Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rod Liddell 15:49 - Feb 6 with 3226 viewscolinallcars

Not a favourite on here but a good column in the Sunday Times today in which he tells of watching the Man U cup tie on Friday. He's not sure who they were playing as the Sky commentators didn't mention the other team's name.
When this other nameless side attacked they would just say United were a bit slow tracking back.
No mention of the other side after the game but questions like “d'you think United should have played Lingard”
It puts me in mind of what I read here when the Rs have been on Sky.
Rod Liddell on 15:54 - Feb 6 with 3169 viewsNoDiddley

Millwall w@nker
Enough said
Rod Liddell on 16:09 - Feb 6 with 3083 viewsT_Block

Yes read the column.Slightly exaggerated but true.
Manchester Utd is not a football club they are a brand.They are supported not by football fans ,who take their team losing not as a part of the ups and downs of life but rather a reflection of how they view their own lives.If your team loses you are by definition a loser.A team supported by children and the emotionally immature.
Rod Liddell on 16:18 - Feb 6 with 3037 viewshantssi

Rod Liddell on 16:09 - Feb 6 by T_Block

Manchester Utd is not a football club they are a brand.They are supported not by football fans ,who take their team losing not as a part of the ups and downs of life but rather a reflection of how they view their own lives.If your team loses you are by definition a loser.A team supported by children and the emotionally immature.

Reading some of the comments on here after yesterday, you could be describing some of our support!
Rod Liddell on 16:25 - Feb 6 with 3012 viewsWalnut

FWIW, it was ITV not Sky but the principal remains
Rod Liddell on 00:51 - Feb 7 with 2534 viewsbob566

Rod Liddell on 16:09 - Feb 6 by T_Block

You're not wrong. They are a brand. But my 14 year old is a Utd fan (blame his grandad). He played me some man Utd podcast today in the car. The host had targeted hard working players Utd should buy. No superstars on the list. He wanted Ronaldo and pogba moved on to bring these players I'd never heard of in. Said it won't happen cause they won't shift jerseys. It's what the board wants. So my point is they are a brand but not to alot of Utd fans. They were the biggest team long before Ferguson and the glaziers. Think it's unfair to tarnish all their fans as you have.
Rod Liddell on 07:48 - Feb 7 with 2423 viewspeejaybee

Rod Liddell on 00:51 - Feb 7 by bob566

You're not wrong. They are a brand. But my 14 year old is a Utd fan (blame his grandad). He played me some man Utd podcast today in the car. The host had targeted hard working players Utd should buy. No superstars on the list. He wanted Ronaldo and pogba moved on to bring these players I'd never heard of in. Said it won't happen cause they won't shift jerseys. It's what the board wants. So my point is they are a brand but not to alot of Utd fans. They were the biggest team long before Ferguson and the glaziers. Think it's unfair to tarnish all their fans as you have.

When they had the Busby Babes

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Rod Liddell on 08:46 - Feb 7 with 2290 viewsrobith

I'll tell ya who wrote it....Rod Liddle. He's the guy who left his wife for a young wan
Rod Liddell on 08:53 - Feb 7 with 2265 viewsRs_Holy

I watched Southampton v Man City last month and it was very similar ... the sentiment was that Southampton were very lucky to play Man City on a bad night with so many of their superstars failing to perform.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 9:02]
Login to get fewer ads

Rod Liddell on 02:16 - Feb 8 with 1846 viewsbob566

Rod Liddell on 08:46 - Feb 7 by robith

I'll tell ya who wrote it....Rod Liddle. He's the guy who left his wife for a young wan

How I miss him, John Giles, Liam Brady and of course the greatest anchor of all time Bill O'Hourilly. It will never be bettered.
Rod Liddell on 06:27 - Feb 8 with 1755 viewsnix

I agree it's ridiculous sometimes. It's almost like the other team isn't playing. If Man U/Chelsea/Citeh are off par then it's all about what they need to do to get back into the game. If they're doing well then it's falling over themselves to praise them. I guess it's because there are more Man U fans than Burnley/Southampton/Palace fans but I would have thought there are as many neutral fans too and it puts me off watching because it's so ridiculously biased in favour of the bigger clubs.

It's a bit like that in the Championship except that there isn't a Leeds/Newcastle/Villa team in the top three for them to get excited about this season. Hence them praying that Forest get in the play offs so they can drag out old Cloughie videos.

I'm sure there are a lot of very keen Utd fans in Bromley, Hong Kong or Kingston but there are also tons of 'fans' who only know the headline players, never go to games but just contribute to the brand.
Rod Liddell on 08:56 - Feb 8 with 1629 viewsRs_Holy

Rod Liddell on 06:27 - Feb 8 by nix

I agree it's ridiculous sometimes. It's almost like the other team isn't playing. If Man U/Chelsea/Citeh are off par then it's all about what they need to do to get back into the game. If they're doing well then it's falling over themselves to praise them. I guess it's because there are more Man U fans than Burnley/Southampton/Palace fans but I would have thought there are as many neutral fans too and it puts me off watching because it's so ridiculously biased in favour of the bigger clubs.

It's a bit like that in the Championship except that there isn't a Leeds/Newcastle/Villa team in the top three for them to get excited about this season. Hence them praying that Forest get in the play offs so they can drag out old Cloughie videos.

I'm sure there are a lot of very keen Utd fans in Bromley, Hong Kong or Kingston but there are also tons of 'fans' who only know the headline players, never go to games but just contribute to the brand.

agree nix... the last couple of seasons that Lids were in the Championship was just ridiculous... Every other live match was them and I remember a really cringey documentary Sky did at the start of the season they went up. Please don't ever come back to the the Championship ... Bloody Champions of Europe
Rod Liddell on 09:05 - Feb 8 with 1594 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I still remember returning back to my mother in laws (where I was staying) after witnessing the epic 4-1 New Years Day thrashing at united. My brother in law said the pundits were literally speechless as they knew nothing about us. I think from memory they had Denis Law as a pundit so no bias there.
Rod Liddell on 11:15 - Feb 8 with 1466 viewsSonofpugwash

Rod hates R's with a passion but sometimes comes up with cogent arguments that should be applauded.He's beginning to take on the appearance of a shop doorway dosser and sometimes it's difficult to make out his wine glass clutching appearances on tv news review segments through the clouds of cigarette smoke.I fear greatly for his future.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Rod Liddell on 11:25 - Feb 8 with 1442 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Nah your’re alright. Wrongun.

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2003/jan/14/childprotection.rodliddle
[Post edited 8 Feb 2022 11:32]
Rod Liddell on 12:04 - Feb 8 with 1377 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Rod Liddell on 08:53 - Feb 7 by Rs_Holy

I watched Southampton v Man City last month and it was very similar ... the sentiment was that Southampton were very lucky to play Man City on a bad night with so many of their superstars failing to perform.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 9:02]

Sorry, downvote due to fat fingers!
Rod Liddell on 14:29 - Feb 8 with 1272 viewsNewBee

Whether we like it or not (and I most decidedly don't), Man Utd are a "brand" who attract more attention than other clubs, so that in turn they attract more viewers to the TV channels, and consequently sell more adverts and subscriptions etc.

Which is why broadcasters bang on about them ad nauseum.

But complaining about it is like lamp posts complaining about dogs - it won't change anything and you still get pissed upon.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024