Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tokyo Olympics 17:24 - Aug 9 with 2330 viewsMorrisD52

If you do a small analysis of the medal table ie medals per head of population the most successful nation was Australia followed by GB, USA sixth. China to big to calculate way down the table. just a useless bit of info

Tokyo Olympics on 17:39 - Aug 9 with 2264 viewsLogman

Very big sporting culture in Oz.

But for me what the medal table shows is which countries invest £'s in sport.

Most Olympic sports aren't really a level playing field are they, when you have got people winning them because they have got the time and money to practice them full time.
Tokyo Olympics on 17:43 - Aug 9 with 2246 viewsstowmarketrange

Tokyo Olympics on 17:39 - Aug 9 by Logman

Very big sporting culture in Oz.

But for me what the medal table shows is which countries invest £'s in sport.

Most Olympic sports aren't really a level playing field are they, when you have got people winning them because they have got the time and money to practice them full time.

The national lottery funding certainly has helped our Olympians improve their medal totals since the low of Atlanta in 1996.
Tokyo Olympics on 17:45 - Aug 9 with 2235 viewsaston_hoop

For what its worth, you can have a play with this to see the stats

https://www.medalspercapita.com

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Tokyo Olympics on 17:57 - Aug 9 with 2195 viewsstowmarketrange

Tokyo Olympics on 17:45 - Aug 9 by aston_hoop

For what its worth, you can have a play with this to see the stats

https://www.medalspercapita.com

I can’t believe some of those population figures.273 million in Indonesia,206 million in Nigeria.The USA only used to be around the 250m mark but is now a country of 331 million people.
India and China aren’t that far apart in populations now.No wonder the world is heading towards disaster.
Tokyo Olympics on 18:04 - Aug 9 with 2168 viewsBoston

Tokyo Olympics on 17:57 - Aug 9 by stowmarketrange

I can’t believe some of those population figures.273 million in Indonesia,206 million in Nigeria.The USA only used to be around the 250m mark but is now a country of 331 million people.
India and China aren’t that far apart in populations now.No wonder the world is heading towards disaster.

I know squire, 30% of the people around my way are bleedin’ foreigners.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Tokyo Olympics on 19:22 - Aug 9 with 2000 viewsngbqpr

Sure Holland must be right up there?

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Tokyo Olympics on 19:25 - Aug 9 with 1991 viewscpgerber

Tokyo Olympics on 19:22 - Aug 9 by ngbqpr

Sure Holland must be right up there?

I was about to ask that. Our most succesful Olympics ever in terms of total medals won.
Tokyo Olympics on 19:25 - Aug 9 with 1985 viewsRanger_Things

I haven’t checked the maths but I would have thought the most medals by population would be San Marino or an island in the West Indies or pacific. The Kiwis must be up there as well.
Login to get fewer ads

Tokyo Olympics on 20:16 - Aug 9 with 1914 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Population figures are population guesses.

In China there’s a good ‘few’ hundred million extra people as a result of those born outside of the one child policy and questionable counting in some regions. I suspect in large parts of other developing and under developed countries, the same might apply to the thoroughness of their counting.

The big joke of the Olympics: ROC! Either ban them for persistently breaking the rules or don’t. Letting their athletes compete under a sham is embarrassing and does not punish them.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Tokyo Olympics on 21:23 - Aug 9 with 1813 viewsderbyhoop

For me the most interesting thing was the number of DIFFERENT sports where the UK won medals..
Rowing and cycling have long been UK success stories, but skateboarding, boxing , triathalon, modern pentathalon were all unexpected.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Tokyo Olympics on 23:09 - Aug 9 with 1706 viewsSydneyRs

Australia literally measures it's self worth on Olympic medals and puts a lot of money into making sure it does well. Sport is very well funded here and they have the very best facilities. Also more than half their golds came in a single sport that they are obsessed with and few others care about much. GB got to the funding party later than Australia and has done very well as a result.

A better measure would be size of team and financial resources put into it. Australia's team had around 100 more athletes than team GB, yet GB won 65 medals to their 46.

This was Australia's best games since 2004. New Zealand also had one of its best ever. Both countries largely sailed through covid (due to their govts acting quickly as well as geographic advantage) with limited lockdowns and disruption. That also played a big part with everyone else in chaos and many countries in lockdown for ages.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 1:16]
Tokyo Olympics on 23:12 - Aug 9 with 1697 viewsSydneyRs

NZ won 20 medals to Australia's 46, with around 20% of the population size.
Tokyo Olympics on 00:35 - Aug 10 with 1645 viewsAirtomoreira

Tokyo Olympics on 21:23 - Aug 9 by derbyhoop

For me the most interesting thing was the number of DIFFERENT sports where the UK won medals..
Rowing and cycling have long been UK success stories, but skateboarding, boxing , triathalon, modern pentathalon were all unexpected.

I read somewhere (probably the Beeb website) that GB won medals in 25 different sports, more than any other country
Tokyo Olympics on 01:08 - Aug 10 with 1630 viewsozexile

Tokyo Olympics on 23:09 - Aug 9 by SydneyRs

Australia literally measures it's self worth on Olympic medals and puts a lot of money into making sure it does well. Sport is very well funded here and they have the very best facilities. Also more than half their golds came in a single sport that they are obsessed with and few others care about much. GB got to the funding party later than Australia and has done very well as a result.

A better measure would be size of team and financial resources put into it. Australia's team had around 100 more athletes than team GB, yet GB won 65 medals to their 46.

This was Australia's best games since 2004. New Zealand also had one of its best ever. Both countries largely sailed through covid (due to their govts acting quickly as well as geographic advantage) with limited lockdowns and disruption. That also played a big part with everyone else in chaos and many countries in lockdown for ages.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 1:16]

Yeah agree, the facilities and opportunities here for sport are amazing. Kids here have no idea how lucky they are.
Tokyo Olympics on 05:53 - Aug 10 with 1564 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Tokyo Olympics on 01:08 - Aug 10 by ozexile

Yeah agree, the facilities and opportunities here for sport are amazing. Kids here have no idea how lucky they are.

It’s all well and good gloating about the tremendous efforts of our bemeddled Olympians, the real measure should be: how fit is the nation?

I spent time living in Oz 30 years ago and even then, it was noticeable how abundant the sporting the facilities were. However, it was also clear that access was not prohibited by cost and take up across all ages and abilities, was high.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Tokyo Olympics on 07:11 - Aug 10 with 1508 viewsozexile

Tokyo Olympics on 05:53 - Aug 10 by PlanetHonneywood

It’s all well and good gloating about the tremendous efforts of our bemeddled Olympians, the real measure should be: how fit is the nation?

I spent time living in Oz 30 years ago and even then, it was noticeable how abundant the sporting the facilities were. However, it was also clear that access was not prohibited by cost and take up across all ages and abilities, was high.

That is certainly true for most sports, however Football here is extortionate. It's certainly prohibited by cost. Parents can pay upwards of $700 or $800 a season.
Tokyo Olympics on 11:17 - Aug 10 with 1313 viewsslmrstid

I love the Olympics, and I love our elite Olympic sports are well funded enough to allow our athletes to be competitive and successful.

What I don't love though, is the trickle down into grassroots sport, which is largely appalling. Olympic success is great, but what would be even greater would be if it can have a real positive effect on inspiring people to be active themselves and have the places for them to go and do that.

Too often PE in schools is shunted off and counted as unimportant because the traditional subjects are more worthy for funding etc...and that is something we get badly wrong as a country in my view.

Just this week a skatepark in Stroud that our GB athletes have used is being shut down to make way for new developments, with the council "promising" to replace it but we've seen too many times how things like that play out...
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 11:18]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024