Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) 10:06 - Jul 15 with 1693 viewsjoe90

Good people of Loft for Words, I need to tap into your collective knowledge…

I’m travelling to Scotland with the family at the end of August and would be grateful for any tips or suggestions of places to visit/see. We’re planning to rent a car, but would also consider trains if there are any scenic routes?

Thanks in advance.
Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 10:15 - Jul 15 with 1657 viewshantssi

I guess it depends what you are after really and how long you’ve got.
The west coast is beautiful, obviously the mountains/highlands (although I don’t really like Avimore), Edinburgh, Perth is lovely as well.
Personally I’d go up the west coast, through Glencoe to Fort William, across to Inverness via Loch Ness and back down the east to Edinburgh.
This means you miss out on Skye which would be a shame.
Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 10:22 - Jul 15 with 1627 viewsE15Hoop

I took my girlfriend up to Oban a few years ago. Anywhere around that region, you can't really go wrong - beautiful scenery, loads of boat trips you can do, plenty of quaint small towns to visit.
If you're driving, you'll be going along the Loch Lomond coastal road (I forget which A road it is now) which is one of my most favourite drives. Simply breathtaking views.
As an aside, Glasgow is brilliant for nightlife - you'll undoubtedly make a whole bunch of friends in any pub, Just be careful if anyone offers to give you a "Glasgow kiss"!
Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 10:23 - Jul 15 with 1625 viewsNorthantsHoop

We have just been on a week's holiday to the Scottish Highlands, absolutely stunning up there. We stayed in Carrbridge in the Cairngorms, near Aviemore. We were on a coach tour but highlights were Inverness, Black Isle, the Strathspey Steam Railway, the Speyside Whiskey Trail, Loch Ness, over to the West side is Fort Augustus, Fort William and the Jacobite railway which has the famous Glenfinnan viaduct (Harry Potter train) that runs from Mallaig to Fort William. Also if in the Inverness area the Culloden battlefield is worth a visit. It was stunning up there and for early July the weather was good.
Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 10:59 - Jul 15 with 1556 viewskernowhoop

The west and north-west trump everything for me - stunning, especially where the mountains come down to the sea. Train is OK in certain places (the village of Plockton is delightful and it has a station), but, I'm afraid you need your own transport to see most of the north-west. Wonderful places like the areas around Ullapool, Lochinver and further north are not served by the railway.
Not sure what your accommodation plans are, but, beware. Scotland gets very booked-up. It is not unknown for Skye to be 'full' and for tourist chiefs to discourage further visitors.
Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 11:03 - Jul 15 with 1543 viewsCateLeBonR

I’ve only been to Scotland once and stayed in a b&b in Inverness for a few nights, right on the banks of the River Ness. One day I took the ‘Kyle Line’ which runs north from Inverness and then west through the highlands over to Loch Carron and eventually Kyle of Localsh. Many of the highland views were obscured by cloud but it cleared the further west I went. My stop was Plockton which is a lovely little place on the West coast with a very nice little restaurant called The Shores. I watched the sun sinking over the Isles from the Plockton viewpoint (Carn na Frith-aird Viewpoint). With the changing light over the ancient coast of Applecross Peninsular, one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen 👍🏻
Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 11:14 - Jul 15 with 1521 views81A

Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 10:59 - Jul 15 by kernowhoop

The west and north-west trump everything for me - stunning, especially where the mountains come down to the sea. Train is OK in certain places (the village of Plockton is delightful and it has a station), but, I'm afraid you need your own transport to see most of the north-west. Wonderful places like the areas around Ullapool, Lochinver and further north are not served by the railway.
Not sure what your accommodation plans are, but, beware. Scotland gets very booked-up. It is not unknown for Skye to be 'full' and for tourist chiefs to discourage further visitors.

We were there last week of May - the weather can make such a difference to your experience. We travelled exclusively by rail; into Glasgow Central then out to Helensburgh (views over the Clyde, Hill House recommended). Train up to Fort William (gorgeous scenery both sides). From there took the Jacobite steam train to Mallaig (loadsa American Harry Potter geeks). South to Stirling (superb castle), then Edinburgh which was mobbed (we were there for Springsteen). The underground city walking tour was good fun. Then back to the smoke down the East Coast.
McLoved it. Enjoy
Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 11:46 - Jul 15 with 1473 viewsSydneyRs

Fantastic place to spend some time.

Fort William, Inverness, Stirling, Skye all worth visiting. Edinburgh for culture and beauty, Glasgow for soul and great people. A night out in Sauchiehall Street is a must.

Also loved a small town called Ullapool which I think featured in the TV show Hamish Macbeth. Was surreal sitting in the pub there close to 11pm and still daylight outside.

Beauty everywhere you go one you are out on the road.
Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 11:57 - Jul 15 with 1451 viewsdmm

If you're going to Edinburgh, which you really must do, best to leave it to the end of your holiday. The festival finishes end of August and there'll be lots of clearing up to do afterward and beautiful Auld Reekie won't be looking its best then.
Login to get fewer ads

Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 12:06 - Jul 15 with 1434 viewsjoe90

Thanks for all the tips!

We’re getting the Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness and will rent a car from there. What we do next is still undecided. We plan to end the trip in Glasgow and get the train back to London from there. We’ll be in Scotland for about 12 days. We’re planning do make it more of an outdoor trip then a city break.

Probably should have included this info in the OP.
Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 12:53 - Jul 15 with 1339 viewsQPR_John

Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 10:23 - Jul 15 by NorthantsHoop

We have just been on a week's holiday to the Scottish Highlands, absolutely stunning up there. We stayed in Carrbridge in the Cairngorms, near Aviemore. We were on a coach tour but highlights were Inverness, Black Isle, the Strathspey Steam Railway, the Speyside Whiskey Trail, Loch Ness, over to the West side is Fort Augustus, Fort William and the Jacobite railway which has the famous Glenfinnan viaduct (Harry Potter train) that runs from Mallaig to Fort William. Also if in the Inverness area the Culloden battlefield is worth a visit. It was stunning up there and for early July the weather was good.

What company did you go with the Whisky Trail looks interesting
Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 14:08 - Jul 15 with 1246 viewsQPR_Hibs

Easter Road is worth a visit but I wouldn't bother with Tynecastle.

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 14:31 - Jul 15 with 1209 viewsdmm

Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 14:08 - Jul 15 by QPR_Hibs

Easter Road is worth a visit but I wouldn't bother with Tynecastle.

Oi, I'm a Jambo! Tynecastle is lovely
Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 14:59 - Jul 15 with 1183 viewsCateLeBonR

Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 12:06 - Jul 15 by joe90

Thanks for all the tips!

We’re getting the Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness and will rent a car from there. What we do next is still undecided. We plan to end the trip in Glasgow and get the train back to London from there. We’ll be in Scotland for about 12 days. We’re planning do make it more of an outdoor trip then a city break.

Probably should have included this info in the OP.

If you’re driving then apparently the road between Invergarry and Kyle of Lockalsh (A87) is very nice. Quite a few options for onward travel from there. Also to the north of Inverness I heard good things about Cromarty.

If you like walking then I can recommend the route between Invermoriston and Drumnadrochit. There’s a low route and a high route but neither were particularly challenging from memory. There’s a bus you can get there and back from Inverness. Also worth checking out the River Ness and Caledonian Canal near Inverness. Keep an eye out for Kingfisher! Also I heard good things about Cromarty to the north

I had a very nice breakfast in the Waterfront pub in Inverness while I was there, washed down with a pint local ale. I also had a good drink in the Phoenix Ale House one night which seems to get mixed reviews but I thought it was alright.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2023 15:31]
Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 16:02 - Jul 15 with 1114 viewsNorthantsHoop

Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 12:53 - Jul 15 by QPR_John

What company did you go with the Whisky Trail looks interesting

Newmarket Holidays, but unfortunately even though we drove the Whisky trail the distillery visit was cancelled, which was disappointing, we ended up visiting the Whisky Castle in Tomintoul the highest village in the Highlands, bought a lovely bottle of Tomintoul single malt.
Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 16:10 - Jul 15 with 1092 viewsQPR_John

Travel advice - Scotland (Non QPR) on 16:02 - Jul 15 by NorthantsHoop

Newmarket Holidays, but unfortunately even though we drove the Whisky trail the distillery visit was cancelled, which was disappointing, we ended up visiting the Whisky Castle in Tomintoul the highest village in the Highlands, bought a lovely bottle of Tomintoul single malt.

Thanks
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024