Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best ever roads driven on 12:28 - Jul 17 with 4577 viewsenfieldargh

Most beautiful roads for scenery I've been on.

Nan Province: Lon Fah Road 1256 from Pua to Salt lakes on highway 1081 close to Thai-Laos border.

Amazing scenery with winding roads up and down hills into valleys all surrounded by jungle covered mountains. Go off season as tourists tend to park their cars on blind bends to take photos.

UK love the route from Pitlochry to Aberdeen A924/B950/A93 and as many off shoot routes as I can find

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Best ever roads driven on on 19:03 - Jul 17 with 1612 viewsdmm

The Himalayan foothills in north Dhading, Nepal. I say foothills but we were high enough. Scary and utterly spectacular.
Best ever roads driven on on 23:26 - Jul 17 with 1552 viewsted_hendrix

Just South of Clarksdale, Mississippi you leave Highway 49 and there is the awesome Mississippi river in all it's glory, stood there for a while taking it all in, all it's history etcetera if you don't know much about 'The Blues' you won't know what I'm on about but never mind.
The road into Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire, Scotland is a sight for sore eyes as is the B4001 at its highest point between Lambourne and Wantage just past the gallops, on a clear sunny day you can see for miles.
The road into Walnut Canyon, Arizona is stunning (as is Arizona).

The best ever road sign I saw was "Dhaka International Airport Departures" at 05.00 one Sunday morning, get me the f uck outta there.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Best ever roads driven on on 00:37 - Jul 18 with 1506 viewsAirtomoreira

1) Bealach Na Ba to Applecross (attached video is travelling from Applecross, presumably so that you can see the best views)

2) Honourable mention to Hard Knott Pass in The Lake District. More taxing from a driving point of view (steeper / hairy hairpins / narrow passing places / potentially more traffic), but not as scenic

3) Long Mynd at Church Stretton is good too.

Best ever roads driven on on 02:52 - Jul 18 with 1466 viewsozexile

Best ever roads driven on on 00:37 - Jul 18 by Airtomoreira

1) Bealach Na Ba to Applecross (attached video is travelling from Applecross, presumably so that you can see the best views)

2) Honourable mention to Hard Knott Pass in The Lake District. More taxing from a driving point of view (steeper / hairy hairpins / narrow passing places / potentially more traffic), but not as scenic

3) Long Mynd at Church Stretton is good too.

A few years ago and I was back in the UK and drove from West Bay in Dorset to Weymouth. It's only a 25 minute drive but the Sun was shining and in places you could see all the way along the Jurassic coast. Absolutely beautiful.
Best ever roads driven on on 03:22 - Jul 18 with 1463 viewsKiwi76

Echo the recommendations for Gt Ocean Road - proposed near 12 Apostles & great trip round & into Barossa & some great wineries.

Also have to plug the Queenstown to Glenorchy road round the lake - nice views in town but then go round a corner & even more of the Southern Alps come into view.
Best ever roads driven on on 04:15 - Jul 18 with 1446 viewsozexile

Best ever roads driven on on 03:22 - Jul 18 by Kiwi76

Echo the recommendations for Gt Ocean Road - proposed near 12 Apostles & great trip round & into Barossa & some great wineries.

Also have to plug the Queenstown to Glenorchy road round the lake - nice views in town but then go round a corner & even more of the Southern Alps come into view.

I was on a coach many years ago from Queenstown to Christchurch. Beautiful drive.
Best ever roads driven on on 07:25 - Jul 18 with 1409 viewsThe_Beast1976

The road from Twizel to Aoraki/Mount Cook is No1 for me.

Volcano alley in Ecuador is nice..

The World's Most Dangerous Road in Bolivia for something a bit different.

Any road through Chilean or Argentinian Pategonia is generally stunning.

Driving around Easter Island on a quad bike.
Best ever roads driven on on 09:13 - Jul 18 with 1370 viewskernowhoop

The Gospel Pass, near Hay-on-Wye. But, it's a narrow road and it can get busy, so don't tell anyone about it.
Login to get fewer ads

Best ever roads driven on on 09:48 - Jul 18 with 1350 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Best ever roads driven on on 02:52 - Jul 18 by ozexile

A few years ago and I was back in the UK and drove from West Bay in Dorset to Weymouth. It's only a 25 minute drive but the Sun was shining and in places you could see all the way along the Jurassic coast. Absolutely beautiful.

I did most of that road last year. Stopped in Abbottsbury for a stroll up to the old abbey on the hill. It was p1ssing with rain but still very nice. 🌧

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Best ever roads driven on on 10:07 - Jul 18 with 1341 viewsngbqpr

The coastal road in north west Crete.

Going up the mountain paths of Minca, Colombia, on the back of a local kid's motorbike.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Best ever roads driven on on 10:15 - Jul 18 with 1334 viewskernowhoop

Best ever roads driven on on 17:10 - Jul 17 by rrrspricey

Not technically a road but the best bit of tarmac I've ever riden on and the closest to 200mph I ever got!

I give you Mugello, nestled deep in the Tuscan countryside.

'46' points for that one
Best ever roads driven on on 11:42 - Jul 18 with 1297 viewsSK_hoops

Definitely need to make sure your seatbelt is on, but the scenery was great, especially in the autumn which was when we went.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3816.html
Best ever roads driven on on 13:16 - Jul 18 with 1262 viewsSheffieldHoop

Done various parts of the PCH across 3 trips. Really cool. Up as far as Carmel and down to San Diego. Also took the Surfliner from San Diego to LA one morning which was brilliant.

I'll say the Texas Hill Country for something different. Twisted Sisters roads on a sports bike. Great trip.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Best ever roads driven on on 13:18 - Jul 18 with 1271 viewsloftboy

When In Rhodes we hire a car for a couple of days and do the complete loop of the Island, absolutely spectacular views from the mountains over the Agean, would never get tired of it.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Best ever roads driven on on 21:56 - Jul 18 with 1161 viewsPeterHucker

The Icefields parkway heading south from Jasper down to Lake Louise / Banff already mentioned.

The A838 in Scotland going north from Loch Shin right up to the top.
You drive up there on a sunny day, especially around Loch Eriboll, and it's east to forget you are in the UK rather than a Mediterranean resort in Greece or Croatia.

Another favourite is the A487 from the Cross Foxes pub down to the beach at Tywyn taking in specatacular views of Cader Idris along the way.

For me right now there would be no road I would enjoy me than walking along the Uxbridge Road to see the Queens Park Rangers.

Quite partial to that bit of the M62 where Lancashire becomes Yorkshire, The highest point on any motorway in England you know.

Best ever roads driven on on 23:09 - Jul 18 with 1132 viewsgobbles

The road north from Yellowstone National Park into Montana is the most incredible drive I have ever done. You can take it all the way up to Glacier National Park, which is sensational, but a trickier drive.
The Pacific Coast Highway, either around the Big Sur, north of Golden Gate Bridge to Stinson Beach, or down south near Del Mar at sunset are pretty fantastic too.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 14:06]
Best ever roads driven on on 23:45 - Jul 18 with 1123 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Best ever roads driven on on 23:09 - Jul 18 by gobbles

The road north from Yellowstone National Park into Montana is the most incredible drive I have ever done. You can take it all the way up to Glacier National Park, which is sensational, but a trickier drive.
The Pacific Coast Highway, either around the Big Sur, north of Golden Gate Bridge to Stinson Beach, or down south near Del Mar at sunset are pretty fantastic too.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 14:06]

Ah yes. Bogsur Regis.

Recommended for the savvy property buyer apparently.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Best ever roads driven on on 00:14 - Jul 19 with 1112 viewsLythamR

have done SF to LA, lunch at Big Sur, overnight in Santa barbara then down through Malibu and Santa Monica to Hollywood the following day. have also done 101 north from SF as far as Seattle, really hugs the coast which get more rugged with immaculate seafood along the way, Coos Bay particularly good, Spectacular views of Mount Rainier for miles once your into Washington.

also once did a trip from Lake Tahoe through Yosemite and then down to SF which was stunning.

The road north out of Yellowstone as mentioned by Gobbles is fantastic as is the eastern approach from Cody through Shoshone country.

I think my favourite though is the Iron Mountain road in the Black Hills where you go round corners and are suddenly presented with a short tunnel with a perfectly framed Mount Rushmore monument showing through it, spectacular bit of road engineering and the views out over the hills are not to be sneezed at either

UK wise I really like the road from Fort William through Glengarry to the Kyle of Lochalsh, over the Skye bridge and on to Portree, lovely on a clear sunny day but even enjoyable on a drizzly grey day which happens more often.

Used to quite like the A14 before the speed cameras and especially the Lucky Little Chef Eastbound just past Kettering but it wasnt any fun the last few times i have had to do it
Best ever roads driven on on 08:22 - Jul 19 with 1033 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Chapmans Peak/ Cape Town/ Cape point.

These are pics taken by moi. Wonderful scenery and you can swim in two oceans in one day.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Best ever roads driven on on 08:26 - Jul 19 with 1030 viewskingsburyR

Best ever roads driven on on 14:02 - Jul 17 by CliveWilsonSaid

1. The Great Ocean Road in Victoria Australia. I did about half of it in 1999 with a few friends.

2. Gran Canaria on a lads holiday about 2004/05. One day we escaped the pool and the bars and hired a couple of open top jeep things and drove around to the North side of the Island. Then drove back through the centre of the island, up over the towering mountains and volcanos. It was epic.

3. West Dorset hills. Some lovely driving around there.

I drove into the middle part of the island in Gran Canaria just before lockdown last year.

Almost sh*t a brick!!!

Not the best with heights but bloody hell.

Apparently the wife said the views were amazing!!! I can only confirm the bonnet of the car looked fine to me!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Best ever roads driven on on 08:55 - Jul 19 with 1023 viewsslmrstid

Any road in Iceland once you get out of the Reyjkavik area (only because the roads are much busier).

Then you can just drive mile after mile in the most amazing scenery whilst only seeing one other vehicle every 10/20 minutes or so. Wonderful country.
Best ever roads driven on on 11:30 - Jul 19 with 974 views1MoreBrightonR

1Just got back from the NC500 in the northwest of Scotland. Stunning but had to skip the Applecross part mentioned above as our campervan was too big for the roads.

2 Transfăgărășan highway in Romainia, also mentioned previously.

3. Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier National Park, Montana: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fexplorewhitefish.com%2Fent

4. Highway 101 down the Oregon coast: https://traveloregon.com/things-to-do/trip-ideas/scenic-drives/the-pacific-coast
Best ever roads driven on on 13:48 - Jul 19 with 953 viewsaston_hoop

Traveled from Pamplona to San Sebastian by road last weekend and then a bit around the Basque Country, some absolutely stunning scenery around there.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Best ever roads driven on on 23:27 - Jul 21 with 790 viewsCiderwithRsie

Maybe not "the best", but I was once struck by the fact that the road I was on to a beauty spot in the Forest of Dean was the A40. This winding single carriageway through hills and woods was technically the same road as the elevated section of the Westway, it was weird.

So one day after breakfast I got on to the A40 at Gloucester and just carried on. A bit boring going past Cardiff but otherwise not bad at all especially in West Wales.

But the cool thing was there was an end to it at Fishguard, looking over the sea. First time I think I've ever got right to the end of a major road, weird to think of it going all the way back to the Polish War Memorial and The Target and the Hoover Factory and good old HQ.

There was a ferry in the harbour bound for Cork, I was half tempted to keep going.
Best ever roads driven on on 06:57 - Jul 22 with 742 viewsdistortR

Best ever roads driven on on 23:27 - Jul 21 by CiderwithRsie

Maybe not "the best", but I was once struck by the fact that the road I was on to a beauty spot in the Forest of Dean was the A40. This winding single carriageway through hills and woods was technically the same road as the elevated section of the Westway, it was weird.

So one day after breakfast I got on to the A40 at Gloucester and just carried on. A bit boring going past Cardiff but otherwise not bad at all especially in West Wales.

But the cool thing was there was an end to it at Fishguard, looking over the sea. First time I think I've ever got right to the end of a major road, weird to think of it going all the way back to the Polish War Memorial and The Target and the Hoover Factory and good old HQ.

There was a ferry in the harbour bound for Cork, I was half tempted to keep going.

To leave Cork , go 'out the straight road'.

Nods head knowingly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024