favour for some reason.

I pointed out they must all be under 6ft.

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 09:55 - Feb 17 with 1028 viewsMrSheen

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 08:55 - Feb 17 by philc

We were in talks with the EEC/EU, but didn't sign up until 1972. Like the metric system, decimal money is more simple and convenient for people who make large calculations - relevant as computing and calculation technology was really getting going then. It would have been very expensive to reprogram and reformat displays for the UK market for 1-20-12 monetary systems, not to mention 1-10-8-14-16 weights...ton-hundredweight-stone-pound ounce.

While it was convenient for the professionals, the end-users weren't really considered and carried on with their old ways. US science teaches and uses metric/SI measurements, but the people weigh themselves in pounds, drink smaller but more rational pints (16 fl oz, same weight in water as the pound, as a litre = kg), hit balls in feet, drive miles, measure temperature in Fahrenheit etc.

I saw a fascinating programme where I learned there was serious consideration to split the pound in two at the time of decimalisation, so 100 new pennies would equate to 120 old pennies, not 240, and 10p being worth one shilling, instead of two. This would have made the calculation of smaller prices at least more straightforward and any exploitation more obvious. If I recall, the main objection was the effect on British "prestige" of a halving in the pound's exchange rate - the pound was (and still just about is) traditionally a "heavy" currency, with a unit value higher than foreign muck like Francs, Lire, Pesetas and even Deutschemarks.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2021 10:09]
50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 10:23 - Feb 17 with 1011 viewsBoston

6’ 2”, eyes of blue....

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 10:49 - Feb 17 with 994 views2Thomas2Bowles

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 10:23 - Feb 17 by Boston

6’ 2”, eyes of blue....

187.96 cm and... oh feck off...
[Post edited 17 Feb 2021 10:49]

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 11:41 - Feb 17 with 967 viewsTacticalR

Did anyone ever listen to the scurillous Victor Lewis Smith?

When not attacking Ipswich, he used to make up albums like 'Frank Sinatra sings for the masses', including the hit:

'These new 5p coins don't like them they're too fiddly
I preferred the old shilling, that was really worth a bob'

Starts at 2:10

Air hostess clique

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 11:52 - Feb 17 with 942 views2Thomas2Bowles

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 11:41 - Feb 17 by TacticalR

When not attacking Ipswich, he used to make up albums like 'Frank Sinatra sings for the masses', including the hit:

Feck me that's shit

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 12:09 - Feb 17 with 927 viewsMrSheen

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 11:41 - Feb 17 by TacticalR

He was a strange bird, VLS. Hated all sorts of things, but liked Cleo Laine and John Dankworth, and loved Mrs Brown's Boys. Getting sacked from Radio 4 for getting Arthur Mullard to host Midweek was an inspired move, though. A pioneer for Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker, not sure if that's a good thing.
50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 12:58 - Feb 17 with 905 viewsTacticalR

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 12:09 - Feb 17 by MrSheen

He was a strange bird, VLS. Hated all sorts of things, but liked Cleo Laine and John Dankworth, and loved Mrs Brown's Boys. Getting sacked from Radio 4 for getting Arthur Mullard to host Midweek was an inspired move, though. A pioneer for Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker, not sure if that's a good thing.

There is a recording from 1989 floating around called 'Chris Morris Does VLS' which shows how much Morris copied VLS when he started out
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,11536.msg521490.html#msg5

Air hostess clique

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 13:02 - Feb 17 with 900 viewsloftboy

Give someoms 2.54 cm and they take 1.6 km

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 13:24 - Feb 17 with 867 viewsHantsR

I used to get pocket money according to my age, a penny a week for every year i.e. at age 10 I received 10d. However by the time I reached 25, I felt this was inadequate, a feeling exacerbated by the apparent reduction in value caused by decimalisation, so I had to ask my parents for a rise.
50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 13:27 - Feb 17 with 864 viewsizlingtonhoop

I was in the first year juniors in 70-71, took a lovely 3d piece for puffs (fill your boots on that one Boston) at break time each day.

My teacher was the first person I'd heard say thruppence, too us it was more like throopence.

We spent some at least of that first term learning lsd, then next term, forget all that, here we go - decimal money.

Still think that's odd...
50 years ago, The Great Decimal Con on 13:44 - Feb 17 with 851 viewsterryb

On a serious note, decimalisation did have quite a lot to do with the increase in inflation, but that could have been easily avoided.

By keeping the £ the same but reducing the amount of pennies from 240 to 100 was too much for the manufacturers/marketeers to avoid taking advantage of. If the old £ had been the same value as £2 in the new world, we would only have lost 40 pence, thus reducing the price increases.

I ranted about this at the time & it got me nowhere & so I will leave it there!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024