Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trust meeting with the club 20:14 - May 19 with 6006 views442Dale

https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2023/05/meeting-with-the-club-16-5/

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Trust meeting with the club on 22:31 - May 19 with 5812 viewsYorkshire_Dale

It would be useful if the names of those in attendance (from all parties)are added to the meeting minutes, just for future reference?

Thank you.
Trust meeting with the club on 00:49 - May 20 with 5725 viewspioneer

They are not good with numbers are they.

How many usually requires something numeric as an answer.

We will all have our interpretations of why they chose not to specify a number
Trust meeting with the club on 06:54 - May 20 with 5605 viewsTalkingSutty

The Chairman told me in March when i spoke to him about bringing in outside investors that the Directors NEED to recoup their outlay on the shares that they purchased. He followed that up by saying that his financial circumstances are less pressing and he is under no pressure to sell..so he also touched on his own financial circumstances during the discussion. That conversation was in the Dale Bar prior to the Stevenage game. It's the opposite to what he told the Trust at this meeting. If any fan wants to speak to the Chairman you can sometimes find him pre-match in the Dale Bar.

So McNulty's appointment was based on his interview, he stood out from the other candidates apparently..that was the same scenario that brought about Stockdales appointment. In Mc Nulty's recent games we've already seen a few when we've hardly registered a shot on target. He's informed us that he doesn't look at the league table, so it's natural that there are misgivings about this appointment. Those in the Boardroom prefer to concentrate on a no doubt well presented and researched interview process though. We've recently seen how that panned out when Stockdale seduced them with a convincing sales pitch. This is what football people do and non football people ( our current board) are easily impressed.

We'll have to get behind McNulty and hopefully he will realise that winning football matches is what he will be judged on, so that will be his number one priority..results. We'll have to hope that those in the Boardroom suddenly re-energise the club and have it firing on all cylinders, just like they promised at the outset. I hope they reach out to those offering help, they obviously need it. I'm sceptical about the lot of it and view next season with trepidation, every season is like groundhog day now isn't it, it's not enjoyable anymore. I hope to be pleasantly surprised though.

Thanks to the Trust for their efforts on this.
[Post edited 20 May 2023 7:37]
Trust meeting with the club on 07:18 - May 20 with 5564 viewsD_Alien

This exchange of views/information is of course welcome, but it does raise the question of the role of the Trust rep on the Board (i emphasise the role, not the individual).

Would it be incorrect to think the answers to these questions would already be known, given that a Trust rep would be present when these issues are being formally discussed during Board meetings?

Or if they're not being discussed but some of these responses result from "behind the scenes" unminuted conversations, wouldn't that raise alarm bells?

So these answers are either new information (to the Trust) or the NDA which binds the Trust rep can be broken when the BoD choose to do so. This would potentially place the Trust rep in an invidious position.

The role is still, as far as i'm aware (as a Trust member) under review from the outcomes of the recent Trust forums. With potential new owners, further clarification is required e.g. could they dismiss the role, and if any of the answers given during this meeting clash with their understanding of these matters, what recourse would there be?

[Post edited 20 May 2023 7:33]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Trust meeting with the club on 08:40 - May 20 with 5457 viewsSaxonDale

‘There has been significant additional costs such as sacking of the manager’ is this a typo or the suggestion that one sacking was more significant in expense than the other? I was always under the impression that a club would only pay sacked members of a management team until they found new employment (up to a year after dismissal.) Unless the contracts signed by Stockdale and Shan were different, I think we got off very lightly compared to what we could have paid.

I also presumed the extremely delayed sacking of Bentley was to negotiate a relatively small compensation package. I presume there was a clause saying he’d receive almost no compensation if we were relegated under him.

https://www.mkdons.com/news/2023/january/stockdale-appointed-assistant-head-

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday
Trust meeting with the club on 09:10 - May 20 with 5413 views442Dale

<<“ Q: At what stage was a share issue planned as part of any strategy, and why was it required if a) the costs were under control and b) a decision had already been made to significantly increase the playing budget?

It was made clear at the EGM in November that as a business the Club will lose a million pounds a year, and this is in line with the last five years of the Club Finances are always helped by Cup Runs and Player trading, neither of which we have benefitted from over the past season. There is a lack of cash coming into the Club needed to run the business. There has been significant additional costs such as sacking of the manager as well as the legal fees as alluded to in the recent Chairman’s statement.”>>

For reference:
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2022/april/chairmanmessageseasoncards_22-23/
“the club has a stable financial platform and cash reserves to be well positioned for next season. We have returned during 2021/22 to being a properly and prudently run football club…”
“…we seek to achieve break even or better financial result in each operating season.”
“The Board is planning for a significantly increased playing budget for next season.”

The inability to actually answer the question “at what stage was a share issue planned as part of any strategy…?” is disappointing. Simply inform the club’s largest shareholder and supporters of when this happened. That particular question doesn’t indicate the requirement for a series of justifications of why there was a share issue. But it was predictable that it would get them whilst not really referencing points a) and b).
[Post edited 20 May 2023 9:24]

Trust meeting with the club on 09:12 - May 20 with 5410 viewsBillyRudd

Having read the statement in the hope of catching some hope, or at least a little enthusiasm for the coming campaign, I was left sadly disappointed.
We have an inexperienced manager, given the job, apparently on the basis that he can talk the talk, in an interview. An in-house appointment with frightening parallels with a certain BBM. I hope that goes better the second time around.
We have a Board that in hock to the tune of £500k seemingly now rely on a faceless outside body for decision making. I am quite prepared to accept that the Boards priority is "survival of the club". I also sadly recognise that the boards only means of recouping that money is via an outside investor. That situation sadly is fraught with danger.
We have a fanbase that after the last 4 years, if this forum is any gauge is weary, disenchanted and crying out for reconnection with the club. Most fans of my acquaintance can endure the misery on the pitch but the feeling this Board manage to convey, that more or less everything clubwise should be on a "need to know" basis really does rankle.
Oh well. What could possibly go wrong?
On a positive note some facts I have learn,t only recently regarding the National League (via the kindly Notts County gentleman) I find very attractive. Five on the bench max, no ridiculous transfer window and a localised Xmas fixture list I fully agree with. I have also long thought that the National League play off system is much fairer to all concerned. Why it has,nt been adopted by the EFL I have no idea, but would guess that money comes into the equation soewhere along the line.
Interesting times ahead indeed.
Up the Dale
Trust meeting with the club on 09:52 - May 20 with 5337 viewselectricblue

Reading the trust meeting with the board their answers come across as though they are bot orientated.

No real answers at all tbh.

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Login to get fewer ads

Trust meeting with the club on 10:18 - May 20 with 5308 viewsNorthernDale

May did anyone ask, as the board a long-term plan or have they done any planning for the few years in terms of what will are league status be and how to get us on good and stable financial footing in the long-term. These are vital questions that should be asked and answered.
Trust meeting with the club on 11:53 - May 20 with 5160 viewsJames1980

How quickly were they realistically expecting the latest issue of shares to be sold?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Trust meeting with the club on 14:28 - May 20 with 5000 views49thseason

Trust meeting with the club on 09:12 - May 20 by BillyRudd

Having read the statement in the hope of catching some hope, or at least a little enthusiasm for the coming campaign, I was left sadly disappointed.
We have an inexperienced manager, given the job, apparently on the basis that he can talk the talk, in an interview. An in-house appointment with frightening parallels with a certain BBM. I hope that goes better the second time around.
We have a Board that in hock to the tune of £500k seemingly now rely on a faceless outside body for decision making. I am quite prepared to accept that the Boards priority is "survival of the club". I also sadly recognise that the boards only means of recouping that money is via an outside investor. That situation sadly is fraught with danger.
We have a fanbase that after the last 4 years, if this forum is any gauge is weary, disenchanted and crying out for reconnection with the club. Most fans of my acquaintance can endure the misery on the pitch but the feeling this Board manage to convey, that more or less everything clubwise should be on a "need to know" basis really does rankle.
Oh well. What could possibly go wrong?
On a positive note some facts I have learn,t only recently regarding the National League (via the kindly Notts County gentleman) I find very attractive. Five on the bench max, no ridiculous transfer window and a localised Xmas fixture list I fully agree with. I have also long thought that the National League play off system is much fairer to all concerned. Why it has,nt been adopted by the EFL I have no idea, but would guess that money comes into the equation soewhere along the line.
Interesting times ahead indeed.
Up the Dale

We had an experienced Manager in Bentley and fat lot of good it did us. we have to face the fact that players these days are not the "old Pro's" we remember, the ones who played their guts out for peanuts and retired with the dream of owning a pub. These days, they get leased cars, clean laundry every day, overnights in hotels and perfect training facilities, they are not going to respond to someone who hasn't been there and done it recently or who hasn't had the same experiences.
There isn't much you can force a player to do when you get a call from his agent saying he is unhappy and wants to move out knowing that there is always a payday somewhere else.

I think the current financial climate will have, is having, an effect on most lower league clubs, particularly the ones with the smallest fan -bases. but even some of the big teams will be dragged into trouble by rising interest rates.

That we didn't fix the financial roof when the sun was shining is now kicking us in the gonads. Survival as a club is now the driving force and that will mean cheaper options, smaller squads and players out of work which will eventually cool their wage demands. Its not a bad time to clean house and rebuild, but we have to do that as a priority, not expect to sign Billy Sharp or whoever just because they are available. The Club is bigger than our personal expectations, we may not like the way the board is working, but the inevitable question is this " in the circumstances what other options are there?". Not many I would surmise
Trust meeting with the club on 15:48 - May 20 with 4924 viewsBillyRudd

Trust meeting with the club on 14:28 - May 20 by 49thseason

We had an experienced Manager in Bentley and fat lot of good it did us. we have to face the fact that players these days are not the "old Pro's" we remember, the ones who played their guts out for peanuts and retired with the dream of owning a pub. These days, they get leased cars, clean laundry every day, overnights in hotels and perfect training facilities, they are not going to respond to someone who hasn't been there and done it recently or who hasn't had the same experiences.
There isn't much you can force a player to do when you get a call from his agent saying he is unhappy and wants to move out knowing that there is always a payday somewhere else.

I think the current financial climate will have, is having, an effect on most lower league clubs, particularly the ones with the smallest fan -bases. but even some of the big teams will be dragged into trouble by rising interest rates.

That we didn't fix the financial roof when the sun was shining is now kicking us in the gonads. Survival as a club is now the driving force and that will mean cheaper options, smaller squads and players out of work which will eventually cool their wage demands. Its not a bad time to clean house and rebuild, but we have to do that as a priority, not expect to sign Billy Sharp or whoever just because they are available. The Club is bigger than our personal expectations, we may not like the way the board is working, but the inevitable question is this " in the circumstances what other options are there?". Not many I would surmise

I don,t disagree with any of that 49th but instantly off the top of my head a couple of options for the board spring to mind.
Stop promising initiatives such as seeking fan based help and then fail to deliver. It fosters a disconnect with those willing to help especially as we are then treated like mushrooms.
Get rid of the consultants and employ an experienced CEO . I have read somewhere on here (can,t remember where) that consultants are a cheaper option. I will candidly say that I very much doubt that.
I heard anecdotally (so feel free to shoot me down if it is incorrect) that the lad selling programmes on the Wilbutts, Sandy Lane corner was selling them from a carrier bag at the end of the season. When asked where his trolly was, he stated that the wheels had fallen off (the trolly not the club) and the club could,nt afford to fix it. Are we to actually believe that in the whole of our fan base there is,nt someone who could fettle some trolly wheels gratis. Its a trivial issue but for me it sums up where we are as a club.
Time will tell. If we are mid table at Christmas then hopefully everyone will be getting their mojo back. Sadly I,m in the pessimistic camp. Hope I,m proved well and truly wrong.
Up the Dale
Trust meeting with the club on 16:09 - May 20 with 4897 views49thseason

Trust meeting with the club on 15:48 - May 20 by BillyRudd

I don,t disagree with any of that 49th but instantly off the top of my head a couple of options for the board spring to mind.
Stop promising initiatives such as seeking fan based help and then fail to deliver. It fosters a disconnect with those willing to help especially as we are then treated like mushrooms.
Get rid of the consultants and employ an experienced CEO . I have read somewhere on here (can,t remember where) that consultants are a cheaper option. I will candidly say that I very much doubt that.
I heard anecdotally (so feel free to shoot me down if it is incorrect) that the lad selling programmes on the Wilbutts, Sandy Lane corner was selling them from a carrier bag at the end of the season. When asked where his trolly was, he stated that the wheels had fallen off (the trolly not the club) and the club could,nt afford to fix it. Are we to actually believe that in the whole of our fan base there is,nt someone who could fettle some trolly wheels gratis. Its a trivial issue but for me it sums up where we are as a club.
Time will tell. If we are mid table at Christmas then hopefully everyone will be getting their mojo back. Sadly I,m in the pessimistic camp. Hope I,m proved well and truly wrong.
Up the Dale

Its the little things that you notice first. maybe if the club are not going to get involved with the Volunteer Army, the best way forward is for the Trust to adopt the idea and start creating a register of skills and interests in the fan base that is prepared to do stuff. Lets not forget, most of the Directors have their own businesses to run as well as the Football Club, I doubt there is anyone around often enough to fix the little things , even George Delves must have a lot on his plate at the moment with contracts etc.

Per the Consultants, I think the statement was that they are cheaper than hiring a Director of Football, essentially I guess they will produce lists of targets (players) for the Manager to explore and do some of the background on other teams at a depth that would probably be a full time job at other clubs. I don't think its a bad move in that they clearly have access to data we would have to buy on top of a salary we would have to pay out. Overall its a good compromise until it isn't for some reason and gives us the opportunity to see if we regard it as value for money, time will tell.
Trust meeting with the club on 11:28 - May 21 with 4440 viewsJames1980

Be interesting to know the following regards employing McNulty as full time head coach

Was he the first and only candidate offered the role?

Who were the other four candidates?

Did they all know the position was role of Head Coach?

What were the wage expectations and was JM"s the lowest?

Trust meeting with the club on 13:27 - May 21 with 4286 viewsNewbury_Dale

Trust meeting with the club on 11:28 - May 21 by James1980

Be interesting to know the following regards employing McNulty as full time head coach

Was he the first and only candidate offered the role?

Who were the other four candidates?

Did they all know the position was role of Head Coach?

What were the wage expectations and was JM"s the lowest?

Unrealistic to expect any sporting organization; fan 'owned' or otherwise, to divulge such information. McNulty is starting the season as manager. No point discussing the selection process now.
Trust meeting with the club on 09:20 - May 22 with 3850 viewsChaffRAFC

Jim has got the job, that's all we need to know and all we should know really. Everything else is hearsay that shouldn't be commented on. You can't exactly come out and say, oh we we approached Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola but they had release clauses that we couldn't afford so we had to settle with Jim.

McNulty is the choice, regardless of the circumstances. He didn't specifically come out and say he doesn't do league tables, he said, we know what position we're in so we just concentrate on winning the next game. People are painting him in the same light as BBM and I don't think it's fair.

This is a clean slate, people need to get behind him.

Even bringing up previous managers doesn't help, Jim is different to Stockdale who was different to Bentley who was different to BBM. I don't think it's helpful, clean slate, new start, lets get behind the team, the manager, the club.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Trust meeting with the club on 13:14 - May 22 with 3598 viewsEllGazzell

Trust meeting with the club on 09:20 - May 22 by ChaffRAFC

Jim has got the job, that's all we need to know and all we should know really. Everything else is hearsay that shouldn't be commented on. You can't exactly come out and say, oh we we approached Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola but they had release clauses that we couldn't afford so we had to settle with Jim.

McNulty is the choice, regardless of the circumstances. He didn't specifically come out and say he doesn't do league tables, he said, we know what position we're in so we just concentrate on winning the next game. People are painting him in the same light as BBM and I don't think it's fair.

This is a clean slate, people need to get behind him.

Even bringing up previous managers doesn't help, Jim is different to Stockdale who was different to Bentley who was different to BBM. I don't think it's helpful, clean slate, new start, lets get behind the team, the manager, the club.

HEAR HEAR

Well Said Chaff lad as is normally the case! On a side note, are you still doing the Dale player ratings for Player Manager?

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

Trust meeting with the club on 13:55 - May 22 with 3527 viewsChaffRAFC

Trust meeting with the club on 13:14 - May 22 by EllGazzell

HEAR HEAR

Well Said Chaff lad as is normally the case! On a side note, are you still doing the Dale player ratings for Player Manager?

For Football Manager I am yeah mate, longest serving researcher in the football league currently, obviously that changes next season through no fault of my own!

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Trust meeting with the club on 19:15 - May 22 with 3165 viewsJames1980

Of course I will be full square behind Jim and the team. Also I know the questions I asked wouldn't be answered (well unless an itk bod or insider leaked more information). What I want to know really is that the board are learning lessons from how things have gone in the past.

Trust meeting with the club on 19:56 - May 22 with 3098 views442Dale

Trust meeting with the club on 19:15 - May 22 by James1980

Of course I will be full square behind Jim and the team. Also I know the questions I asked wouldn't be answered (well unless an itk bod or insider leaked more information). What I want to know really is that the board are learning lessons from how things have gone in the past.

That will become apparent by their decisions and actions, not least with respect to working with the Trust on the back of all the work they and supporters have put into the meetings a few weeks ago.

It’s certainly not been that great so far.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024