Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Field and Stef roles 21:23 - Jul 23 with 3362 viewsDando

Am I the only one who feels a bit concerned by what looks like a switch of roles between Field and Stef, as in field moving further forward and Stef moving further back? Ok the season hasn't started yet, but for me field is vital to protecting the defence. Especially when this year we have lost the experience of Wallace, moses and barbet. Johansen seems more creative and was wasted too deep last year. You can't tell too much from pre season but so far u could argue that the defence looks the weakest position and to have field further forward for me makes no sense. Hope its a genius move, but it worries me as things stand
[Post edited 23 Jul 2022 21:44]
Field and Stef roles on 21:40 - Jul 23 with 3277 viewsLogman

I agree. See my post on the Palace match thread.

I would seriously think about having Albert in the starting line-up next Saturday. He plays with a swagger which will be handy when everyone else is tense and highly programmed. I'd actually put him in ahead of Johansen and drop Sam Field back to the anchor role.
Field and Stef roles on 13:56 - Jul 24 with 2951 viewsstanistheman

I am not convinced by it, but if Johansen. Is considered not fit enough for the high pressing role then maybe it will goes.It is a similar role to the one many midfielders have adopted as age catches up on them. Will have to wait and see how it goes.
Field and Stef roles on 14:10 - Jul 24 with 2911 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I posted as much last week, and I texted a mate at the game yesterday.
He's a poster here so I won't give him a big head, but he knows his stuff, and I trust his opinion. This is what I posted:

"I worry about JoJo as a def-mid.
I've noticed he watches the ball a lot and doesn't watch to see where his men and oppo runners are.
That worries me.
A real anchor man has to be scanning always. Safety first."

We chatted about it, and it was reassuring. He thought that Field was doubling up as a def-mid when needed, and had the legs to do so (only two, very long, but shapely and rather comely {his words, not mine]), and that set-up protected JoJo's stamina and allowed him to concentrate on position and passing. He also said that JoJo was non-stop bossing and gesticulating, which I might have missed on the stream.

All that, FWIW, naturally.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Field and Stef roles on 15:21 - Jul 24 with 2823 viewsaston_hoop

Bit from Mick on the subject

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Field and Stef roles on 21:40 - Jul 24 with 2612 viewsWestbourneR

Said exactly the same on another thread

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Field and Stef roles on 21:59 - Jul 24 with 2560 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I think you need to think of Ray Wilkins when you talk about Johansen. He has so much to offer but you need to compromise to make it work. Which doesn't necessarily need to be a bad thing.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Field and Stef roles on 22:14 - Jul 24 with 2525 viewsDavieQPR

Ah but is he playing as a holding defensive midfielder or as a deep lying playmaker?
Field and Stef roles on 23:24 - Jul 24 with 2381 viewsstanistheman

Wilkins got forward more often than Johansen has been and also had Holloway playing the deeper role.
Login to get fewer ads

Field and Stef roles on 23:39 - Jul 24 with 2342 viewsDejR_vu

I’m not sure SJ will start many games when everyone’s fit.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Field and Stef roles on 06:49 - Jul 25 with 2150 viewsdmm

Who would take over Johansen's role should he not play? I think it would be Dozzell as he was brought in as his understudy.

Field is a great stopper but not really a playmaker. Masterson has been tried out there in preseason but I saw nothing to suggest he'd be capable. None of the other midfielders fit the bill.
Field and Stef roles on 07:58 - Jul 25 with 2036 viewsEastR

More importantly will Field continue to have the opportunity to get booked every other game and pay for the post match beers? Or am I gonna have to start punting on him as an anytime goalscorer?

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Field and Stef roles on 10:07 - Jul 25 with 1853 viewscaliforniahoop

I agree, Field is the only natural DM at the club, if you are going to play SJ, he has to battle it out with Dozzell and Bettache on the left of the three
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024