Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pay Sports Channels here in UK 09:14 - Aug 1 with 3103 viewsTGRRRSSS

Just thinking from what I can see we have Sky Sports, BT Sport, Premier Sport.

Eurosport and Free Sports.

Only free sports seems to be free, the others are in some way behind a Pay wall.

I was thinking about for instance the Eurospots League 3 - and Serie A for that matter don't have a big handle or sales in UK anymore - and was wondering really why, and does anyone have all of them, and whats the price for some?

I have Sky Sports only, decided against the others despite Sky Sports seemingly dropping a lot of sports - especially Rugby Union they seem to barely bother with anymore, ok they have the Lions currently but not notice advertising anything else rugby wise - including the Rugby Championship which has been on for years.

Cricket they are more into but wonder if the fees are less, and even then I've seen different things going elsewhere.
Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 09:43 - Aug 1 with 3044 viewsDubaiR

I switched from Sky was paying 85 a month for sky sports, no movies, only one room. Virgin have an offer 79 a month, multi room, movies, sky sports, Bat sports and the premium Eurosport. So far service been good
Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 10:48 - Aug 1 with 2976 views80s_Boy

Have you asked your service provider if they have any special deals?

By law they have to offer you whatever they are offering new customers and Virgin gave me all Sky Sports and BT sports channels for an extra £25 per month.

If you're with Sky, btw, you can add additional sports channels rather than all so you could add just Sky Sports Premier League and Sky Sports Football for an extra £15 (I think) a month.
Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 11:08 - Aug 1 with 2928 viewsSnipper

What pìsses me off about Sky Sports is that they charge a sizeable monthly fee, then they want to charge an extra £20 for boxing. They shouldn’t be allowed to get away with that.
Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 11:14 - Aug 1 with 2912 views80s_Boy

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 11:08 - Aug 1 by Snipper

What pìsses me off about Sky Sports is that they charge a sizeable monthly fee, then they want to charge an extra £20 for boxing. They shouldn’t be allowed to get away with that.

It's the promoters who drive that, not the channels to be fair. Promoters only sign contracts if they are allowed to include X amount of PPV shows.

There's far too many now but there's no doubt that at the upper end of the sport PPVs allow fights to take place where boxing politics would normally have ensured that they don't due to the extra revenue they bring and, of course, bigger purses to fighters.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2021 11:14]
Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 11:34 - Aug 1 with 2870 viewsdavman

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 11:08 - Aug 1 by Snipper

They'll get away with it as long as there are people willing to feed their beast. If people stop paying (which they won't) there may be a change.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 11:50 - Aug 1 with 2838 views80s_Boy

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 11:34 - Aug 1 by davman

They'll get away with it as long as there are people willing to feed their beast. If people stop paying (which they won't) there may be a change.

There has been a backlash against some PPVs and one recently only sold 5,000 ish but that's still around 100k before you add advertisement revenue.

Those fighters would have got £18 - 20k for the fight on normal Sky and ended up with £25k each instead.

As long as fighters are making increased purses there's little chance of protest from within the sport and, as they put their lives on the line every time they step beyond the ropes, should we begrudge them extra money?

You play football, you don't play boxing and all that...
Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 11:58 - Aug 1 with 2817 viewsBoston

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 11:50 - Aug 1 by 80s_Boy

There has been a backlash against some PPVs and one recently only sold 5,000 ish but that's still around 100k before you add advertisement revenue.

Those fighters would have got £18 - 20k for the fight on normal Sky and ended up with £25k each instead.

As long as fighters are making increased purses there's little chance of protest from within the sport and, as they put their lives on the line every time they step beyond the ropes, should we begrudge them extra money?

Decent terrestrial screening here yesterday evening, an unknown called Jonnie Rice beat the living daylights out of 20-1 fav Michael Coffie.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 13:47 - Aug 1 with 2718 viewsSheffieldHoop

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 11:50 - Aug 1 by 80s_Boy

People forget that sky banned Boxing PPVs for a couple of years after the David Haye debacle(s). Carl Froch had to beat an unbeaten Lucien Bute on Sky Sports 1 for relatively crap money, before sky were willing to let Boxing back on PPV. You might also remember this was a time when we had multiple Brits knocking on the door for world titles, but barely getting the fights, because of the lack of PPV options available to us. So all we got was the likes of Gavin Rees going over the pond to be knocked out. While Kell Brook was stuck fighting the likes of Matthew Hatton.

Meanwhile, the WWE runs a PPV show every month. Supplemented by 2-3 shows per week, all purely designed to give some sort of context and meaning to the End of month PPV. Aimed at kids, who then pester parents, to spend money on a PPV event, which doesn't actually feature any competitive sport.

At least boxing is relatively honest about it. Some PPVs I'll pay for, like the recent Josh Taylor fight. But a Sky show headlining Chisora and Katie Taylor, probably not. Just gotta know what you're buying.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Login to get fewer ads

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 14:08 - Aug 1 with 2701 viewsMick_S

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 09:43 - Aug 1 by DubaiR

I switched from Sky was paying 85 a month for sky sports, no movies, only one room. Virgin have an offer 79 a month, multi room, movies, sky sports, Bat sports and the premium Eurosport. So far service been good

We just switched to Virgin and got rid of Sky and BT. Virgin is £85 ish for everything the other two used to supply. It’s about £80.00 cheaper a month. All sports channels, phone, mobile, broadband, so I feel smug. So far, so good, but there was a bit of drilling, so I walked the dog.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 15:35 - Aug 1 with 2646 viewsgobbles

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 11:14 - Aug 1 by 80s_Boy

It's the promoters who drive that, not the channels to be fair. Promoters only sign contracts if they are allowed to include X amount of PPV shows.

There's far too many now but there's no doubt that at the upper end of the sport PPVs allow fights to take place where boxing politics would normally have ensured that they don't due to the extra revenue they bring and, of course, bigger purses to fighters.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2021 11:14]

That's not entirely true. Sky pay about half per regular Sky Sports boxing show compared to what they paid 15-20 years ago. If they paid promoters a fair fee, they would have more boxing on regular Sky. But don't have to pay anything for Box Office fights and just make profit, which they don;t put back into boxing but instead take as profits. That's why Eddie Hearn left.
Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 16:56 - Aug 1 with 2570 views80s_Boy

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 15:35 - Aug 1 by gobbles

That's not entirely true. Sky pay about half per regular Sky Sports boxing show compared to what they paid 15-20 years ago. If they paid promoters a fair fee, they would have more boxing on regular Sky. But don't have to pay anything for Box Office fights and just make profit, which they don;t put back into boxing but instead take as profits. That's why Eddie Hearn left.

I'm not sure I can agree that Eddie Hearn feels so hard done by that he needs to increase the amount of PPV shows to be honest.

Also, I suspect his stable moving almost exclusively to DAZN has more to do with ensuring he generates more personal wealth than a reaction to anything Sky has ever done.
Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 17:05 - Aug 1 with 2557 views80s_Boy

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 13:47 - Aug 1 by SheffieldHoop

People forget that sky banned Boxing PPVs for a couple of years after the David Haye debacle(s). Carl Froch had to beat an unbeaten Lucien Bute on Sky Sports 1 for relatively crap money, before sky were willing to let Boxing back on PPV. You might also remember this was a time when we had multiple Brits knocking on the door for world titles, but barely getting the fights, because of the lack of PPV options available to us. So all we got was the likes of Gavin Rees going over the pond to be knocked out. While Kell Brook was stuck fighting the likes of Matthew Hatton.

Meanwhile, the WWE runs a PPV show every month. Supplemented by 2-3 shows per week, all purely designed to give some sort of context and meaning to the End of month PPV. Aimed at kids, who then pester parents, to spend money on a PPV event, which doesn't actually feature any competitive sport.

At least boxing is relatively honest about it. Some PPVs I'll pay for, like the recent Josh Taylor fight. But a Sky show headlining Chisora and Katie Taylor, probably not. Just gotta know what you're buying.

I personally didn't mind the Haye vs Harrison or Froch vs Bute being on PPV to be honest, even though both fights were, I felt at the time, being ridiculously hyped up to create a feeling that the underdogs a better chance than they really had.

Totally agree with you about Derek Chisora being main fight on PPV and as someone who has no time for women's boxing and at events uses such fights as an excuse to have a piss or grab a pint, I'm certainly not willing to pay money when it headlines.

The adoption of PPV shows in the UK was, as you say, instrumental in getting our guys fights they were struggling to otherwise get. It was the money Hatton made against Kostya Tszyu that made Mayweather's ears prick up and take the fight. He already knew he'd win so it was a case of making as much money as possible.
Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 17:26 - Aug 1 with 2531 viewsgobbles

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 16:56 - Aug 1 by 80s_Boy

I'm not sure I can agree that Eddie Hearn feels so hard done by that he needs to increase the amount of PPV shows to be honest.

Also, I suspect his stable moving almost exclusively to DAZN has more to do with ensuring he generates more personal wealth than a reaction to anything Sky has ever done.

That may well be true, but the bottom line is Sky only cares about football and money has been drained out of other sports, including boxing and rugby, to fund Premier League's bloated rights.
Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 17:33 - Aug 1 with 2525 views80s_Boy

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 17:26 - Aug 1 by gobbles

That may well be true, but the bottom line is Sky only cares about football and money has been drained out of other sports, including boxing and rugby, to fund Premier League's bloated rights.

'the bottom line is Sky only cares about football and money has been drained out of other sports'

Totally agree.
Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 21:19 - Aug 1 with 2380 viewsMiss_Terraces

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 17:33 - Aug 1 by 80s_Boy

'the bottom line is Sky only cares about football and money has been drained out of other sports'

Totally agree.

I'm sorry you're wrong, sky only care about money, power and influence. Football is where the money, power and influence is so that's where they concentrate on.
sky like every other broadcaster doesn't give a sh!t about football. If they did they'd respect the values of football. How many people on this board have lost £100s or even £1,000s from worthless train tickets because of this company? That's just one way of the many ways sky has screwed football over

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 22:11 - Aug 1 with 2319 viewsgobbles

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 21:19 - Aug 1 by Miss_Terraces

I'm sorry you're wrong, sky only care about money, power and influence. Football is where the money, power and influence is so that's where they concentrate on.
sky like every other broadcaster doesn't give a sh!t about football. If they did they'd respect the values of football. How many people on this board have lost £100s or even £1,000s from worthless train tickets because of this company? That's just one way of the many ways sky has screwed football over

It cares about showing football. I never said it cared about fans or the spirit of football, whatever that is in this day and age.
Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 23:05 - Aug 1 with 2258 viewsMiss_Terraces

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 22:11 - Aug 1 by gobbles

It cares about showing football. I never said it cared about fans or the spirit of football, whatever that is in this day and age.

I know you didn't mean that, I just hate sky so much that my anger blinds myself to reason. Sorry

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 07:27 - Aug 2 with 2140 views80s_Boy

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 22:11 - Aug 1 by gobbles

Exactly what I was agreeing with too.
Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 07:29 - Aug 2 with 2139 views80s_Boy

Pay Sports Channels here in UK on 23:05 - Aug 1 by Miss_Terraces

I know you didn't mean that, I just hate sky so much that my anger blinds myself to reason. Sorry

It's a business, it will set out to make as much money as possible.

Don't hate the players and all that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024