Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pop the Cherry match Fred 08:54 - Feb 20 with 39366 viewswood_hoop

This is me first time, so be gentle.

So hard to call this, our confidence must be sky high after Wednesday, but there no mugs and can see this being quite a terse battle, hopefully a 1-0 win to us but does have a draw looking feel about the game.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2021 9:06]
Pop the Cherry match Fred on 07:33 - Feb 21 with 1273 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Dykes has been playing very wide recently; almost like a winger.
Pop the Cherry match Fred on 07:49 - Feb 21 with 1234 viewsTGRRRSSS

Bottom line is it's another win, and against one of the top sides.

Personally I am still thinking stay up rather than anything else, but since New Year we've been on a hell of a run, and even before that we were starting to get a few results like the draw (should have been a win) up at Norwich.
Pop the Cherry match Fred on 08:07 - Feb 21 with 1205 viewsnix

Pop the Cherry match Fred on 19:55 - Feb 20 by karl

Couldn't watch today but Dykes is a little bit of an odd one, he was struggling badly for, I assume, confidence when Charlie joined and they definitely clicked in the Luton game.
I thought that would be a corner turned but since he's come back in after the isolation he seems to have lost that edge again and it's odd because we're winning games and there's great team spirit, there's something not quite right with the situation and I think there's something else?
I'm convinced that MW sticks with him because he does seem very loyal to players, helps enormously keeping the players on his side, and he offers a very good defensive option at set pieces and with his willingness to work back effectively.
Still think Dykes and Bonne are vital part of the squad and responsible for the good run, I think Dykes getting a few assists and Bonne a goal or two will lift them and improve the team another few %.

I'm with you Karl. I'm happy to back Warbs to continue to persevere with Dykes, especially while we're being so effective across the team. One thing to bear in mind is that we're only seeing the match on a stream. It's v different to watching it live where you can see the work someone is doing off the ball, the runs, the marking up, the link play etc. Maybe part of the plan is that Dykes helps create space for others to run into, while also wearing out the central defenders so that they are more easily exploited when someone with pace, like Willock or guile, like Uncs, comes on.

The other thing is the loyalty factor. I agree that that's one of the things that keeps the players buying into the Warburton philosophy, even when we're a struggling team. I think even the most negative of posters must agree that he's never lost the dressing room, even when we were languishing near the bottom. Even BOS didn't fall out with the manager, and he clearly just had his own agenda about leaving. Manning was the nearest we've come to a disaffected player but I think he's maybe not someone who busts a gut either in training or on the pitch, so perhaps that affects how the manager treats him.

I imagine Warbs will probably quietly give him a rest during this long run of games, which won't look like he's been dropped for being ineffective so won't hopefully affect his confidence going forward. Some of the language around him has been a bit ridiculous though. He's definitely made a contribution in most, if not all of the matches. Getting goals is obviously a massive part of his role, but all strikers do go through barren periods and he has had a fair bit of bad luck with refs, i.e. Brentford away, where I'm sure he'd score or a couple of times where he's been pulled up for a foul in the pen where it's been a perfectly fair duel for the ball and he would have been one on one with the keeper.

I still think we might see a lot more from him.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 8:47]
Pop the Cherry match Fred on 08:43 - Feb 21 with 1156 viewskarl

Pop the Cherry match Fred on 08:07 - Feb 21 by nix

I'm with you Karl. I'm happy to back Warbs to continue to persevere with Dykes, especially while we're being so effective across the team. One thing to bear in mind is that we're only seeing the match on a stream. It's v different to watching it live where you can see the work someone is doing off the ball, the runs, the marking up, the link play etc. Maybe part of the plan is that Dykes helps create space for others to run into, while also wearing out the central defenders so that they are more easily exploited when someone with pace, like Willock or guile, like Uncs, comes on.

The other thing is the loyalty factor. I agree that that's one of the things that keeps the players buying into the Warburton philosophy, even when we're a struggling team. I think even the most negative of posters must agree that he's never lost the dressing room, even when we were languishing near the bottom. Even BOS didn't fall out with the manager, and he clearly just had his own agenda about leaving. Manning was the nearest we've come to a disaffected player but I think he's maybe not someone who busts a gut either in training or on the pitch, so perhaps that affects how the manager treats him.

I imagine Warbs will probably quietly give him a rest during this long run of games, which won't look like he's been dropped for being ineffective so won't hopefully affect his confidence going forward. Some of the language around him has been a bit ridiculous though. He's definitely made a contribution in most, if not all of the matches. Getting goals is obviously a massive part of his role, but all strikers do go through barren periods and he has had a fair bit of bad luck with refs, i.e. Brentford away, where I'm sure he'd score or a couple of times where he's been pulled up for a foul in the pen where it's been a perfectly fair duel for the ball and he would have been one on one with the keeper.

Yes, agree Nix.
Now we're all watching games in the same way I'm confident to put forward my opinion on the performances but when there's crowds allowed I happily defer to someone who was at the game and can bring the balanced view of having seen the full dynamic of a match, can be very telling and far more informative about whether someone is struggling with confidence or is generally just not a good enough player.
Pop the Cherry match Fred on 14:14 - Feb 21 with 1009 viewsderbyhoop

We now carry out the high press and that is what led to Johansen's goal yesterday. The forwards have to be part of that, cutting down defender's options to pass where they want. Dykes is much better at that part than Bonne. Or Charlie, for that matter.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Pop the Cherry match Fred on 14:19 - Feb 21 with 997 viewsNov77

Pop the Cherry match Fred on 08:07 - Feb 21 by nix

“Maybe part of the plan is that Dykes helps create space for others to run into, while also wearing out the central defenders so that they are more easily exploited when someone with pace, like Willock or guile, like Uncs, comes on. “

This reminds of a story Stan told once. He said Brian Williams came up to him and Gerry in training and said, ‘I think it’s really clever, the way you and Gerry use me as a decoy’, Stan replied, ‘Brian, the reason we don’t pass to you is we don’t think you’re very good’.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Pop the Cherry match Fred on 14:20 - Feb 21 with 987 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good point, Derby.

We weren't pressing at the start of the match, deliberately standing off their back three. The decision to go to the press paid dividends, even if Austin's lack of pace does weaken our press.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Pop the Cherry match Fred on 16:30 - Feb 21 with 839 viewsMyke

Pop the Cherry match Fred on 14:20 - Feb 21 by BrianMcCarthy

Good point, Derby.

We weren't pressing at the start of the match, deliberately standing off their back three. The decision to go to the press paid dividends, even if Austin's lack of pace does weaken our press.

Think we would have been going for a higher press in every game if Amos hadn't got injured
Login to get fewer ads

Pop the Cherry match Fred on 12:10 - Feb 22 with 706 viewsderbyhoop

Probably right Myke.

In the first half I thought the only way we were going to score was from a Bournemouth mistake.
Effectively, the high press, forced that for the Johansen goal. But, it wasn't just Johansen spotting the ball from Mepham, there were 2 others (one at LB, possibly by Dykes, and the press on Mepham forcing him to play into danger area).

It goes to show there is more to the game than pretty ticky-tacky passing.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Pop the Cherry match Fred on 15:44 - Feb 22 with 641 viewsPinnerPaul

Pop the Cherry match Fred on 12:10 - Feb 22 by derbyhoop

Probably right Myke.

In the first half I thought the only way we were going to score was from a Bournemouth mistake.
Effectively, the high press, forced that for the Johansen goal. But, it wasn't just Johansen spotting the ball from Mepham, there were 2 others (one at LB, possibly by Dykes, and the press on Mepham forcing him to play into danger area).

It goes to show there is more to the game than pretty ticky-tacky passing.

as Man City show.

Yes they have some marvellous ball players but the work they get through when the other team have the ball is unreal.
Pop the Cherry match Fred on 15:49 - Feb 22 with 633 viewskensalriser

Pop the Cherry match Fred on 01:07 - Feb 21 by CLAREMAN1995

Great post daveman its time to switch the strikers up and with a bunch of games its actually necessary IMO.
Leave Charlie on the bench until at least half time and if the chances come when the game stretches he will have a field day with his ability and experience .
Bonne needed a little more composure but that only comes with playing time .
We look pretty solid from the back just need to keep the goals coming 2 a game is a nice ratio COYRs

Austin didn't come back to sit on the bench. He needs to be the main man, that's when he's at his best.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Pop the Cherry match Fred on 15:31 - Feb 23 with 538 viewsfrancisbowles

Pop the Cherry match Fred on 15:49 - Feb 22 by kensalriser

Austin didn't come back to sit on the bench. He needs to be the main man, that's when he's at his best.

Yes I agree and it wouldn't be a great plan to have him on the bench and then come on when we are 2-0 down and the opposition is parking the bus.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024