Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Womens Football History 09:02 - May 7 with 2924 viewsslmrstid

Another very good in-depth article on BBC Sport this morning in regards to womens football and Mary Phillip, former England international and current manager of Peckham Town.

Link - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/k7nszhqym9/now-you-see-her

I do like these in-depth articles they do on various bits, as it follows on from the one on James Coppinger a few weeks ago.

Things I learned from this - I had no idea QPR won the Womens FA Cup in 1977, and were runners up in 1976 and 1978. There is no mention that I can find on the QPR website of the history of our womens team, or that we have won the Womens FA Cup in our history. Although from Wikipedia we lost the 1978 final 8-2 so perhaps we don't want to mention that anyway...

But this, and the recent increase in popularity in womens football has got me thinking a fair bit as to whether I should take more of an active interest in the fortunes of our womens team. After all, they are still QPR, and they are still representing our club, and arguably logically there is no reason why I should support our mens team, but not have any interest in our womens team.

Obviously the history of how womens football was banned for so long helps explain why there is such a disparity in the modern day mens and womens game, but that is never going to get fully closer without people like me being more active in supporting it.

Certainly got me thinking.
Womens Football History on 09:07 - May 7 with 2908 viewsMrSheen

Once they lost to Hounslow FC they were dead to me, hurt more than 1986. Shut down Keira, and they've got nothing.
Womens Football History on 11:21 - May 7 with 2845 viewsfrancisbowles

I think it was called the 'Pony' cup at the time. No idea why!?

Also, I seem to remember Gerry's sister was in the team.
Womens Football History on 11:45 - May 7 with 2840 viewsTacticalR

There is a little bit about the 1977 WFA on this thread from a few years ago:

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/queensparkrangers/forum/205666#post2822693
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 12:25]

Air hostess clique

Womens Football History on 18:03 - May 7 with 2776 viewsPinnerPaul

Truly shocking, I think, that after close on 150 years of professional football we have ONE female referee at EFL level.

Even taking the VERY dubious line of 'ignoring' pre 1975, that's 45 years for ONE female referee to 'make it'?????
Womens Football History on 11:03 - May 16 with 2709 viewsTacticalR

A history of the Women's FA Cup Final has been published this month.

The section of the book that is online in Google books covers our three finals against Southampton in the 70s:
https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/A_History_of_the_Women_s_FA_Cup_Final/7KU

Air hostess clique

Womens Football History on 14:31 - May 17 with 2543 viewsTacticalR

Interview with Sandra Choat who played in all 3 of QPR's WFA finals in the 70s:

'I scored 406 goals during my career which spanned 360 matches and for a time held the record for the most goals scored in one game — 14 in the QPR v Watford, Watford Cup match. I played for 7 clubs, represented three leagues — Home Counties, Hounslow and Sussex and I appeared in three WFA Cup finals for QPR, winning in 1977. I won an England cap 5 times scoring 4 goals. A knee injury forced my retirement in 1990.'

Sandra Choat — member of the England squad 1970s
https://wfahistory.wordpress.com/sandra-choat-member-of-the-england-squad-1970s/

Air hostess clique

Womens Football History on 15:14 - May 20 with 2381 viewsTacticalR

Womens Football History on 11:21 - May 7 by francisbowles

I think it was called the 'Pony' cup at the time. No idea why!?

Also, I seem to remember Gerry's sister was in the team.

Pony was a drink (sherry).

Air hostess clique

Womens Football History on 17:37 - May 20 with 2329 viewsMrSheen

Womens Football History on 15:14 - May 20 by TacticalR

Pony was a drink (sherry).

Sherry?! Strange, it looks like a Babycham knock-off. From the days when ladies were only trusted with drinks of less than four ounces lest they sink into depravity.
Login to get fewer ads

Womens Football History on 15:20 - May 21 with 2237 viewsTacticalR

Womens Football History on 17:37 - May 20 by MrSheen

Sherry?! Strange, it looks like a Babycham knock-off. From the days when ladies were only trusted with drinks of less than four ounces lest they sink into depravity.

Yes, it looks like it was competing with Babycham.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2021 10:56]

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024