Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
70s discos and clubs 11:42 - Mar 3 with 9842 viewsdmm

I worked in discos and clubs in the 70s and wondered if anyone knew of these three venues, all long gone of course.

Thursdays, a disco on Kensington High Street.

Maximus, a disco in Leicester Square.

No Noise, a 'blues' club on Ladbroke Grove. I didn't work there but would sometimes end up there after finishing work at 3am.
70s discos and clubs on 12:17 - Mar 5 with 889 viewsParkRoyalR

70s discos and clubs on 12:13 - Mar 5 by ParkRoyalR

Yes, off that stretch of King Street between Hammersmith and Chiswick, opposite Ravenscourt Park, proper dodgy, think it was closed down after fella got stabbed to death in the toilets, how desperate were we to go to places like this just to get an extra hours drinking in!

Actually that incident was in Janet's Planet, same clientele, mainly Rangers, The Burlington incidents I can recall were similar mind if not fatal. Rarely needed a late drink that badly!

Also worked on a building site with a huge brickie / bouncer from Luton who was working the door at The Hammersmith Palais the night before the League Cup Final v Oxford, lively night.
70s discos and clubs on 12:40 - Mar 5 with 843 viewshubble

Talking late night drinking, the Globe just off the Bella was a great place to hang out and there was also this dive bar next to Tesco's on Portobello Road that was... fun.

I well remember The Castle in Richmond, a vast, sprawling place with Cheeky Pete's disco underneath it. Used to avoid it like the plague. There were so many great pubs in Richmond late 70s early 80s, with a massive scene made up of every type you can imagine: punks, goths, skins, new romantics, mods, rockers the lot. One pub would be the 'in' place for a bit and then the scene would move somewhere else. The Orange Tree, The Bull and Bush, The Cobwebs, The Cricketers, The Ship.

I used to work as a cocktail barman (before the Human League turned mainstream!) in Cars Cafe on the corner of the High street where you turned right to go over Richmond Bridge, if anyone remembers that. L'Auberge, (which became Crusts), was opposite.

My other fave hangout then was The Nashville in West Ken, corner of North End Road and Talgarth. (My avatar is from the cover of Bike Magazine 1977, and was shot outside). 50p to get in, fully 'democratic' - i.e you could have a drink with the bands before and after.

When me and my girlfriend got into the New Romantic scene (oh yes), we used to go to clubs like The Blitz, The Wag club and the 100 club. Do such scenes exist any more? I fear for the youth of today, chained to their phones whilst their creative imaginations dissolve into mush.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

70s discos and clubs on 13:52 - Mar 5 with 791 viewsdmm

70s discos and clubs on 12:40 - Mar 5 by hubble

Talking late night drinking, the Globe just off the Bella was a great place to hang out and there was also this dive bar next to Tesco's on Portobello Road that was... fun.

I well remember The Castle in Richmond, a vast, sprawling place with Cheeky Pete's disco underneath it. Used to avoid it like the plague. There were so many great pubs in Richmond late 70s early 80s, with a massive scene made up of every type you can imagine: punks, goths, skins, new romantics, mods, rockers the lot. One pub would be the 'in' place for a bit and then the scene would move somewhere else. The Orange Tree, The Bull and Bush, The Cobwebs, The Cricketers, The Ship.

I used to work as a cocktail barman (before the Human League turned mainstream!) in Cars Cafe on the corner of the High street where you turned right to go over Richmond Bridge, if anyone remembers that. L'Auberge, (which became Crusts), was opposite.

My other fave hangout then was The Nashville in West Ken, corner of North End Road and Talgarth. (My avatar is from the cover of Bike Magazine 1977, and was shot outside). 50p to get in, fully 'democratic' - i.e you could have a drink with the bands before and after.

When me and my girlfriend got into the New Romantic scene (oh yes), we used to go to clubs like The Blitz, The Wag club and the 100 club. Do such scenes exist any more? I fear for the youth of today, chained to their phones whilst their creative imaginations dissolve into mush.

I remember Cars very well, Hud. I proposed to my wife there in early 1981. If you were behind the bar then that would be quite extraordinary!
70s discos and clubs on 15:59 - Mar 5 with 717 viewshubble

70s discos and clubs on 13:52 - Mar 5 by dmm

I remember Cars very well, Hud. I proposed to my wife there in early 1981. If you were behind the bar then that would be quite extraordinary!

Ah, so close. I didn't start working there till the summer of 81. What a shame I missed it mate, but maybe I made a cocktail for you once!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

70s discos and clubs on 17:18 - Mar 5 with 671 viewsBoston

H'mm, I've patronized 33 Wardour St as O'Neill's, the Wag and the Whisky A Go Go.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024