Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited 21:41 - May 12 with 3248 viewsWalnut

77/78 QPR v Everton.
Retro games are always fascinating especially when they're not broadcast that often.
Spoiler alert, given the season we've just had, it's typical this game pops up!
ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 21:53 - May 12 with 3211 viewsqprxtc

Oh Gordon Bennett. Nice 1-5 defeat. They couldn’t turn up a few weeks later when we turned the other scousers over. Oh no. Gits.

Bloody telly hates us. Apart from Venables. Or Savalas?
ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 08:57 - May 13 with 2972 viewsTomS

I remember playing in the back garden on a Sunday afternoon, and my dad called me into the house saying that QPR were on The Big Match. Needless to say it was that one. I never forgave him, but I did learn from the experience.

Roll forward many years and I came across one of those Sky Sports 15 minute retro specials, being the 3-2 comeback win against Liverpool. I paused the TV and called in my Liverpool supporting son away from the XBox and said "Liverpool are on against QPR, do you want to watch it?". It's important to pass on these life lessons to the next generation.
ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 11:21 - May 13 with 2847 viewsCamberleyR

Our hapless manager for the following season on Everton's coaching staff I see.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 12:28 - May 13 with 2782 viewsNov77

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 11:21 - May 13 by CamberleyR

Our hapless manager for the following season on Everton's coaching staff I see.

Nice to see him smiling, no doubt doing his best Jack Nicholson impression, ‘wait ‘til they get a load of me’.

We had 5 internationals in that side, staggering what Sibley and burtenshaw did in those two years.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 13:04 - May 13 with 2748 viewsWalnut

Did anyone here go home and away that season?
ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 13:44 - May 13 with 2708 viewsSnipper

That was my first ever match. I watched it on The Big Match the next day too.

Obviously a glutton for punishment.
ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 13:57 - May 13 with 2697 viewsstowmarketrange

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 13:04 - May 13 by Walnut

I went to birmingham,coventry and Ipswich away that season and we lost them all.No change there then.I had a season ticket in the loft courtesy of selling the club’s lottery tickets to my parents.
ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 15:24 - May 13 with 2635 viewsAirtomoreira

I was at that game, seem to recall some sort of incident between Stan and I think it was Bob Latchford in the second half, near corner of The Loft and SAR...did Stan drop his shorts, or am I making it all up?
Login to get fewer ads

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 11:55 - May 14 with 2392 viewsCamberleyR

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 12:28 - May 13 by Nov77

Nice to see him smiling, no doubt doing his best Jack Nicholson impression, ‘wait ‘til they get a load of me’.

We had 5 internationals in that side, staggering what Sibley and burtenshaw did in those two years.

Agreed. I've said it before on here but in Burtenshaw's season how we only managed six wins all season with a side that had Clement, Gillard, Hollins, Francis, Bowles, Roeder, Eastoe, an emerging Goddard and Parkes (until February) is beyond belief. He finished the job that Frank Sibley didn't do the previous season.

Frank is a Rangers man through and through but how Jim Gregory and the board for his first managerial job thought he was a suitable replacement after Dave Sexton takes some fathoming.It was far too big for him.

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 16:28 - May 14 with 2311 viewsNW5Hoop

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 13:44 - May 13 by Snipper

That was my first ever match. I watched it on The Big Match the next day too.

Obviously a glutton for punishment.

Mine too
ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 00:57 - May 15 with 2162 viewsjohncharles

Dave Thomas playing for Everton 😵‍💫

Strong and stable my arse.

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 09:42 - May 15 with 2050 viewsCamberleyR

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 00:57 - May 15 by johncharles

Dave Thomas playing for Everton 😵‍💫

I haven't read his book but does anyone remember why we sold Dave Thomas in the 1977 close season? Did he ask for a transfer or were we just looking for funds to rebuild the side so were open to offers? That season he must have made a shitload of goals for Bob Latchford.

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 12:33 - May 15 with 1964 viewsNov77

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 09:42 - May 15 by CamberleyR

I haven't read his book but does anyone remember why we sold Dave Thomas in the 1977 close season? Did he ask for a transfer or were we just looking for funds to rebuild the side so were open to offers? That season he must have made a shitload of goals for Bob Latchford.

He’d only just signed a new contract, he said he never asked for or wanted a move. Crazy decision
Same with Phil parkes when he was sold.

I think Jim was cashing in. 77-79 was a real low point for Gregory in his decision making.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 20:42 - May 15 with 1813 viewsstowmarketrange

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 12:33 - May 15 by Nov77

He’d only just signed a new contract, he said he never asked for or wanted a move. Crazy decision

I think Jim was cashing in. 77-79 was a real low point for Gregory in his decision making.

Wasn’t it something to do with his allotment?Or did he not want to go because of his allotment?
Unlike Mark Hateley who had to get out of town because he’d sowed his seeds in the wrong patch.
[Post edited 15 May 2023 20:44]
ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 12:09 - May 16 with 1697 viewsDWQPR

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 12:33 - May 15 by Nov77

Gregory’s biggest mistake was not strengthening the team in 1976. After the splurge he’d made in the 72-73 season spending much more than the Marsh money on Givens, Bowles and Thomas, to not look to a successor for McLintock, Webb and Hollins and another striker to compete with Givens was a major mistake. Especially given that he had rebuilt the ground to hold 32,000 and now had one of the best teams in the country.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 12:31 - May 16 with 1673 viewsCamberleyR

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 12:09 - May 16 by DWQPR

Gregory’s biggest mistake was not strengthening the team in 1976. After the splurge he’d made in the 72-73 season spending much more than the Marsh money on Givens, Bowles and Thomas, to not look to a successor for McLintock, Webb and Hollins and another striker to compete with Givens was a major mistake. Especially given that he had rebuilt the ground to hold 32,000 and now had one of the best teams in the country.

The centre backs were the problem mainly. We'd signed Needham as McLintock's replacement which was a good signing but then sold him six months later to replace him with Ernie Howe who was nowhere near being a first division player.

Webb was then sold in September 1977 and wasn't properly replaced. Sibley tried making do and mend with Ron Abbott, Tommy Cunningham, Steve Perkins and even Don Shanks had a go for several games which is what they did the previous season when Gerry Francis was injured and tried replacing him with Kelly and Leach rather than sign someone like Alan Ball who was available.

Don't know how much truth there is in that rumour that we were used as a go between for Needham's transfer to Forest as Notts Co wouldn't directly sell him to their closest rival to appease their fans.

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 12:37 - May 16 with 1667 viewsTheChef

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 12:31 - May 16 by CamberleyR

The centre backs were the problem mainly. We'd signed Needham as McLintock's replacement which was a good signing but then sold him six months later to replace him with Ernie Howe who was nowhere near being a first division player.

Webb was then sold in September 1977 and wasn't properly replaced. Sibley tried making do and mend with Ron Abbott, Tommy Cunningham, Steve Perkins and even Don Shanks had a go for several games which is what they did the previous season when Gerry Francis was injured and tried replacing him with Kelly and Leach rather than sign someone like Alan Ball who was available.

Don't know how much truth there is in that rumour that we were used as a go between for Needham's transfer to Forest as Notts Co wouldn't directly sell him to their closest rival to appease their fans.

Hmm that would explain it re Needham.

Not bad work I suppose, go to Forest and pick up a few trophies.

He pops up in the doco I Believe In Miracles about the Forest side - it's excellent, well worth a watch.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 12:51 - May 16 with 1649 viewsenfieldargh

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 13:04 - May 13 by Walnut

went to Wolves, Wet Spam, Arse, Cov, Ipswich,

I started a job on Saturday mornings so all those early season.

Ipswich away was extremely tasty, remember jackets being set on fire and lobbed over the partion fences

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 13:06 - May 16 with 1633 viewsCamberleyR

ITV4 1030am Saturday - Big Match Revisited on 12:37 - May 16 by TheChef

Hmm that would explain it re Needham.

Not bad work I suppose, go to Forest and pick up a few trophies.

He pops up in the doco I Believe In Miracles about the Forest side - it's excellent, well worth a watch.

We did make £50k on him in six months but then blew that on a dud like Howe who was nowhere near as good.

The 'I Believe In Miracles' doc is excellent as you say but I could watch or read anything about Brian Clough really. I've recently started the Jonathan Wilson biography on him 'Nobody Ever Says Thankyou' but haven't got very far. It'll probably be one of my holiday reads.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024