Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Three at the Back? 13:09 - Dec 30 with 1326 viewsHeadington

It won't be the answer to all the (very worrying) problems but, as others have suggested, might get the best out of the current squad. On their day (though this appears remote now) we have two of the best full-backs, centre backs and number 10s in the Championship and we need a system that brings out these strengths. Far too early to judge Critchley but the formation last night didn't work and didn't make best use of our players: Tim Iroegbunam playing in a defensive midfield role unable to make the kind of runs so effective against Preston; Chair, isolated and out wide on the left (their first goal came from a free run of 60 yards down our left); Tyler Roberts over-played and ineffective in a 10, with Taylor Richards under-played on the bench. Willock and Chair yet to play together under new manager though illness and injury a factor there. Doesn't solve the striker problem and levels of confidence and commitment, but getting the best players in best positions would be a start.
Three at the Back? on 18:13 - Dec 30 with 1223 viewsstainrods_elbow

I know it's early days for the new manager, but his approach last night to the formation/tactics doesn't exactly fill one with confidence he knows what he's doing - it bordered on the perverse. Hopefully he has the ability to learn quickly, or we'll be tumbling.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Three at the Back? on 18:34 - Dec 30 with 1194 viewsTomS

The sentiments are on the money. To improve, and score goals, we need many more of the 3 attackers behind Dykes to position themselves alongside him to take advantage of his knock downs. That didn't happen last night, and it was obvious to everyone.
Three at the Back? on 18:47 - Dec 30 with 1169 viewsdavman

Yes three at the back is a must even if it is Kakay or Masterson in there. In fact ten at the back might be an option.

Also (and I hope Critchley is reading this), Dykes will win NOTHING in the air against Sheff U's CBs, so you had better make sure that whatever lightweights you are thinking about playing in central midfield are ready to pick up those second balls.

Also, Chair AND Willock please; it is NOT an either / or. Play them behind Dykes (or Roberts if you have to); no wingers as our ones aren't very good or are too old now.

REALLY worried about the next game. The its the FA Cup - fckin brilliant, but where will he find a second string to embarrass us against lower league oppo?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Three at the Back? on 18:58 - Dec 30 with 1161 viewsjohngdavis

Three at the Back? on 18:34 - Dec 30 by TomS

The sentiments are on the money. To improve, and score goals, we need many more of the 3 attackers behind Dykes to position themselves alongside him to take advantage of his knock downs. That didn't happen last night, and it was obvious to everyone.

Exactly, very different system to that applied by Beale, not narrow in fact very wide with Shodipo and Chair hugging the touchline, absolutely no connection with Dykes (who cant seem to meet or score from crosses). Hard to see how we can score goals under this system.

Also less narrow at the back and that didin't help last night.
Three at the Back? on 19:06 - Dec 30 with 1151 viewsplasmahoop

I don't think the system is the main problem, it is as Clive said in the report, a complete lack of competition and doing the basics. Running, tackling, fouling, arguing etc.
I hope the 4-4-1-1/4-4-2 can work, and he can mould us into a 'northern' looking team. I can't quite put my finger on what it is but Huddersfield, Blackpool, Preston et Al always have a certain look and physicality about them. And often it is in a 4-4-2 setup.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024