Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 2024 General Election 14:36 - Oct 10 with 13063 viewsjohnlangy

If Labour do win the 2024 General Election they will find themselves in a very strange situation regarding what they are able to achieve, at least in the short term.

People always want big, bold statements regarding huge investments in infrastructure, house building, energy developments to relieve our dependancy on other countries oil/gas and so on.

But I was struck by something Peter Kyle said yesterday. Labour will I’m sure make some major policy announcements but he also said this. Paraphrasing, he said it is shameful but it would be a huge achievement to get to a place where people could get an appointment with their GP, to get their NHS treatment that they’ve been waiting on for X years or to get a dental appointment.

He could have also said it would be an amazing achievement if, when people are mugged or their house is burgled that the police would turn up to investigate.

It’s a dreadful situation for the country to be in that the basic pillars of a civilised society aren’t there any more.

I’ve mentioned health but then there’s education (how many thousands of teachers are needed to fill all the vacancies which means our children’s education is suffering ?). And policing (see above) – the service is 20,000 officers short. No wonder the streets are becoming lawless. Then there’s the Prison Service and the CPS. It is all an utter shambles.

As far as I can see it all of this is down to one thing and that’s the austerity that the Conservatives have imposed on the country since 2010. They cut back massively in all departments in order to ‘bring the countries enormous debt down’. They asked that people accept the need for this pain and go along with it and that there was no other way to achieve the goal.

And after the pain of all that austerity where are we now ? In 2010 the debt was less than £1 trillion. It is now £2.6 trillion.

If they have cut back so enormously on spending, which by extension means that they were also able to cut back on borrowing, could someone explain to me where all this debt has come from ?
The 2024 General Election on 14:12 - Oct 13 with 1003 viewsBadgeman

The 2024 General Election on 20:43 - Oct 11 by SullutaCreturned

Where have you got the idea that I am middle class? That's just a crass assumption so you can try to points score.

A gobshite is a gobshite regardless of age, gender or background.

Funny thing, I also have a regional accent, it's SW Walian/Swansea and easily identified as Welsh by anybody from other parts of the UK.

Esited to ask, what is more working class, a politician or a postman/cleaner/car park attendant? Go on, give a straight answer.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2023 20:52]

Just a guess but I think I'm right. Feel free to correct me though. If you're giving me a choice between two options I'd pick postman/cleaner/car park attendant. Not sure what relevance this is to your point though as Angela Rayner undoubtedly hails from a working class family in Stockport. Whether politicians, lawyers or professionals can remain working class is probably a debate for its own thread.

I too have a fairly thick Welsh accent growing up on the north/west area of Swansea, and yes I'll argue Penllergaer has a slightly different accent to Hafod. In my professional life I have felt at times that my accent has been a hindrance and seeing the way people talk about Rayner I often detect the same dismissive snobbery. I suspect you've probably also seen or been victim of the implicit biases a strong regional accent can have. Regardless, I think Angela gets a lot of grief simply because she has an accent. She's clearly an intelligent and capable woman and I look forward to her being deputy prime minister.

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason.
Poll: Is Huw's position untenable?

The 2024 General Election on 14:14 - Oct 13 with 1003 viewsBadgeman

The 2024 General Election on 15:17 - Oct 11 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Gobshyte might be a bit strong but nobody can argue there’s an ounce of intelligence or ability about her.

How does one put themselves through university as a single mother, get elected as an MP and rise to the role of deputy leader of a political party without some semblance of ability?

The 2024 General Election on 14:37 - Oct 13 with 981 viewsWhiterockin

The 2024 General Election on 14:14 - Oct 13 by Badgeman

How does one put themselves through university as a single mother, get elected as an MP and rise to the role of deputy leader of a political party without some semblance of ability?

I thought she never went to university. Apologies if I'm wrong.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

The 2024 General Election on 14:40 - Oct 13 with 970 viewsonehunglow

The 2024 General Election on 14:12 - Oct 13 by Badgeman

Just a guess but I think I'm right. Feel free to correct me though. If you're giving me a choice between two options I'd pick postman/cleaner/car park attendant. Not sure what relevance this is to your point though as Angela Rayner undoubtedly hails from a working class family in Stockport. Whether politicians, lawyers or professionals can remain working class is probably a debate for its own thread.

I too have a fairly thick Welsh accent growing up on the north/west area of Swansea, and yes I'll argue Penllergaer has a slightly different accent to Hafod. In my professional life I have felt at times that my accent has been a hindrance and seeing the way people talk about Rayner I often detect the same dismissive snobbery. I suspect you've probably also seen or been victim of the implicit biases a strong regional accent can have. Regardless, I think Angela gets a lot of grief simply because she has an accent. She's clearly an intelligent and capable woman and I look forward to her being deputy prime minister.

She is as you describe because you are Labour.
Accents nowt to do with it .
Plenty of chips on shoulders about them though. It’s why we see inverted snobbery from the likes of Rayner

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The 2024 General Election on 14:44 - Oct 13 with 954 viewsWhiterockin

The 2024 General Election on 14:40 - Oct 13 by onehunglow

She is as you describe because you are Labour.
Accents nowt to do with it .
Plenty of chips on shoulders about them though. It’s why we see inverted snobbery from the likes of Rayner

This is true, how many prime ministers have had strong regional accents. Only people who fail blame their accent.

The 2024 General Election on 14:54 - Oct 13 with 930 viewsBadgeman

The 2024 General Election on 14:44 - Oct 13 by Whiterockin

This is true, how many prime ministers have had strong regional accents. Only people who fail blame their accent.

I'm not failing, neither is Angela

The 2024 General Election on 15:01 - Oct 13 with 921 viewsWhiterockin

The 2024 General Election on 14:54 - Oct 13 by Badgeman

Did she go to university as you claimed. Secondly is she blaming her accent, I think she is proud of it.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2023 15:02]

The 2024 General Election on 15:37 - Oct 13 with 877 viewsSullutaCreturned

Have you not noticed how many utterly useless politicians have been to university, had families, gotten themselves elected as MP's and risen to higher offices?

Boris Johnson....

On your remark about middle class, My grandftaher and father were postmen, as was I for 20 years and along that journey I also served as the office union rep and H&S officer'
My other grandfather was a miner all his working life so your idea that I am middle class is quite frankly, laughable.
On Angela rayner, her accent or her background have nothing to do with it, I called her a gobshyte because I think she's a gobshyte based purely on WHAT she says not how she says it or her family background.
Now isn't it ironic that you labelled me as something because of something I said, an attack on a labour MP and you turn all protective and assume things about me that are false. Do you assume I'm a tory voter too?
Login to get fewer ads

The 2024 General Election on 15:39 - Oct 13 with 875 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 2024 General Election on 14:54 - Oct 13 by Badgeman

You called me middle class, massive fail
The 2024 General Election on 16:22 - Oct 13 with 853 viewsBadgeman

The 2024 General Election on 15:01 - Oct 13 by Whiterockin

Did she go to university as you claimed. Secondly is she blaming her accent, I think she is proud of it.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2023 15:02]

Apologies I thought she got a degree from the Open University but I must be thinking of someone else. She did go back into education after having a child though.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/labour-education_uk_5dca8440e4b0fcfb7f6c5

The 2024 General Election on 16:29 - Oct 13 with 835 viewsonehunglow

The 2024 General Election on 16:22 - Oct 13 by Badgeman

Apologies I thought she got a degree from the Open University but I must be thinking of someone else. She did go back into education after having a child though.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/labour-education_uk_5dca8440e4b0fcfb7f6c5

Nobody is born into a class.
Class is a label created to keep people in their social milieu .
Nobody is an “ ordinary “ person either . This a term used to appeal to those feeling they are disadvantaged in some way .
I read of upper class and laugh
I read of middle class and muse
I read of working class and weep .

The 2024 General Election on 16:30 - Oct 13 with 833 viewsWhiterockin

The 2024 General Election on 16:22 - Oct 13 by Badgeman

Not a problem.

The 2024 General Election on 16:49 - Oct 13 with 813 viewsBadgeman

The 2024 General Election on 15:37 - Oct 13 by SullutaCreturned

Have you not noticed how many utterly useless politicians have been to university, had families, gotten themselves elected as MP's and risen to higher offices?

Boris Johnson....

On your remark about middle class, My grandftaher and father were postmen, as was I for 20 years and along that journey I also served as the office union rep and H&S officer'
My other grandfather was a miner all his working life so your idea that I am middle class is quite frankly, laughable.
On Angela rayner, her accent or her background have nothing to do with it, I called her a gobshyte because I think she's a gobshyte based purely on WHAT she says not how she says it or her family background.
Now isn't it ironic that you labelled me as something because of something I said, an attack on a labour MP and you turn all protective and assume things about me that are false. Do you assume I'm a tory voter too?

Boris Johnson had all the advantages of going to Eton and being a member of the bullingdon club and he still turned out an @rsewipe. Angela Rayner has had to work hard for everything she's got so its not a fair comparison. I agree that attending a University is no marker on the abilities of our politicians. David Cameron had the finest education money can buy and he still had the stupidity to gamble the economic and political stability of our country to placate a handful of nutters in his party who are now running the country into the ground. While I don't carry a candle for John Major, he did not attend university and I would argue he was the best Tory prime minister of my lifetime.

So you're a retired postman? I sincerely hope you're enjoying a nice, comfortable retirement in a home you worked hard to pay for because its what working people deserve. Under old class definitions you'd probably still be working class but for my younger generation (Under 40s) its not so clear cut. My grandfather worked on the railways, the other died while working in agriculture, my mam and dad both worked in the DVLA where they met. I went to university in Swansea, the first in my family to attend, and I am now lucky enough work there and to own a home in Swansea with my wife. On paper I should be middle class however I am substantially worse off than my working class parents were at my age. By my age they had a house and two kids, took us on nice holidays and provided for us as best as they could. Right now I can't afford to start a family because through no fault of my own I don't know if I'll be able to afford my house in 12 months time. I have friends who work nice professional jobs earning more than me who can't save for a deposit because their rent is eye watering. Class barriers are not what they once were and the societal contract for my generation has been ripped to shreds.

I've got no idea how you vote, unless you've previously said and I've forgotten. From reading your recent posts I think you're someone who has voted tory previously and probably did so very recently but are now disillusioned because they've thrown the country in the toilet. I'd guess you'll probably be voting Lib Dem if Labour don't do a decent enough job of making the argument for change between now and the next election. Am I close or way off the mark?

The 2024 General Election on 17:13 - Oct 13 with 786 viewsonehunglow

The 2024 General Election on 16:49 - Oct 13 by Badgeman

Boris Johnson had all the advantages of going to Eton and being a member of the bullingdon club and he still turned out an @rsewipe. Angela Rayner has had to work hard for everything she's got so its not a fair comparison. I agree that attending a University is no marker on the abilities of our politicians. David Cameron had the finest education money can buy and he still had the stupidity to gamble the economic and political stability of our country to placate a handful of nutters in his party who are now running the country into the ground. While I don't carry a candle for John Major, he did not attend university and I would argue he was the best Tory prime minister of my lifetime.

So you're a retired postman? I sincerely hope you're enjoying a nice, comfortable retirement in a home you worked hard to pay for because its what working people deserve. Under old class definitions you'd probably still be working class but for my younger generation (Under 40s) its not so clear cut. My grandfather worked on the railways, the other died while working in agriculture, my mam and dad both worked in the DVLA where they met. I went to university in Swansea, the first in my family to attend, and I am now lucky enough work there and to own a home in Swansea with my wife. On paper I should be middle class however I am substantially worse off than my working class parents were at my age. By my age they had a house and two kids, took us on nice holidays and provided for us as best as they could. Right now I can't afford to start a family because through no fault of my own I don't know if I'll be able to afford my house in 12 months time. I have friends who work nice professional jobs earning more than me who can't save for a deposit because their rent is eye watering. Class barriers are not what they once were and the societal contract for my generation has been ripped to shreds.

I've got no idea how you vote, unless you've previously said and I've forgotten. From reading your recent posts I think you're someone who has voted tory previously and probably did so very recently but are now disillusioned because they've thrown the country in the toilet. I'd guess you'll probably be voting Lib Dem if Labour don't do a decent enough job of making the argument for change between now and the next election. Am I close or way off the mark?

First sentence…No Eton is not an advantage ,not unless you want to be schooled utterly removed from the reality of 99% of the population.
Sending 7 yr old kids away to Prep schools is about as abusivecas it gets .
Nothing says to a child,you are basically an inconvenience to me,that Hibbing one’s offspring off to be abused as only public schools do.

It’s why so many of them are ruined by their Alma Mater .

We allow them to FEEL inferior.

As for Rayner, she’s hardly a glowing example for mid teens is she . Yeah,she dug herself out of it but it doesn’t excuses her fecklessness .And her hairdresser should be dismembered .

The 2024 General Election on 17:14 - Oct 13 with 785 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

I expect in a very similar way that Boris, Rees Mogg, Kinnock, Hilary Benn and the huge majority of our erstwhile esteemed parliamentarians get to where they are - Sheer naked shameless nepotism.

Marrying a top official of one of the countries biggest unions who are one of the biggest influencers within the Labour Party who also happens to be a multi millionaire city investment banker no doubt would have opened doors that previously would have previously been shut to her. It would have been a lot easier to be selected by the selection committee who then parachuted her into one of the safest seats in the country. In less than a year of being elected as MP she became a shadow minister. Held a number of other shadow roles before becoming deputy leader all within five years.

Now that would be quite the meteoric rise for any politician. Let alone someone who left school with more kids than GCSE’s, only holds a level 2 NVQ and has never had a proper job and generally comes across as thick as mince.

She is one of many who typifies all the problems with public office. And it’s all the parties. People in high up positions doing favours for their wives, husbands, sons, daughters whilst people who do have the real ability and the passion to do something good in politics never get beyond the selection committee process because people like this are being parachuted in instead.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

The 2024 General Election on 18:08 - Oct 13 with 750 viewstrampie

Raynor is a high achiever in my book, she has done well and is too sharp for lots of her opponents on the Governing benches.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The 2024 General Election on 19:37 - Oct 13 with 731 viewsonehunglow

The 2024 General Election on 17:14 - Oct 13 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

I expect in a very similar way that Boris, Rees Mogg, Kinnock, Hilary Benn and the huge majority of our erstwhile esteemed parliamentarians get to where they are - Sheer naked shameless nepotism.

Marrying a top official of one of the countries biggest unions who are one of the biggest influencers within the Labour Party who also happens to be a multi millionaire city investment banker no doubt would have opened doors that previously would have previously been shut to her. It would have been a lot easier to be selected by the selection committee who then parachuted her into one of the safest seats in the country. In less than a year of being elected as MP she became a shadow minister. Held a number of other shadow roles before becoming deputy leader all within five years.

Now that would be quite the meteoric rise for any politician. Let alone someone who left school with more kids than GCSE’s, only holds a level 2 NVQ and has never had a proper job and generally comes across as thick as mince.

She is one of many who typifies all the problems with public office. And it’s all the parties. People in high up positions doing favours for their wives, husbands, sons, daughters whilst people who do have the real ability and the passion to do something good in politics never get beyond the selection committee process because people like this are being parachuted in instead.

Wow.

The 2024 General Election on 20:12 - Oct 13 with 715 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 2024 General Election on 16:49 - Oct 13 by Badgeman

No, I am not fully retired, I was retired by Royal Mailon medical grounds 12 years ago but at 56 am currently working full time, as is my wife.

Another wrong assumption by you.

Yes, Bojo had all the advantages, a very good education and made it to be PM and he was (and remains) an utter stain on this country, his ability is not in question, he is very good at lying and hiding infridges, otherwise he is useless.

Yet again you are way off the mark. Iwalked away from Labour because of Tony Blair, these days I look for other chices besides the "big three" and at the last election I actually voted for the green candidate.
If you paid proper attention I am nearly always crtical of all politicians but especially Labour and Tory. I had hoped Starmer would be a good choice but he is a wet lettuce. The truth there is he needs the gobshyte Rayner because she is his backbone.

I and my wife didn't inherit any property, we weren't left large sums of money, everything we have WE work and pay for.

Here you go, take the tes for yourself. I am apparently a new affluent worker.
The 2024 General Election on 20:33 - Oct 13 with 705 viewsBadgeman

The 2024 General Election on 20:12 - Oct 13 by SullutaCreturned

No, I am not fully retired, I was retired by Royal Mailon medical grounds 12 years ago but at 56 am currently working full time, as is my wife.

Another wrong assumption by you.

Yes, Bojo had all the advantages, a very good education and made it to be PM and he was (and remains) an utter stain on this country, his ability is not in question, he is very good at lying and hiding infridges, otherwise he is useless.

Yet again you are way off the mark. Iwalked away from Labour because of Tony Blair, these days I look for other chices besides the "big three" and at the last election I actually voted for the green candidate.
If you paid proper attention I am nearly always crtical of all politicians but especially Labour and Tory. I had hoped Starmer would be a good choice but he is a wet lettuce. The truth there is he needs the gobshyte Rayner because she is his backbone.

I and my wife didn't inherit any property, we weren't left large sums of money, everything we have WE work and pay for.

Here you go, take the tes for yourself. I am apparently a new affluent worker.

What test? There’s no need to be rude to me because I’m not an expert on your life and post history. What a disagreeable and needlessly salty reply.

The 2024 General Election on 20:35 - Oct 13 with 705 viewsonehunglow

The 2024 General Election on 20:33 - Oct 13 by Badgeman

What test? There’s no need to be rude to me because I’m not an expert on your life and post history. What a disagreeable and needlessly salty reply.

There is a need to get sAlty with you and what you post.
You need to look into the mirror.

The 2024 General Election on 20:39 - Oct 13 with 705 viewsWingstandwood

Whenever I see a parliamentarian, M.P, minister or A.M I always ask myself two questions i.e. would that person ever be headhunted by big business for talent and ability, as opposed to 'lobbying usefullness, fame and access to all the right people in power'..... and how long would that person last out there in the real world where failure/incompetence ends up with the sack?

Take the Kinnocks as a prime example! Seriously (hot air aside) what would any of them have ever been able to offer to a FTSE listed company.

And John Prescott? Or Adam Price? Or some Tory Eton/Oxford/Cambridge boy or girl who got where they did via ‘old school’ contacts e.g. Boris Johnson with Max Hastings etc. Boris Johnson only lasted one week in one place!!!!

A lot of them have spent their entire existence in a comfort zone and parallel universe without profit or loss accountability.

That is why many do not value money and are experts at wasting it. Serioulsy, if Drakeford was a CEO of a FTSE 100 company the news of his appointment would result in an immeadiate share price plunge, profit warning and AGM shareholder revolt. And I'm not joking either!

https://order-order.com/2023/10/13/welsh-government-spending-9-million-on-woke-j
[Post edited 13 Oct 2023 20:40]

Argus!

The 2024 General Election on 22:08 - Oct 13 with 647 viewsmajorraglan

The 2024 General Election on 14:44 - Oct 13 by Whiterockin

That’s BS. I’ve got a mate who now has a very good job in the City, when he started up there it was made clear to him that he had to lose his accent if he wanted to get on. So he lost his accent and his career took off.
Margaret Thatcher had “voice” training. I personally love accents, but there’s a lot of people out there who sneer at accents and it does hold people back.
The 2024 General Election on 22:51 - Oct 13 with 615 viewsWhiterockin

The 2024 General Election on 22:08 - Oct 13 by majorraglan

That’s BS. I’ve got a mate who now has a very good job in the City, when he started up there it was made clear to him that he had to lose his accent if he wanted to get on. So he lost his accent and his career took off.
Margaret Thatcher had “voice” training. I personally love accents, but there’s a lot of people out there who sneer at accents and it does hold people back.

If you are good enough you will succeed irrespective of your accent, if your not you won't.

The 2024 General Election on 23:46 - Oct 13 with 593 viewsBadgeman

She married a Unison official and from that you’ve extrapolated a baseless conspiracy where everything was handed to her. It makes for a nice conspiracy but it’s typical of the sexism women from working class backgrounds face.

Labour candidates for Parliamentary elections are selected by local members within the constituency party, not this fabled selection committee you speak of. Candidates are panelled to ensure they are eligible to stand and the NEC might impose candidates from a shortlist of panelled candidates if there is a snap election but Angela Rayner was elected by local members and stood in a fair contest against other candidates. Also parachuting in refers to dropping candidates into safe seats where they have little to no connection to the area. Rayner is from the area she represents and the seat had less than a 10K majority at the election prior to her selection so there were probably a good 100 or so more seats safer than hers in Parliament.

“Never had a proper job.” State on that comment. Being a care worker for years doesn’t count as having ever had a proper job apparently.

The 2024 General Election on 23:47 - Oct 13 with 592 viewsBadgeman

The 2024 General Election on 20:39 - Oct 13 by Wingstandwood

Whenever I see a parliamentarian, M.P, minister or A.M I always ask myself two questions i.e. would that person ever be headhunted by big business for talent and ability, as opposed to 'lobbying usefullness, fame and access to all the right people in power'..... and how long would that person last out there in the real world where failure/incompetence ends up with the sack?

Take the Kinnocks as a prime example! Seriously (hot air aside) what would any of them have ever been able to offer to a FTSE listed company.

And John Prescott? Or Adam Price? Or some Tory Eton/Oxford/Cambridge boy or girl who got where they did via ‘old school’ contacts e.g. Boris Johnson with Max Hastings etc. Boris Johnson only lasted one week in one place!!!!

A lot of them have spent their entire existence in a comfort zone and parallel universe without profit or loss accountability.

That is why many do not value money and are experts at wasting it. Serioulsy, if Drakeford was a CEO of a FTSE 100 company the news of his appointment would result in an immeadiate share price plunge, profit warning and AGM shareholder revolt. And I'm not joking either!

https://order-order.com/2023/10/13/welsh-government-spending-9-million-on-woke-j
[Post edited 13 Oct 2023 20:40]

Rishi Sunak worked for Goldman Sachs. Do you think he’s doing a good job as Prime Minister?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024