Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer holiday book recommendations 13:58 - Jul 20 with 4916 viewstraininvain

Looking for some inspiration ahead of upcoming holidays and presumably others are in the same boat.

Don’t mind a bit of fiction or non fiction. Not so keen on business/life coaching type books.

Please share any ideas and apologies if there’s already a similar thread but couldn’t see anything.
Summer holiday book recommendations on 11:30 - Jul 25 with 778 viewsDubaiR

Just finished Killing Thatcher on holiday, about the Brighton bomb. Very good
Summer holiday book recommendations on 12:07 - Jul 25 with 718 viewsSonofNorfolt

As I'm not off gallivanting for a fortnight, I have a box of 'Guilty by association' sitting here ready to go to anyone wishing to procure one. £13 & £3 postage.
I think it's good anyway.

melh64@hotmail.co.uk
Summer holiday book recommendations on 12:44 - Jul 25 with 667 viewsderbyhoop

Val McDermid 1979
Typical crime thriller, set in the winter of discontent. Could be semi-autobiographical
Took me 3 days to read cover to cover

If you want something more political and thought provoking try
Brexit Unfolded: How no one got what they wanted (and why they were never going to)
by Professor Chris Grey
He does a weekly blog and provides very clear analyses

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Summer holiday book recommendations on 11:09 - Jul 30 with 513 viewshubble

Summer holiday book recommendations on 10:02 - Jul 21 by MrSheen

Mitchell is a magician, but "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet" is exceptional. Our hero is a Dutch officer stranded on duty on Dejima Island, Japan's only contact with the outside world, at the beginning of the 19th Century. He's just great at depicting the difficult interaction of the lost world we are familiar with - Europeans in the service of Empire - and the one we know almost nothing of, Shogunate Japan. Completely brilliant.

I'm already a Mitchell fan (as you may have guessed). As far as I'm concerned he's the most exciting novelist of the 21st century. So many thanks for the 'Thousand Autumns' recommendation. I bought a copy yesterday and already I am enchanted. Fabulous historical fiction of the highest order.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024